**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone! Checkin in from California here! 3.8* cGPA and sGPA, 98th percentile MCAT 2015, UC alumna

In my free time I love to play sports (I suck, but it's a lot of fun and it gets me away from my computer screen), art/drawing/painting, music, frolic in nature, and cuddle dogs (and subsequently find dog hair EVERYWHERE in my life). I am first-gen college student, grew up in a low-income household, from an undeserved community/region.

I'm looking to add some more schools to my app, specifically schools with a focused dedication to health equity and serving the underserved (who don't shun OOS applicants). If anyone has recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated!

Try both AZ schools. You should have no trouble getting into these provided you have decent ECs and and interview skills

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just submitted my application! ...... Now what? Hahaha.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted my application! ...... Now what? Hahaha.

We wait. -.-

Though some schools may send out secondaries BEFORE verification, so I say check your inbox/spam once a day. Best to pre-write some secondaries if you have the time. That's what I'm doing :)

Reactions: 1 user
Joining this thread! Can't believe I have officially applied to Med school. Some of these secondaries questions from previous years are insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Nope. I was just looking at some the secondary essay questions from previous years at the schools that I applied to.

Oh oops, misread your post! Yea some of the secondaries are so insane! My head hurts just thinking about how much writing is going to happen over the next couple of months...

Hi everyone,

Pretty scared to apply but I'm going to anyway.
Mostly DO but going to pray that Howard ( my #1) looks at me and gives me a chance
~3.0 cGPA/sGPA MCAT 509( extremely poor start with great upward trend )
publishing paper now
Tutor
Worked with church/ underserved population around church community
AA male
NCAA D1 athlete

Hi everyone,

Pretty scared to apply but I'm going to anyway.
Mostly DO but going to pray that Howard ( my #1) looks at me and gives me a chance
~3.0 cGPA/sGPA MCAT 509( extremely poor start with great upward trend )
publishing paper now
Tutor
Worked with church/ underserved population around church community
AA male
NCAA D1 athlete

Try Meharry in Nashville as well for MD. I know a lot of people who are thriving there.

I still need help with my list. I've pretty much finished everything, I just need to do a couple more edits of my personal statement and then wait for my MCAT score to come back in two weeks. I have thus far UVA, VCU, EVMS, GW, UNC-CH, Wake Forest, Howard, Morehouse, Meharry, Emory, Duke, Tulane, Rochester, University of Maryland, Virginia Tech, Drexel, Albany Medical College. I'm aiming to apply to at least 25-30, and I only have 17. I feel like a lot of my schools are a reach so I need more broader suggestions.....Like I said in my previous post, I'm from Virginia. I'm looking to be in a more diverse environment for medical school...I really like the biopsychosocial model on care, hence why Rochester is on my list. I'm currently also thinking about: Temple, NYMC, Sidney Kimmel, Rosalind Franklin. But idk!

-
If you need to, submit your primary with a "throwaway school" or a few schools you would be comfortable with, just to get your application verified and then decide which schools you want to add after you get your MCAT score. You'll get your score around the time the primaries are transmitted to medical schools so you should be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds good I'll add it! Say a prayer for me!

No problem you got it. We need more brothers in medicine for sure. Best of luck. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me

No problem you got it. We need more brothers in medicine for sure. Best of luck. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me

I agree! I really appreciate the help, brother! Will do

Hey all, got my MCAT score back yesterday and am not pleased in the slightest and I don't see myself garnering enough time to study for a retake this cycle. Can anyone take a look at my school list and make some recommendations?

cGPA: 3.55 sGPA: 3.67 MCAT: 503
  • Michigan resident
  • Going into 5th year
  • African American
  • ECs include founder and VP of a philanthropic pediatric cancer organization on campus for 2 years, executive board leader of a minority pre-med student org for 2 years, collegiate rowing for a year, 1 summer research internship w/ 2 publications and a poster showcased at 2 science conferences, current full-time medical scribe for a DO and 3 MDs, 1.5 years of patient care with young adults with disabilities as a home health aid, 1 year and a summer of hospital volunteering, a semester of tutoring children.
  • 10 hours of shadowing a family practitioner
  • No family in medicine
  • First generation college student
  • Interested in rural health
  • General Surgery, Ortho, Derm
  • BS in Neuroscience in Dec 2016
MD:
  • Albany
  • Central MI
  • Rosalind Franklin Chicago
  • Howard
  • Indiana
  • Lewis Ketz @ Temple
  • Loyola Stritch
  • Medical College of Wisc.
  • Michigan State MD (Current undergrad)
  • Morehouse
  • New York Medical College
  • Northwestern (letter writer's MD alma mater)
  • Oakland Univ.
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • Univ. of Illinois Chicago
  • University of Michigan
  • Virginia Commonwealth
  • Oakland Univ.
  • Wayne State
  • Western Mich. Univ.
DO:
  • MSUCOM
  • PCOM
  • CCOM
  • NYIT
  • NY-Touro
  • Cal-Touro
  • WesternU
Any help is appreciated!

