2017 - 2018 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If true, those PDs are smart. A good IM prelim will probably run circles knowledge-wise around many surgical prelims. The former tend to get better teaching, and have much more time to read (plus usually have higher USMLE scores to begin with). Of course, I have seen pretty bad IM prelims, too, while some of my best co-residents had done a surgical prelim.

Still, in my mind, an internist is to an anesthesiologist as a surgeon is to a CRNA.
Was good until you compared a surgeon to a CRNA. That's like comparing oranges to apples. Totally different. Disagree on this point, I have respect to both careers.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Was good until you compared a surgeon to a CRNA. That's like comparing oranges to apples. Totally different. Disagree on this point, I have respect to both careers.
That's not what I said.

Once you've worked with a number of internists, surgeons and CRNAs, you will find a similitude between how some surgeons and CRNAs approach things, while many good anesthesiologists think closer to the level an internist would (just faster). Because of limited IM knowledge, many surgeons and CRNAs usually lack perspective about the impact of co-existing diseases.

Of course, generalizations are dangerous and probably untrue. I still recommend a strong IM prelim to anybody who takes anesthesiology seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
That's not what I said.

Once you've worked with a number of internists, surgeons and CRNAs, you will find a similitude between how some surgeons and CRNAs approach things, while many good anesthesiologists think closer to the level an internist would (just faster). Because of limited IM knowledge, many surgeons and CRNAs usually lack perspective about the impact of co-existing diseases.

Of course, generalizations are dangerous and probably untrue. I still recommend a strong IM prelim to anybody who takes anesthesiology seriously.

Yes, well stated. A good background knowledge of medicine is essential to becoming a good anesthesiologist, IMHO.

If we get to the point where we want to cancel interviews through ERAS, does selecting the decline option allow us to do that or do we need to email the program coordinator?

West coast DO applicant here currently sitting at 3 interviews. I know it's too early to start sending e-mails out, but would mid-October be more reasonable? I feel that I have a pretty competitive app, but most of the programs I'm applying too are mid-west and NE and my app shows no ties to those areas. Any other west coast DOs in a similar boat? If so, what's your game plan?

West coast DO applicant here currently sitting at 3 interviews. I know it's too early to start sending e-mails out, but would mid-October be more reasonable? I feel that I have a pretty competitive app, but most of the programs I'm applying too are mid-west and NE and my app shows no ties to those areas. Any other west coast DOs in a similar boat? If so, what's your game plan?

Seems a little early even through October to send out emails of desperation. I think you just need a little patience, still lots of time to get interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Try to be patient until the first 2-3 weeks of October are over. I can't remember specific program names off the top of my head, but I remember reading a few places don't send out interviews until they've received the MSPE (assuming all other document requirements are met). Also at some point, people will begin to cancel interviews, which I think will lead to more invites being sent out.

Sure. That can be said of any specialty. You're not "guaranteed" a spot in Pediatrics either. Just saying these days if you have a pulse, you can match Anesthesia.

@Rads312 you should be good since you have a pulse. Anyone can match, just apply and you're in.

Up to six interviews, been a good week for me.
Stagnated at 1 interview even though I applied to all programs outside of California pretty much, still no sign of my ecfmg certificate after 2 months of finishing all steps. 100% going to miss the deadline of several programs. Time to start applying to more programs. Great week. Hope I don't **** up that interview.

Stagnated at 1 interview even though I applied to all programs outside of California pretty much, still no sign of my ecfmg certificate after 2 months of finishing all steps. 100% going to miss the deadline of several programs. Time to start applying to more programs. Great week. Hope I don't **** up that interview.

ECFMG certification is ran by who? What entity did you pay for that? Try not to be too discouraged, there is still time.

ECFMG certification is ran by who? What entity did you pay for that? Try not to be too discouraged, there is still time.
Run by... ECFMG, I guess no better way to describe it. It just has been a frustrating process. Hopefully you are right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone on this thread received a Temple interview? If so, would you be so kind as to send itinerary information to me? Much appreciated!

Run by... ECFMG, I guess no better way to describe it. It just has been a frustrating process. Hopefully you are right.

ok, I was thinking it might be another money scheme ran by the dishonest AAMC.

Has anyone on this thread received a Temple interview? If so, would you be so kind as to send itinerary information to me? Much appreciated!

I have received an invite and accepted. At this point, all I know is the date. Nothing more.

Has anyone got preliminary/transitional interviews? Despite success thus far in anesthesia invites, I have received none from the preliminary/transitional programs? Not too worried about that because I can't afford to go on many of these anyway, but also want to avoid a prelim surgery scramble in March.

