2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there going to be any more interviews? I got an email last month saying I was on the pending interview list

Members don't see this ad.

Are there going to be any more interviews? I got an email last month saying I was on the pending interview list

I don’t think there are anymore interviews... Now they are going to pull people off the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea my friend emailed Bob, and he said he’s unable to offer anymore interviews. But he did tell him when he applies next cycle to give him a heads up so they can view it early. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any idea on when they're going to start pulling people off the waitlist?

Anyone have any idea on when they're going to start pulling people off the waitlist?

I think I remember finding May 22 as the earliest someone reported a waitlist accept on last year's thread. I reserve the right to be wrong.

jordan-peele-sweating-gif.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think I remember finding May 22 as the earliest someone reported a waitlist accept on last year's thread. I reserve the right to be wrong.

jordan-peele-sweating-gif.gif
I just went through the thread cause why not and the first acceptance off the waitlist from someone on sdn was May 26. However others reported before that that some were pulled before then. It was also reported that the majority of movement started at the end of May into June and then slowed significantly but didn’t stop into July

Can any current students speak to how much money you get back as a refund and how it's divided up?

I know that this is the cost of attendance (Cost of Attendance (COA) – Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine) but I'm curious as to how much ACOM withholds. In my current program, they just take out the tuition, fees, and health insurance and give us the rest, but I don't know how ACOM's iPad/laptop/books policy affects that. Insight would be appreciated so I can better financially plan the year ahead.

ACOM takes out tuition and fees (not sure about the health insurance sorry) and we get the rest. Remember that you also get your $2000 deposit to hold your spot refunded to you aka goes back to your first semesters tuition. iPad/Laptop/book fees do not come out of your disbursement as these are simply "given to you" day 1.

For various reasons (huge ones being that I live alone in a studio and it's just little old me and I'm a huge saver as far as spending goes) I accepted I think a total of $4000 less the first year from the federal loans. My first disbursement was around $15,000 for the fall, and another $13,000 in the spring. PM me if you have more specific questions.

I'm waitlisted but I got accepted to my top school today so I will be withdrawing. Good luck to everyone waiting! :)

Reactions: 7 users
Decided to take a look at the tuition after the previous post, it’s gone up to $50,000 ($3,000 increase from previous year) just FYi

Wow. $50,285. That is a huge increase. How can they justify it?

They justify it by still being $10,000 cheaper than most other DO schools....

In seriousness, I'm sure there's a reason. I know ACOM works diligently to keep costs at a minimum for us.

They justify it by still being $10,000 cheaper than most other DO schools....

In seriousness, I'm sure there's a reason. I know ACOM works diligently to keep costs at a minimum for us.
It's a lot more than KCU now, not to mention it matches the tuition of NSU.
I couldn't justify the cost difference between ACOM and NSU before but now that it's the same, it's hard for me to justify picking ACOM over elsewhere.
Well, I guess it's still cheaper than the Touros.

Wow. $50,285. That is a huge increase. How can
I couldn't justify the cost difference between ACOM and NSU before but now that it's the same, it's hard for me to justify picking ACOM over elsewhere.

So far it’s also about $100 more than PCOM-GA, unless PCOM increases tuition for the next class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be weird to re-apply for the 2019 cycle while still on the wait list? I definitely want to go to ACOM, but I don’t want to submit a late 2019 application while waiting to be admitted from the current wait list. If that makes sense...

Would it be weird to re-apply for the 2019 cycle while still on the wait list? I definitely want to go to ACOM, but I don’t want to submit a late 2019 application while waiting to be admitted from the current wait list. If that makes sense...
They’ve told other is the past to wait until June -July before resubmitting look at last years thread for the exact dates

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing a bunch of emails, we don't have a student email account yet until we start orientation?

Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing a bunch of emails, we don't have a student email account yet until we start orientation?

Correct, no student email account until orientation.

My mistake I guess I wasn't aware of all the costs of DO schools. The ones I was accepted to aside from ACOM were 83,000 a year and up. Cost was on my pro con list too. Just have to figure out what you are missing out on (monetary or otherwise) at those cheaper options that are part of tuition here I suppose! :)

Any update on the 2018 match list? If not, any idea when it'll be released?

