2013-2014 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, if I'm on a waitlist and planning to submit the new AMCAS on June 3 (not risking ANY delays after applying late this past cycle), do I have to send an email to withdraw my position on waitlist prior to submission or does it automatically withdraw me with reapplication?
You will not be withdrawn from waitlists nor do you have to withdraw to resubmit to AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad.

When i re-applied, I was not automatically withdrawn, and did not withdraw myself. I think i was still under consideration, and received my final rejections after many of my re-apps were complete.

Not sure if the policy may be based on the individual school.

I didn't think being on waitlist delayed submission of your application next cycle. I'm pretty sure you can submit your amcas 2015 app in june and still be on waitlist. Unless you're sure you wouldn't go to the school even if you got off the waitlist, I don't think there's any reason to withdraw from the waitlist.

You will not be withdrawn from waitlists nor do you have to withdraw to resubmit to AMCAS.

Thanks everyone for the super fast responses!!

The wait list I'm on isn't moving and its already May 20th. Its the only wait list position I have. I think its safe to say I'm PANICKING!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The wait list I'm on isn't moving and its already May 20th. Its the only wait list position I have. I think its safe to say I'm PANICKING!!

The schools I'm on wait list for haven't moved yet either.

Reactions: 1 user
Got my first acceptance! Crossing my fingers for the rest of you. :cat::)

Reactions: 8 users
Both of mine are moving without me.

Same here. Seeing the WL movement in the school-specific threads makes me sad especially since I was really hoping that this cycle would work out (2nd time application with a 4.0/37). Really down right now since I'm not sure if I can handle re-taking the MCAT (now expired) and re-applying again.

Same here. Seeing the WL movement in the school-specific threads makes me sad especially since I was really hoping that this cycle would work out (2nd time application with a 4.0/37). Really down right now since I'm not sure if I can handle re-taking the MCAT (now expired) and re-applying again.

How does that even happen... :wow:

How does that even happen... :wow:

My first app was really a disaster because I did't fully know all I needed to. My app was in VERY late - verified late Oct. I was also applying VERY top-heavy and with very little clinical exp (I am also applying from Canada).

Second time... I'm not sure. Sure, I may not have the most amazing ECs or interview skill. Perhaps school list was still bad (I definitely should have omitted ~5-7 schools that were simply donations like some UCs, etc).

Dude/dudette I hear you.

About to reapply, but my 2012 score is starting to expire. I want to hold off a year, but then that means taking the new MCAT, which means intense studying because I've been out of school for 2 years now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude/dudette I hear you.

About to reapply, but my 2012 score is starting to expire. I want to hold off a year, but then that means taking the new MCAT, which means intense studying because I've been out of school for 2 years now.
In the spring of 2015 the old MCAT will still be available. But I totally feel for you. It sucks to be in that predicament and I'm totally sending good energy your way.

Dude/dudette I hear you.

I hear ya. I think I would hold off until 2015 cycle. Re-applying again now will probably not do me any good. The old MCAT is available until January next year. You can definitely still make the old MCAT! Wish you the best of luck.

I have been thinking:
Option 1:
- get some advice from my boss at work (physician)
- if reapplying, re-take MCAT this Aug (gives me 2mo Jun+Jul to study)
- Sept-next Jun: work + activities to boost my app CV.

Option 2:
- quit (pre)-medicine.
- ???
- ???

I can't afford the new MCAT or I would attempt round 4.

We are on the same WLs :(

Looks like we'll have to wait for MCG to move since chances at Mercer are slime to none.

And they have been moving for a week now. Just like last year with MCG... this year they won't even confirm that they got the letter from an international school of mine confirming that they don't give out transcripts so I have my yeshiva listed as missing. Sigh.

With how many times I have applied to them and how many problems I have had on their website, they should just accept me.

In the spring of 2015 the old MCAT will still be available. But I totally feel for you. It sucks to be in that predicament and I'm totally sending good energy your way.

just to clarify..the old MCAT will be available until January 2015. in the spring, the new version will be administered

edit: oops masaraksh said that already!

