2011 COMLEX Level I Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bleeker10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a thread like this for those of us taking the beast this year so I thought I'd make one. When's everyone taking it? I'm taking it May 24th so I now have just over 60 days until I take it.

What materials are being used? I'm using FA, Goljan, BRS Phys, and Savarese along w/ Kaplan COMLEX and USMLE Qbanks (provided by school), USMLEWorld, and COMBANK.

Anyone taking USMLE too? I'm undecided since I'm military. I'll see where I'm at in a month and I can schedule it then.

Members don't see this ad.

never took a comsae but i did feel like i failed it walking out of the exam. i actually just put my score report on my fridge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Walked out of it feeling like I failed too. But scored in the 95th percentile. I scored a little less than me comsae b exam. Overall it's a good predictor. A lot of my friends did better on the real exam except me, but still very pleased.

Last edited:
Did anybody else have the experience of repeated themes of the COMLEX? It seemed I had two medical issues in particular that came up over and over while other things that I thought for sure would be on there were not. I hope I didn't just think it was the same thing when it was really something else. I started feeling bad when I was putting the same answer for several questions.

Did anybody else have the experience of repeated themes of the COMLEX? It seemed I had two medical issues in particular that came up over and over while other things that I thought for sure would be on there were not. I hope I didn't just think it was the same thing when it was really something else. I started feeling bad when I was putting the same answer for several questions.

Yes. I think my whole exam was endocrine and reproductive....over and over again. I also had 2 questions about the same moa for one of the gout drugs.

Just talked to a guy at nbome, and they said they should be getting scores out tomorrow (I took exam on 7/20) and if not then hopefully by Mon. Of course he said none of this was set in stone but that was the way things were looking.

Talked to NBOME a few minutes ago, they said scores to be released today or monday would be through july 15. The ones through july 20 would not be until next week sometime.

That's so weird. July 12-15 was only a step 2 exams. So, that means there are no new step 1 scores coming out today?

That's what he said, but maybe he had me mixed up with a step 2 person, I told them step 1 and I took it July 19 so maybe we had a miscommunication somewhere.

I called again, and talked to someone different again, this time the lady said that there were level 1 scores being released today (did not say the date) but that the 20th would probably be the end of next week if not another 2 weeks......

I just love the inconsistency of NBOME, didn't have any trouble at all when talking with NBME

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend and I who both took it July 18th called today and got two different answers one hour apart. He was told not for a few weeks I was told early next week...:rolleyes:

Thank you, I took it July 19 so I am going on the assumption it will be next week then. Do they not post scores after 5:30 est?

I'm not sure. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned 5 or 6 central time. but honestly NBOME is so ridiculous I don't know if there is actually a set time.

AliDO- i had the same issue. I had the same question about gastroenteritis 5 times and started getting paranoid that I was interpreting the question incorrectly. In one section I had Repetitive questions with the same respiratory presentation. I also had at least 2 questions on radial or femoral head in each section. It was annoying.

I took it on july 19th....

the nbome is a terribly disorganized organization that writes terrible tests....so glad I took the usmle

It's seems like only step 2 scores were released on Fri, but maybe something will come out today (I doubt it) or at least by this Fri.

Under the eligibility it now has Level 2 CE and PE listed with checks next to them, whereas before it only had Level 1 listed. I noticed this when I checked on Friday. Did you notice the same thing? I'm not completely sure if this means anything, but there was some talk about this on here earlier. The general consensus was that it means you passed since you are now "eligible" to take Level 2, but for a lot of people that status didn't show up until later (after receiving the actual score) and this was bc it was school specific. So idk? Ahh I really hope we get scores this week!

Under the eligibility it now has Level 2 CE and PE listed with checks next to them, whereas before it only had Level 1 listed. I noticed this when I checked on Friday. Did you notice the same thing? I'm not completely sure if this means anything, but there was some talk about this on here earlier. The general consensus was that it means you passed since you are now "eligible" to take Level 2, but for a lot of people that status didn't show up until later (after receiving the actual score) and this was bc it was school specific. So idk? Ahh I really hope we get scores this week!

Mine hadn't changed when I looked at it earlier (hopefully not a bad sign)

Pretty sure it does vary by school. My school tightly regulates what you are allowed to do and didn't release us to even take Step 1 until 10 days before the exam as we had to get a certain score on COMSAE before we could take COMLEX. I don't have that either and I'm just guessing it is because the school you are attending.

Pretty sure it does vary by school. My school tightly regulates what you are allowed to do and didn't release us to even take Step 1 until 10 days before the exam as we had to get a certain score on COMSAE before we could take COMLEX. I don't have that either and I'm just guessing it is because the school you are attending.
haha docman, I am guessing you are VCOM also, so you know what im talking about. Yea, I don't have anything up on mine, I am assuming this is another way VCOM controls just about everything we can do.

It is school specific. Your school has to release you to be eligible for Level 2 CE and PE like it did for Level 1. I passed Level 1 on July 1st and just had my availability for Level 2 show up today

It has been a little over 5 weeks since I have taken comlex 1 and still have no score. it only took about 3 1/2 weeks for the usmle to be scored. does anyone know if they have to release the scores within a certain date of you taking it. this is crazy not to have a score back

Hey guy..unfortunately i failed by couple of points...
I did DIT + some COMBANK + FA(2-3 times)....but that didnt work out

I am taking it SEPT 19th...

I just finished UW with 51%...
For the next 10 days I plan on going over FA (50 pg/day) + DIT book + UW wrong ones (100/day)

Should I use USMLERx? I am planing on getting COMBANK again the last 2 weeks.

What would you do? Should I add anything? Should I do the UW wrong ones?

