*2016-2017 Washington State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else put off completing the secondary until the last minute? #oops

Members don't see this ad.

I might've missed it, but did WSU say what they would do with students if they were not able to get accreditation?
Also what are everyone's thoughts on being the first class in a medical school? I can't decide if it's worth the risk of potentially not getting a quality education.

Members don't see this ad :)
I might've missed it, but did WSU say what they would do with students if they were not able to get accreditation?
Also what are everyone's thoughts on being the first class in a medical school? I can't decide if it's worth the risk of potentially not getting a quality education.

I thought I read somewhere that they would work to get their students into other schools and pay the remaining tuition.. or did I just dream that?

I wouldn't say the that there is much risk in the quality of the education, per se. I mean, many of the professors at WSU had taught the UW students. Although the curriculum is different. But if the school is accredited then I trust they would be subjected to the appropriate standards in education.

I think going to a new medical school would have a lot of unique opportunities. Opportunities to show leadership in ways that you may not get from other medical schools.

Reactions: 1 user
So I remember now why I procrastinated with this secondary... It's so darn difficult.

snuck that one in under the wire, only took me 3.5 weeks. Opps. I had all my other secondaries in by the latest mid July...

Lol just submitted mine today too... really hoping for an interview though! T.T

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Well I finished so I guess that's good.

Finally finished. Talk about cutting it close....
Haha was it due at midnight?

How many people do you think applied here? Seems like its not super well known, havent been seeing ads about it much but then again im never watching tv

Haha was it due at midnight?

How many people do you think applied here? Seems like its not super well known, havent been seeing ads about it much but then again im never watching tv
11:59.

Yeah I agree. It was such a quick deadline too. Plus the only reason that I knew they got preliminary accreditation was from spamming f5 on their website and the SDN notifications from the UW thread

Edit: plus their website is god awful to navigate. I literally have to google whatever I need from it if I want to find it since none of the menus are navigable

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck everyone~

I am on the same boat that this secondary was a struggle ... hahaha

That "describe a relationship" question was just weird. It didn't ask anything about how it will affect your decision making or anything. Just what you like in a mentor. :shrug:

Definitely some of my weakest essays of the cycle.

That "describe a relationship" question was just weird. It didn't ask anything about how it will affect your decision making or anything. Just what you like in a mentor. :shrug:

Definitely some of my weakest essays of the cycle.
+1. I'm not sure if I answered this question the way that they wanted.

600, damn thats a lot more than i wouldve thought

Any idea how many interview invites they will be extending?

IIRC, ESFCOM will be extending interviews to 325 applicants. I'm really surprised their have yet to be any IIs as in December they're not only sending all the interviews, but scheduling them as well. IIs gotta be coming literally any day! Go Cougs!

IIRC, ESFCOM will be extending interviews to 325 applicants. I'm really surprised their have yet to be any IIs as in December they're not only sending all the interviews, but scheduling them as well. IIs gotta be coming literally any day! Go Cougs!
Where did you find this information, if you don't mind me asking? Also, do you know how many applicants are competing for those spots ?

If they received 600 applications when that article from before was written... that's like half of all applicants. Hmm

If they received 600 applications when that article from before was written... that's like half of all applicants. Hmm

That doesn't seem too outrageous. I could see them needing to accept over double the charter class size to fill the seats.

That doesn't seem too outrageous. I could see them needing to accept over double the charter class size to fill the seats.
Yeah I could see 2.5 even.

Where did you find this information, if you don't mind me asking? Also, do you know how many applicants are competing for those spots ?

Another SDNer went to a WSU info session in Seattle and the presenter said there would be around 320 interviews. It's posted earlier in this thread. Because this is not something officially stated on their website, I'm taking it with a bit of a grain of salt. However, it does seem like a very reasonable amount of IIs.

Last edited:
Yeah I could see 2.5 even.

Agreed, a yield below 50% wouldnt be all that unexpected, that is a fairly normal number, so with the timing and everything here I wouldn't be surprised if it's around there or lower

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hmm ... wonder when the first II's will be sent out

Yep, just after I submitted it on the 6th. You can also go back to the portal to make sure it says submitted.
I mean I got a "you submitted your secondary email," not one that said anything about it having been reviewed/in pool of interview candidates.

I attended the information session at UW and they said that they would have II out before the 15th, IIRC.

Hey everyone!
Just read an article today
Over 700 applications
420 completed secondaries
IIs coming out late December

"The original batch of applicants has been reduced to 450 qualified candidates who completed secondary applications."

Omg, I didn't even know the secondary was screened! Woo, we made it through a hoop!

So does that mean they are offering about 320 interviews out of 450 which is roughly 70 percent?

"The original batch of applicants has been reduced to 450 qualified candidates who completed secondary applications."

Omg, I didn't even know the secondary was screened! Woo, we made it through a hoop!
Ooooh interesting... is that what that means?

So does that mean they are offering about 320 interviews out of 450 which is roughly 70 percent?
I hope youre not playing with my emotions now..

Reactions: 2 users

1. I would never crush your dreams of making it through hoops, you deserve to make it through every hoop but -
2. It could be people like me who didn't turn in the secondary