You should definitely post this in the WAMC thread as it's far more active and have adcoms frequently checking.

Hey all, got my MCAT score back yesterday and am not pleased in the slightest and I don't see myself garnering enough time to study for a retake this cycle. Can anyone take a look at my school list and make some recommendations?

cGPA: 3.55 sGPA: 3.67 MCAT: 503
  • Michigan resident
  • Going into 5th year
  • African American
  • ECs include founder and VP of a philanthropic pediatric cancer organization on campus for 2 years, executive board leader of a minority pre-med student org for 2 years, collegiate rowing for a year, 1 summer research internship w/ 2 publications and a poster showcased at 2 science conferences, current full-time medical scribe for a DO and 3 MDs, 1.5 years of patient care with young adults with disabilities as a home health aid, 1 year and a summer of hospital volunteering, a semester of tutoring children.
  • 10 hours of shadowing a family practitioner
  • No family in medicine
  • First generation college student
  • Interested in rural health
  • General Surgery, Ortho, Derm
  • BS in Neuroscience in Dec 2016
MD:
  • Albany
  • Central MI
  • Rosalind Franklin Chicago
  • Howard
  • Indiana
  • Lewis Ketz @ Temple
  • Loyola Stritch
  • Medical College of Wisc.
  • Michigan State MD (Current undergrad)
  • Morehouse
  • New York Medical College
  • Northwestern (letter writer's MD alma mater)
  • Oakland Univ.
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • Univ. of Illinois Chicago
  • University of Michigan
  • Virginia Commonwealth
  • Oakland Univ.
  • Wayne State
  • Western Mich. Univ.
DO:
  • MSUCOM
  • PCOM
  • CCOM
  • NYIT
  • NY-Touro
  • Cal-Touro
  • WesternU
Any help is appreciated!
definitely post in WAMC. This is a good support group, but should not be used for asking about school lists.

Got verified today! Who Only applied to one PR school as I'm still studying for MCAT. Took NS diagnostic a few days ago and got a 505. Content review really just getting ramped up now that I'm settled in new place/job.

Anyone else studying for MCAT?

Got verified today! Who Only applied to one PR school as I'm still studying for MCAT. Took NS diagnostic a few days ago and got a 505. Content review really just getting ramped up now that I'm settled in new place/job.

Anyone else studying for MCAT?
Submitted 6/7 at 23:00. Verified on 6/17. It begins...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, joining this thread!

-cGPA: 3.89 sGPA: 3.77
-Major: BS Neuroscience, MS (keeping the degree blank for anonymity)
-MCAT: 515
-I think I'm still considered a traditional student. I graduated with the BS in spring '14 and MS in fall of '15. I'm currently working in the non-profit sector.
-EC: President of community service organization in UG & President of grad org, and a few other leadership councils and activities
-Volunteering: 500+ hours of non-clinical volunteering, 375 hours of clinical volunteering, 1700 hours as an AmeriCorps
-Research: 1500+ hours with multiple presentations and a publication
-AA female

I didn't really apply to too many schools (hopefully I won't regret this, eek!). Since I waited to apply, I have friends who are currently in medical school and they all stressed the importance of having a social support system around, so I decided to stick to schools in the southeast, where I'm from:

Medical College of Georgia (GA resident)
Emory University
University of Alabama SOM
Vanderbilt University
Duke University
Wake Forest University
Tulane University

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 4 users

-I think I'm still considered a traditional student. I graduated with the BS in spring '14 and MS in fall of '15. I'm currently working in the non-profit sector.
-EC: President of community service organization in UG & President of grad org, and a few other leadership councils and activities
-Volunteering: 500+ hours of non-clinical volunteering, 375 hours of clinical volunteering, 1700 hours as an AmeriCorps
-AA female

I didn't really apply to too many schools (hopefully I won't regret this, eek!). Since I waited to apply, I have friends who are currently in medical school and they all stressed the importance of having a social support system around, so I decided to stick to schools in the southeast, where I'm from:

Emory University
Vanderbilt University
Duke University
Wake Forest University
Tulane University

Good luck to everyone!

Hi! Looks like you have a great app in the making. I would strongly urge you to apply to more schools. I seriously think only 7 schools is simply not enough. You need to make sure you have your bases covered, fit, stats, etc. I would broaden your apps some, even if it's just going up to 15, that's far better than 7.

Also, while having social support near you, it's also important to have the curriculum, school environment, and whatever else (example research etc) that you would be interested in. Plus, you would increase your chances for better financial aid awards.

And finally, I think you have great stats to apply to some powerhouses as well! Perhaps others can chime in.

Good luck!