Has anyone got preliminary/transitional interviews? Despite success thus far in anesthesia invites, I have received none from the preliminary/transitional programs? Not too worried about that because I can't afford to go on many of these anyway, but also want to avoid a prelim surgery scramble in March.

Based on the spreadsheet, it seems there haven't been many invites yet...I've only got 2 so far

Based on the spreadsheet, it seems there haven't been many invites yet...I've only got 2 so far

Yea, with October and all applications have the ability to be complete, invites should begin to accelerate.

@Rads312 you should be good since you have a pulse. Anyone can match, just apply and you're in.

I'm an Integrated IR resident, so I won't do that. I have an Anesthesia background already which is why i commented to begin with. Good luck with the match.

Every program that has offered me an interview appears to be a low-tier, IMG-filled, ultra-malignant workhorse with an awkward interview and no protected didactic time (according to last year's sheet). So that's making me feel SUPER GREAT.

Every program that has offered me an interview appears to be a low-tier, IMG-filled, ultra-malignant workhorse with an awkward interview and no protected didactic time (according to last year's sheet). So that's making me feel SUPER GREAT.

...you knew those facts about the programs when you completed ERAS though...(?):eyebrow:

Reactions: 2 users

What "sheet" are you referring to?

Didn't mgh offer you an interview?

I'll take any interviews you don't want.

What is the normal/expected attire for the evening before social with residents? Blue jeans and nice shirt, or more formal? Don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

Didn't mgh offer you an interview?

I pretend that one doesn't exist for my own sanity, though it is scheduled and I am preparing my biggest, most confident smile. I haven't heard from anything else in that tier yet. Second wave etc. etc. Maybe?

As for things I did and didn't know, I knew at the time I should apply to anything that might take me because my Step 1 was so mediocre. Now I know a little better and have options...sort of. I'm hoping for a few more to pan out.

What is the normal/expected attire for the evening before social with residents? Blue jeans and nice shirt, or more formal? Don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

Depends (as always). But I think it's just long-sleeve, collared shirt and decent long pants (such as khakis). Jeans would be too informal and you run the risk of being the most underdressed person

Depends (as always). But I think it's just long-sleeve, collared shirt and decent long pants (such as khakis). Jeans would be too informal and you run the risk of being the most underdressed person

Long sleeve buttoned up collared shirt and khakis, got it, Thanks.

Now I just have to remember not to get trashed at the dinner. I wonder how information from these dinners/socials gets transmitted back to the program director or selection committee.

Now I just have to remember not to get trashed at the dinner. I wonder how information from these dinners/socials gets transmitted back to the program director or selection committee.

It depends largely on whether you're a funny drunk, an angry drunk, or a man who gets white girl wasted. The first one is acceptable, the last two are not.

At our program, the residents meet after the last interviews, and formulate their own rank list. This is when things like "got drunk at the dinner and kissed the host" get said, and weighed. The residents who acted as recruiters then present their list at the main Rank List meeting...with the reasons why they liked one person over another. And again, the "got drunk at the dinner and kissed the host" story gets told. Sometimes it is funny and no big deal, and sometimes it is a solid "no, we are not ranking that person". Not saying don't drink, but rather drink in moderation. especially if you are the type to kiss people after a few. :)

Also, at our dinners, nice shirt and nice jeans are fine. But then, I tell you that in the email I send. Most programs do give you a heads up on the dress code for the dinner.

Be sure to tell them you are not racist and treat all people equally.

Sorry couldn't help myself. Poor impulse control.

Be sure to tell them you are not racist and treat all people equally.

Sorry couldn't help myself. Poor impulse control.

Talk about attempting to derail a thread, wow, that has no place here. A rational person would have the discipline to leave this discussion in the appropriate forum.

Keep it civil please. Thread is very close to being locked as it is. Thanks.

Locked? What are you referring to? One user makes an entirely inappropriate comment and you'll lock it? Why not discipline that user instead of punishing the rest of us who have been making appropriate posts that have been on topic?

You can't be serious about locking the anesthesiology residency application thread.

Talk about attempting to derail a thread, wow, that has no place here. A rational person would have the discipline to leave this discussion in the appropriate forum.

I'm starting to think you are just wound too tight. Relax, laugh a little, especially at yourself. If you're sensitive all the time, people are going to pile on. Residency, and particularly anesthesia, is all about learning to swallow a s*** sandwich and laugh while you do it. If you let surgeons and OR staff and attendings tweak you constantly, it will be a long 4 years.

