2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just want to say that although the bug that caused me to get 35 emails was annoying, their supplemental application web sight/ menu for filling it out is beautiful! It's terrible just how bad some of the other school's supplemental apps are. A lot of them look like they were made in the late 90's..

Also anyone citing actual studies for the essay? I was thinking about it but then again maybe that would be overkill, it is only 2000 characters max after all.

I could be totally wrong. But I interpret this literally as USE any resources you want. I think if they wanted us to officially cite they would say so. I think it's just an invitation to do your research. But I'm sure anything is fine. I'm just trying to do whatever feels natural.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I pray that other schools hire whoever did this application portal to do theirs in the future...So thankful to find that my classes had already been imported from AMCAS <3

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone if this school grants secondary fee waivers if you are a FAP recipient? If so, who do you email to request the waiver?

Members don't see this ad :)
"Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education."

The only thing is two "W's" I received in non-science elective courses. Should I write about the withdrawals, or just don't even mention it?

"Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education."

The only thing is two "W's" I received in non-science elective courses. Should I write about the withdrawals, or just don't even mention it?
I took this to mean breaks in your education. I did not mention the W I received.

Would you mind sharing how you approached the secondary research/citation wise?

Sure. The secondary prompt from last year asked us to discuss domestic violence & intimate partner violence. To give a thorough and well-informed answer I pulled resources from state governments (some states provide direct guidelines) to understand the legal and medical ways to handle the situation. Then based on the prompt and what I learned, I came up with my own mechanisms for handling the situation - within legal boundaries (i.e. confidentiality rules, obligations to report abuse etc etc). I did not cite any resources because at the end of the day the answer was mine. After all, plagiarism is a violation of the honor code. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Any current students on here who could comment on the Inova campus!?
Inova Campus Dean's Office staff member here. We'd be happy to put you in touch with one of our student tour guides to answer any questions you might have. Please message me with your contact info. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a current student, but I live in Northern Virginia and I can tell you that INOVA Fairfax is a large, busy teaching hospital in the DC suburbs. I don't know that I would call it a "campus" exactly.
The VCU School of Medicine Inova Campus is a full regional campus of the VCU School of Medicine since 2004. We have two classes each year, M3s and M4s, in addition to hosting visiting VCU students from Richmond on various rotations. We maintain a full Dean's Office staff and administration and have over 500 clinical teaching faculty with VCU appointments. For more information, please feel free to message me. Thank you!

So for the question about committing to INOVA or staying in Richmond for 3rd and 4th years, does this mean that VCU doesn't allow away rotations during years 3 and 4 besides Fairfax? I was under the impression that most schools allow you to do a few away rotations for the purpose of meeting physicians and directors at hospitals you are interested in for residency? I just like to keep my options open and this seems a little extreme to commit to something before we are even in school..
The Inova Campus is an election for your preferred campus for 3rd and 4th years. As with Richmond Campus students, you may certainly choose to do "away" rotations as long as you complete your graduation requirements. Inova Campus students do their first two years in Richmond then move to northern Virginia to complete their last two years. Please feel free to message me if you have any further questions about this; I would be happy to put you in touch with one of our students.

so..whats the advantages of Inova Fairfax Hospital vs MVC?
apparently inova is more busy? does that mean it's better if interested in surgery or EM?...
There are many advantages to both of our campuses! When interviewing, students who may be interested in attending the Inova Campus are encouraged to schedule and Inova Campus tour to compare and contrast the two experiences. Regional medical campuses are found at many of the medical schools all over the country--be sure to do your research when you hit the interview trail! One thing students really enjoy about our campus is that class size is significantly smaller--approximately 30 students as opposed to about 200 who remain in Richmond. The two health systems are also significantly different based on their geographical locations. Fairfax County is an extremely multi-cultural region and you will get exposure to a wide range of patients from all over the world. Please feel free to message me if you would like to be contacted by one of our current students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Quick question, I submitted my app today, but I never received a confirmation email. When I log back into my applicant portal, my application status still says "You have been granted a supplemental application". I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Quick question, I submitted my app today, but I never received a confirmation email. When I log back into my applicant portal, my application status still says "You have been granted a supplemental application". I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. Thanks!

Yes! that's normal. I got my confirmation email after 48 hours and my status then changed to "You M.D. file is now complete...."

if you choose fairfax in the secondary and don't get the lottery pick at the end of second year, do you just stay in richmond?

I love this secondary portal BUT I hate that I can't see my application again after submitting it! I really wanted to check if I marked something and now I can't :/

Reactions: 3 users
I love this secondary portal BUT I hate that I can't see my application again after submitting it! I really wanted to check if I marked something and now I can't :/
The option to review and print or save as pdf was there on the left hand side. Don't know if it's there after you submit though

Will I get a confirmation by email from Shenia or will the portal change to reflect my FAP approval?
You get an email that says your application status has changed and to go to the portal to see what it is

Yes! that's normal. I got my confirmation email after 48 hours and my status then changed to "You M.D. file is now complete...."