-AA female

Emory University
Vanderbilt University
Duke University
Wake Forest University
Tulane University

Good luck to everyone!
I agree with Whitty, apply to a few more schools. Just from personal experience, I realized more of what I did/didn't like in a school as I went on interviews so I think that if you have more schools, you have a better shot of finding one that's the right fit after spending some time at a diverse set of schools.

-AA female

Emory University
Vanderbilt University
Duke University
Wake Forest University
Tulane University

Good luck to everyone!

You have a FANTASTIC application. If you can afford to definitely apply to more schools. At least 10-15 total. Don't sell yourself short girl!

P.S. I did Americorps as well! :D

Pre-writing and working full-time to save up $$$. Thankfully i've been done with MCATs since january.

Aww I wish I would have had the time earlier in the year. I'm also working full-time, and volunteering. But it's night an day from during the school year. I get about 8-10 hours a day of studying on average.

How much are you hoping to spend on the app season, including travel?

Aww I wish I would have had the time earlier in the year. I'm also working full-time, and volunteering. But it's night an day from during the school year. I get about 8-10 hours a day of studying on average.

How much are you hoping to spend on the app season, including travel?
Too much haha

Too much haha

I'm primarily sticking to my coast, so hope to drive to 90% of schools, and maybe AirBnB it.

I need costs to be as low as humanly possible. Saw on MD apps a lot of schools offered hotel, some even flights. That would be, just, amazing. Fingers crossed.

I'm primarily sticking to my coast, so hope to drive to 90% of schools, and maybe AirBnB it.

I need costs to be as low as humanly possible. Saw on MD apps a lot of schools offered hotel, some even flights. That would be, just, amazing. Fingers crossed.

Doing the same thing. Sticking primarily to the east coast to cut costs. Out of the 20 schools I applied to, three schools are in the Midwest (ties with those schools) and 2 schools are on the west coast. Thank God I'm done with the MCAT. All the best to you! You got this.

@WhittyPsyche @soundslikefire @JoannePrada

Thanks for the words of encouragement you guys! I'll probably add maybe two or three more schools to my list, but I'm keeping costs (primary and secondary fees as well as interview traveling) in mind as well. I could see myself at the schools on my current list, though the curriculum structure at Duke and Vandy do give me slight pause (I have a friend who is about to start his M3 year at Vandy, so I've heard from him and his friends about their experiences). I also tried to have a balance of safety, close reaches, and reach schools with my choices, since I knew my funds were going to be pretty tight.

Also, @soundslikefire shout out to a fellow americorps!! #getthingsdone! :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Doing the same thing. Sticking primarily to the east coast to cut costs. Out of the 20 schools I applied to, three schools are in the Midwest (ties with those schools) and 2 schools are on the west coast. Thank God I'm done with the MCAT. All the best to you! You got this.

Lol that's exactly what my list is shaping out to be like. Alas we'll see after the MCAT

Hi everyone,

I'm sort of new to SDN but I've been lurking for a while. I'm moving some of my info over from the WAMC thread I created. I'm being purposefully vague about some things for a little anonymity.
~3.3cGPA, ~3.5sGPA, 517

African American Nontrad
Engineering major
Worked in the industry for a number of years, including taking on some leadership roles

ECs:
100 clinical volunteer hours
300 research hours - no pubs
300 community service hours
100 shadowing hours including DO
800 hours EMT/CNA/Scribe type stuff
Recently started doing some tutoring/TA work

I was originally going to apply to DO, low-tier MD, and some mid-tier MD, but I was advised to throw in some reach schools. We'll see what happens.

Some of you seem like really great applicants in terms of ECs and academics. It's kinda intimidating. I wish everyone the best of luck during the app season.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone,

I'm sort of new to SDN but I've been lurking for a while. I'm moving some of my info over from the WAMC thread I created. I'm being purposefully vague about some things for a little anonymity.
~3.3cGPA, ~3.5sGPA, 517

African American Nontrad
Engineering major
Worked in the industry for a number of years, including taking on some leadership roles

ECs:

I was originally going to apply to DO, low-tier MD, and some mid-tier MD, but I was advised to throw in some reach schools. We'll see what happens.

Some of you seem like really great applicants in terms of ECs and academics. It's kinda intimidating. I wish everyone the best of luck during the app season.

One thing my mom always told me, "Stay in your own lane". I know in the U.S. It has a negative connotation but for my culture it doesn't, so I am quite fond of it.

Don't be intimidated by anyone else, care for yourself, work for yourself, focus on yourself. Don't cause yourself any undue stress, be confident in the app you have and the candidate you are! Exude that confidence! Best of luck in the process.

I truly hope we can all be a strong support system for each other, my anxiety level will be through the roof.

Last edited:
One thing my mom always told me, "Stay in your own lane". I know in the U.S. It has a negative connotation but for my culture it ain't so and I am quite fond of it.

