2012-2013 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info! Sounds harsh though :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Officially not submitting the secondary. I only have 1 semester of math and I don't want VCU bad enough to take another semester. One of you can have the spot I was going to take... ;) Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what percent of those who get a secondary are interviewed? I know that someone posted earlier that he heard it was 60%. does anyone know if it is true?

Does anyone know what percent of those who get a secondary are interviewed? I know that someone posted earlier that he heard it was 60%. does anyone know if it is true?

Not true.

yeah, I figured. Even though you have a fighting chance with a secondary, it is by no means THAT easy. they have their limits too.

How many days has it taken to get that good status change that people say is a good thing this early?

I just got a status change!

"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview, you will be notified by e-mail in March.

WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS MEAN

Just got an email that says this:

The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site in order to learn when further action has been taken.

is this VCU code for: REJECTED?

The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview, you will be notified by e-mail in March.

If past years mean anything....then it means we're both probably getting interview invites within the next month! :luck:

There was a post on the previous page explaining the statuses. It doesn't mean rejected though! Good luck!!!

Also from last year's post:

"Application Status:

1) "The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. There is another increase in the applicant pool this year, but we are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible. Please watch for an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

2) "The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail."

3) "The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

4) "The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

5) "REJECTED"

#1 - you are interviewed
#2/3 - may be interviewed (still not sure how they are different or which is better)
#4 - subcommitee message
#5 - rejection."

There was a post on the previous page explaining the statuses. It doesn't mean rejected though! Good luck!!!

"Application Status:

1) "The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. There is another increase in the applicant pool this year, but we are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible. Please watch for an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

2) "The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail."

3) "The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

4) "The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

5) "REJECTED"

#1 - you are interviewed
#2/3 - may be interviewed (still not sure how they are different or which is better)
#4 - subcommitee message
#5 - rejection."

I see...so I'm on the fence between rejection and an interview, but mostly leaning towards rejections. Oh well.... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
to the people who posted above about your status changing, what are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

If past years mean anything....then it means we're both probably getting interview invites within the next month! :luck:

yeah based on last years thread it looks like we will hear begining of August.

if it helps anyone im OOS and got the MAY status so yeah. Already tearing my hair out haha :D

i submitted on 7/12, and my "file status" still says "incomplete." is that true for everyone else?

i submitted on 7/12, and my "file status" still says "incomplete." is that true for everyone else?

I also submitted on 7/12 and am still incomplete. I think they haven't downloaded our letters from AMCAS yet.

did anyone else have trouble getting hard returns to show up in the essay? mine shows up as one huge paragraph no matter what I do

did anyone else have trouble getting hard returns to show up in the essay? mine shows up as one huge paragraph no matter what I do

my hard returns didn't work, either. i tried chrome, ie, and firefox.

Looks like hardly anyone gets that very interested status so being OOS we should be happy with our may and further statuses!

my hard returns didn't work, either. i tried chrome, ie, and firefox.
just noticed the disclaimer on the top of the "certify app" section where it says the formatting might not show up right when we look there but it will for the adcoms when they look at it.. I'm gonna trust that then

Just readdressing the ridiculousness of the secondary essay character length. Can anyone give me a guestimate as to how much they wrote character-wise? I'm not even hitting 1/2 of 8000 characters!

Thanks!

"Application Status:

5) "REJECTED"

#1 - you are interviewed
#4 - subcommitee message
#5 - rejection."

The OFFICIAL answer on 2 & 3 you have all been waiting for (but are going to hate):

#2 ("May" status) -- You are a great applicant and we want to interview you but you are not yet in the "Interview Now" zone. Your priority score has been assigned. This is a favorable hold status -- basically a pre-interview "waitlist."

