This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah that must be quite a challenge.. have you thought about nursing homes that might have observation hours options during the weekends?

A lot of clinics/hospitals have much lower PT staffing on the weekends. Also, generally you want to observe with the same PT to build a connection/earn a recommendation, and they may only work one Saturday a month. I found it incredibly difficult to find obs opportunities on the weekends and ended up going down to part time to get my inpatient hours in. Definitely a big challenge to fit observation and night classes in with full time work.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an interview offer yesterday for UTMB. Interviewing 11/4!

Reactions: 2 users
This may be a dumb question, but is bringing a portfolio/printed resume and transcript to an interview necessary. I know this is a required thing for business and job interviews, but wasn't sure about pt school.

I wouldn't worry about transcripts, but I gave the interviewer my resume for my last interview right before I left! The school was in a small town so I didn't know if it was overkill at first... but I gave it to them anyways! They appreciated it and said they would put it in my portfolio for me. It lets them know that you are well prepared! Regardless of whether or not they already have your information, its good for them to see it. It definitely doesn't hurt!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey so I just realized something that I want to ask you guys about. In PTCAS when you are entering in your transcript information, it said indicate if the course is a Core PT Prerequisite, did you mark that it was even if the school you were applying for doesn't necessarily count it as a prerequisite there? For example, UNT doesn't count statistics as a prerequisite, but PTCAS has it as one of the core prerequisite courses. Did you, or did you not include it in your pGPA calculation? I just noticed I marked statistics because it was on the core perquisite list on PTCAS even though it isn't a prereq for either school I applied for. That would change my GPA slightly, but it goes from a 3.63 to a 3.66 which at least looks a little better.

Hey so I just realized something that I want to ask you guys about. In PTCAS when you are entering in your transcript information, it said indicate if the course is a Core PT Prerequisite, did you mark that it was even if the school you were applying for doesn't necessarily count it as a prerequisite there? For example, UNT doesn't count statistics as a prerequisite, but PTCAS has it as one of the core prerequisite courses. Did you, or did you not include it in your pGPA calculation? I just noticed I marked statistics because it was on the core perquisite list on PTCAS even though it isn't a prereq for either school I applied for. That would change my GPA slightly, but it goes from a 3.63 to a 3.66 which at least looks a little better.

So I read on the FAQ's on PTCAS that inputing all of your coursework in general "allows your programs to calculate custom GPAs without manually entering course credits and grades", but that is a really good question. I am assuming since they have all your courses anyways UNT would calculate your actual GPA themselves. I could be wrong. Maybe try to email them?

It's not necessary unless they specifically ask you to bring it with you. If they didn't, they won't look at it.

From what I understand, not everyschool includes pGPA in their calculations. Some schools just look to see how well you did in their pre-req. The PTCAS pGPA is a broad overview of what most schools consider a prerequisite thus can be subjective - that's why it's a self reported pGPA.
If a school includes pGPA as part of their formula, then chances are they will just calculate their own, so you don't have to worry about it. Your PTCAS pGPA might not match every school's specific pre-req and schools know that. If it matters to them then they calculate their own or make you fill a separate prereq form ( for ex: TWU and Tx State do that)

Can't wait to see all the Texas tech interview folks tomorrow! Is anyone else going to Odessa?

Hey guys, had the UNT interview yesterday!
It was 30 of us and we were divided in 4 groups. My group had the campus tour first, then individual interview, then a student panel. The facility is really nice, and very modern! DPT students lead the campus tour and the student panel so there was plenty of occasion to ask questions!
I feel like my interview went well! I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be and the faculty was nice and it felt like a conversation. There was a DPT student there as well. I don't know how long it lasted but I used the full time (until another DPT student came to get me). Overall I feel like I answered all of his and her questions and said the main I wanted to say... I think maybe I could have talked a little bit more slowly and go more in depth on some questions.
Oh and it was a blinded interview! Meaning the person interviewing me had no idea who I was and didn't read my file.
At the end all of the faculty came in the room and we had one last opportunity to ask questions. The school definitely did a good impression on me, there is an emphasis on inter-profession relationships and PT students have gross anatomy with PA student. The faculty also seems very open and approachable and like they go the extra mile for you!
I think the only downside to me was that the gym is just ridiculously small and dark and underequipped and it's like a big contrast with the rest of the facility; and that the DPT students do prosections rather than dissections meaning that the TCOM (ostheopathic) students are the ones dissecting the cadavers and the PT students get the cadaver already cut for them to look at.

