*2016-2017 Washington State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have similar concerns. But this is the sort of info we'd get from the interview day.
I'm sure they'd be working on it for the two years you'd be there prior to starting rotations as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@MedArtist Just curious but if you had to choose between an acceptance at WSU and AZCOM which would you lean towards?

I'm pretty sure this is a no-brainer because WSU tuition is half that of AZCOM and it offers an MD, but just trying to feel out a general opinion about the school. Also because WSU doesn't give out a decision before the DO deposit deadline so I'll probably pay and hold my spot at AZCOM until I hear back here.

Members don't see this ad :)
@MedArtist Just curious but if you had to choose between an acceptance at WSU and AZCOM which would you lean towards?

I'm pretty sure this is a no-brainer because WSU tuition is half that of AZCOM and it offers an MD, but just trying to feel out a general opinion about the school. Also because WSU doesn't give out a decision before the DO deposit deadline so I'll probably pay and hold my spot at AZCOM until I hear back here.

Having the chance to do rotations in my hometown (one of the four) is a huge plus. Plus cheaper. Plus MD. So yes. WSU over AZCOM. But I would put money down just in case as well.

Where did you find the WSU tuition? I seem to be having trouble navigating their website because I couldn't find it

Where did you find the WSU tuition? I seem to be having trouble navigating their website because I couldn't find it

Q: How much is tuition?
A:
$35,000 for legal residents of Washington.

In FAQ of their Admissions section

Q: How much is tuition?
A:
$35,000 for legal residents of Washington.

In FAQ of their Admissions section
LOL wow I'm even worse at finding things on there than I thought - thanks!

....so this is only for WA residents?

From the website:

Citizenship and residency
We are seeking applicants from Washington.

Out-of-state applicants
If you are not currently a legal resident of Washington, you must demonstrate that you are from Washington by meeting—at minimum—three of these four requirements:

• Born in Washington
  • Childhood address in Washington
  • Graduated from a Washington high school
  • Current parent/guardian lives in Washington
The ESFCOM secondary application also asks you to share your strongest or most important connections to the state of Washington and the people who live here.

All applicants who are considered to be from Washington complete the same review process for admission as legal Washington residents.

Got my primary in as well. @MedArtist out of curiosity, did you interview at Touro-CA?

I wonder how long the wait for the secondary will be...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh. Never mind then, someone I interviewed there has the same acceptances as you!

I really do wonder how many applicant they will get - and how everything will play out owing the the fact I bet everyone that applies also applied to UW, and they will have to compete with UW for acceptances, which given the choice we know where 98% of people would go. I bet they will have a hard time finalizing their class until UW gets its class a bit more solidified and people notify of their acceptances.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ahhh. Never mind then, someone I interviewed there has the same acceptances as you!

I really do wonder how many applicant they will get - and how everything will play out owing the the fact I bet everyone that applies also applied to UW, and they will have to compete with UW for acceptances, which given the choice we know where 98% of people would go. I bet they will have a hard time finalizing their class until UW gets its class a bit more solidified and people notify of their acceptances.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am okay with UW sending me an acceptance right now to help with that burden and uncertainty ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the secondary app today at 9:44 AM, IS applicant.

@Trident14 Do you mind posting the prompts and character limits? Thanks!

Please submit an additional statement (< 500 words), addressing the following areas:
  • How do you think you can or will contribute to the mission and vision of the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine in developing solutions?
  • Your strongest or most important connections to the state of Washington and the people who live here
  • Your motivation to train as a physician and serve the communities of Washington
  • Your goals as a physician, including your interests in practicing medicine in rural or underserved communities
  • Other relevant considerations

Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life? (less than 300 words each)

Describe a meaningful relationship with a teacher, mentor, employer, coach, or others and aspects of the relationship that that were most important to you. (less than 300 words each)

What would you like to contribute and be remembered for in medicine? (less than 300 words each)
@precisiongraphic

Reactions: 1 users
1. Please submit an additional statement (< 500 words), addressing the following areas:

• How do you think you can or will contribute to the mission and vision of the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine in developing solutions?
  • Your strongest or most important connections to the state of Washington and the people who live here
  • Your motivation to train as a physician and serve the communities of Washington
  • Your goals as a physician, including your interests in practicing medicine in rural or underserved communities
  • Other relevant considerations
2. Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life? 300 words

3. Describe a meaningful relationship with a teacher, mentor, employer, coach, or others and aspects of the relationship that that were most important to you. 300 words

4. What would you like to contribute and be remembered for in medicine? 300 words

5. Matriculating students will be assigned to a Learning Community at one of four WSU campus locations. The Learning Community will be the location at which you will complete your clinical rotation experiences. Please rank your choices, (beginning with #1 for your first choice), of Learning Community assignment locations below. ESFCOM will make every effort to accommodate students’ priority choice but will make final assignments based on the availability of space at each campus.
Spokane, Everett, Tri-Cities, Vancouver

Please explain any extenuating circumstances you would like considered in the assignment of your Learning Community site location: 150 Word

I'm assuming you submit your primary on October 29th when they first opened?

