2016-2017 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • If you are currently not a matriculated student, please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now. (1,500 characters)
  • Please use this space to describe any challenge or obstacle you have faced prior to your application to medical school and how you addressed that challenge. (1500 Characters)
  • If your undergraduate education was interrupted for any reason and you were not enrolled in classes, please indicate the reasons, the duration of the interruption, and how you spent your time. This does not include time between programs post-graduation. (i think 1500 characters)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @HofstraMedStudent!

Can I ask what you like about the school that led you to matriculate? Or what you like/dislike in general? Students, faculty, programs, etc...

Edit: The webinar was really informative, it got me a lot more intrigued in the program! Glad I'm applying here.

Last edited:
I loved the info session yesterday! Very excited to apply here.

Just received and submitted secondary! Prompts same as last year:

• If you are currently not a matriculated student, please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now. (1,500 characters)
  • Please use this space to describe any challenge or obstacle you have faced prior to your application to medical school and how you addressed that challenge. (1500 Characters)
  • If your undergraduate education was interrupted for any reason and you were not enrolled in classes, please indicate the reasons, the duration of the interruption, and how you spent your time. This does not include time between programs post-graduation. (i think 1500 characters)
@WedgeDawg @Ismet

Reactions: 1 user
For the "If your undergraduate education..." question, the wording seems to exclude any gap year(s) between graduating and matriculation, and I'm taking one myself. So in my case I would leave this blank, right?

For the "If your undergraduate education..." question, the wording seems to exclude any gap year(s) between graduating and matriculation, and I'm taking one myself. So in my case I would leave this blank, right?
Correct. This is only talking about anything prior.

That challenge essay makes it sound like it wants a challenge you've faced in applyign to medical school (lack of resources, info, etc.). Do you guys think this is different form the standard write about a challenge and how you've overcome it essay?

That challenge essay makes it sound like it wants a challenge you've faced in applyign to medical school (lack of resources, info, etc.). Do you guys think this is different form the standard write about a challenge and how you've overcome it essay?
No, I think it's the generic challenge essay. Prior to applying != greatest challenge by or through applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a good secondary. Straight to the point.

How recent should the challenge be , any thoughts? Will something in high school or middle school work if that was the most significant challenge one has faced ?

How recent should the challenge be , any thoughts? Will something in high school or middle school work if that was the most significant challenge one has faced ?
I wrote about both my parents getting sick in high school and the challenges it raised, and how I (we) overcame it.

any idea when the next info session is going to roll around?

Got the "in review" email today. Which is a little strange since I thought they said they wait to give the "in review" status until your future MCAT scores are released? I have past MCAT scores but I indicated on AMCAS that I also took the June 2nd MCAT, which will have scores released tomorrow. Probably just an automated thing since I DO have MCAT scores in and then if they actually go to look at it they will see that my most recent MCAT scores haven't been released yet.

I guess they are still waiting on my info from AMCAS, which I find odd. I submitted the secondary yesterday and have been verified since mid-June.

I guess they are still waiting on my info from AMCAS, which I find odd. I submitted the secondary yesterday and have been verified since mid-June.
Probably letters. Give 'em couple days

Well yeah if you just submitted the secondary yesterday don't be surprised if it takes at least a couple days to get the "in review" status..

Hey guys! Do you think for the "any obstacle or challenge" essay, it would be appropriate to talk about challenges I had with taking the MCAT the first time, and how I addressed those challenges in improving my score the second time? I think the general consensus is to not talk about MCAT for a school's challenges essay, but the wording of this prompt made me think it might be appropriate here (I was also thinking this since don't have an additional comments section for me to address this issue). Thanks!

Hey guys! Do you think for the "any obstacle or challenge" essay, it would be appropriate to talk about challenges I had with taking the MCAT the first time, and how I addressed those challenges in improving my score the second time? I think the general consensus is to not talk about MCAT for a school's challenges essay, but the wording of this prompt made me think it might be appropriate here (I was also thinking this since don't have an additional comments section for me to address this issue). Thanks!
On another secondary, they specifically asked NOT to write about MCAT or academic challenges, so I personally would steer clear. Up to you though, if you feel that that essay fully represents you, then by all means.

Waitlisted here last cycle with no luck, complete as of 7/5 this cycle and hoping for a better outcome!

From last year's thread, the earliest IIs were around 7/30. The FAQ on the website says this: "Invitations to interview are extended from August through January. They are sent by email, so we urge you to keep your email address up to date with AMCAS."
Thanks!

Does anyone this think that II will be released soon? Last year was July 30.

II! First of the season and beyond excited!! SS 7/13.

II! Boo-ya!

II! Really excited!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Darn, didnt get one. Complete 7.4

I was complete 7.19 didn't get one. Does anyone know if Hofstra sends II's continuously? As in, is there a chance they send a batch today as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users