Anyway, overall it went well and they said we should hear back in 2 weeks, maybe earlier.

How did the Texas tech interview go? Any tips?

How did the Texas tech interview go? Any tips?
It was good. They are pretty laid back. They didn't ask any unusual questions. It was mostly "why pt?" And "talk about a challenge you overcame."

We got a presentation about some program highlights. We got 1-on-1 interviews with a professor and then we had a campus tour and time to ask questions to DPT students. I did Odessa but I think the system would be similar for the other TTUHSC campuses. Good luck other TTUHSC interviewers!

I have a question for you guys who just did the Tech interviews! Did you guys put Odessa as your primary choice campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question for you guys who just did the Tech interviews! Did you guys put Odessa as your primary choice campus?
Nope. It was my second. I don't think they necessarily interview at the place that you will be put. They asked us what campus we wanted to attend when we got there.

Tech interview was very relaxed, and conversational. All the professors interviewing were very personable and talking to the current students beforehand helped to ease my nerves! All pretty basic questions

Don't let the fact that the school does prosections rather than dissections deter you from it. Honestly, I wish my program did that. We all feel as though we waste a lot of time during the actual dissections because we don't know what we are looking for/at and we cut through a lot of important structures. What's more important is getting to see the end result.

I did not put Odessa but it seemed like the students at the Odessa campus really liked it. They had nothing but good things to say about it. When is your interview scheduled for?

I did not put Odessa but it seemed like the students at the Odessa campus really liked it. They had nothing but good things to say about it. When is your interview scheduled for?

Haha, actually I just wanted to know. I get so antsy with these schools!

For those of you applying to TWU, I want to ask a quick question. They asked us to send them our resumés via email. I just wanted to know around how long y'alls resumes are. I know they usually say limit it to one page, but I just know i won't fit everything in one page. I don't want to make it around three pages long either because then i feel like they're just going to look at it and immediately think it's long. Also, did y'all include extra curricular activities and community service on it or just strictly former jobs and PT related experience? I would really appreciate the feedback guys, thanks!

My résumé was 2 pages long. I researched this a lot on the internet actually and most websites said that you want a graduate resume to be 2 pages rather than one. My boss confirmed this. Another thing is that TWU wants you to include all the observation hours you've done on your resume so one page is definetely not going to make it.
On mine I put: objective, education, awards, honors & achievements, research experience, observation hours, professional experience and relevant skills.
I wouldn't make it more than 2 pages though.

For those of you applying to TWU, I want to ask a quick question. They asked us to send them our resumés via email. I just wanted to know around how long y'alls resumes are. I know they usually say limit it to one page, but I just know i won't fit everything in one page. I don't want to make it around three pages long either because then i feel like they're just going to look at it and immediately think it's long. Also, did y'all include extra curricular activities and community service on it or just strictly former jobs and PT related experience? I would really appreciate the feedback guys, thanks!
Mine was also 2 pages. Include extracurriculars/leadership experiences/awards/certifications/community service.

My résumé was 2 pages long. I researched this a lot on the internet actually and most websites said that you want a graduate resume to be 2 pages rather than one. My boss confirmed this. Another thing is that TWU wants you to include all the observation hours you've done on your resume so one page is definetely not going to make it.
On mine I put: objective, education, awards, honors & achievements, research experience, observation hours, professional experience and relevant skills.
I wouldn't make it more than 2 pages though.

Oh okay, did you also put the amount of hours you completed or just listed the locations where you shadowed at?

Are any of the Tech interviewees getting antsy to hear back? Did they tell anyone when decisions will be made?

Don't let the fact that the school does prosections rather than dissections deter you from it. Honestly, I wish my program did that. We all feel as though we waste a lot of time during the actual dissections because we don't know what we are looking for/at and we cut through a lot of important structures. What's more important is getting to see the end result.

Thanks for the insight!!

Are any of the Tech interviewees getting antsy to hear back? Did they tell anyone when decisions will be made?