Anyone have any good news today?

I learned yesterday that some one is holding acceptances at BOTH schools where I am waitlisted. Traffic rules be damned apparently. :/

Anyone have any good news today?

I learned yesterday that some one is holding acceptances at BOTH schools where I am waitlisted. Traffic rules be damned apparently. :/
I wonder how common it is for applicants to ignore the traffic rules, regardless of whether their reason is legitimate (IE requesting FinAid estimate) or not (IE just because).

I wonder how common it is for applicants to ignore the traffic rules, regardless of whether their reason is legitimate (IE requesting FinAid estimate) or not (IE just because).

Well at least one of the schools isn't giving aid estimates for another 2 weeks or so.

Schools can demand an answer or pull the spot. Where is the justice in this world?

You better believe that I would have listened to the traffic rules. I would not have wanted to risk LOSING a spot.

I thought it was okay to hold multiple acceptances after May 15th, as long as you had previously dropped all but one acceptance on that deadline.

I.e. applicant has 10 acceptances on May 14th, declares for 1 school on May 15th, but then receives offers from the waitlist on May 16th. Consequently, he's holding 2 offers after May 15th, but has a short window to make a decision (two weeks or whatever).

I can't believe I just discovered this thread.

Sitting on 2 waitlists... 0 acceptances... preparing for reapplication for this upcoming cycle. I just want to keep telling myself that I should wait before working on reapplication but I know the date for the first submission is approaching.... :\

I thought it was okay to hold multiple acceptances after May 15th, as long as you had previously dropped all but one acceptance on that deadline.

I.e. applicant has 10 acceptances on May 14th, declares for 1 school on May 15th, but then receives offers from the waitlist on May 16th. Consequently, he's holding 2 offers after May 15th, but has a short window to make a decision (two weeks or whatever).
Yeah, that is how it works. I was more wondering about applicants who drop all but 2 acceptances by May 15th, and then let the schools know they are having a tough time deciding due for X reason, and the schools oblige and say "Ok go ahead and hold onto both acceptances, but let us know a final decision within 2 days of X reason being resolved."

This person was holding before the deadline and one of the schools only allows you to have one week to make a decision. (Although according to the email I was sent it was 24 hours)

Yeah, that is how it works. I was more wondering about applicants who drop all but 2 acceptances by May 15th, and then let the schools know they are having a tough time deciding due for X reason, and the schools oblige and say "Ok go ahead and hold onto both acceptances, but let us know a final decision within 2 days of X reason being resolved."

Oh, I didn't even think of that. It makes sense that there is no hard mechanism in place to forcibly drop an applicant's acceptances!

I'm losing my mind.
My Kaplan MCAT books are nestled nicely on the floor, collecting dust, calling my name, beckoning me to re-study all their material again.

Where's all the good news at?? Let the humblebraggers emerge. Share your good fortune; I need some optimism.

2 Waitlists, one pending decision. my nerves, my nerves.

I know how you feel. I have a hard time sleeping at night because I can't stop thinking about it.

Yep, Im in the same boat. Although I'm working close to 10 hrs a day so I'm too tired to spend too much time thinking about it at night.

Yep, Im in the same boat. Although I'm working close to 10 hrs a day so I'm too tired to spend too much time thinking about it at night.
I'm the president of the 'too exhausted from a long day of work to think about my wait list situation' club. I haven't yet decided whether this is a good or a bad thing.

And I'm the chairman and CEO of the 'I finally have a day off, so I think I'll spend my free hours over-analyzing my future/over-thinking my past shortcomings/calculating whether I can financially afford another application cycle' club. I haven't yet decided whether being at home, or being at work sucks more.

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS, YET SO LITTLE ANSWERS.

Reactions: 9 users
waiting on 3 still...thought I would have heard by now. :/ panic!