Don't be intimidated by anyone else, care for yourself, work for yourself, focus on yourself. Don't cause yourself any undue stress, be confident in the app you have and the candidate you are! Exude that confidence! Best of luck in the process.

I truly hope we can all be a strong support system for each other, my anxiety level will be through the roof.

I agree with this. In the end we're all great applicants in our own ways! I hope we all get into the medical schools we want to go to :)

Thanks for the encouragement, @WhittyPsyche. Sometimes I get in the habit of focusing on the negative instead of being optimistic. Every once in a while, I need someone to talk me off the ledge, so to speak:).

We should all definitely support and encourage each other, because just getting to the point of applying is an accomplishment in itself. Many of our brothers and sisters have fallen by the wayside along the journey.

Thanks for the encouragement, @WhittyPsyche. Sometimes I get in the habit of focusing on the negative instead of being optimistic. Every once in a while, I need someone to talk me off the ledge, so to speak:).

We should all definitely support and encourage each other, because just getting to the point of applying is an accomplishment in itself. Many of our brothers and sisters have fallen by the wayside along the journey.
This is true! We've made it this far though! We have to finish strong!

Definitely! I am the first in a very extended large family (my mom has 12 siblings 2nd youngest, dad has 6) to graduate from college, much less be an aspiring Doctor! Everyday I feel so incredibly overwhelmed with joy that I've been able to get this far. My mom gave up everything to come to this country, so I can't be anything but proud of my journey!

We all have our struggles and challenges, but we are here, and we are going to destroy this app cycle! And future applicants will have great role models that represent them!

-AA female

Emory University
Vanderbilt University
Duke University
Wake Forest University
Tulane University

Good luck to everyone!
Just wanted to emphasize what others are saying. With your application and background you have a legitimate shot of getting into schools like Harvard, Stanford, etc. DO NOT sell yourself short. Of course if those are too far away or dont have what youre looking for dont apply. But do you due diligence first. You really can "apply anywhere". Best of luck:)

Hey everyone I am an AA male checking in. I am not applying till next cycle. But I just wanted to let you know I am rooting hard for all of you!! I'm excited to see how your cycles turn out.

Good luck to all!:)

Last edited:

-AA female

Emory University
Vanderbilt University
Duke University
Wake Forest University
Tulane University

Good luck to everyone!
@WhittyPsyche @soundslikefire @JoannePrada

Thanks for the words of encouragement you guys! I'll probably add maybe two or three more schools to my list, but I'm keeping costs (primary and secondary fees as well as interview traveling) in mind as well. I could see myself at the schools on my current list, though the curriculum structure at Duke and Vandy do give me slight pause (I have a friend who is about to start his M3 year at Vandy, so I've heard from him and his friends about their experiences). I also tried to have a balance of safety, close reaches, and reach schools with my choices, since I knew my funds were going to be pretty tight.

Also, @soundslikefire shout out to a fellow americorps!! #getthingsdone! :laugh:

I'm an AA non-trad and a neuroscience major. Applying this cycle and from GA!

Wishing you the best of luck!!!:clap: I hope you find the perfect fit.

Hi everyone,

~3.3cGPA, ~3.5sGPA, 517

African American Nontrad
Engineering major

ECs:

You should definitely apply to top tier with those stats. Look back at older threads and see how people with similar stats turned out.

You're going to be great! I sometimes do the same and fixate on what's not going right, it's human nature. But I found that reminding myself to delete the negative and focus on the positives helps. And like @WhittyPsyche said, this forum is a place anyone can come to to feel supported! :)

Hi everyone,

~3.3cGPA, ~3.5sGPA, 517

African American Nontrad
Engineering major

ECs:

To reiterate what everyone else has said, definitely don't sell yourself short! You have a great application, a lot of clinical exposure, and experience! That will definitely stand out :)

I'm an AA non-trad and a neuroscience major. Applying this cycle and from GA!

Wishing you the best of luck!!!:clap: I hope you find the perfect fit.

Haha, that's so awesome! Same to you, hope we all get in where we fit in! :claps:

It's great to see how supportive everyone on this thread is of each other. Sometimes I feel like I have to purposefully avoid certain threads on SDN for the sake of my own sanity. After being here for a while, you start to feel like if you have anything less than a 4.0/40 MCAT/3 1st author NEJM pubs, you are relegated to online Caribbean schools, or something. I have to remind myself that the applicant profile on SDN is not a true reflection of the general population and that getting into medical school is more than just about numbers. Let's all stay positive.:)

Reactions: 7 users

-AA female

Emory University
Vanderbilt University
Duke University
Wake Forest University
Tulane University

Good luck to everyone!
you know you can get into any school you want, right?

Reactions: 8 users
Don't mind me. Currently laying down trying to force myself to start prewriting secondaries.