A lot of DPT students I talked with at the interview said they heard back in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone gotten a letter of acceptance or interview from TWU/UNT/TSU? I am still impatiently awaiting!

Has anyone gotten a letter of acceptance or interview from TWU/UNT/TSU? I am still impatiently awaiting!

We won't hear anything from TWU until they make their final decisions in December; they don't interview! Texas State just started looking at applications 3 days ago. And a couple people in this thread said they went to the UNT interview last Friday!

Definitely antsy. I haven't heard back yet, but I've also heard its usually about 2 weeks.

Definitely antsy. I haven't heard back yet, but I've also heard its usually about 2 weeks.
They told me 2 weeks to 3 months so even if we don't hear immediately, we might still make it. Idk if that's better or worse but that's what I heard.

Does anyone know if early interview/early acceptance for angelo state is binding? Does it mean that if they accept you, you have to go there, or they just let you know earlier than if you were in regular admissions?

I don't think it is binding because they don't participate in PTCAS ED, I think it just means you hear earlier.

I remember TWU said on their caps tours they start letting people know in October and it just goes on until December.

Anyone else interviewing for Angelo State 11/18? Just received the invitation today!

Congrats on the Angelo State interview!! I haven't heard anything from them yet... hopefully I hear soon!

I have an update though... I got into TWU!
I kinda found out last Monday (09/26) by accident while on the phone with Ms Daugherty but I was waiting to receive the official email because it just didn't feel real...
I received the email today !!!!! I have till 10/28 to reply

Reactions: 5 users
Anybody heard from UTHSCA? Haven't seen anybody mention anything from them...

Congrats on the Angelo State interview!! I haven't heard anything from them yet... hopefully I hear soon!

I kinda found out last Monday (09/26) by accident while on the phone with Ms Daugherty but I was waiting to receive the official email because it just didn't feel real...
Congrats! For the Dallas or Houston campus?

I received the email today !!!!! I have till 10/28 to reply[/QUOTY

Yaaaa congrats! That's awesome. It's great to know that you are in a PT school. Hopefully you will get into your top choice but I can imagine it's a huge relief regardless!!!! :) :) :)

Anybody heard from UTHSCA? Haven't seen anybody mention anything from them...
From reading previous forums, they are often pretty late for interviews and for acceptances. They get started around January/February it seems...

That's great! Congrats!

@ejdaniel2017 , the Houston campus!!

And thanks y'all !! yes definitely a relief! I'm very very thankful

That's great. Congrats. I was accepted as well at TWU and am still waiting to hear back from UNT from the interview last week. It feels so good to have a definite option. Still haven't heard anything from UTHSCSA though.

Last edited:
That's great. Congrats. I was accepted as well at TWU and am still waiting to hear back from UNT from the interview last week. It feels so good to have a definite option. Still haven't heard anything from UTHSCSA though.

Congrats! I don't know if I missed your stats from a previous post, but would you mind posting them? I'm just curious as to how my stats are compared to others who are already accepted and/or getting interview offers.

Sure. Here they are:

Major: Rehab Science
Undergrad GPA : 3.92
Science GPA: 3.97
Pre req GPA: 3.99
GRE. 153 Verbal, 153 Quantitative 4.0 AW

Hours: 600-700 complete: inpatient, outpatient ortho, pediatric, cardiopulmonary, aquatic, geriatric, neuro. Currently working as a PT tech, so another 1000 hours being worked on. Attended an internship for physical therapy at NYU Medical school (150 hours)

Extracurricular : Division I Varsity Swimmer, Team captain, camp counselor, Pre- PT society officer, adapted sports volunteer, tri athlete, Science and Math tutor.

Recommendations: Four. Two PT, one professor in the major , and from someone affiliated with the team

Applied to: UF, UCF, UNF, USF, Duke, Delaware, Emory, UTHSCSA, UNTHSC, TWU, UTMB

Interviews: UTMB (9/9)UNT (9/30)

Acceptances: TWU, UNT

Last edited:
Congrats! I don't know if I missed your stats from a previous post, but would you mind posting them? I'm just curious as to how my stats are compared to others who are already accepted and/or getting interview offers.
I am told twu doesn't do interviews so I guess that's why they are getting back to people so fast. They said they will notify us by 12/15 so I think we may still get acceptances just later on. I do not enjoy this waiting business though.