2016-2017 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup that happened to me. Mine appeared complete after a few days.

I added Stanford a little late in the game.

But did anyone experience having their letters marked as incomplete even though it also states they're received by them?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
MD/PhD II, literally started crying this is like a dreeam of dreams come true

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who applied to regular MD received interview ? although on MSAR it says acceptance notifications will be sent in Oct!

Has anyone who applied to regular MD received interview ? although on MSAR it says acceptance notifications will be sent in Oct!

IIs have already started to be sent out. The earliest interview dates offered though have been in October? So idk if acceptance notifications will be sent in the same month? From last year's thread, it seems that acceptances were sent out starting in November and they started interviewing in September last year.

Hey everyone, very late on submitting this secondary, question for those of you who received IIs - did you have extensive research experience? My application is very EC-heavy however more clinical experience than hands-on research so I'm not sure if its a waste of money for me

Hey everyone, very late on submitting this secondary, question for those of you who received IIs - did you have extensive research experience? My application is very EC-heavy however more clinical experience than hands-on research so I'm not sure if its a waste of money for me
Honestly, lack of meaningful research at a place like Stanford is a knock against an application. That being said, there are 4% of matriculants according to msar who had no research experience. I'm sure not all 96%of those who did, had meaningful contributions. If your app stands out in spite of lack of research, you could cancel out the knock. Bottom line: You'll never know if you don't apply!

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, lack of meaningful research at a place like Stanford is a knock against an application. That being said, there are 4% of matriculants according to msar who had no research experience. I'm sure not all 96%of those who did, had meaningful contributions. If your app stands out in spite of lack of research, you could cancel out the knock. Bottom line: You'll never know if you don't apply!

Thanks for your response! I have research experience but its more behavioral and public health research so I'm not sure if I'm what they're looking for. Did you incorporate your research into your secondary essays or just kinda let your AMCAS activities section speak for itself?

Thanks for your response! I have research experience but its more behavioral and public health research so I'm not sure if I'm what they're looking for. Did you incorporate your research into your secondary essays or just kinda let your AMCAS activities section speak for itself?
As an undergrad, it doesn't matter what kind of research you do. What matters is that you have developed the critical analysis skills that come with doing research.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an undergrad, it doesn't matter what kind of research you do. What matters is that you have developed the critical analysis skills that come with doing research.
agreed. behavioral and pubic health research absolutely counts and is valued just as much as anything else. they're looking for dedication and the ability to develop an idea and explore it as research trains you to do.

agreed. behavioral and pubic health research absolutely counts and is valued just as much as anything else. they're looking for dedication and the ability to develop an idea and explore it as research trains you to do.

Thanks guys! Will be submitting my supplemental tonight :) Better late than never!

Need some input from any SMS students. @mrpeduncle

How important are publications to SMS? If you have significant long term domestic and international research experiences (presentations, posters, abstracts, etc) but no publications, are you at a disadvantage? Are there any cutoffs with regard to MCAT subsection scores and how does SMS assess an applicant with both an undergraduate and graduate GPA (e.g. do they weight one more heavily than the other)?

How important are publications to SMS? If you have significant long term domestic and international research experiences (presentations, posters, abstracts, etc) but no publications, are you at a disadvantage? Are there any cutoffs with regard to MCAT subsection scores and how does SMS assess an applicant with both an undergraduate and graduate GPA (e.g. do they weight one more heavily than the other)?

I HAVE THE SAME QUESTIONS!! :(

I HAVE THE SAME QUESTIONS!! :(
With all due respect, SMS students are not adcom. There haven't been any gpa or MCAT cut offs publicised therefore a current student wouldn't be aware of one. Lack of publications always counts as a knock against your application at a place like Stanford but as long as your pros outweigh that, you're golden :) apply! Try your luck ;)

With all due respect, SMS students are not adcom. There haven't been any gpa or MCAT cut offs publicised therefore a current student wouldn't be aware of one. Lack of publications always counts as a knock against your application at a place like Stanford but as long as your pros outweigh that, you're golden :) apply! Try your luck ;)

Thanks for the response. I was looking through MDapps yesterday and noticed that most, if not all of the accepted applicants to Stanford, had publications. It's just mind boggling to think that some research-intensive medical schools want applicants to have publications.

I decided to throw my hat in the ring here and try my luck.

^^^Yeah. Im sorry I can't answer any of these questions. I don't know the answers. I'm not involved with adcom and I've only been here 3 weeks.

If anyone has questions about the first weeks of school, I can answer those. :)

Thanks for the response. I was looking through MDapps yesterday and noticed that most, if not all of the accepted applicants to Stanford, had publications. It's just mind boggling to think that some research-intensive medical schools want applicants to have publications.

I decided to throw my hat in the ring here and try my luck.

Their mission statement is basically, "Be a top research school". Seems reasonable to me that they would try to recruit people who have been successful in the research environment. I have no research and figured I'd throw my hat in the ring too, but am definitely not getting my hopes up.

Hi all, first time poster here! Has anyone who has received an interview invite been contacted by admissions regarding student hosts? I filled out the form on the portal but haven't heard back since..

If there are any MS2 or MS3 students reading this thread, I would really appreciate it if you could share how you balance the Scholarly Concentration requirements with prep for step 1?

Is there sufficient time to do both adequately? Are lectures in any way geared towards helping students do well on boards?

Thank you for your time and insight!

II email arrived at 9:01 CST yesterday (Saturday) morning!! Extremely grateful-- Ahhh!
The only available date that I saw was Nov. 9th, but they will likely be opening up more dates.

Complete 8/24 (I sat on this secondary for almost a month, and I could not believe I had heard back so soon!! This process does not make sense!) ; LizzyM 72-73
Good luck, everyone!!

Reactions: 2 users
9/17 Saturday morning -- II from MD program! Completed August 31st. I: 10/29

I'd say its more like an 84. 526 doesnt equal 43 just because it's 2 points. The scales aren't equivalent.

It's about a 41, actually. If you equate the percentiles, 528 is 43-44, 527 is 42, and 526 is 41.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But how? It's all 100th percentile above 520 or so. How do you equate a 526 to a 41?

They're all 99.5+ percentile, since the AAMC rounds to the nearest whole number for their reports. If you look at the graphs, though, you can estimate what the actual percentile is pretty accurately and compare it to the graphs/percentiles of the pre-2015 MCAT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. Pretty sure once you're >80, there's no difference.

EDIT: BTW, it's insane there are three >80 applicants on this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Does Stanford accept application updates?

Another underdog reporting in. Submitted my secondary last week. Complete today. I think Stanford is a great fit for my interests and background, but I'm really rolling the dice with my late submission and <10th percentile scores. :(

I actually didn't tell anyone I was applying here given the odds and the money it costs to apply. Applying in secret makes me feel like I'm hiding a gambling problem or something. :laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
Do they give out II according to the date submitted? If we didn't get a II yet, but submitted early August does that mean it's a rejection? :/

Do they give out II according to the date submitted? If we didn't get a II yet, but submitted early August does that mean it's a rejection? :/
Not necessarily. Last year I was complete in august, didn't get an invite until january.

Friendly reminder for those who got an II and have their MMI date coming up – don't forget to reconfirm your MMI date within 5 days of your interview date!

G'luck to anyone else interviewing this Friday :).