2017 - 2018 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Guys... 6 more hours! I cannot fall asleep.

Edit : there are 51 unfilled anesthesia spots.... wow

Last edited:
SOAPing. You know all that advice I've given about working hard on anesthesia rotations and being as helpful as possible? It turns out you're better off just passing Step I on the first try.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
SOAPing. You know all that advice I've given about working hard on anesthesia rotations and being as helpful as possible? It turns out you're better off just passing Step I on the first try.

Well, yes. I was told that audition rotations are rarely very helpful.

Good luck!

If I'm understanding correctly, there were 56 last year - after SOAP was done.

According the NRMP outcome, there were 53 positions available for soap, of those, 52 were filled in 2017. In 2016, there were 51 and 48 filled.

Surgical prelim tho... 486 positions available, filled 442. Dang.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would do this:
- Find out which programs have advance positions (PGY2 = CA1) to be filled in the following match (usually the same as the places that one now).
- SOAP for a surgery prelim in the institutions where those PGY2 positions exists. Easier to get and more exposure to ICU (SICU, CICU, etc) and ORs.
- Schedule a meeting within a month of starting inter year with your GenSurg PD and Anes PD of said institution and talk clearly and honestly about your goal of going into Anes.
- If you have an elective do it in Anes at the same institution.
- Pass Step 3 with a more than reasonable score.
- Work hard and make some allies. Your chiefs, your mentors and the attendings that you work closely with can vouch for you to the Anes PD. Do not complain.
- Outside rotations are an option but is always weird and not very productive when when we get an outside PGY1 prelim at our institution. The idea is to maximize face-time while doing something productive so that you can shine. Outside rotators do a lot of watching.

There are several institutions with PGY-2 spots not too many but enough that to have some options.

Hey, thanks so much for this. I ended up matching into an advanced spot! Hopefully SOAPing into medicine prelim this week.

Hey, thanks so much for this. I ended up matching into an advanced spot! Hopefully SOAPing into medicine prelim this week.

Be sure to add some surgery prelim spots to be safe, your competition for a medicine year will be STEEP. Otherwise your choices in later SOAP rounds will be highly malignant surgical prelims or those in BFE.

If I'm understanding correctly, there were 56 last year - after SOAP was done.

Last year there were 56 unfilled PGY1 spots before SOAP, plus 27 PGY2 spots. Things are a lot tighter this year. Of course I can't go into specifics, but a lot of the programs that had tons of unfilled spots the last couple of years all filled this time. The competitiveness of anesthesiology is highly cyclical. It looks like 2016 and 2017 were the very bottom of the cycle, and things are going to get more competitive from now on.

Did you crush a bunch of audition rotations but still didn't match cause you had to retake step 1? How many interviews?

According the NRMP outcome, there were 53 positions available for soap, of those, 52 were filled in 2017. In 2016, there were 51 and 48 filled.

Surgical prelim tho... 486 positions available, filled 442. Dang.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Where do you see that? The match summary lists 1202 available, 1146 filled. Is that before SOAP?

So I found out what city I match to for my advanced position, pretty bummed as its pretty far from my husband, kids and my home. Definitely better than not matching at all but still I'm not happy. Is there a possibility of transferring closer to home, even though said programs did not rank me high enough (despite great feedback)

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you crush a bunch of audition rotations but still didn't match cause you had to retake step 1? How many interviews?

Pretty much. I also failed surgery (sort of, I passed each part of the rotation but the way the grades were averaged I failed the whole thing). I only had three interviews so I knew I was at high risk for not matching. I really should have applied to FM or IM as a backup but I wasn't convinced I could fake an interest in them for three years.

Where do you see that? The match summary lists 1202 available, 1146 filled. Is that before SOAP?

Yes, the numbers in the NRMP match summary are before SOAP. Basically all spots in all residencies fill in SOAP except for the very bottom of the surgery prelims.

Successfully couples matched today. Thank God. Congrats to those who were successful today and very best of luck to those that were less fortunate. Such a brutal, feast or famine process.

Reactions: 6 users

Best of luck. We're you able to secure an interview at the new Ocala Florida program?

Successfully couples matched today. Thank God. Congrats to those who were successful today and very best of luck to those that were less fortunate. Such a brutal, feast or famine process.

Congratulations! Went through the same process last year and it was quite the experience. Went on something like 60 interviews between the 2 of us.

That feeling when you find out you both matched in the same place...absolutely priceless.

Good luck on Friday!

Congratulations! Went through the same process last year and it was quite the experience. Went on something like 60 interviews between the 2 of us.

Hooooooooly hell. Is that counting prelim? I did 13 and she did 17 ... and we thought that was a lot. Yall doubled us. I only did categorical, and I'm so incredibly glad I did.

Thanks! So incredibly excited and fortunate to have a spot in basically the only specialty I could see myself doing.

Does anyone have any intuition about how many prelim interviews in the SOAP we should have to comfortably match? I'm partially matched.

Does anyone have any intuition about how many prelim interviews in the SOAP we should have to comfortably match? I'm partially matched.

SOAP is a very chaotic process so it's hard to say, but maybe at least 5 to be comfortable. Although I don't know if you can ever really be comfortable during the SOAP

It’s not really a “match” - all you need is ONE to like you and offer you a spot and you’re done.

I was talking with one Anesthesiology program in the NE, when I asked what the strongest part of the program was the interviewer/PD responded “Well, to be honest, it’s me!” Some weird people out there.

I was talking with one Anesthesiology program in the NE, when I asked what the strongest part of the program was the interviewer/PD responded “Well, to be honest, it’s me!” Some weird people out there.
To be fair, I heard he benched around tree fiddy. Do you even lift, bro?

