2013-2014 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That sounds a bit weird... How can the admissions guarantee an II before the app is reviewed?
Btw, I went to the Oct Applicant Day in Singapore and received the offer letter last week!! So excited!! ^-^ Nothing from FA yet though...

Congratulations angelvictoria!! Did you get a letter in the mail or an email letting you know about the offer, or both? Just curious because I'm going home for the holidays and won't be checking my actual mail box for a couple of weeks :/

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations angelvictoria!! Did you get a letter in the mail or an email letting you know about the offer, or both? Just curious because I'm going home for the holidays and won't be checking my actual mail box for a couple of weeks :/

Hi there,
I received email first then regular mail a few days later.
When was your interview? Hope you will receive good news soon;-)

Hi there,
I received email first then regular mail a few days later.
When was your interview? Hope you will receive good news soon;-)

Thanks for the reply :woot: ! My interview was just over two weeks ago, so I guess it could still be a while until I hear back. Just starting to feel nervous tho :p really hoping it'll be good news!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply :woot: ! My interview was just over two weeks ago, so I guess it could still be a while until I hear back. Just starting to feel nervous tho :p really hoping it'll be good news!!
My interview was over four weeks ago and no news has arrived yet. The admission team does not answer any of my emails. Same as you, I am getting more and more nervous. I am just wondering if any other applicants have got acceptance since November.
There is some rumour that more and more students with stronger records are applying. The school wants to compile the applications as much as possible and then make the decision. It is getting more and more competitive.

Hi everyone! I hope you all the best with your applications!
Btw, I heard on the applicants day, we are required to write an essay. Would you guys mind sharing what's the topic of the essay?

My interview was over four weeks ago and no news has arrived yet. The admission team does not answer any of my emails. Same as you, I am getting more and more nervous. I am just wondering if any other applicants have got acceptance since November.
There is some rumour that more and more students with stronger records are applying. The school wants to compile the applications as much as possible and then make the decision. It is getting more and more competitive.

Anyone knows when is the next II in Singapore?

By the way, Dr. Stenberg did mention that the competition for positions and waiting list is getting stronger by the year.

Hi everyone! I hope you all the best with your applications!
Btw, I heard on the applicants day, we are required to write an essay. Would you guys mind sharing what's the topic of the essay?

Good luck on your application too! We were actually told specifically not to share the essay/TeamLEAD topics from applicant day on forums, but I can assure you that it's pretty much like any high school/uni in-class essay writing experience, so don't lose sleep over it! :)

Hi this Brian Chan, MS1, President of the Duke-NUS MD Class of 2017 (Academic Year 2013/2014). My friends and I have just finished our first semester at Duke-NUS (Molecules and Cells, Normal Body). We've had the pleasure of getting to know some of you during the past few applicant days. We're looking forward to meeting more applicants come January.

If you have any queries or concerns please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Please note that I cannot give out information regarding the status of any individual applicant - please refer those questions to the programme leadership (contacts available on the Duke-NUS website) or Duke-NUS admissions department.

Best of luck.

Hi this Brian Chan, MS1, President of the Duke-NUS MD Class of 2017 (Academic Year 2013/2014). My friends and I have just finished our first semester at Duke-NUS (Molecules and Cells, Normal Body). We've had the pleasure of getting to know some of you during the past few applicant days. We're looking forward to meeting more applicants come January.

If you have any queries or concerns please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Please note that I cannot give out information regarding the status of any individual applicant - please refer those questions to the programme leadership (contacts available on the Duke-NUS website) or Duke-NUS admissions department.

Best of luck.
Thanks Brian! I was wondering how they look on applicants who applied at the final day? And in general how long it takes to hear back. Last, I noticed the stats are pretty competitive here. While I have a high 30s MCAT, my buddy has a 27. GPA wise, I'm 3.2 and he's 3.5. Wondering what type of receptivity they have to high MCAT/Low GPA and Low MCAT/high GPA profiles.

I am not going ot aks any questions about the program because I didn't apply until I was sure it was something I would want to do. So, right now, getting my foot in the door is the biggest interest.

Hey don't worry too much about rumours. I believe everyone's unique in their own way and we have our own set of interesting experiences that brought us here. Its really hard to say what's a stronger application and what's not. We get different opportunities along the way and learning from your unique set of experiences is more important than comparing anything at face value. So don't worry and continue to do your best at what you are working on right now!

