2016-2017 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes we do. We already have a spreadsheet for people asking for a host.
Thank you for letting us know!

I would love a host. Do you know where/how we can set this up? I saw nothing on my interview info either.
Send an email to admissions. That's what I did and they got back to me with student hosting info pretty quickly.

Members don't see this ad.

II!!! complete mid July, LizzyM 76. It looks like they have a lot of early interview dates still open (2 dates in September, 8 in October, 9 in November), so there are still many IIs to come!

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah seems like I've been passed over this round then XD

Congrats to you two! Good luck at your interviews!

Heh :) Puppies help even the most stressful cycles

Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 users
II too -- Long Island schools come through! Complete 7/25.

September dates are gone as I'm typing this message...that was fast! Earliest date now 10/5

Edit: dates keep disappearing. I guess a wave of IIs just went out. this is worse than trying to register for classes during freshman year at college

lol i know right? i'm considering my options and suddenly realizing i don't have many left. ya'll premeds are crazy!

Ah seems like I've been passed over this round then XD

Congrats to you two! Good luck at your interviews!
Luckily there seem to be a good amount of interview slots left, so they have many more IIs to give out soon! Good luck!!!

Luckily there seem to be a good amount of interview slots left, so they have many more IIs to give out soon! Good luck!!!

Thanks for keeping me hopeful!

Of course I'm not totally sure, but since I was complete around the same date, there is some chance that I was reviewed in this batch as well. Also could just be typical overanalyzing, who knows :) ~

Of course I'm not totally sure, but since I was complete around the same date, there is some chance that I was reviewed in this batch as well. Also could just be typical overanalyzing, who knows :) ~

Hopefully not! I'm in the same boat man.

Does anyone know if they send via email or update the portal?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know if they send via email or update the portal?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Via email. I checked the portal this morning, and my status was still "complete and under review." Once I received the II email, my portal changed to have an interview tab

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing in early October trying to switch interview dates? Mine is currently for 9/16

Preferably someone who has an interview date for a Wednesday!

Got an II YAYYY super excited.
Application was complete 7/13

Reactions: 3 users
anyone know how receptive the adcoms are to the "additional info" tab?
my app is undergoing review and i want to update them about my 1st author manuscript acceptance before they make a decision on my app

anyone know how receptive the adcoms are to the "additional info" tab?
my app is undergoing review and i want to update them about my 1st author manuscript acceptance before they make a decision on my app

I mean it definitely doesn't hurt to try...

Did anyone find out if there are student hosts available? I emailed them to ask about it and never received a response.

II this morning, my first! complete 7/24. Earliest available dates are in the first week of Nov.

II this morning! (My first as well-- I am so excited! :)) The email came at 9:58 am CST, and I scheduled my interview about 10-15 minutes within receiving the email. The earliest dates I saw were Oct. 20th and Oct. 26th. I saw lots of open dates in November and December, so for those of you still waiting to hear back, more interviews are coming!!

Complete 8/2; LizzyM: 72-73.

Haven't heard back from the host program. I'm assuming that's a no.

Any ethics questions? Good cop/bad cop?
Neither. One open file one closed file. I think the specifics largely depend on your interviewer.

I also interviewed today, and I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed by the facilities, by the curriculum :thumbup::thumbup:, by the students, and by the faculty and staff. Everything within the school is new, modern, and beautiful. They did a very purposeful job with the architecture of creating an environment of collaboration and self-guided study. The dissection (structures) lab was gorgeous; the promotional video they had everyone in the room tearing up (guilty as charged); and the 'lecture' halls looked like they came out of a G20 summit.

I am a total dork and thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly, researched the school. I watched every Youtube video, read the student manual, talked on the phone with an MS4, and had a list of about 10-20 reasons in my head to answer "Why Hofstra?" in my interviews. They didn't ask those questions. As such, I think this interview is going to be hard to prepare for if you're a senior in college. I did fine in my interviews, but only because I've had real-world work experience over the last few years and have been through the interview gauntlet before--just from the perspective of a potential employee.

Tips:
1) You don't need to go crazy on researching the school like I did. They do a thorough job of explaining what they are all about and their curriculum during the morning info session.
2) Prepare for this interview more like a regular job interview than like a med school interview. What does that mean? Google search common interview questions for examples. You must have anecdotes of times when you've had to overcome obstacles, work as a team, etc.
3) Be nice! You'll be surprised about how enthusiastic and happy the students are about their school, so share in that enthusiasm. If you're the kind of person who walks with a frown all the time (you might not be conscious of it; ask other people if you are), turn that thing upside down for interview day.