Maybe it'll be released to the public later in May or early June. They just sent us a percentage breakdown of how many students matched in each specialty and overall, we had a 99% match for 2018.

any word from anyone on the waitlist? I thought a first round was supposed to go out this week but still havent heard anything.. getting pretty anxious..

any word from anyone on the waitlist? I thought a first round was supposed to go out this week but still havent heard anything.. getting pretty anxious..

Weren't we supposed to find out our rankings this week on where we stand on the WL?

Rescinding my acceptance in favour of my state school! Best of luck, waitlisters! It's an amazing program.

Reactions: 6 users
Weren't we supposed to find out our rankings this week on where we stand on the WL?
Just throwing it out there. At the interview they said that they don’t tell applicants their spot in the WL cause it can change on a day-day basis so I don’t believe they tell you unless maybe you ask explicitly. If anyone has heard otherwise please share

I emailed Mr. Willis and he said that the dean will pick about 5-10 people from their waitlist he likes, they will call all of them and see if they still want the spot. Once those applicants are exhausted, the dean will look through all applications pick another hand full and they will call them and offer them a sport... and so on. He said a good number of the people they pick are no longer candidates because they are accepted somewhere they like more and the waitlist goes on

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks that’s great info!

Does anyone know if we can go back into the old AACOMAS? I tried logging in and it's bringing me to the new cycle now.
I wanted to add my spring semester grades into AACOMAS since they come out tomorrow, but I can't log into the "old" one.

Does anyone know if we can go back into the old AACOMAS? I tried logging in and it's bringing me to the new cycle now.
I wanted to add my spring semester grades into AACOMAS since they come out tomorrow, but I can't log into the "old" one.
I don't think you can make any changes to your old application at this point. You will have to email schools with updates and send official transcripts if you can. If you're on the WL at ACOM I recommend emailing with your unofficial transcript at the very least and then see if they would like you to send over your official.

Fellow Waitlisters,

I spoke with Mr. Willis (super friendly person) and he's told me that they started pulling people this month from the WL. As mentioned before they kind of place people into three tiers based on various factors of competitiveness and pull as they go. Also, about 150-200 are on the waitlist (including aprox 30% of people already accepted elsewhere) and they end up with around 50 people pulled from the WL into the incoming class. Toward the end of May they have a solid idea of who they will pull from the list and movement subsides until orientation!

So do they pull people off the waitlist all at once? Or do they do it a couple people at a time to see if they accept or not, and move on to the next group of people?

So do they pull people off the waitlist all at once? Or do they do it a couple people at a time to see if they accept or not, and move on to the next group of people?

Usually a couple people at a time, not everyone at once.

Just got a call and email earlier today. They informed me that they are beginning to pull people off of the wait list. I was very impressed with this school, but due to personal reasons I withdrew my application. Good luck to those on the wait list!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got a call and email earlier today. They informed me that they are beginning to pull people off of the wait list. I was very impressed with this school, but due to personal reasons I withdrew my application. Good luck to those on the wait list!
You got the call that you were accepted?

You got the call that you were accepted?

I wasn’t able to pickup and they didn’t leave a voicemail. Mr. Willis did email me and said they were beginning to pull from the waitlist and asked if I was interested in matriculating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you please provide your stats?

So ACOM is pulling people from the waitlist while still conducting interviews? Makes me wonder how full the class is.

So ACOM is pulling people from the waitlist while still conducting interviews? Makes me wonder how full the class is.

I'm pretty sure they're done interviewing, but I could be wrong

Damn you were waitlisted with those stats?!?!?

I applied really late and luckily got an interview in March. Also I felt I was lacking a little with clinical experience. I do think I clicked well with my interviewers though.

Just curious to know who from my interview group (August 11) will actually be attending ACOM. It would be nice to see some familiar faces during orientation!

Just curious to know who from my interview group (August 11) will actually be attending ACOM. It would be nice to see some familiar faces during orientation!
Hi.

I applied really late and luckily got an interview in March. Also I felt I was lacking a little with clinical experience. I do think I clicked well with my interviewers though.
When did you interview in March? I interviewed March 2nd