Take care and stay positive.

Hey don't worry too much about rumours. I believe everyone's unique in their own way and we have our own set of interesting experiences that brought us here. Its really hard to say what's a stronger application and what's not. We get different opportunities along the way and learning from your unique set of experiences is more important than comparing anything at face value. So don't worry and continue to do your best at what you are working on right now!

Take care and stay positive.
Thanks for the kind word "Leonghart"! I received the offer letter last night!!! Still in the high mood now!!! I hope you will get good news soon as well :)

PS, I waited for exactly five weeks after the interview.

Thanks Brian! I was wondering how they look on applicants who applied at the final day? And in general how long it takes to hear back. Last, I noticed the stats are pretty competitive here. While I have a high 30s MCAT, my buddy has a 27. GPA wise, I'm 3.2 and he's 3.5. Wondering what type of receptivity they have to high MCAT/Low GPA and Low MCAT/high GPA profiles.

I am not going ot aks any questions about the program because I didn't apply until I was sure it was something I would want to do. So, right now, getting my foot in the door is the biggest interest.

Hey type 12.

By final day, do you mean the application deadline of 1 December?

From my experience, prospective candidates will hear from the admissions department anywhere from three weeks to several months after their applicant day.

Personally, I feel that it's best to focus on maintaining a strong GPA during college, for the single reason that you can't really go back and do it all over again. You could of course take a post-bac afterwards but that would mean more time spent. At the end of the day, there is no substitute for good grades. And as much as everyone talks about a holistic application that encompasses your experiences, interests, personality and talents, their number one concern is whether you'll be able to survive medical school. And committees will usually look at your grades to decide that.

The MCAT is a crucial component of your entry into medical school. Schools use it as a means to compare candidates (as fairly as possible) who come from a myriad of backgrounds. It can make or break your application.

I may sound like I'm contradicting myself, but the truth of the matter is that grades are not the only things which count. This is because "smart" people don't necessarily make good doctors. And that is why your entire portfolio, from your motivations and aspirations all the way to your referees is carefully scrutinised, to see if you'll be a good fit for our programme. No one has a perfect application and while all of us have weaknesses, we also have strengths which we can use to compensate effectively.

So in summary, get the best grades possible (GPA and MCAT), but don't worry if they're not perfect or amongst the very top. If the rest of your application is well rounded, you'll definitely be able to present yourself as a competitive individual.

Thanks for the kind word "Leonghart"! I received the offer letter last night!!! Still in the high mood now!!! I hope you will get good news soon as well :)

PS, I waited for exactly five weeks after the interview.

Congratulations! Great news! Thanks for your well wishes! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I would appreciate it if someone could answer my question. How many days prior to the Applicant Day will I be receiving the material I need for the TeamLead session? I will be flying from Canada and it'll take me a couple days to get to Singapore...I'm afraid of not having adequate time to prepare for the interview...Thanks for answering my question!

Hi all, I would appreciate it if someone could answer my question. How many days prior to the Applicant Day will I be receiving the material I need for the TeamLead session? I will be flying from Canada and it'll take me a couple days to get to Singapore...I'm afraid of not having adequate time to prepare for the interview...Thanks for answering my question!

Hi whyeh,
You will receive the TeamLead material about one week prior to the interview day. Don't worry, you'll have enough time to prepare. Just relax and enjoy the TeamLead session;-)

Btw, I flew from Canada to Singapore too. Good luck with your interview!

Hi whyeh,
You will receive the TeamLead material about one week prior to the interview day. Don't worry, you'll have enough time to prepare. Just relax and enjoy the TeamLead session;-)

Btw, I flew from Canada to Singapore too. Good luck with your interview!

Thank you so much for getting back to me! I'm looking forward to the Applicant Day but also nervous because I'll be jet legging

Last edited:
Just got the TeamLead stuff for the upcoming Applicant Day, so check your spam folders!

Just got the TeamLead stuff for the upcoming Applicant Day, so check your spam folders!
Hi Type12,

Is your applicant day on Jan 4th at Duke? Just asking because I have not receive the TeamLead stuff.Thanks!

Hi Type12,

Is your applicant day on Jan 4th at Duke? Just asking because I have not receive the TeamLead stuff.Thanks!
Yeah, it is! I just got it yesterday, so I'm sure you'll get it soon!

