**2012 Acceptance Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted via personalized email on 3/8/12 :)

Members don't see this ad.

oh my goodness. Why haven't I heard anything from the child clinical program at VCU? It would be so helpful to know where I am on the waiting list (or if they've extended an offer). I'm holding on to another offer hoping to hear from VCU (#1 school). It's difficult to move on from wanting my 1st choice when I have not received any kind of update as to where they are in the process. It's frustrating.

Which brings me to my question for y'all:
is it customary for schools to notify you if you are on a waiting list or really where they are in the process?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh my goodness. Why haven't I heard anything from the child clinical program at VCU? It would be so helpful to know where I am on the waiting list (or if they've extended an offer). I'm holding on to another offer hoping to hear from VCU (#1 school). It's difficult to move on from wanting my 1st choice when I have not received any kind of update as to where they are in the process. It's frustrating.

Which brings me to my question for y'all:
is it customary for schools to notify you if you are on a waiting list or really where they are in the process?

Only one of the programs in which I was waitlisted told me on their own. However, my POIs didn't mind when I e-mailed them to ask if offers have been extended yet (and if they have been, I asked about my status). Good luck!

Does anyone know what the general reputation of CW Post's psyd prorgam in Clinical Psychology is?

Congratulations everybody! List is updated. :)

UT Austin clinical psychology!!! so excited!

Is this a PsyD or a Ph.D.? How and when was it communicated? Congratulations!

informed i'm on the waiting list via snail mail today (3/8)

what are my chances??!?!

my stomach almost untied of knots after first seeing a very thin envelope :confused:

What type of program is this?

I've been so caught up in everything that I haven't taken the time to post here, but I actually got acceptances from my top two schools, which was CRAZY.

Northern Illinois University Clinical Psychology Ph.D.
Accepted off of waitlist by email from POI on 3/3/2012

University of Missouri - St. Louis Clinical Psychology Ph.D.
Accepted by phone call from program director on 2//28/2012 (formal offer via email from program director on 3/1/2012)

I took the St. Louis offer, but it was tough, because I loved NIU too.

Has anyone heard from City College? I interviewed sooo long ago!

I received an offer from CUNY City College for the Clinical program on Tuesday the 6th via phone call from the DCT. I will be accepting elsewhere, though. Hope that helps!

Accepted at Pacific University PsyD Program
received an e-mail from admissions coordinator on 3/8/12 Official letter to come in the mail
Interviewed on 3/2/12

If anyone on here who applied to Virginia Consortium Clinical PsyD program and was offered spot but not considering going there, would you mind PM me. Thanks!

How common is it for programs to not include health insurance in their funding package?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone on here accepted into UC Irvine's developmental program? I am curious to know who would be in my cohort...

Finally get to post on here :)

Accepted to Immaculata University Clinical Psy.D. Program
Notified : 3/9/12 via Postal Service by dean of graduate studies!

Anyone on here accepted into UC Irvine's developmental program? I am curious to know who would be in my cohort...

I'm also wondering if anyone else got accepted to Clark's Clinical PhD program.... also interested in who might be in my cohort. I haven't seen anyone else post about Clark but I'm pretty sure all the offers have gone out.

SO, SO happy that I can finally post on this thread! Accepted to the University of Alabama-Birmingham (Medical Clinical Psychology Ph.D.) via phone call from DCT! Best phone call of my life!

This was received today, 3/9/12. Official e-mail to follow. :D

I don't know if this applies here. but I got accepted in the Human Development Family Studies, Ph. D program at Texas Tech, via e-mail with a formal letter to follow 3/9/12

How common is it for programs to not include health insurance in their funding package?

As in they pay for your insurance? I don't recall any programs I looked at or interviewed who paid for insurance, although most (all?) required that you have it. Most of them offered student health insurance at considerably cheaper rates than what you are able to obtain elsewhere on your own--but the quality of those policies also varies. I thankfully do not need to rely upon our offered student insurance policy, which is a damned good thing with all my medical bills. :thumbdown: If you're a relatively healthy individual and don't expect anything to go wrong with you, then . . . it *may* be a good option.

