2016-2017 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hopkins MS1 here, admissions deans just said that first acceptances will be going out in about 7-10 days, but they were just estimating so don't freak out if it's a little off.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
MS1 here, some stuff from admin:

Decisions are expected to be sent in around 10 days

SLW planned for weekend of 4/6...same weekend as Stanford, Yale, P&S, Pritzker, Case, Pitt, Rochester

Hopkins MS1 here, admissions deans just said that first acceptances will be going out in about 7-10 days, but they were just estimating so don't freak out if it's a little off.

Thanks!

Does anyone remember the email to which we sent post-II updates? I do not have my interview folder with me at this time....

Members don't see this ad :)
I vaguely remember the Dean saying something about how application updates don't hold all that much weight post-interview when someone asked the question, but I'm not sure if I am correctly remembering this!

Does anyone recall if this is accurate or not? I would like to send a brief application update but it's nothing groundbreaking, and am wondering if I should send it or not!

Thanks a bunch.

I vaguely remember the Dean saying something about how application updates don't hold all that much weight post-interview when someone asked the question, but I'm not sure if I am correctly remembering this!

Does anyone recall if this is accurate or not? I would like to send a brief application update but it's nothing groundbreaking, and am wondering if I should send it or not!

Thanks a bunch.
While I can't speak to how much it will help, it certainly won't hurt your application. So by all means send it!

ACCEPTED just now - first acceptance of the cycle! Saw the email at work and had to run out of the office before bursting into tears

Edit post-excitement: LizzyM 80, interviewed late Oct

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
ACCEPTED!!! i'm still shaking aaaahhhhhhhh!!!!

since i know everyone will ask this - LizzyM of like ˜77, interviewed end of October, non-trad!

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted! I cried - again!! LizzyM ~70 (non-trad, non-URM)

Living proof that med school admissions goes beyond numbers. Grateful to the admissions committee for believing in me and giving me this incredible opportunity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Has anyone heard negatively yet? Trying to figure out if no news on my end is necessarily bad news... Maybe they sent out acceptances before other decisions?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we think that's it for the day? Haha I'm super anxious and don't want to keep looking at my email.

Also does anyone know if they reject people now too or just wait until the end of the cycle?

Reactions: 1 users
Do we think that's it for the day? Haha I'm super anxious and don't want to keep looking at my email.

Also does anyone know if they reject people now too or just wait until the end of the cycle?

Not sure. Since the current MS1's above said it'd be about 7-10 days on last Friday, maybe they'll be releasing decisions in bursts from now until then? Like they've staggered them over the next few days for some reason? And not sure about waiting them waiting to say no till the end of the cycle... I remember them saying during my interview that if you weren't selected in the December decision group you'd be in consideration for the spring decision group but I don't know if that means they would just not say anything in December.

Did anyone who interviewed in September hear back?

Reactions: 1 user
I also interviewed in early September and haven't heard anything. A friend of mine interviewed either end of August/first days of September (I can't remember) and they were accepted.

Per admissions team:
"Additional notifications regarding decisions will be sent via e-mail tomorrow."

It doesn't mean much, but chin up, everyone! I was just in your shoes last year, so I know it's a very stressful and exciting time. Even if all the acceptances for this batch were sent out (and we don't know if they are), you still have a chance! I believe (but don't quote me) that Hopkins is one of those schools that may reconsider applicants who are on hold/wait-listed for their later batches.

For what it's worth, I was a wait-listed applicant, and I was pulled off in early May. If Hopkins is where you want to, it doesn't hurt to let the admissions committee know that.

Reactions: 4 users
II today! Email sent around noon. Congrats to those of you who were accepted today, and best of luck to y'all still waiting! :)

Secondary submitted mid august, complete mid october, LizzyM ~77

Reactions: 5 users
Does Johns Hopkins send a complete email or just a secondary receipt email?

Congrats to everyone accepted today!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone interviewed after November receive acceptance so far?