#3 ("Further" status) -- We haven't finished reviewing your application yet. We might be distracted by other candidates, research, or teaching duties, but we will get back to you soon. Sorry about that. This is basically a wait list for #2 with the possibility of going directly to #0 (i.e., an interview invite)

I would consider #2 to be the better of the two since it indicates you have been given a positive review and they are waiting to invite you for an interview. #3 is a blind hold, whereas #2 is a hold with a favorable score (just not quite favorable enough for an immediate or promised interview invite).

Last edited:
Just readdressing the ridiculousness of the secondary essay character length. Can anyone give me a guestimate as to how much they wrote character-wise? I'm not even hitting 1/2 of 8000 characters!

Thanks!

I managed 5500 and that was stretching it.

Thanks!

For the main essay: About 800-900 words, ~5000 characters.

Emailed them today.. One person told me 1 semester of calc 1 fulfilled the math requirement, another person told me I needed 2 semesters of math. wtf.

Emailed them today.. One person told me 1 semester of calc 1 fulfilled the math requirement, another person told me I needed 2 semesters of math. wtf.

Calc + Stats is standard for most schools. Just do that. I don't know what VCU requires. All I know is that Calc + Stats was plenty for me at all of my schools and that I had plenty of acceptances to go around. Don't stress too much about it....

So my file isn't complete because I lack my LORs. They were sent through AMCAS, I'm assuming they just haven't paired them together with the application, yet?

I'm in the same boat... how long did it take all of your LOR's to transfer over?

This is good. I received this and a week later obtained an interview late Sunday night.

Personally, having been through this with VCU, there is a lot of hub bub about what is better "May" or "Further". I personally believe May is better.

This was my first interview on September 27th last year. I was later accepted on their first acceptance date on October 17th. This is a wonderful school and the campus is amazing with the new medical school building being constructed. If I didn't get into Gtown I would have gone here. Great place.

I'd love the answer any questions to help you guys out. As you will see, your first acceptance will always hold a special place in your heart.

just noticed the disclaimer on the top of the "certify app" section where it says the formatting might not show up right when we look there but it will for the adcoms when they look at it.. I'm gonna trust that then

dont worry about format

these people have been doing it for years and know there are technical issues.

This seems fairly accurate.

#1 is a definite interview (high chance of acceptance)

#2 & #3 are similar, but it seems that #2 may be preferred, so..

#2 is a likely interview (good chance of acceptance); this message suggests an interviewable (and likely admissible) candidate who may not quite make the cut due to the number of applicants

#3 is a possible [late] interview (reasonable chance of acceptance/good chance at wait list); this message suggests you will be evaluated further down the road and reads similarly to the "pre-interview hold" emails many schools send out

#4 is basically a holding pool with a subcommittee and would indicate an interview is unlikely (likely wait list/rejection if interviewed); possible late interview if you pass the subcommittee's evaluation

No real clue which priority scores match to where, but if I had to guess, I'd say:

#1 --1.0-1.5 (smallest category as this basically indicates an imminent interview)
#2 -- 1.5-2.5
#3 -- 2.5-3.5
#4 -- any priority score with specific issues in need of a subcommittee -- such as criminal charges or IAs -- this probably is just a flag that must be addressed before assigning the priority score
#5 -- >3.5

I know I started at #2 and was offered an interview about 2 months after being complete. My acceptance came exactly 14 days post-interview.

Thanks for this! I gathered the same thing that #2 was > #3. Seems pretty accurate. On last years thread those with status #2 got an II approx a month later, or whenever the first II were sent out in August. Wonder what you had to do to get #1 though.....

A few people have gotten interviews off this status. But it is highly unlikely that you will be accepted as after your interview your file goes back to a committee that decides if you will be accepted or not. This committee has the same people on it that delegated you this status.

This is good. I received this and a week later obtained an interview late Sunday night.

Personally, having been through this with VCU, there is a lot of hub bub about what is better "May" or "Further". I personally believe May is better.

This was my first interview on September 27th last year. I was later accepted on their first acceptance date on October 17th. This is a wonderful school and the campus is amazing with the new medical school building being constructed. If I didn't get into Gtown I would have gone here. Great place.