School: Wright State University
Program: Clinical Psychology PsyD
Concentration: Child Concentration
Notification: Got a phone call from one of the faculty members who interviewed me and is also the head of the Child Concentration!!!!! :):):):)

One of my programs offered coverage of the entire premium, one offered to cover 80%, and I haven't yet received a hard copy of funding from my most recent program. Judging from the first two, however, I would expect something from the third to be competitive. No?

Yeah, a bunch of programs I applied to offer health insurance (in the same was that employers do, paying the majority of the premium), but the program I most want to go to does not offer it! Anyone know of inexpensive health insurance options for students, aside from the University's policy? I've heard this schools policy is "not worth it"

One of my programs offered coverage of the entire premium, one offered to cover 80%, and I haven't yet received a hard copy of funding from my most recent program. Judging from the first two, however, I would expect something from the third to be competitive. No?

Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it as this is something that apparently varies by program. So you may have two programs that are covering your entire (or the majority of) your costs (which is great!), but another that doesn't. Again, in *my* experience (and others I know in other programs), insurance was offered but not paid--so there are programs that will not and do not cover your insurance. You may be one of those lucky folks who happened across all the ones who do fund insurance. :)

Congrats (to all the folks raking in the acceptances)! :thumbup:

Yeah, a bunch of programs I applied to offer health insurance (in the same was that employers do, paying the majority of the premium), but the program I most want to go to does not offer it! Anyone know of inexpensive health insurance options for students, aside from the University's policy? I've heard this schools policy is "not worth it"

If you're relatively healthy & young (also sometimes helps if you're male!), you can typically obtain an individual policy through the major carriers fairly cheap. And you tend to get better coverage (& options) than most of the crap that universities offer regardless.

Accepted today. Received a phone call from the graduate coordinator.

!!!!!!

Got acceptance phone call yesterday from Chestnut Hill College for their Psyd Program, and got another acceptance letter from Immaculata University today (May 2012 start).

:D

Excited!! I think Chestnut Hill is a better match for me, personally, but I'm not sure. I still have an interview at La Salle on Monday, but I'm not sure I even really want to go now.

I agree. I am procrastinating contacting schools because of that awkward feeling. I think I will just write one solid email and then mass send. Just rip the band aid off strategy. Maybe doing this sooner than later will help the other applicants who really want to go the programs because the programs can give the fellowships and assistantships that I was offered to those who are fully committed.

Ugh I just called to decline my other offer. It's not like I think I'm so great that I've broken this person's heart or anything, but it's still a terribly awkward conversation to have. He also immediately asked where I had accepted. :(

I agree. I am procrastinating contacting schools because of that awkward feeling. I think I will just write one solid email and then mass send. Just rip the band aid off strategy. Maybe doing this sooner than later will help the other applicants who really want to go the programs because the programs can give the fellowships and assistantships that I was offered to those who are fully committed.

Do it. Just think, it may be awkward for you to decline but it'll make the waitlisted applicant very happy! You have the power to make someone's day.

Notification: Got a phone call from one of the faculty members who interviewed me and is also the head of the Child Concentration!!!!! :):):):)

Congrats :) I got the call too

Last edited:

Congrats :) I got the call too

Last edited:
Unless things have changed, Harvard extends offers over the phone (no in person interviews, at best a phone interview) and they have a visiting weekend for those accepted. My understanding is that there is no waitlist- professor told me that they only have a set number of offers they can extend and if they are not accepted they cannot make new offers. Rejections come out pretty late via snail mail as well. Based on my experience, any offers would have already been extended (they were by Feb two years ago). Their incoming cohorts are really small (~2) so its not surprising its hard to hear by word of mouth. Other programs like UIUC and I think Yale work like that (i.e., no in person interviews).

Offers went out this past week... sorry psychanator

It is true there isn't any waitlist and that cohorts are small (mine has 4 students). There isn't any interview weekend and they do typically ask for interviews in person, but this depends on the professor.

I asked this in the interview thread too...what are our thoughts on the etiquette for removing yourself from consideration at schools you haven't heard back from yet post-interview if you've already accepted an offer elsewhere?

