2015-16 PM&R Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
matched in an advanced program in main match, but no pgy1. Can anyone give some advises what should i do? any other ways to secure a pgy1 after the match? Thanks a lot.

Congrats on the advanced match. You need to contact your dean and advisors of your medical school. It is now no longer a match violation to contact your advanced program. I probably would. It's not the best first impression, so I would contact the PC to get a feel for how to approach the topic with the PD. There is an outside chance that your PD may be able to help...so may be a useful strategy.

If you are a DO...there are likely a handful of PGY-1s in the AOA still available.

If you are an MD...the SOAP is over and I'd be surprised if there are any openings. Things fall through every year with people about to start PGY-1. People get sick or pregnant and need a leave of absence, or more commonly there is a VISA issue that occurs. If your med school cares about your own well being, they should help you try to pick up one of those types of spots if one arises. There is always the possibility that a spot could be opened after the match for you by someone who has a stake in your success...your med school affiliated hospital or advanced program.

If you are an IMG...I wish you the best of luck. It is going to be very difficult to pick up an opening. Residencyswap.org is rarely useful, but there have been people who have spots this way.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Matched RIC Categorical! Beyond thrilled!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched at Columbia/Cornell-NYP! Very excited. :]

Thanks to everyone on this thread who made this unbearable process less painful!

Reactions: 5 users
Matched TY year then UT Southwestern Dallas advanced!! Very excited. Congrats to everyone and welcome all to the world of physiatry!

Reactions: 5 users
Matched Indiana University! Yessssss!

Reactions: 4 users
Matched to a TY spot this year but not PM&R... does anyone have advice as to going about keeping a finger on the pulse of possible advanced positions opening up? Thanks!

Matched Categorical at the University of Minnesota! Thanks to everyone on this thread for all the advice and help through this process! Best of luck to everyone moving forward and to all my future colleagues!

Reactions: 6 users
Matched to UVA categorical!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone! Did anyone else match to DMC-RIM advanced? Looking forward to meeting my future fellow residents :)

Reactions: 1 user
Matched to NYU and also looking forward to meeting future co-residents!! Congrats to all :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just saw that UAB and Michigan had unmatched spots this year. That is crazy. I visited both and they were excellent programs. Wonder what happened. Given quite a few people who didn't match, it's hard to believe.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just saw that UAB and Michigan had unmatched spots this year. That is crazy. I visited both and they were excellent programs. Wonder what happened. Given quite a few people who didn't match, it's hard to believe.
I think it might be because the applicant pool was so good this year. I had to SOAP for a prelim and was told that the programs ranked very good applicants and the better the applicants the more likely they had more options to choose from. It was super hard to find a prelim spot so I am guessing a lot of people had to SOAP this year. The other theory I have heard is programs hold out for SOAP in hopes of getting better applicants such as rejects from orthopedic surgery or emergency medicine or some other competitive specialty. I am sure those spots got grabbed in the first round of SOAP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have a feeling that UMich might not have interviewed enough people or something. Interview dates only started Dec 4 and I was the last day on the 18th with only 3 interviewees that day. I ranked them in my top 3 so it's also very surprising to me.

That's too bad. They also sent out invites really late. I meet lots of good people on the interview trail who cancelled them because they already had too many scheduled. Programs that invite early and offer early interview dates definitely have an advantage.

Still U Mich is very good problem. Anyone who SOAPs in is super lucky.

I think it might be because the applicant pool was so good this year. I had to SOAP for a prelim and was told that the programs ranked very good applicants and the better the applicants the more likely they had more options to choose from. It was super hard to find a prelim spot so I am guessing a lot of people had to SOAP this year. The other theory I have heard is programs hold out for SOAP in hopes of getting better applicants such as rejects from orthopedic surgery or emergency medicine or some other competitive specialty. I am sure those spots got grabbed in the first round of SOAP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Other than UMich and UAB, which other programs had open spots?

NRMP has the full list for all the programs. I read just a few pages. If you are curious, I'm sure you can find out every program that didn't fill.

NRMP has the full list for all the programs. I read just a few pages. If you are curious, I'm sure you can find out every program that didn't fill.

I'm already a resident, so I obviously was not in the match, and therefore dn't have access to the list, reason why I asked. It's way past SOAP so no violation of any kind. I'm also obviously just asking about PMR not every program that did not fill in other specialties.

Someone posted this over on the anesthesia forum. Should be fine to distribute since SOAP is over.

Attachments

• Main Match Program Results 2016.pdf
    217.4 KB · Views: 333
Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to give hope to those of you applying this next year that have red flags, whether it be poor scores or whatever. For anonymity I'm going to stay vague, but my experience this past cycle was a whirlwind ride: I applied to this field with a big red flag, and was told not to hold my breath so I also applied to another specialty as backup. I applied to every PM&R program.. Every single one. I got 6 invites to interview in this field, and Im pretty sure some were just courtesy interviews from the aways I did. Only 1 prelim invite. Practiced my butt off to nail the interviews, and feel like I did. Ended up fully matched at a program I couldn't be more excited about! Hang in there if you're starting interview season behind the eight ball, and know that it's possible with the right motivation.. But always have a backup plan just in case!!

Just wanted to give hope to those of you applying this next year that have red flags, whether it be poor scores or whatever. For anonymity I'm going to stay vague, but my experience this past cycle was a whirlwind ride: I applied to this field with a big red flag, and was told not to hold my breath so I also applied to another specialty as backup. I applied to every PM&R program.. Every single one. I got 6 invites to interview in this field, and Im pretty sure some were just courtesy interviews from the aways I did. Only 1 prelim invite. Practiced my butt off to nail the interviews, and feel like I did. Ended up fully matched at a program I couldn't be more excited about! Hang in there if you're starting interview season behind the eight ball, and know that it's possible with the right motivation.. But always have a backup plan just in case!!

You had a good plan going in, and you are now reaping the reward.

Your scores get you the invites...your interview gets you the ranking. Well done, Sir.