I'd love the answer any questions to help you guys out. As you will see, your first acceptance will always hold a special place in your heart.

Thanks, Yeah im realizing more and more that being OOS and having this status is a great thing! Can't for for August to see about the interviews!

Thanks, Yeah im realizing more and more that being OOS and having this status is a great thing! Can't for for August to see about the interviews!

Yes I'm out of state (MD) and if you get an interview out of state then that means you have a VERY VERY good chance of getting accepted as long as you don't pick your nose or fart during the interviews.

At a lot of medical schools, money is tight and state schools will be more willing to take OOS because they will be forced to pay higher tuition all four years. VCU doesn't let you get IS tuition even if you switch your residency over etc etc.

Yes I'm out of state (MD) and if you get an interview out of state then that means you have a VERY VERY good chance of getting accepted as long as you don't pick your nose or fart during the interviews.

ehhh, I don't know...per OOS interview:accept statistics, I think it is about 50/50 odds.

So while the chances are better OOS post-interview than Mayo's 25% odds, it's still gonna be a gamble.

I like UVA's odds. I think they were around 75% post-interview OOS.

Calc + Stats is standard for most schools. Just do that. I don't know what VCU requires. All I know is that Calc + Stats was plenty for me at all of my schools and that I had plenty of acceptances to go around. Don't stress too much about it....

VCU is the only school I've seen so far that requires more than 1 semester. I graduated and can only take classes at CC. The CC near me doesn't have statistics.

VCU is the only school I've seen so far that requires more than 1 semester. I graduated and can only take classes at CC. The CC near me doesn't have statistics.

Take Stats. Find a local university that'll let you take it as non-degree-seeking.

I'd say most of the schools where I applied required stats and those that didn't often made statements like, "while stats isn't required, we like to see it and [something about how we were all pretty much on equal footing post-interview and this could be the thing that put us over the edge....]"

hey pal, what extracurricular activities have you had time for at medical school if you have had time?

also, are there particular types of activities that a majority of medical school students have time for?

Am I the only one with stats around a 35 MCAT and 3.8 GPA who is sitting here without a secondary? Committee letter not in and OOS if that changes anything....edit never mind , tough to receive a secondary when you haven't added the school on amcas.

Last edited:
hey pal, what extracurricular activities have you had time for at medical school if you have had time?

also, are there particular types of activities that a majority of medical school students have time for?

Good question. I'm starting medical school this year but from looking at my schedule I can probably tell you close to none.

However, I have seen that many students participate in free community clinics supported by their medical school. From what I understand, there are always long waiting lists to attend these because many people love to buff their residency resume with items such as these.

You can always do research in the summer or plan orientations and things for the incoming M-1's from what I understand.

Am I the only one with stats around a 35 MCAT and 3.8 GPA who is sitting here without a secondary? Committee letter not in and OOS if that changes anything.

Yes you LOR's need to be in. They screen your primary which requires you LOR's so they can't make a decision to provide you with a secondary.

Tell your committee to get a move on.

Yes you LOR's need to be in. They screen your primary which requires you LOR's so they can't make a decision to provide you with a secondary.

I dont think this is correct, many schools screen primary applications (Wake Forest, UNC) and they send you the secondary and only require the LOR's to be turned in when your secondary has been turned in, essentially marking your file as "complete". If your LOR's arent in, it shouldent hold you up from getting a secondary, as the initial screen is based on your primary app. Once you turn in your secondary though, your status will remain "incomplete" until your letters have been uploaded into AMCAS.

Not true. I had similar stats and got a secondary without my letter. They screen only based on stats.

I see that people who submitted their secondary over the weekend already have their files reviewed and given a ranking.

I submitted my secondary this weekend and am not missing any letters or anything. Yet, my status still says "INCOMPLETE". Should I be worried or just wait a few more days for them to update the system before I send them an email.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.