Okay, I'm dozing off. But, I was very happy to have interviewed at the school and am sincerely hoping that I did well.

:clap:

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I interviewed this week as well. I feel like Hofstra's website really doesn't do the school justice. I was very impressed by everything that I saw, even the tearjerker documentary. I would be totally pleased to go here. The students and the interviewers seemed very laid back and were obviously intelligent.

I also interviewed today, and I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed by the facilities, by the curriculum :thumbup::thumbup:, by the students, and by the faculty and staff. Everything within the school is new, modern, and beautiful. They did a very purposeful job with the architecture of creating an environment of collaboration and self-guided study. The dissection (structures) lab was gorgeous; the promotional video they had everyone in the room tearing up (guilty as charged); and the 'lecture' halls looked like they came out of a G20 summit.

I am a total dork and thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly, researched the school. I watched every Youtube video, read the student manual, talked on the phone with an MS4, and had a list of about 10-20 reasons in my head to answer "Why Hofstra?" in my interviews. They didn't ask those questions. As such, I think this interview is going to be hard to prepare for if you're a senior in college. I did fine in my interviews, but only because I've had real-world work experience over the last few years and have been through the interview gauntlet before--just from the perspective of a potential employee.

Tips:
1) You don't need to go crazy on researching the school like I did. They do a thorough job of explaining what they are all about and their curriculum during the morning info session.
2) Prepare for this interview more like a regular job interview than like a med school interview. What does that mean? Google search common interview questions for examples. You must have anecdotes of times when you've had to overcome obstacles, work as a team, etc.
3) Be nice! You'll be surprised about how enthusiastic and happy the students are about their school, so share in that enthusiasm. If you're the kind of person who walks with a frown all the time (you might not be conscious of it; ask other people if you are), turn that thing upside down for interview day.

Okay, I'm dozing off. But, I was very happy to have interviewed at the school and am sincerely hoping that I did well.

:clap:

Thanks guys, I am really excited for my interview at the end of the month now :). Do you guys think you will end up going there if accepted?

I think it's very likely that I would go here. It's tied with one other school for my first pick. If I were admitted to both I'd attend the one that made the most financial sense.

II yesterday 3 pm! Complete August 19, LizzyM ~78

Hey everyone!

Current MS3 here. I figured I'd pop in and answer any questions you may have. I see that two other classes already have representation, which is great, but if you have any questions, let me know!

Good luck with the application cycle! You all will do awesome!

Reactions: 2 users
If I remember correctly from last year, they sent out a huge wave of rejections later on in the fall rather than sending them gradually throughout the cycle.

II today. Complete 8/4.

LizzyM 72.

any recent IIs?

i submitted on 8/22

Submitted 8/17. I really would love to interview at Hofstra, one of my top choices. I wonder if they have gotten to the mid august applications.

I'm guessing they probably went through most of the apps they received. Just a matter of picking who to invite for interview. My friend was complete late August and got a MD/PhD II two weeks ago. Granted MD/PhD process is a bit different and most people have eye popping stats/extracurricular activities, it's still a bit early for MD only. They start sending out rejections early to mid November.

Saw some MD/PhD applicants interviewing yesterday. All of you looked sharp and best of luck!

To people who interviewed/are interviewing: Where did you stay? It doesn't seem like the student host list is moving any time soon :(
*and if anyone is interviewing 10/13, wanna go splitsies on cab fare and other stuff?

To people who interviewed/are interviewing: Where did you stay? It doesn't seem like the student host list is moving any time soon :(
*and if anyone is interviewing 10/13, wanna go splitsies on cab fare and other stuff?
I went to Expedia and found the cheapest option that was still close by. I think it was called the Gateway Inn ($116/night). It was a clean, but outdated motel about 10-15min drive from the school. If you have more $$ to spend, there were nicer, closer hotels, but this place was good enough for me. It included a Continental breakfast, so I was able to get some coffee in my system before I had to talk to/meet anyone!

I stayed in an airbnb! Plus I think about two other people on my interview also stayed in an airbnb. Might be worth checking into. If you end up wanting to sign up message me and I'll give you a sign up code! I made the mistake of not doing this, you get like $35 of free credit

Was complete 8/26, no news....
Really want a freaking II