2014-15 PM&R Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if there was anyone who had a VCU interview on Jan 16th and be willing to swap for my interview date on Jan 9th. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Invite from Tufts today. Same 3 dates as people were posting earlier (dec 6, dec 12, jan 10)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is nothing the night before. The interview day is very typical. I think it starts at 8, you have a presentation with the PD, and then 3, 30 minute interviews 2 with attendings, 1 with resident. Lunch is scattered between your interviews, and then you go on a tour. I think we were done around 2.

Thanks so much Runderwoman! Appreciate it.

OSU rejection. PC confirmed they had record number of applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know the interview dates for:
-Medical College of Wisconsin
-UC Irvine
-MSU
-Toledo

Thanks.

Does anyone know the interview dates for:
-Medical College of Wisconsin
-UC Irvine
-MSU
-Toledo

Thanks.

These are the dates I got from the coordinator for UC Irvine in mid November:

Monday, December 1, 2014
Monday, December 8, 2014
Monday, December 15, 2014
Monday, January 12, 2015

Interview dates for MSU:
December 1, 2014
December 8, 2014
December 15, 2013
January 12, 2015

Note: 1 spot for MD match, 2 spots for DO match

I just got rejected by Miami for a second time.

I just got an invite from Mayo. How? I timely email to the PC explaining my interest in the program and to please let me know if anything opens up. Unfortunately I have to cancel one of my other interviews to make it happen...I feel bad about that...but I don't think you can pass up on a program like Mayo.

To j4pac...how often would you email to the PC expressing your interest in a program? I emailed some programs last month. Some programs emailed me back and updated my status. Some have NEVER replied my email. I am not sure if my application is still in review, wait-listed, or rejected ? Should I call them, send another email, or just wait?

To j4pac...how often would you email to the PC expressing your interest in a program? I emailed some programs last month. Some programs emailed me back and updated my status. Some have NEVER replied my email. I am not sure if my application is still in review, wait-listed, or rejected ? Should I call them, send another email, or just wait?

Programs seemingly offer interviews by two methods: 1) looking at all applications and having a preliminary ranking, and send out invites to their highest ranked applicants; 2) issuing interviews to qualified applicants as they come across the applications.

Mayo apparently, and thankfully, falls under the second category. The PC told me that I was apart of a select group of applicants which the program would have liked to invite but there were just too many applicants this cycle. Essentially they handed out all their interviews before they got to my file.

It is so late in the cycle that at this point programs have handed out all of their interviews. Really the only way that you get an interview at this point is 1) being very high on a program's waitlist (best of luck with that), or 2) inquiring.

If a program has a cancellation, especially on short notice and you meet their inclusion criteria...then why wouldn't a program allow you to interview? With short notice cancellations, most programs aren't going to go out of their way sending out invites, because it really isn't worth the time investment. It is up to YOU to get the spot. I love Mayo...it was my #1 choice going into this process...so I let them know I was interested. I only did it once...and I did it with a first polite, succinct email to the PC. The PC was fortunately very helpful and she got right back to me asking if I could be there in a few days.

If you really wanted to strategize to get an interview by a program that you have not yet been rejected by...this is what I would do (please not that this was not my strategy...I was incredibly lucky/blessed with the timing of my email):
1) I would email the PC explaining your interest in their program and that you would be honored to fill a seat if one becomes available. 2) I would know the interview days available to that program. I would email the program a week in advance before the interview day inquiring about opening (lots of this information could be found on page 9 of this thread). If you are nice enough, there is an opening, and the PC is willing...you might just stand a chance.

Thanks j4pac. I will follow your advice. One program told me yesterday that my application is still in review. They received a lot of applications this year so the review committee is falling behind schedule. I guess I should focus on my interviews now, keep my finger crossed and hope for more invites.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who applied to "physician only" spots, where have you been offered interviews? Any of the Texas programs?

For those of you who applied to "physician only" spots, where have you been offered interviews? Any of the Texas programs?

I would recommend PMing PMR_doc and montyp. Those are the two SDN members who have enquired about "physician only" spots this season.

I have been offered invitations only by Loyola and Case Western. The Case Western one fell through though because the resident that was going to leave decided to stay. So I will be interviewing there for a regular spot now instead.

Can anyone tell me what the interview day at Kessler is like? Specifically the length of the day? Thanks!

Hello friends,

So I have a long winded story, and I'm in desperate need of some advice. I'm an MD candidate at a US med school. 217 on step 1, 223 on step 2. Had some pretty serious personal issues and ended up failing CS, I'm taking it again on Jan 26th. I applied to EM programs earlier this year (sept 29th), but over the past few months, I've decided that I wanted to go into PM&R based on an awesome rotation. I applied to 46 PM&R programs and 10 Prelim programs on 12/5. I'm super worried that all spots are filled, plus this whole step 2 cs business, plus I have two bad grades my 1st and 2nd year, which resulted in a probation. Based on my two dings (probation + cs), what do you guys think my chances of matching in PM&R are?

Please help!