Does Johns Hopkins send a complete email or just a secondary receipt email?

Early on in the process Hopkins didn't send out complete emails. Was one of the first to get an II and only received a secondary receipt email. Not sure what it's like now though.

Interviewed in September. Heard back yesterday. Decisions may or may not be released in order (?)

There's like 0% chance we will hear good news today right?

There's like 0% chance we will hear good news today right?
I want to believe internally that there might be more acceptances today. Realistically though, only acceptance posts have been made on the thread; so its unlikely that today will contain any more acceptances :/ Not sure why Hopkins decided to split it this way. Pretty cruel. BUT I hope I'm wrong. Not sure whats taking them so long to email the rest of us, they obviously must have the decision emails ready at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
From previous years it looks like their emails typically go out around 1 for final decisions so I would expect we'll hear something around then. It also looks like in previous years wait lists and rejections have come out up to a few hours later than acceptances but not a full day. I think the chances are slim, but the change may mean we still have hope for more acceptances today.

I also just feel like fewer people than normal posted they were accepted but that's not really a reliable measure.

Rejected post interview. Dont need to wait for an email, just go onto the portal

Rejected as well. Best of luck to the rest of you guys :)

alternate list (portal only), not the worst news i guess

Rejected as well post interview. Congrats to all those accepted!

Alternate list, too. We'll see what the next 7 months bring! Sorry to those rejected :( I'm sure interviewing here means we'll all have a good shot somewhere!

Reactions: 4 users
A-list.
Apparently, there is a high and low waitlist? How can we know where we are? my letter indicated that it was unranked.

Has anyone else not gotten an email either way yet? I can't work up the courage to check the portal myself haha.

Edit: got an email a few minutes later. Was rejected. Congrats to all the waitlisters and acceptees! Not sure why they would make all of us so worked up by splitting up the accepts one day and the alternates/denials another....seems pretty cruel to me

Last edited:
Not sure why they would make all of us so worked up by splitting up the accepts one day and the alternates/denials another....seems pretty cruel to me

Have they always done it this way before? If memory serves, I think Hopkins might have sent out all decisions at once, just in two to three waves right? A very peculiar year. My deepest condolence.

A-list.
Apparently, there is a high and low waitlist? How can we know where we are? my letter indicated that it was unranked.

I don't think it's unranked; I think they just cannot tell us our ranking.

Rejected today. Not shocking, since my interviewer was not a fan of my non-traditional background and only asked me black and white questions like "what's your gpa/mcat," "who wrote your letters of recommendation" that made it appear as though he hadn't even read my app. Luckily, the rest of my cycle is going well and I think I fit better with other schools. Good luck to those still waiting to hear, and congrats to all those accepted!!

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Has anyone received an email notification that their statement of intent was received?

EDIT: I've checked with a few other accepted applicants who did not receive an email confirmation either. If you haven't received one, I would not worry about it.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if a deposit is required to keep our spot, or is submitting statement of intent sufficient?

Does anybody know how we're supposed to send thank you notes to our student interviewers? After the interview, I asked my interviewer for his email address, but he said it was policy not to give interviewees email addresses and that I'd have additional info about thank you notes in the folder... but I dont see it anywhere.

Does anybody know how we're supposed to send thank you notes to our student interviewers? After the interview, I asked my interviewer for his email address, but he said it was policy not to give interviewees email addresses and that I'd have additional info about thank you notes in the folder... but I dont see it anywhere.

I emailed mine to Ms. Mazza and she forwarded them to my interviewers for me.

I emailed mine to Ms. Mazza and she forwarded them to my interviewers for me.
Thanks for letting me know!

Another issue though is that I dont actually have my student interviewer's full name. He introduced himelf by name, but Im not sure how to spell it (it was an Indian name). Would it be weird if I had to ask Ms. Mazza which interviewer I was assigned because I cant spell his name?