2014-2015 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know just how strict they are on LORs? I'm missing one UG science prof letter that they request according to the website and I don't know if I can substitute it for another letter from a graduate prof or physician?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know just how strict they are on LORs? I'm missing one UG science prof letter that they request according to the website and I don't know if I can substitute it for another letter from a graduate prof or physician?

I would try giving them a call. Seemed to work for people last cycle that had LOR questions

Hi guys, Im interested in applying to NYMC, can anyone tell me a little bit more about the school? Ie how good is the school? how is the teaching faculty, resources available, clinics etc.?

Thanks!
3.7GPA, OOS, 34 MCAT

I'm applying here this cycle. I'm really excited about this school! Are there any current medical students willing to dish out some secondary/interview advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never been to NY before, but I'm hoping to get an interview!

Can someone please post the essay prompts/character limits for the secondary? I'm sure everyone would appreciate it! Thank you in advance

I'm pretty sure that there are no essays for NYMC secondary

Reactions: 1 users
I really like the location of NYMC. My significant other works in Stamford, CT and we were hoping to keep living together next year. NYMC is only 20 minutes away making it a GREAT location. However, the more I look into NYMC, the less I seem to like this school. It could also be because the school of medicine website is horrible and has little information. Could any current med students comment on what drew them to NYMC/ what they really like about the school? I really want to love the place. Is there anything NYMC has to offer that other schools don't? How does the school handle such a large class (around 200 students each year, if I remember correctly)? How is the curriculum structure? Are the faculty and staff supportive? Are there any resources for studying for the USMLEs?

thank you in advance for any input!!

I really like the location of NYMC. My significant other works in Stamford, CT and we were hoping to keep living together next year. NYMC is only 20 minutes away making it a GREAT location. However, the more I look into NYMC, the less I seem to like this school. It could also be because the school of medicine website is horrible and has little information. Could any current med students comment on what drew them to NYMC/ what they really like about the school? I really want to love the place. Is there anything NYMC has to offer that other schools don't? How does the school handle such a large class (around 200 students each year, if I remember correctly)? How is the curriculum structure? Are the faculty and staff supportive? Are there any resources for studying for the USMLEs?

thank you in advance for any input!!
+2 :(

Secondary received. No essays all biographical info takes 2 minutes and costs 120.

Secondary received. No essays all biographical info takes 2 minutes and costs 120.
I felt a sharp pain when I read "and costs 120" :(

Reactions: 5 users
I felt a sharp pain when I read "and costs 120" :(

I wonder how accepting they are ... I mean no essays quick secondary .. wonder if they just want your money.

Just submitted it oh well here goes nothing.

Applying OOS; my application just got processed today, but I don't hear about my MCAT scores till the 15th or earlier... guess we'll see.

No secondary yet but not complaining, I'm drowning in them!

Reactions: 2 users
Any word about how strict they are about the letter from the department you majored in?

hey for those of you that submitted the secondary, and checked your status on their website, does it say that you've actually submitted your secondary? cause mine just says

A unique LOGIN ID and PASSWORD was sent to the email address listed on your AMCAS application in order for you to complete the NYMC Secondary Application.

even though i pressed submit and everything

EDIT: NEVER MIND. the title of the status page says secondary completed hahaha

hey for those of you that submitted the secondary, and checked your status on their website, does it say that you've actually submitted your secondary? cause mine just says

A unique LOGIN ID and PASSWORD was sent to the email address listed on your AMCAS application in order for you to complete the NYMC Secondary Application.

even though i pressed submit and everything

EDIT: NEVER MIND. the title of the status page says secondary completed hahaha

When did you receive the secondary? Did anyone else?
I was verified the first day and have above avg stats....

I received the secondary last night, around 10 pm-- also verified the first day. I think it's just coming out in random batches, I'm sure you will get it soon!

I received the secondary last night, around 10 pm-- also verified the first day. I think it's just coming out in random batches, I'm sure you will get it soon!

Thanks! that's so funny that they sent it last night, it being a holiday and all...

Thanks! that's so funny that they sent it last night, it being a holiday and all...
It is in all likelihood an automated system that sends out groups of apps every few hours or so.

It is in all likelihood an automated system that sends out groups of apps every few hours or so.

Lol yeah probably. Honestly I don't mind it not being here yet. I work full time and also didn't pre-write because I was an idiot and paying the price now. Bah. Oh well. Trying to finish the batch I have now before next week's batch comes in...

I received the secondary July 2nd and I just submitted my app on July 1st so they are definitely just sending it out in random batches because I'm not even verified yet.

Lol yeah probably. Honestly I don't mind it not being here yet. I work full time and also didn't pre-write because I was an idiot and paying the price now. Bah. Oh well. Trying to finish the batch I have now before next week's batch comes in...
Well good news is NYMC doesn't have any essays on their secondary so this will be an easy one for you!

Where's my secondary? I want it! I want it! I want it! Pant...... Pant... Pant........

Hi everyone. I am an incoming MS-1 (in wow 1 month from now). So while I can't help you so much now about being a student there I will try to check back in during the semester. I actually received a very late interview (5/8) and accepted next day so while it is n=1, know that it is possible even late in the game. Any other questions feel free to PM me, otherwise good luck everyone!

Hi everyone. I am an incoming MS-1 (in wow 1 month from now). So while I can't help you so much now about being a student there I will try to check back in during the semester. I actually received a very late interview (5/8) and accepted next day so while it is n=1, know that it is possible even late in the game. Any other questions feel free to PM me, otherwise good luck everyone!

congrats on your acceptance! it gives me hope!

secondary today! Verified 6/6

Just received a secondary today. I'm a little bit confused about their letter requirements. Do I enter in my committee letter for both my undergrad and graduate committee letters?

Anyone that submitted a secondary .. when you check the status of the application online .. does it only say that a unique login and password was sent not that it was processed yet? debating whether to call

still waiting for secondary :(

Reactions: 5 users
also waiting

Reactions: 2 users
According to MSAR they send secondaries to all applicants... Of course they do:rolleyes:
i got the secondary yesterday, submitted it 20 minutes later
AMCAS didn't even get my transcript until this morning (FINALLY ready for review 7/8...sigh), so definitely no screenings lolz

If you're using FAP to waive the secondary fee are you able to actually submit the secondary right away? Or do you have to wait for them to process your email notifying them that you're using that as your payment? I'm not seeing an option to submit on the payment page, but I already emailed them