2017 - 2018 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone that matched and best of luck to those who are SOAPing.

I am an MS3 interested in anesthesia, looking to do away rotations.

Any insights into the following programs would be appreciated: UMass, UConn and Stony Brooks

As someone said earlier in the thread they were a little weird. I really liked it because of the location but ended up going to my #2. I ranked it a little lower than I wanted too. I think I actually would have been really happy here. It seemed like a cool place.

Members don't see this ad.

As someone said earlier in the thread they were a little weird. I really liked it because of the location but ended up going to my #2. I ranked it a little lower than I wanted too. I think I actually would have been really happy here. It seemed like a cool place.

Which one are you talking about?

they were a little weird.

If you're talking about U conn, in my experience they were more rude than weird - at least during my visit. But definitely both column A and column B. Glad I didn't end up there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which one are you talking about?

Sorry, forgot to post the quote. It was for UConn.

UConn is interesting in that it's a hybrid private/university model. I felt like it was a good program but certain things about some staff seemed a little weird to me. I couldn't put my finger on it. UMass is in Worcester. So, yeah.

hi guys, I've been studying very successfully with sps for my USMLEs and I was hoping to also find a online sp to study with during Anesthesiology residency. If you are interested in regular study sessions pls pm. Congrats to everyone who matched!

Got into a residency and now I'm thinking how to survive my prelim surg year (SOAPed in). I had a moment where I seriously debated killing my pet because no one would take her and I wouldn't have time. Yay! (She's fine).

Got into a residency and now I'm thinking how to survive my prelim surg year (SOAPed in). I had a moment where I seriously debated killing my pet because no one would take her and I wouldn't have time. Yay! (She's fine).
Very interested in your match story. Would love to talk more in DM. I’m kinda in a similar situation as an MS3.

I had a moment where I seriously debated killing my pet because no one would take her and I wouldn't have time. Yay! (She's fine).

Please seek help and get rid of your poor animal.

Reactions: 4 users
Please seek help and get rid of your poor animal.

It was a moment of absolute meltdown. Many people love her and would take her if I could not care for her. I have never harmed my pet.

It’s not really a “match” - all you need is ONE to like you and offer you a spot and you’re done.

I was talking with one Anesthesiology program in the NE, when I asked what the strongest part of the program was the interviewer/PD responded “Well, to be honest, it’s me!” Some weird people out there.

Definetly talking about mount Sinai

Might Be a bit late to the party but is there a list of DO friendly Anesthesia programs? Going through Frieda is a stab in the dark because its not as uptodate as people think and doing a search of each program will take forever. Can anyone help out ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it’s safe to say if a program hasn’t taken a DO in the past cycle or two, I might not bother

Might Be a bit late to the party but is there a list of DO friendly Anesthesia programs? Going through Frieda is a stab in the dark because its not as uptodate as people think and doing a search of each program will take forever. Can anyone help out ?

1) look where your school’s recent graduates went (and applied/interviewed).

2) Look at Current resident lists. If you see no DOs, move on.

Reactions: 1 user
Gosh, who knows? Depends on your stats, probably and how many slots they have each year. But if it’s a large program and there’s only 1 or 0 per class you probably have to be a hyper-competitive applicant to get in.
hmm good point. thats why im doing more community-based hospitals and former AOAs. Thanks for the advise yall

anyone know call structure, hours, for Mount Sinai main? Particularly intern year for surgery and IM and CA1 year?

I think it’s safe to say if a program hasn’t taken a DO in the past cycle or two, I might not bother

I was "ranked to match" at a program that in it's 50 years has never taken a DO. They called me on match day to tell me I was their #2 rank and good luck. I think they were upset that I chose to train down the street from them instead.

I would have never applied to this program because of them not being DO friendly, but it was in the city where I wanted to practice. I matched in the same city to a program with a better name nationally, but is a weaker Anesthesia program. I fit in much better to my matched program. I have questioned my decision each day since. I have told other people about this and have been told I was crazy not to rank the swanky program first.

It doesn't make any sense for a program to call you on match day and wish you good luck. By that time, the program already knows who they matched (they find out late afternoon on Thursday). A phone call at that point has no impact on the outcome. If they wanted to call you, it would make sense for them to call you near the deadline for you to enter your rank list, not on match day.
Why would they call you with that little tidbit of information when they already know who they matched?

It doesn't make any sense for a program to call you on match day and wish you good luck. By that time, the program already knows who they matched (they find out late afternoon on Thursday). A phone call at that point has no impact on the outcome. If they wanted to call you, it would make sense for them to call you near the deadline for you to enter your rank list, not on match day.
Why would they call you with that little tidbit of information when they already know who they matched?

This board is nuts.

Why does it matter to you? I made a personal connection with the program chair during my interview. We attended the same undergrad institution and he genuinely wanted to wish me well, however there were undertones of frustration that I picked a lesser program.

In fact I've been contacted by two other programs post match trying to get all kinds of information out of me. So there are a lot of reasons to reach out.

I think he's saying that the program called after match day, with both parties having learned the outcome, to wish him luck at the other institution (and throw a little salt by telling him that they know he ranked them lower).

This board is nuts.

Why does it matter to you? I made a personal connection with the program chair during my interview. We attended the same undergrad institution and he genuinely wanted to wish me well, however there were undertones of frustration that I picked a lesser program.

In fact I've been contacted by two other programs post match trying to get all kinds of information out of me. So there are a lot of reasons to reach out.
I misread. I thought he called you prior to you finding out your match. No harm intended.