Okay great, Thank you! I just received that status update today.

So for the "Your M.D. file is now complete...." status, it mentions something about being on "hold for grades." I was wondering what they meant by that. I graduated from college and finished my B.S. and all of the pre-req classes that they asked us to list on the secondary, but I'm enrolled in Human Anatomy and Microbio at my local community college for Fall semester. Does this mean that they will place my file on hold until I finish these classes in December (which would really suck) or is that more for if you didn't finish any of the pre-req classes (Gen Chem, Bio, Ochem, Eng, etc...) ? Thank you!

So for the "Your M.D. file is now complete...." status, it mentions something about being on "hold for grades." I was wondering what they meant by that. I graduated from college and finished my B.S. and all of the pre-req classes that they asked us to list on the secondary, but I'm enrolled in Human Anatomy and Microbio at my local community college for Fall semester. Does this mean that they will place my file on hold until I finish these classes in December (which would really suck) or is that more for if you didn't finish any of the pre-req classes (Gen Chem, Bio, Ochem, Eng, etc...) ? Thank you!

I think that they were more so saying that these are the reasons that they COULD put your app on hold. Because I've completed everything and have that same message.

You get an email that says your application status has changed and to go to the portal to see what it is
How long did it take to get a response? I emailed her Friday and haven't heard back, but the rest of my app is ready to submit and I'm a nervous wreck if I take more than 2 days to return a secondary haha

What have people done if you haven't yet taken a pre-req and thus can't select it from the drop down list?

I am enrolled in a full year English course for this upcoming school year, but I can't select it :(

Submitted AMCAS recently because I was waiting on my MCAT retake- going to prewrite my secondary! Good luck everyone! :)

Are we supposed to be contacting VCU to tell them we're not retaking the MCAT? That seems backwards to me, but reading the application status it seems like they're going to assume I'm retaking the test even though I have a 517. :confused:

Are we supposed to be contacting VCU to tell them we're not retaking the MCAT? That seems backwards to me, but reading the application status it seems like they're going to assume I'm retaking the test even though I have a 517. :confused:
I read it as if you get put on hold you're supposed to let them know, otherwise you don't need to do anything.

Interesting secondary question. I hope what I wrote is in the ballpark of what they like to see...

Interesting secondary question. I hope what I wrote is in the ballpark of what they like to see...

I'm pretty sure I know what they don't want to see.

I'm pretty sure I know what they don't want to see.

You don't wanna be rude or dismissive, and you don't wanna be like some anti-vaxxer or whatever. I guess beyond that it doesn't matter alot.

You don't wanna be rude or dismissive, and you don't wanna be like some anti-vaxxer or whatever. I guess beyond that it doesn't matter alot.

You definitely don't want to say that vaccines are bad. Obviously, you'd have to be insane to write in an essay that you'd be rude and dismissive to anyone. (VCU: "How do you respond to you neighbor?" Applicant: "First, I would laugh in her face. Then I would walk away.") But I wouldn't go so far as to say the rest of it doesn't matter much, either!

Wow, congrats! SDN makes it seems like people who take the MCAT 3X have no chance at MD, so this is good to hear :) You mentioned you were a reapp at VCU? What did you do differently the second time around to get accepted?

Also a 3x Mcat taker (with lower GPA and non urm to boot), applied last year to 9, 4 interviews, 2 acceptances. Don't let SDN get you down. Just perfect your angle and stay confident

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone unable to log in to the app today? It was working fine yesterday and now it says they have no one with my AMCAS ID # in their system...

Fun little side note: if anyone else reads National Geographic, the first photo for the DNA Revolution article says it was taken at Inova Women's Hospital :happy:

Reactions: 1 users
What have people done if you haven't yet taken a pre-req and thus can't select it from the drop down list?

I am enrolled in a full year English course for this upcoming school year, but I can't select it :(

I have this question as well :(

Has anyone else who has submitted not received an email confirmation? I haven't and I also can't find a status page on the portal so I'm not even sure if I submitted correctly.

Thank you!

Has anyone else who has submitted not received an email confirmation? I haven't and I also can't find a status page on the portal so I'm not even sure if I submitted correctly.

Thank you!
I read on this thread that it make take 2 days or so to get that confirmation email and for it to change on the site. I submitted today and was wondering the same thing and was able to come to that conclusion.

I read on this thread that it make take 2 days or so to get that confirmation email and for it to change on the site. I submitted today and was wondering the same thing and was able to come to that conclusion.

thanks!

+1, it took me about three days for mine to be marked complete. I thought it was already complete, and I got this cryptic email saying "Application status has changed" and freaked out.

+1, it took me about three days for mine to be marked complete. I thought it was already complete, and I got this cryptic email saying "Application status has changed" and freaked out.

Haha I JUST got this email!! I kinda flipped too because I sent my submitted my secondary yesterday. I thought maybe I was rejected or something.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think this essay is the most important essay that I have written (or have heard about) in this long cycle. Way to go, VCU Med.

Reactions: 5 users