Hello friends,

So I have a long winded story, and I'm in desperate need of some advice. I'm an MD candidate at a US med school. 217 on step 1, 223 on step 2. Had some pretty serious personal issues and ended up failing CS, I'm taking it again on Jan 26th. I applied to EM programs earlier this year (sept 29th), but over the past few months, I've decided that I wanted to go into PM&R based on an awesome rotation. I applied to 46 PM&R programs and 10 Prelim programs on 12/5. I'm super worried that all spots are filled, plus this whole step 2 cs business, plus I have two bad grades my 1st and 2nd year, which resulted in a probation. Based on my two dings (probation + cs), what do you guys think my chances of matching in PM&R are?

Please help!

You have an uphill battle...and your grades are really a lesser concern as when you applied. PM&R is incredibly competitive this year and most of the interview spots were filled by the time you applied. Have you received any invites? If you haven't, you probably have a low likelihood of getting more than 2 the rest of the way. Last year the statistics showed that people who went on 10 interviews had a 90% chances of matching. I am pretty sure that it will take 11-12 interviews to get the same percentage of matching this season. The probability of Soaping into PM&R is pretty close to 0%...if not 0%.

To have any chance of getting invites this season...if you haven't received any yet...you have to send emails to the program coordinators requesting a status request. I would also throw in that you are very interested in their program and to let you know if any opening in their schedules arise.
You need to start building your resume for next year. Good luck, nonetheless.

Last edited:
You have an uphill battle...and your grades are really a lesser concern as when you applied. PM&R is incredibly competitive this year and most of the interview spots were filled by the time you applied. Have you received any invites? If you haven't, you probably have a low likelihood of getting more than 2 the rest of the way. Last year the statistics showed that people who went on 10 interviews had a 90% chances of matching. I am pretty sure that it will take 11-12 interviews to get the same percentage of matching this season. The probability of Soaping into PM&R is pretty close to 0%...if not 0%.

To have any chance of getting invites this season...if you haven't received any yet...you have to send emails to the program coordinators requesting a status request. I would also throw in that you are very interested in their program and to let you know if any opening in their schedules arise.

So what if I do my prelim year next year? Would I be able to match next year and start the PM&R residency right after prelim? I'm not sure how that works. How would you suggest I build my resume? I have a friend who was thinking about doing a research year, but I'm not sure how to go about looking for that.

Also, what are your thoughts on how my failed CS attempt will affect my matching process now / in the future?

So what if I do my prelim year next year? Would I be able to match next year and start the PM&R residency right after prelim? I'm not sure how that works. How would you suggest I build my resume? I have a friend who was thinking about doing a research year, but I'm not sure how to go about looking for that.

There are three options of applying for PM&R: categorical, advanced, and "physician-only". Categorical which consists of about a third of the programs are 4-year programs. Advanced which consists of the other two-thirds are 3-year programs. You have to do a preliminary year before advanced programs. The "physician-only" spots are for applicants looking to fill a PGY-2 the next year (as in they have already completed an internship).

It is a tough decision...so I would get as many opinions as possible.

I think if I were in your position and I was 100% certain that I wanted to do PM&R and was willing to make sacrifices to get into PM&R...I would take the gap year.

Something that you have to realize is that you apply to categorical and "physician-only" programs the year of and advanced programs two years in advance. So if you do a prelim year this upcoming year without matching to PM&R this year...here will be your options for applying next year:
1) Apply categorical but if accepted would have to REPEAT your internship.
2) Apply physician-only and if accept...awesome...you slip in as a PGY-2. The problem is that there are less than 10 spots per year...and incredibly competitive.
3) Apply advanced and if accepted would have to take an additional gap year because it won't start until two years from then.

I would do research along with doing a few PM&R rotations. Try to get publications/case reports/posterboard presentations. I would do a few audition rotations for some of the PM&R programs that interest you but aren't gunner programs. After match day send me a message and I will give you a spreadsheet I created with tons of program information.

You have average scores...and the failed CS...so you will need to overcome with elite recommendations, an elite PS, and research/volunteer work. Many programs give invites to all applicants that do audition rotations...so that is an opportunity for you. I think that you have a chance to match next year...but you need to open a few doors with audition rotations and you need to apply broadly. Save your money now and apply to every one of them next year. There will be some programs which will reject you because of the failed CS...but I doubt that everyone of them will. But there is no way to tell which ones will and will not. And most importantly...you need to get the applications sent out early on opening day.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what the interview day at Kessler is like? Specifically the length of the day? Thanks!

Hey, the interview day goes from 8AM to 1PM and then you can leave right after lunch with the residents. There is nothing the night before.

Also, what are your thoughts on how my failed CS attempt will affect my matching process now / in the future?

Hey, sorry to hear about your situation. I agree with J4pac that extending by a year is really your only option. I would not take a gap year(meaning not enrolled) if you have the option to extend (ie be a medical student at your school for one more year). I don't know where where youre in school but at a lot of MD programs it is really common to take a 5th year to do something productive. Be prepared to explain it on your interviews. I think it is ok that you found PM&R late and to say that. I agree that your chances of matching PMR this year are very slim to none (sorry) but not so for next year if you do more rotations and research etc. I think if you retake CS and pass most programs would be willing to overlook that black mark along with the poor grades. Again, this year maybe not because you wont even have the score back when the rank lists are due. I would prepare in all ways for the worst and maybe the gods will align and you will match this year. Good luck!