I have radio silence from my advanced program so far. Despite phone messages left. What are your experiences?

Please advice-OMS-III with level 1 529 and level 2 slightly bellow 500. Extended research experience-11 projects, no publications, no steps taken.

What are my chances in allo/osteo program and any advice how I can boost up the little (by my assess) chances. Should I even bother?
Any advice/comment will be highly appreciated.

Have you taken USMLEs? Your COMLEX scores are suboptimal and nearly all successful DO applicants need step scores.

You’re extended research experience is a little concerning - you have 11 projects and nothing, zero, zilch to show for it??

Have you taken USMLEs? Your COMLEX scores are suboptimal and nearly all successful DO applicants need step scores.

You’re extended research experience is a little concerning - you have 11 projects and nothing, zero, zilch to show for it??

I did not take the steps. No publications, because that was not my fgal when I was involved at the research. But yea, I have been involved in 11 projects in 3 different hospitals.
No steps, no publications.

I did not take the steps. No publications, because that was not my fgal when I was involved at the research. But yea, I have been involved in 11 projects in 3 different hospitals.
No steps, no publications.

Then what was your goal doing research? This is strange.

My program was relatively DO-friendly but required steps. Most others (but not all) do as well.

To be honest it’s a very marginal app, if you apply you should probably also have a backup specialty ready to go. You have to be a competitive DO applicant it would seem, meaning comlex > 600 for most.

My program was relatively DO-friendly but required steps. Most others (but not all) do as well.

To be honest it’s a very marginal app, if you apply you should probably also have a backup specialty ready to go. You have to be a competitive DO applicant it would seem, meaning comlex > 600 for most.

When I was doing research I did not know I would have beten in a med school, for this reason I never thought abt publications. It was a genuine interest in the science -we won a nationwide award, it was very imressive back then.
I know where I stand, but there must be programs out there which consider levels. By any chance do you (or anyone else on SDN) know which programs are considering applicants with ONLY levels. Im more intrested in the south states. Tnx admiral..

Admiral...what difference (if any) will make if I sit for step 2ck and do well.
Do u think my chances are much better or, since I don't have step 1, it wont make any difference. Tnx..

Admiral...what difference (if any) will make if I sit for step 2ck and do well.
Do u think my chances are much better or, since I don't have step 1, it wont make any difference. Tnx..

I would say that a good CK score without a Step 1 doesn't improve your chances all that much.

I would say that a good CK score without a Step 1 doesn't improve your chances all that much.
Tnx butter...I am confused, just today a friend of mine who already matched in UF says taking 2 CK would make a huge difference-at least will shsow improvement from level 2 (of course assuming I hit above the average score). Also, I know many ppl from my class will not sit for 2 ck, after they took step 1. How this one plays?...tnx

Tnx butter...I am confused, just today a friend of mine who already matched in UF says taking 2 CK would make a huge difference-at least will shsow improvement from level 2 (of course assuming I hit above the average score). Also, I know many ppl from my class will not sit for 2 ck, after they took step 1. How this one plays?...tnx
I feel like most the of the filtering process revolves around step 1 so a step 2 without anything to see improvement off is like pissing in the wind

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like most the of the filtering process revolves around step 1 so a step 2 without anything to see improvement off is like pissing in the wind

Any STEP is better than no STEP. I don’t care about improvement if you get a 250

Any STEP is better than no STEP. I don’t care about improvement if you get a 250
not gonna argue with any step is better than no step but if you get screened out for not doing step 1 , step 2 doesnt mean a hell of beans .

not gonna argue with any step is better than no step but if you get screened out for not doing step 1 , step 2 doesnt mean a hell of beans .

I agree with you, at the same time "the glowing" has a point- 2 CK with a good score (already passed 2x UW) more likely to open more doors, then closing any. Makes sense to me.
Palls, thank you for the output -today i decided-will go for it.
Good luck yall

I agree with you, at the same time "the glowing" has a point- 2 CK with a good score (already passed 2x UW) more likely to open more doors, then closing any. Makes sense to me.
Palls, thank you for the output -today i decided-will go for it.
Good luck yall

Do what you want to (Step 2 CK without Step 1... what would I do with that info?), but your predicted CK is quite a bit lower based on COMLEX so study hard/better. Again, have a backup specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
Crpa
Do what you want to (Step 2 CK without Step 1... what would I do with that info?), but your predicted CK is quite a bit lower based on COMLEX so study hard/better. Again, have a backup specialty.[/QUOTE
Craplex is in no way prediction of anything-medical knowledge or test taking skills. It is a test that, one cant be prepared as good as the step.
20-30% of the qns go inder the Sbj of ..WTF. Adding OMM is not my favorite discipline, resulted in that score..
As I mentioned-I passed it 2x, and I left the test center like I wasted my time studying.
Anyhow, craplex score does not have any prediction/assessment how much the student knows. I read that before, I did not believe it, till came out of the test.
Tnx...

Hoping to reach out to those who have matched this past year - I've dug through the spreadsheet page for pearls, but any other feedback/impressions would be greatly appreciated

How do the quality lesser known/community known programs within NYC or Boston proper rank?

NYC: From what I gather, SLR seems to have a good rep, but unsure what to make of programs after that - Maimo vs various SUNY, NYU Brooklyn vs others?
Boston: Unsure what options available beyond St. Elizabeths, and unsure of its reputation

Last edited:
we gonna get an anesthesia excel sheet going ?