2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We are able to use as any resource we wish... do you think we should incorporate the source into our responses?
I was wondering that too. Or can we just use casual citations and sweeping claims (which can be proven, of course). Hopefully we don't have to cite sources during MMI :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly laughed out loud about these 52 emails. Ok, ok I will fill out your secondary... geez!

Does anyone know how to pay the fee with the fee waiver?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my secondary today. Also, I received 106 copies of it...

Better than nothing right?

I got my secondary around 3:30 and I only got one copy. Whatever's happening to the rest of you all with like a bazillion emails is pretty funny to read about, though. :rofl:

Reactions: 1 users
So I got an email letting me know they got my application but there was no mention of a secondary invitation- was that the email you all received as well?

When I logged onto the secondary website there was a secondary there, though?

The heck I didn't even get an email saying they received my app.....did I dream that I put them down on my AMCAS? Anyone else not even get 1 simple email like this? I was verified ages ago.

Is anyone else seeing issues with the section where you designate which courses fulfill their requirements? Whenever I preview the application, my courses are not under the right subject areas. Looks like I'm trying to satisfy chemistry requirements with English classes, among other mismatches.

Reactions: 1 user
So I got an email letting me know they got my application but there was no mention of a secondary invitation- was that the email you all received as well?

When I logged onto the secondary website there was a secondary there, though?
Weird. I initially thought it was an email telling me they received my app, but I later found out that my secondary was in that link. I would give them a call if your secondary is truly not there after inputting your AMCAS ID and the other info it asks you.

Any current students on here who could comment on the Inova campus!?

My first email was with a secondary, the next 150 emails were blank.... they are very, um, persistent.
and the first email didn't every say the word secondary, just a link to check my application but that link led to a secondary if anyone is confused about that!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got an email, follow the link they sent and there you access the secondary

I know this question has been addressed in previous years' threads, but the consensus seems to be 50/50 in every thread. "Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education", does this mean any poor grades or did I take any time off from my education?

I know this question has been addressed in previous years' threads, but the consensus seems to be 50/50 in every thread. "Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education", does this mean any poor grades or did I take any time off from my education?

I have the same question...

Any current students on here who could comment on the Inova campus!?

I'm not a current student, but I live in Northern Virginia and I can tell you that INOVA Fairfax is a large, busy teaching hospital in the DC suburbs. I don't know that I would call it a "campus" exactly.

anyone still not have the secondary? 514/3.8 GPA

I haven't received a secondary either, but I talked to the admissions office and they are releasing them in waves. Hoping for tomorrow though

Received!

Imagine that you are at a social gathering and your neighbor comes over to congratulate you on your acceptance to medical school. She goes on to ask you about your opinion on childhood vaccinations. She is worried about vaccinating her baby because of some of the things that she has read about vaccines. How would you respond to her? (You may use any resources for your answer)

@WedgeDawg

Is this the only question from the secondary? Or is it this in addition to past ones?

Is this the only question from the secondary? Or is it this in addition to past ones?

It's the only one, they don't recycle the previous questions. There is also a prompt in there that asks you to describe any lapses in your undergrad education, if applicable.

Portal not working for anyone else? Keep getting some kind of JavaScript error after trying to log in

So for the question about committing to INOVA or staying in Richmond for 3rd and 4th years, does this mean that VCU doesn't allow away rotations during years 3 and 4 besides Fairfax? I was under the impression that most schools allow you to do a few away rotations for the purpose of meeting physicians and directors at hospitals you are interested in for residency? I just like to keep my options open and this seems a little extreme to commit to something before we are even in school..

Is anyone else seeing issues with the section where you designate which courses fulfill their requirements? Whenever I preview the application, my courses are not under the right subject areas. Looks like I'm trying to satisfy chemistry requirements with English classes, among other mismatches.
Did you do anything to correct this?

Did you do anything to correct this?
Haven't gotten around to contacting them yet, as I have several other secondaries in the queue. But will probably take action in the next several days.

Haven't gotten around to contacting them yet, as I have several other secondaries in the queue. But will probably take action in the next several days.
Ok. I just submitted it as is.

OOS, received a message that says "The School of Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University on the Medical College of Virginia Campus has received your preliminary application from AMCAS".

the portal just takes me to a page that says "
Your application has been received by the VCU School of Medicine and now will begin the process of evaluation. There will be a preliminary review of your application prior to receipt of a supplemental application. "

But I chose VCU at the same time as every other school and was verified the first day of verification. How the fluff have they JUST got it?! I want my secondary VCU!!!!

so..whats the advantages of Inova Fairfax Hospital vs MVC?
apparently inova is more busy? does that mean it's better if interested in surgery or EM?...

I received an email today from VCU saying that they received my primary application!

Just for the heck of it I decided to go to the portal in the email & the secondary is there! But I never got the secondary email (Again).

Sure! I had a 3.34 undergrad, 3.77 post-bacc, 3.89 masters degree. I took the MCAT 3X: 25, 25, and 27. I also worked directly with patients 6mo+ at a clinic and did 3+ years research both undergrad and as a job. The list goes on..

I'm in-state and was a re-applicant last cycle. I finished my primary by June 11th, received my VCU secondary July 2nd, completed two weeks later on July 16th, and had an interview September 17th. Accepted on October 16th.

Would you mind sharing how you approached the secondary research/citation wise?

For those who still haven't received a secondary yet, I think they're sending out their secondaries randomly/in batches. I literally got my primary application verified last night and I received a secondary this morning. Would be good to just pre-write your essay in the meantime.

Is anyone having a hard time logging into the VCU portal? I already set up a password, but it takes me back to the original page with the AMCAS ID, PIN etc, so I can't log in.

Is anyone having a hard time logging into the VCU portal? I already set up a password, but it takes me back to the original page with the AMCAS ID, PIN etc, so I can't log in.

Had the same problem. I just said reset pin and they fixed it for me. Then made my "new" password all numbers so it worked for either the pin or the password.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also can anybody find the supplemental instructions page? I can't find it anywhere to read where to send the US green card.

Had the same problem. I just said reset pin and they fixed it for me. Then made my "new" password all numbers so it worked for either the pin or the password.

Thanks!! Same thing happened to me. It finally let me log in.

I just want to say that although the bug that caused me to get 35 emails was annoying, their supplemental application web sight/ menu for filling it out is beautiful! It's terrible just how bad some of the other school's supplemental apps are. A lot of them look like they were made in the late 90's..

Also anyone citing actual studies for the essay? I was thinking about it but then again maybe that would be overkill, it is only 2000 characters max after all.