PLz help..thanks..

Hey guy..unfortunately i failed by couple of points...
I did DIT + some COMBANK + FA(2-3 times)....but that didnt work out

I am taking it SEPT 19th...

I just finished UW with 51%...
For the next 10 days I plan on going over FA (50 pg/day) + DIT book + UW wrong ones (100/day)

Should I use USMLERx? I am planing on getting COMBANK again the last 2 weeks.

What would you do? Should I add anything? Should I do the UW wrong ones?

PLz help..thanks..

A big key to success on boards is understanding and knowing the "why" of what you learn. You should use Goljan path rapid review and/or his audio recordings. He does a great job explaining principles and incorporates pharm and micro which will also help answer these wtf/weird questions on comlex. The book is a bit long so I would just focus on his high yield margins and look at the text for explanations. I used his book and added the high yield margins to FA.
Also don't forget about Savarese OMT book. If you didn't study OMT much on your first exam, I would start there.
Do that + questions and make sure you take the time to read and study from the explanations. You're better off doing 20 questions thoroughly understanding why every other answer is wrong and how the question would be changed to make it right, than rushing through 200.

That's just my advice, good luck!

JasPat,

I feel for you. Just out of curiosity, how were you scoring on COMBANK? Their website recommends >63% to pass.

In the few weeks you have before your retest, I suggest hammering OMT. Do ALL the post chapter questions in the Savarese book. Also, I would do ALL 3 of the COMSAE's if you have the time and $$$. These are the best representation of the real thing.

Best of luck and keep your head up....

JasPat,

I feel for you. Just out of curiosity, how were you scoring on COMBANK? Their website recommends >63% to pass.

In the few weeks you have before your retest, I suggest hammering OMT. Do ALL the post chapter questions in the Savarese book. Also, I would do ALL 3 of the COMSAE's if you have the time and $$$. These are the best representation of the real thing.

Best of luck and keep your head up....

THanks guys..i do not clearly remember the % sry

OMT was not a problem for me...

Should I do the UW wrg ones again? I am currently reading FA and DIT book...then OMT and take a COMSAE on SEPT 5th...

How does that sound?

Is golijan necessary? audios?

Thanks again.

It has been a little over 5 weeks since I have taken comlex 1 and still have no score. it only took about 3 1/2 weeks for the usmle to be scored. does anyone know if they have to release the scores within a certain date of you taking it. this is crazy not to have a score back

I don't think they realize that they can upload things more than once a month. Either that or they're too lazy to do it since that means they'll have to update their website also. The last release (end of july) included scores for people up until july 11th. Some people only had to wait 18 days for their score. It appears that they will (maybe...) release scores again this friday and they'll probably include the people that have taken it at the beginning of this month. Having to release scores once a month works perfectly well with their "4-6 weeks" estimation.

So I suppose if you take it early in the month, you could potentially get the scores back by the end of the month?

I was also surprised to hear that some of the people calling about score releases keep getting different people that work there answering their phone calls. I was always under the impression that there were only 2 people working there, which is why it takes so long. Or maybe it's because everyone is busy answering phone calls?

July 2nd got my scores July end..

keep doing COMBANK Q and FA. I think people make a HUGE mistake when they think that UWorld will be sufficient for COMLEX. For some people it is, but those people have an excellent handle on the 'whats/whys' of the pathology and pathophys. You need to figure out how to beat COMLEX at it's own game, and understand that their questions are written completely different from USMLE. a good rule of thumb (helped me)... It's not what you think it is, it's what you KNOW they WANT.

What dates are up now? Congrats to all! I'm guessing it'll be the full six weeks for me even though there were only three test dates. Sure wish it would be quicker! How did everybody do? Specifically how did you do compared to COMSAE if you took one? I'm so sick of being nervous all the time!!!!

As long as it doesn't over predict my score that much! That would be horrible!

They say around 26 points under predicted. I just like to hear specific stories since I know it could easily go either way. I also thought, in my opinion, COMSAE B was much easier than COMSAE C and my scores were very different (taken one day apart) so I like to know what happened with other people. It's all I can do now to help keep me optimistic.

Dont take thr comsaes too seriously. I got a 525 on comsae and a 732 on the real thing. I know n=1 but it seems they are worthless for predicting scores.

Do you mind telling me which version that was? B and C were so different for me it's hard to tell what to think.

My exam was on July 18th. I took COMSAE C about 10 days before the exam.
COMSAE C=498
COMLEX=523.

I left the actual exam feeling that there was no way I passed. So I was pumped to see my score. I'll try to write a more lengthy review soon. But from what I can tell, COMSAE C consistently underpredicts your score (even if you felt like you failed). I didn't take COMSAE B but did take A at the begginging of the summer (398 on it).

My exam was on July 18th. I took COMSAE C about 10 days before the exam.
COMSAE C=498
COMLEX=523.

I left the actual exam feeling that there was no way I passed. So I was pumped to see my score. I'll try to write a more lengthy review soon. But from what I can tell, COMSAE C consistently underpredicts your score (even if you felt like you failed). I didn't take COMSAE B but did take A at the begginging of the summer (398 on it).

Thanks! that's what the trend seems to be. C was my worst score with 420. I only made 460 on B. Obviously I'm not looking or expecting for a great score, I just want to pass at this point! It just seems with those scores I am cutting it close but I had to take it.

Thanks! that's what the trend seems to be. C was my worst score with 420. I only made 460 on B. Obviously I'm not looking or expecting for a great score, I just want to pass at this point! It just seems with those scores I am cutting it close but I had to take it.

And I took them both the same day. About 4 days prior to COMLEX.