Hi there,
does any one how many applicant days does Duke NUS hold in the US? And also, when is usually the last one?

I just got it! Heard from a friend that they have filled up most of the spots for 2014 intake. :slap:

I just got it! Heard from a friend that they have filled up most of the spots for 2014 intake. :slap:
I have a feeling there are more spots than not (<50%) just because of the nature of the program. I have no clue or reference, just thinking through what types of applicants would be applying.

Is there anyone selling Kaplan, Examkrackers MCAT books and flashcards? PM me thanks

Is there anyone selling Kaplan, Examkrackers MCAT books and flashcards? PM me thanks
Oddly enough, I am, but this is REALLY not the threat for that, lol.

In other news, it is snowing like crazy here in NYC. I really hope my Friday flight doesn't get cancelled. I have a backup plan ready taking a 12 hour train ride, but that's going to be inconvenient.

Hoping to see you guys there! Any fellow SDNers can shout "I hate Duke-NUS!" and I'll know it's you. I mean, I wouldn't be just saying that to increase my chances!

But in all seriousness! Looking forward to Saturday.

Flight cancelled... A bit of malign humor from VCU sending me a rejection while I'm struggle with the flight mess. "Hey bro! Heard you just lost your interview, so I thought I'd lolz you by sending you are rejection! kthnxbai!"

Hi all, MCAT is only 29, and I cant retake this Jan. However, I have good GPA, strong research experience, relevant extracurricular activities and very personal LORs. Do I still have any chance this cycle? :(

Hi all, MCAT is only 29, and I cant retake this Jan. However, I have good GPA, strong research experience, relevant extracurricular activities and very personal LORs. Do I still have any chance this cycle? :(
I don't know, it seems they are receptive to High MCAT Low GPA types, but this can be offset by significant research. I would just email the school with updates and show interest, or even just ask them. They are SUPER friendly!

Flight cancelled... A bit of malign humor from VCU sending me a rejection while I'm struggle with the flight mess. "Hey bro! Heard you just lost your interview, so I thought I'd lolz you by sending you are rejection! kthnxbai!"
So, did you make it to the applicant day?

hi all, does anyone have any idea why an applicant would be called back for a second interview after attending applicant day?

hi all, does anyone have any idea why an applicant would be called back for a second interview after attending applicant day?
I think it shows that the school is really interested in you. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Last edited:
There are people with MCAT lower than 29 got into the school. I learnt this from their YouTube channel videos.

There are people with MCAT lower than 29 got into the school. I learnt this from their YouTube channel videos.
Wow!!! It is so good to know!

But I have tried the best since the deadline : tell them about my new publication, medical related activities and even request a new (and stronger) LOR. Yet still no interview invitation :( Do you think I should still keep on going

Wow!!! It is so good to know!

But I have tried the best since the deadline : tell them about my new publication, medical related activities and even request a new (and stronger) LOR. Yet still no interview invitation :( Do you think I should still keep on going?

Sorry for the double post, but my friend has a 27, lots of research (even a thesis), but without luck so far. Not rejected, but no interview. I received a response three days after submission (though, honestly, I think it was good timing).

Sorry for the double post, but my friend has a 27, lots of research (even a thesis), but without luck so far. Not rejected, but no interview. I received a response three days after submission (though, honestly, I think it was good timing).

Oh no, it means I'm out this year :(?

Sometimes I wonder why they value the MCAT so highly? In my case, the low MCAT was caused by the abysmal verbal, and to compensate, I showed them my GRE (since I am preparing for US PhD at the same time) with very high verbal section. Somehow I get the impression that they just don't care about each section of the MCAT, but use the entire score as a filter. That is , IMO, a bit unfair :(

Sometimes I wonder why they value the MCAT so highly? In my case, the low MCAT was caused by the abysmal verbal, and to compensate, I showed them my GRE (since I am preparing for US PhD at the same time) with very high verbal section. Somehow I get the impression that they just don't care about each section of the MCAT, but use the entire score as a filter. That is , IMO, a bit unfair :(
I neither have the experience nor the knowledge to make such a claim. My statements are all anecdotal, so don't lose hope! I'm just letting you know how things are going thus far, and also to know their next interview date hasn't even been set up yet, so I doubt anyone has been invited to it yet.

Cheer up dude !

