2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody know any nice apartments near ACOM besides summer field? I called and they put me on the waitlist with 5 people ahead of me so I don't know if I will get a spot or not. My budget for an apartment is about 600-800, not looking for roommates.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know any nice apartments near ACOM besides summer field? I called and they put me on the waitlist with 5 people ahead of me so I don't know if I will get a spot or not. My budget for an apartment is about 600-800, not looking for roommates.
I thought that single-room apartments at Summerfield were about 1k?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh, I wouldn't know, I share a 2 bedroom

Fieldcrest is about 10 mins away near the south of the circle. Magnolia is another popular choice, about 15 mins away NW of the circle. Highland Hills is also nice, about 20 mins away west of the circle.

Did they contact you to let you know your placement on the waitlist or did you ask them?

I emailed Mr. Willis and he had this to say about the waitlist:

"Thank you for the email. The Incoming class is currently full but this can change. We do expect a few more seats to open up. We are moving applicants off the Waitlist when we have seats open up.

My rule of thumb is that applicants should reapply if they have not been selected off the waitlist by June 15. There still may be a chance but it deceases each day. I do not want applicants to get too far behind in the next application cycle. Re-applying will not affect the decision for this current cycle."

So the class is currently full. Looking at other schools, seems to me that this year looks like little waitlist movement is going to happen.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a class called "Clinical Integration Capstone" which it looks like is kinda the COMLEX prep class, does anybody know how long/how many weeks that is?

What you guys think is a proper outfit for orientation's week??

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of worried that our school schedule hasn't posted yet. Does anyone happen to remember when they sent it out last year?

Business causal. Most people don't start wearing scrubs until classes start.

We're doing a golf scramble and service activity that *Tuesday with class pictures in between, so I'm sure they will update us during the week

I've been accepted to my top choice in my home state so I'll be withdrawing my acceptance to ACOM. I hope one of you on the waitlist are lucky enough to get in, I very much appreciated the opportunity to attend this special school!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys! Can significant others attend orientation with us or is it exclusively for the students? Thanks.

Hi guys! Can significant others attend orientation with us or is it exclusively for the students? Thanks.

Exclusively students for the most part. There are a few events where signicant others can attend, and they will be listed on the schedule when you get them.

Congrats! Were you notified in advance to be "on hold"?

Not really. I just kept in contact with Mr. Willis to let him know I was still interested in ACOM. He never told me I was "on hold" or anything. I was just about to sign a lease for an apartment at another school I had been accepted at and was going to withdraw from the waitlist in a couple days, but ended up getting the call out of the blue.

Two questions:

1. The welcome reception for July 23 on the orientation schedule says "families welcome". Is that a reference to students with families or do parents usually attend this?

2. Do we have to buy any books or anything like that? (other than medical equipment) If I remember correctly, it's all already loaded on the iPad and laptop we're given right?

Two questions:

1. The welcome reception for July 23 on the orientation schedule says "families welcome". Is that a reference to students with families or do parents usually attend this?

2. Do we have to buy any books or anything like that? (other than medical equipment) If I remember correctly, it's all already loaded on the iPad and laptop we're given right?

You don't need to buy any books during first year unless you really want to. Only books that you'll need at some point is First Aid and the green OMM book, Savarese.

Not really. I just kept in contact with Mr. Willis to let him know I was still interested in ACOM. He never told me I was "on hold" or anything. I was just about to sign a lease for an apartment at another school I had been accepted at and was going to withdraw from the waitlist in a couple days, but ended up getting the call out of the blue.

Mind sharing what school you just dropped from? Jw about their waitlist

I read this somewhere before but totally forgot the answer but we sign up for the school's health insurance during orientation right?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I read this somewhere before but totally forgot the answer but we sign up for the school's health insurance during orientation right?

Sounds like you'll be automatically signed up for student health insurance during orientation week from the email they sent:

"This is an annual occurrence at the beginning of each new school year and you will be required to make one selection from the choices below:
1. Automatic enrollment
2. Waive out of the program
Automatic Enrollment:
If you would like to enroll in the school health insurance plan or if you wish to continue to stay on the plan, NO action is required. You will be automatically enrolled in the plan for the new academic school year. The plan runs from (August 1 – July 31)."

Last edited:
I will be withdrawing my acceptance here, got an acceptance in my home state. I really did love this school, felt very comfortable here. I will also be withdrawing from my studio apartment at SF. Hope one of you on the WL get it. Keep up the hope, I sure didn't till today!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks!

Is it worth applying here if out of state (NY resident)? MCAT of 506 (131/123/127/125) with a 3.55 cGPA 3.42 sGPA.

Is it worth applying here if out of state (NY resident)? MCAT of 506 (131/123/127/125) with a 3.55 cGPA 3.42 sGPA.
I don't think they have much of an intentional bias tbh. I'm from the north east as well and got in with similar stats. In my opinion, most of the bias seems to be self-selected from students choosing not to apply to ACOM. I'm sure that being an Alabama resident helps but I don't think it hurts you if you aren't from the area either.

OMG I just call my acceptance call :love: Everyone on the wait-list keep up hope.

Reactions: 9 users
Around like 2-3 my time which is about an hour ahead of their time! I'm in Florida on east coast.

Around like 2-3 my time which is about an hour ahead of their time! I'm in Florida on east coast.

Cool! Congrats again! If you get added to the facebook group, could you ask the group how many people made it off the waitlist?
I just want to get an estimate...

Cool! Congrats again! If you get added to the facebook group, could you ask the group how many people made it off the waitlist?
I just want to get an estimate...

I think Bob Willis said a total of 63 spots were what they were expecting. There has been 2-3 people accepted since I was