I submitted my primary when they first opened but still no secondary..

Not worth applying from east coast? Seems like they really want Washington natives

Secondary received! Woohoo!!!!!!!

Secondary invite!!

Looking at the curriculum, it seems like a huge amount of clinical time, even in the first two years. Pretty interesting ..

Additionally, it seems that you do one week at your site a few times a year. That'll be interesting if you're placed in like Everett and have to drive across the pass just for a week.

Looking at the curriculum, it seems like a huge amount of clinical time, even in the first two years. Pretty interesting ..

Additionally, it seems that you do one week at your site a few times a year. That'll be interesting if you're placed in like Everett and have to drive across the pass just for a week.

Where did you find the curriculum info?

I have yet to receive the secondary D: but I waited a few days to submit primary.

Is anyone willing to share a time they failed or was unsuccessful? I've been denied from job positions before but not sure if I should go about it this way.

Is anyone willing to share a time they failed or was unsuccessful? I've been denied from job positions before but not sure if I should go about it this way.
"This one time I applied for UW but didn't get in so I applied for Wazzu instead"

*ducks head*

Reactions: 1 users
Hold up everyone - are there only gonna be 15 students at each campus then?? 60 students in the first year class.....4 campuses....I mean don't get me wrong there a benefits to a smaller class size but 15 people seems to be pushin it

Hold up everyone - are there only gonna be 15 students at each campus then?? 60 students in the first year class.....4 campuses....I mean don't get me wrong there a benefits to a smaller class size but 15 people seems to be pushin it

Sounds like the 4 campuses are where you do your clinical rotations.. so years 3&4 you'll be there but years 1&2 you'll be at WSU in Spokane. At least this is the impression I get.. anyone know if this is right?

Sounds like the 4 campuses are where you do your clinical rotations.. so years 3&4 you'll be there but years 1&2 you'll be at WSU in Spokane. At least this is the impression I get.. anyone know if this is right?
This makes way more sense than my theory

I think you are correct!

Did anyone submit their primary AMCAS on the 29th and not get a secondary yet? I'm confused because I meet all of the academic criteria, am IS, and have lived in WA all of my life, I thought they sent secondaries to everyone who met these basic requirements. I'm also from rural eastern WA.

Did anyone submit their primary AMCAS on the 29th and not get a secondary yet? I'm confused because I meet all of the academic criteria, am IS, and have lived in WA all of my life, I thought they sent secondaries to everyone who met these basic requirements. I'm also from rural eastern WA.
Me

I'm curious how they are sorting through these applications because I was assured that anyone meeting their basic criteria will receive a secondary application, and they lay out their basic criteria pretty clearly on the website. So I am sure we will get one, but it seems odd that they wouldn't be going in order of when applications were submitted.

I'm curious how they are sorting through these applications because I was assured that anyone meeting their basic criteria will receive a secondary application, and they lay out their basic criteria pretty clearly on the website. So I am sure we will get one, but it seems odd that they wouldn't be going in order of when applications were submitted.
Pretty sure they're just sticking the UW grads at the bottom of the list :laugh:

So it appears super clinical focused mixed with traditional courses?

Even the traditional courses seem a bit downplayed to me. Curious how this will affect pre-clinical preparation in the first 2 years

Even the traditional courses seem a bit downplayed to me. Curious how this will affect pre-clinical preparation in the first 2 years

What do you mean by downplayed?

Honestly guys im sure WSU will give you a fine education. If it was accredited then it earned the opportunity to train MDs.

What do you mean by downplayed?

Ah, I was mistaken. I mis-read Cardio+Pulm as a total of 3 weeks in M2 but now see that it's 8 total weeks broken up into 2 parts over the pre-clinical years

Honestly guys im sure WSU will give you a fine education. If it was accredited then it earned the opportunity to train MDs.
Agreed. Try hard and get a good residency. Nobody will care