During my previous application back in 2012, I was offered an interview date even though I only had a score of 28 and a 2nd Lower GPA.
I won't deny that the competition have gotten more and more intense over the years, but I feel you should give them a bit more time to review your application.
Like what type12 said, you can try sending emails to check on your application status if that helps.

Have more faith in yourself k !

Cheer up dude !

During my previous application back in 2012, I was offered an interview date even though I only had a score of 28 and a 2nd Lower GPA.
I won't deny that the competition have gotten more and more intense over the years, but I feel you should give them a bit more time to review your application.
Like what type12 said, you can try sending emails to check on your application status if that helps.

Have more faith in yourself k !

Thank you! I wont give up on saving my application from being obliterated :)

Hi there, don't think too much about it, they are probably taking the opportunity to get to know you better. I attended applicant day in Dec, and was called for a follow-up interview shortly after. Three weeks later, I received the offer letter. So keep your head up and don't lose sleep over it!

Hi there, don't think too much about it, they are probably taking the opportunity to get to know you better. I attended applicant day in Dec, and was called for a follow-up interview shortly after. Three weeks later, I received the offer letter. So keep your head up and don't lose sleep over it!
Thanks screamandshout. My first set of interviews on Applicant Day went well, but my follow-up interview was pretty brutal and the interviewer was not at all impressed/satisfied with any of my responses. So I wonder what all that was about. My guess is that the initial interviews weren't convincing enough and they wanted more information. Oh well, too late now.

Thanks screamandshout. My first set of interviews on Applicant Day went well, but my follow-up interview was pretty brutal and the interviewer was not at all impressed/satisfied with any of my responses. So I wonder what all that was about. My guess is that the initial interviews weren't convincing enough and they wanted more information. Oh well, too late now.

Well i had the same experience. Applicant day was fine, but got slaughtered during the second interview. May i ask when did u go for your second interview session? Just wondering if we met the same interviewer

Well i had the same experience. Applicant day was fine, but got slaughtered during the second interview. May i ask when did u go for your second interview session? Just wondering if we met the same interviewer
My second interview was just yesterday, so probably not the same interviewer. To be fair, a few of the other applicants on my Applicant Day had tough interviewers, so I guess it makes sense that they slaughtered me after a relatively easy initial interview. May I ask what your background/experience/qualifications are like (roughly)? Just curious, since we both got called for follow-up interviews, and you received an offer very quickly (3 weeks).

My second interview was just yesterday, so probably not the same interviewer. To be fair, a few of the other applicants on my Applicant Day had tough interviewers, so I guess it makes sense that they slaughtered me after a relatively easy initial interview. May I ask what your background/experience/qualifications are like (roughly)? Just curious, since we both got called for follow-up interviews, and you received an offer very quickly (3 weeks).

Yea I had the impression that my interviewers were too nice on my Applicant Day, so they got me back for another assessment.

I recently graduated from NUS with a BSc in Life Sciences. Currently working in a research lab. I think the research exposure really helped my application :)

Interviewed in October.
Follow-up interview in November. Seemed not so good.
And nothing after that.
Keep waiting now...:(As an international student outside of US, there is not much chance for me elsewhere...

Is it possible that offers arrive after several months waiting...?

Hope there will be some good news...

Interviewed in October.
Follow-up interview in November. Seemed not so good.
And nothing after that.
Keep waiting now...:(As an international student outside of US, there is not much chance for me elsewhere...

Is it possible that offers arrive after several months waiting...?

Hope there will be some good news...
I would probably reach out to them and see what is going on. That's way too long post-interview to not get any feedback. If it was pre-interview, fine, but after an interview, your decision should have been made.

it is quite an excruciating wait. :(

is it a common practice to be called back for second interview, for those who got accepted?

it is quite an excruciating wait. :(

is it a common practice to be called back for second interview, for those who got accepted?
Based on the exhaustive research I've done, a second interview is neither harmful nor helpful. As in, they are not re-interviewing you because they don't like you; and they are not re-interviewing you because they like you too much. It is merely a way to gain more insight into the applicant before making a decision.

Obviously, though, it means they are interested in you. Otherwise they wouldn't want to know more about you. I have heard that the second interview is brutal, but it seems like people's perception does not match the result: many people with bad 2nd interview experiences were accepted. I recommend sending them a private message and see what happened.

Thanks a lot, type12. Does this mean that those who got accepted all had to go for the second interview?