I asked this in the interview thread too...what are our thoughts on the etiquette for removing yourself from consideration at schools you haven't heard back from yet post-interview if you've already accepted an offer elsewhere?

Do it. You already know where you're going so definitely ask to be removed from consideration. It'll get your name off acceptance/waitlists and open up a spot for someone else.

Do it. You already know where you're going so definitely ask to be removed from consideration. It'll get your name off acceptance/waitlists and open up a spot for someone else.

I agree completely. I did this with 2 of my schools even though they did not extend an offer. I figure, why wait if I already know I probably won't accept? Profs appreciate it. I've gotten some very kind letters in response!

Only one of the programs in which I was waitlisted told me on their own. However, my POIs didn't mind when I e-mailed them to ask if offers have been extended yet (and if they have been, I asked about my status). Good luck!

email them and ask directly...

I also accepted my offer for their Clinical Psych program! What faculty you are working with?

I don't know if this applies here. but I got accepted in the Human Development Family Studies, Ph. D program at Texas Tech, via e-mail with a formal letter to follow 3/9/12

Congrats! Texas Tech has a strong program!

Congrats! Texas Tech has a strong program!

Thanks, the only thing I am worried about is that it's my undergraduate university as well, but a different department since I graduated with a Psych degree and this is the human sciences dept. I'll have to talk to a few mentors before I make my final decision but I am a little worried about the "intellectual inbreeding," even though it's two different departments (I opted for this one since it lined up more with my research interests). They're also helping a lot with the funding.
It seems like I am having a hard time shaking off this institution :oops:.

hey everyone - i am waiting to hear back from one school to make my final decision. I interviewed there about two weeks ago. and I would like some time before the April 15th deadline approaches to make a decision. I also would like to give the school i choose plenty of time before the deadline.

Is it okay for me to email my POI or the program coordinator asking if they have made any acceptance decisions. If not when i should hear back?

How should i word this? Who should i email? I'm kinda nervous if that would ruin my chances, etc.

hey everyone - i am waiting to hear back from one school to make my final decision. I interviewed there about two weeks ago. and I would like some time before the April 15th deadline approaches to make a decision. I also would like to give the school i choose plenty of time before the deadline.

Is it okay for me to email my POI or the program coordinator asking if they have made any acceptance decisions. If not when i should hear back?

How should i word this? Who should i email? I'm kinda nervous if that would ruin my chances, etc.

I think you should wait at least another week (~3 weeks to e-mail is okay, I believe this week is also spring break for many campuses around the US) and a simple, "Good Morning Mr/Ms..., my name is _____ and I applied for (Graduate program) for Fall 2012. I was wondering when I would hear of the final application status. Thank you and have a nice day/etc. "

In case anyone else is waiting, George Fox University may not make their offers until as late as April 1 this year. They have not yet made their decisions.

UVa had their Spring Break last week so I'm thinking this will be the week they get back to people.

I got an acceptance email from Xavier University yesterday (March 12th), which just so happened to be my birthday! Excellent Birthday gift for sure! I also got accepted to the PhD program and Palo Alto University last week. Im 99.9% sure I will be accepting the offer from Xavier! This was my second year applying and I am extremely happy I won't have to do it again! Good luck everyone!:D

Has anyone heard from UVA-Curry since the interview?

I just heard - rejection. :( Really disappointing. But meant to be. So, if you havn't heard, that is probobly good news! Good luck!!! Pm me if you want to know which lab.

Just got my acceptance to Temple University School Psychology PhD program! Weee!:banana:

Has anyone heard from SUNY Binghamton's Clinical PhD? I thought they were supposed to extend offers by March 9th or 10th and haven't seen anyone reporting any acceptances or rejections post-interview on this forum or Grad Cafe. They also aren't on spring break.

Has anyone heard from SUNY Binghamton's Clinical PhD? I thought they were supposed to extend offers by March 9th or 10th and haven't seen anyone reporting any acceptances or rejections post-interview on this forum or Grad Cafe. They also aren't on spring break.
Haven't heard a thing either way.