Also, while sarcastic, he had a point. Don't bring up those other topics at interview dinners. You never know who's going to take something the wrong way, and I can tell you that most of your colleagues are not going to have similar viewpoints to you. I would say stick to things like sports, but that might derail quickly. So maybe stick to safe stuff like movies, the geography, hobbies, etc.

Wear a button-down and slacks, even if the invite says jeans. It's never over-dressing, and you don't want to be the least dressed person there. Have 0, 1, or maybe at most 2 drinks if the event goes on for awhile. Some residents may take it as the opportunity to get sloshed, resist the urge to follow suit. Nothing you do at the dinner is going to guarantee your acceptance, but some things at the dinner will guarantee your rejection.

Reactions: 5 users
Also, while sarcastic, he had a point. Don't bring up those other topics at interview dinners. You never know who's going to take something the wrong way, and I can tell you that most of your colleagues are not going to have similar viewpoints to you. I would say stick to things like sports, but that might derail quickly. So maybe stick to safe stuff like movies, the geography, hobbies, etc.

Wear a button-down and slacks, even if the invite says jeans. It's never over-dressing, and you don't want to be the least dressed person there. Have 0, 1, or maybe at most 2 drinks if the event goes on for awhile. Some residents may take it as the opportunity to get sloshed, resist the urge to follow suit. Nothing you do at the dinner is going to guarantee your acceptance, but some things at the dinner will guarantee your rejection.

ohooo man....gotta study a few maps before dinner to get ranked?! im on it. (also, 1.5 s*** sandwiches for me, please and thank you). :nod:

i know that SDN represents a minuscule portion of the applicant pool, but i really RLY hope that through God's grace and the match, that there are very few (aka none) of my future co-interns posting vehemently on this forum. please, please. amen.

p.s. i'll take a few of you though! good luck mates!

So is the new Brown/RI program going to accept applicants this year?
Wait what?

The Brown University/Rhode Island Hospital program is in ERAS now... the program was approved for 12 spots per CA class in early September but it only just processed to ERAS this week. :)

(source: brown ms4 currently rotating with the docs running the residency)

ohooo man....gotta study a few maps before dinner to get ranked?! im on it. (also, 1.5 s*** sandwiches for me, please and thank you). :nod:

i know that SDN represents a minuscule portion of the applicant pool, but i really RLY hope that through God's grace and the match, that there are very few (aka none) of my future co-interns posting vehemently on this forum. please, please. amen.

Lol, I know it sounds weird, but I couldn't figure out a better way to put it. Like, how far is the beach/mountain/city/airport/etc? But, if you don't get all 50 state capitals, that is major deductions on your ranking.

I actually knew a few of my co-interns through SDN, but they ended up not being the ones I was closest to. Despite appearances, many people don't even know SDN exists.

The Brown University/Rhode Island Hospital program is in ERAS now... the program was approved for 12 spots per CA class in early September but it only just processed to ERAS this week. :)

(source: brown ms4 currently rotating with the docs running the residency)

12 sounds like a large number of trainees to take on for an institution that hasn’t had that specialty before...

Agree! There is always one or two applicants a year that drink too much, get hammered and honestly put forth a bad look during the interview dinner. They typically go unranked.

And as for residents we had one a couple years ago who would almost as a rule get 4-5 drinks and encourage all around to follow suit. The administration was pretty hacked off and denied him a fellowship position (for a minimally-competitive subspecialty). Don’t be that person either!

What does it matter if future co-interns are posting on here? Are you such a shallow person that you can't get along with someone who shares different political beliefs than yourself? I have friends that are extremely liberal and conservative, doesn't affect friendships one bit.

SDN seems to have a liberal tilt, so you'll most likely be disappointed in residency where there will be an equal prevalence.

Is there somewhere to look up fellowship matches by residency program if a program doesn't post on their website where recent grads are going?

Any one else having a slow week with interview invites? Through last week, I had six, and got one so far this week. Not complaining too much, but most of my invites have been from back up programs and I don't want to waste my time or theirs if I can avoid it, especially if I can secure some interviews at some of the places I prefer to go.

Any one else having a slow week with interview invites? Through last week, I had six, and got one so far this week. Not complaining too much, but most of my invites have been from back up programs and I don't want to waste my time or theirs if I can avoid it, especially if I can secure some interviews at some of the places I prefer to go.
Got all my IIs before Oct 1st.. none since then...