Had an acceptance before May 15th

Get accepted off waitlist after May 15th.

How long can I hold on to both acceptances for?

Is this a rule of thumb / something that most schools just happen to do / a courtesy to other waitlisters? or is it an AMCAS rule?
It is a recommended time frame from AMCAS that is generally used between May 15th until early June. After that, the interval offer by the new school is usually shorter, in the range of 2 to 5 business days.

A little off topic, but just wanted to say thank you to gyngyn for all your help on this thread (especially the last week or so).

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
For those who are thinking of reapplying this cycle and who are sitting on waitlists - when do you guys plan on actually starting the process?

For those who are thinking of reapplying this cycle and who are sitting on waitlists - when do you guys plan on actually starting the process?

I'm on 5 waitlists right now...Everything but the work/activities section carried over from last year, and I've been working on my application a little each day. My pre-health advisor from undergrad said I should submit by July 4th and it will still be on the early side. I was thinking I might just submit to one school as soon as it's ready so at least it will be verified. I can always add more schools later.

I'm on 5 waitlists right now...Everything but the work/activities section carried over from last year, and I've been working on my application a little each day. My pre-health advisor from undergrad said I should submit by July 4th and it will still be on the early side. I was thinking I might just submit to one school as soon as it's ready so at least it will be verified. I can always add more schools later.

Ah! That's a good idea. I have a list of schools somewhat ready but yes it might be smarter to just turn it in early with one school. I hope you get off the waitlist for some of those schools! Good luck! :)

Just found out there is almost no chance of getting off one of my WL :(

Very few people at that school ended up with multiple acceptances so even though im in the top 1/3, there is going to be almost no movement at this school...

Very few people at that school ended up with multiple acceptances so even though im in the top 1/3, there is going to be almost no movement at this school...

I'm sorry to hear man - hey, keep your chin up though. Rootin for ya, and everyone else here in this thread.

That's rough.

Just pretend that you 100% aren't going to get in on any of them and prepare a reapp. Then there is no stressful waiting and if you do get pulled off a WL it will just be awesome news. Or at least that's what I'm doing.

Reactions: 2 users

Yeah dude, I just called one of my top choices and when I asked my chances, she said "It could really go either way..." She then proceeded to mention that the waitlist wasn't seeing much movement, the class was full, and she emphasized that I should plan around my other acceptances (HAH I wish)/waitlist options. Basically a kiss of death.

Combined with my other waitlists hardly moving, I have pretty much given up on this cycle. Might send one more interest/update letter to a school.

I strongly echo @juliuspepperwood about pretending you aren't going to get in and preparing for a reapp. It's much less stressful.

This is my third ound. The second time I was prepared and I believe I hit submit on the first day. For this round even though I was sitting on a waitlist, I think I also resubmited within a few days of the primary opening.

Yeah dude, I just called one of my top choices and when I asked my chances, she said "It could really go either way..." She then proceeded to mention that the waitlist wasn't seeing much movement, the class was full, and she emphasized that I should plan around my other acceptances (HAH I wish)/waitlist options. Basically a kiss of death.

Combined with my other waitlists hardly moving, I have pretty much given up on this cycle. Might send one more interest/update letter to a school.

I strongly echo @juliuspepperwood about pretending you aren't going to get in and preparing for a reapp. It's much less stressful.

It works pretty well, an hour after I posted that I got rejected from the 1 of the 3 schools I interviewed at and it didn't phase me.

It works pretty well, an hour after I posted that I got rejected from the 1 of the 3 schools I interviewed at and it didn't phase me.

**** em. This cycle has been an incredible learning experience, but really: **** em.

Thats really terrible for a school to do that to an applicant. We're people too. I hope you get in to one of the schools your wait listed on. I know how hard this situation is.

Good luck everyone! I'm finally in. I hope to see more of you get accepted off these darn waitlists!

Reactions: 11 users
I think the word "panic" is an understatement now. The proper word is... hopeless...