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone that matched and best of luck to those who are SOAPing.

I am an MS3 interested in anesthesia, looking to do away rotations.

Any insights into the following programs would be appreciated: UMass, UConn and Stony Brooks

UConn is interesting in that it's a hybrid private/university model. I felt like it was a good program but certain things about some staff seemed a little weird to me. I couldn't put my finger on it. UMass is in Worcester. So, yeah.

UConn is interesting in that it's a hybrid private/university model. I felt like it was a good program but certain things about some staff seemed a little weird to me. I couldn't put my finger on it. UMass is in Worcester. So, yeah.

Biggest pro: moonlighting at $130/h

Congrats! Couples matched in anesthesia yesterday too, so I know the feeling well!

I had to soap a prelim, and I skipped a nice weather Florida prelim(which might of been dumb) but I made it. yay anesthesia. And I know where I matched because only 1 interview in city of match ;)

Best of luck. We're you able to secure an interview at the new Ocala Florida program?

They never contacted me, and it looks like they filled in the match. At least, they didn't have any spots in SOAP. It was a competitive enough year that any program that ranked a good list of applicants was going to fill completely, even if they didn't have a proper interview season. Since they still don't have a website of their own it's hard to say what their status is.

They never contacted me, and it looks like they filled in the match. At least, they didn't have any spots in SOAP. It was a competitive enough year that any program that ranked a good list of applicants was going to fill completely, even if they didn't have a proper interview season. Since they still don't have a website of their own it's hard to say what their status is.
Were you able to SOAP into anesthesia?

I'll get it next year.
Bummer, good luck with next year's application. This years seems to have been particularly competitive; none of the people I know with great stats matched into a "big name" program.

Matched advanced spot.
Only 2 prelim/TY interviews during the year. On Monday/Tuesday I had 6 phone calls and one email that asked whether I'd go but didn't interview. Everyone loved me...and I got one offer in round one. A reminder that PD's lie, of course. SOAPed into a hard as **** but awesome prelim surgery year. Then got a call from another program asking if I'd matched already (lol).

Matched into choice #7. It's a good program but not my top for various reasons.

Edit: I liked both UMass and UConn. UConn had a great feel and you'll get a lot of exposure. UMass has trauma and transplants. I liked it as well.

Matched advanced spot.
Only 2 prelim/TY interviews during the year. On Monday/Tuesday I had 6 phone calls and one email that asked whether I'd go but didn't interview. Everyone loved me...and I got one offer in round one. A reminder that PD's lie, of course. SOAPed into a hard as **** but awesome prelim surgery year. Then got a call from another program asking if I'd matched already (lol).

Matched into choice #7. It's a good program but not my top for various reasons.

Edit: I liked both UMass and UConn. UConn had a great feel and you'll get a lot of exposure. UMass has trauma and transplants. I liked it as well.

I got my #7 too :/

I got my #7 too :/

Let's hope it's a lucky number for us. I talked to her friend who reassured me this is a competitive program and that the reasons I worry about it won't be valid in the long run .

Just gotta say after a lot of me crying about not matching throughout this process. I can't believe that I matched into my #1 program! I had to SOAP into a surg prelim year, but I'm ok with it as ultimately I get to do what I love in a place that I love. Thank you all for the support throughout the process though! Wishing my best to everyone who matched/SOAPed.

Reactions: 5 users
It’s not really a “match” - all you need is ONE to like you and offer you a spot and you’re done.

lol was this UCONN by chance?

Exactly. Like it or not, USMLEs are often the only metric we have to quantitatively compare applicants - and when you get hundreds of applications for only 20 positions you have to start somewhere.

To be totally honest with you, I have no idea what to do with COMLEX scores. Does an 80th or 90th percentile mean the same as that performance on the USMLEs? It might not. My DO colleagues were very open in discussing this and their school gave them proper advising - want an allopathic residency, you need the USMLEs. This might not be what you want to hear, but better to find out now than in the middle of application season.

Hello there, I'm new to SDN but I've been reading your posts and wanted to thank you for giving helpful advice. You keep mentioning for DO students they need to do 10-15 points higher on Step 1 than MD applicants. I'm curious as to how we know what programs I (OMS3) would be competitive for in that sense, because some residencies on FRIEDA only list cut off scores.

I guess my broader question is: how do I go about finding residency programs right now that I will be competitive for come next year?

For reference I got a 237 on Step 1 and plan on taking Step 2 in June.

Congratulations to all of those who matched this year!

Hello there, I'm new to SDN but I've been reading your posts and wanted to thank you for giving helpful advice. You keep mentioning for DO students they need to do 10-15 points higher on Step 1 than MD applicants. I'm curious as to how we know what programs I (OMS3) would be competitive for in that sense, because some residencies on FRIEDA only list cut off scores.

I guess my broader question is: how do I go about finding residency programs right now that I will be competitive for come next year?

That is adequate for many/most programs.

I got ya man, I'm a DO wanting anesthia w/a 236 and I'm flipping out too. We can hold each other over the next year and whisper that it's all going to be OK in each other's ears.

I got ya man, I'm a DO wanting anesthia w/a 236 and I'm flipping out too. We can hold each other over the next year and whisper that it's all going to be OK in each other's ears.

You'll be fine. I'm a DO that got a 230 and had more interviews than I could go to, and matched my #1 at a "big name" program.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, I am an MS3, applying for away rotations. Wanted know which schools were good for aways. Particularly interested in schools around Michigan, and the east coast. I am not sure what schools have which I would be competitive for.

USMD at a very low tier/new school
Step 1: 241
2 Honors, 3 P in a H/P/F
2 pubs (non gas related)

Despite never meeting you, I thought you would never ask.