RD2015...you bring up a good point that I didn't consider. Extending medical school may be a better option...and it may look better on paper than a gap year.

But something for the OP to consider:
-the costs associated with a medical school are substantial. Tack on an additional $50-100k.
-loan repayment will likely start after about 3-6 months (I honestly don't remember the exact timing) while being out of training. So either way, extension or gap, you will have to start loan repayment. You can do income based repayment...but that will still be a couple hundred per month. You will need some sort of income, either through loans or work.
-you have to get the permission of your school. I would go to your clinic dean and discuss your options.

Has anyone interviewed at Marianjoy? I heard the residency director was stepping down and there's no decision on who's going to replace him.

I'm actually the associate Program director at MJ. Dr. Rao is the residency director and he is not stepping down from his role at residency director. His clinical role is changing however as he is stepping from his position as Vice president of medical affairs.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm actually the associate Program director at MJ. Dr. Rao is the residency director and he is not stepping down from his role at residency director. His clinical role is changing however as he is stepping from his position as Vice president of medical affairs.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the answer. I guess you can't believe everything you hear on the interview trail.

NRH Georgetown just sent me an email saying they are done with the application season. I was one of the previous folks on LIMBO.

I didn't match Walter Reed...apparently Navy didn't open a slot again this year. It was expected and I think that all of us Navy PM&R guys are seeing the writing on the wall. Civilian workforce here I come!

If Match.com has taught me anything: because it's worse to just not reply than send a rejection. They're doing you a favor.

If Match.com has taught me anything: because it's worse to just not reply than send a rejection. They're doing you a favor.

Match.com taught me that 8=5

I see many people speak about being on a wait list. There is a long wait list at my program. There are also no shows that occur on interview day. So, applicants, please be courteous to your fellow applicants and cancel as soon as you know you are not coming. Others would greatly appreciate it. Even if it is the day before!

I received the nicest rejection of the season yesterday from Miss Sue Abrahms at MCW.

As we here in the Department of PM&R at the Medical College of Wisconsin complete our final interviews, we want to wish you Happy Holidays and the best of luck in the future.

Kind regards,

Sue Abrahms

With the interview season coming to a close...if anyone would like to chat Rank order lists off-line, PM me.

Has anyone received an email or other correspondence indicating how strong of a candidate you are and how you will be ranked?

Has anyone received an email or other correspondence indicating how strong of a candidate you are and how you will be ranked?

I think that most programs are pretty smart about match violations. I have been don't by a few program directors that I will be "ranked highly". But I don't know if that is just a line. I have not received emails from any PDs after the fact. I don't blame them...because that is a written record of a possible match violation.

If you haven't received a reply from a PD...absolutely no sweat...I believe that is to be expected.

NYU trade partners needed:
NYU: Have January 16th; Need January 23 or January 30

Message me if we can make a trade. Thanks!

Last edited:
Is anyone interviewing on 1/16/15 at Baylor Houston and want to share a ride/car/hotel?

Just got a Temple interview. LOL. I thought that the season was over. I declined.

BTW...just got waitlisted by a program for a specific date by enquiring...AGAIN. Make it funny and DON'T ASK FOR YOUR STATUS! You are rejected...that's your status. UNREJECT yourself by expressing interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I feel like Cartman of South Park on the episode "Go God Go". Cartman can't wait 3 weeks until Nintendo Wii comes out. His obsession over the device and his lack of patience results in him freezing himself in hopes of thawing himself on the release day of Nintendo Wii. Of course Butters forgets to thaw him, and he gets thawed centuries later. He then is able to acquire the now ancient device, but the televisions don't have the correct ports.

Reactions: 2 users
did anyone else Who did not interview with u of u get a message an email from University of Utah stating how to rank their categorical and preliminary positions?

did anyone else Who did not interview with u of u get a message an email from University of Utah stating how to rank their categorical and preliminary positions?

That is interesting. I got their email as well, but I had an interview with them. So you didn't have an interview with them and still got the email ? Did you get their interview invitation or you just applied there ?

Sorry, I am confused. Did you mean PM&R residency interview or preliminary IM interview?

this was the email I received: I applied, did not receive an invite to interview. This is for the PMR residency

"In the NRMP we are listed with two numbers.

3 Year Advanced Match Program: 1732340A0 (if you apply for this, you will need to rank prelim programs to correspond for that first year of training)

4 Year Categorical Program: 1732340C0

Our Internal Medicine Department will also submit a Prelim rank order list with our applicant names (even if you did not interview with them). That way you have a chance to match with our 3 year program and the Internal Medicine Prelim Program to be here for the full 4 years if you desire.

Their Prelim NRMP Code is: 1732140P0

I got the same email but I cancelled my interview after originally accepting their invite. They seemed so on top of their ish prior to this. Funny how much weight I'm putting into the program coordinators' communications and general "withitness"