2011 COMLEX Level I Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bleeker10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a thread like this for those of us taking the beast this year so I thought I'd make one. When's everyone taking it? I'm taking it May 24th so I now have just over 60 days until I take it.

What materials are being used? I'm using FA, Goljan, BRS Phys, and Savarese along w/ Kaplan COMLEX and USMLE Qbanks (provided by school), USMLEWorld, and COMBANK.

Anyone taking USMLE too? I'm undecided since I'm military. I'll see where I'm at in a month and I can schedule it then.

Members don't see this ad.

Thought I'd share this for people on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I opened up FA for the first time June 6th and took COMLEX I the 27th. What did I do?

1. All the DIT questions that I should've done from Jan-May in 1.5 weeks.
2. 400 COMBANK questions the following 0.5 week. 49% correct on that handful.
3. Then I went through this thread and identified the high yield topics (Micro, Repro, OMM, Neuro, GI etc) and watched the relevant videos 1.5X, the 0.5 meaning I watched some twice, but not all.
4. In the meantime, I took COMSAE B and scored a 365 120 hours before the exam.

Passed it. Not giving an actual score but it was between 410-450.

FM or IM, here I come!

Thought I'd share this for people on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I opened up FA for the first time June 6th and took COMLEX I the 27th. What did I do?

1. All the DIT questions that I should've done from Jan-May in 1.5 weeks.
2. 400 COMBANK questions the following 0.5 week. 49% correct on that handful.
3. Then I went through this thread and identified the high yield topics (Micro, Repro, OMM, Neuro, GI etc) and watched the relevant videos 1.5X, the 0.5 meaning I watched some twice, but not all.
4. In the meantime, I took COMSAE B and scored a 365 120 hours before the exam.

Passed it. Not giving an actual score but it was between 410-450.

FM or IM, here I come!

I haven't received my score yet but I got a 460 on COMSAE B and felt like I failed the exam (and I am not the type to always think like that). Do you think a low 400's could get you an OB/GYN residency as well?

I haven't received my score yet but I got a 460 on COMSAE B and felt like I failed the exam (and I am not the type to always think like that). Do you think a low 400's could get you an OB/GYN residency as well?
I would stop speculating until you get your score. You won't know what you get until you get it. All you're doing is torturing yourself.

To answer your question, I don't know. I'm the same year as you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would stop speculating until you get your score. You won't know what you get until you get it. All you're doing is torturing yourself.

To answer your question, I don't know. I'm the same year as you.

I know. There's nothing I can do about it now. Some people of have a lot of research about board scores and matching already. I'm not one of those people and thought maybe you were.

anybody else waiting on scores from August 11-16? I know it will be a while just wanted to see if I was the only one. Also, for anybody who took the test on the 16th what were your thoughts?

anybody else waiting on scores from August 11-16? I know it will be a while just wanted to see if I was the only one. Also, for anybody who took the test on the 16th what were your thoughts?

Hi, yes I also took it on the 16th. I am hoping for a September 9 score release. The exam seemed to have a lot of repeated themes, I counted 4 questions on just one immunology topic! I was glad there was not too much on things I am weak on, and hoping I didn't make too many mistakes on things I should have known.

Hi, yes I also took it on the 16th. I am hoping for a September 9 score release. The exam seemed to have a lot of repeated themes, I counted 4 questions on just one immunology topic! I was glad there was not too much on things I am weak on, and hoping I didn't make too many mistakes on things I should have known.

Oh my gosh at the repeats! I'm not sure I remember the immunology ones though. I just remember thinking they should cut this exam in half in they are just going to ask the same question over and over.

Oh my gosh at the repeats! I'm not sure I remember the immunology ones though. I just remember thinking they should cut this exam in half in they are just going to ask the same question over and over.

Exactly! On the positive side, at least I got done a couple minutes early on each section and more relaxing breaks and a lot less stressful experience because of it.

I took mine on Aug 15 and just got off the phone with NBOME. The guy said to start checking everyday the week of Sept 12...So I might start check then...During the test I noticed that many of the questions seemed oddly written and I also noticed several repeats...I guess that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how well you know the question's topic :p ...Anyway, I have to admit that the wait is the worst part! So much so that everytime I think about it I just get ridiculously nauseous :/ Goodluck to everyone!!!

I took mine on Aug 15 and just got off the phone with NBOME. The guy said to start checking everyday the week of Sept 12...So I might start check then...During the test I noticed that many of the questions seemed oddly written and I also noticed several repeats...I guess that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how well you know the question's topic :p ...Anyway, I have to admit that the wait is the worst part! So much so that everytime I think about it I just get ridiculously nauseous :/ Goodluck to everyone!!!

If the trend holds it will probably be that Friday. That stinks.

Well at least it is unlikely they will post scores and then take the system down for maintenance an hour later like they did on my score release day. Glad im paying these people thousands of dollars for that kind of nonsense.

Well at least it is unlikely they will post scores and then take the system down for maintenance an hour later like they did on my score release day. Glad im paying these people thousands of dollars for that kind of nonsense.

I would have freaked out! Even more than I have been lately. That's just horrible!

Members don't see this ad :)
THanks guys..i do not clearly remember the % sry

OMT was not a problem for me...

Should I do the UW wrg ones again? I am currently reading FA and DIT book...then OMT and take a COMSAE on SEPT 5th...

How does that sound?

Is golijan necessary? audios?

Thanks again.

Hi, I answered your PM. Check your inbox.

any chance the august 10th will be released tomorrow? I'm guessing next week but still holding out hope!

any chance the august 10th will be released tomorrow? I'm guessing next week but still holding out hope!

I just called NBOME and they just gave me the standard "4-6 weeks" line. When asked, they also would not provide me with a recommended time to call back to see when the scores will be released. Oh, how I love NBOME!

I just called NBOME and they just gave me the standard "4-6 weeks" line. When asked, they also would not provide me with a recommended time to call back to see when the scores will be released. Oh, how I love NBOME!

Just wait till you start taking their shelf exams. It took them 2 WEEKS to post the scores!

i really hope scores come out next week. has it always been on a friday? I took mine on august 16th. I left thinking I did okay, but with each week I get more pessimistic. This wait sucks soooo much.

i really hope scores come out next week. has it always been on a friday? I took mine on august 16th. I left thinking I did okay, but with each week I get more pessimistic. This wait sucks soooo much.

It seems like, there should be nothing holding back scores for next week, considering there was a COMLEX II score release on September 9 and there weren't that many of us that took the exam in August, they should release all the scores at the same time. The middle of this coming week will be 4 weeks for some and 5 weeks for the others. I mean, what else do they have to do? They will probably release them this week just to prove that they are still relevant in their jobs.

I was told it would be next week. I asked if it would be Friday since that seems to be what they have been doing and they said that was a coincidence and it could be any day of the week. We'll see. Good luck to all!

Hey, I was wondering what percentile on level 1 does one need to be competitive for a DO general surgery residency? Thanks.

Hey, I was wondering what percentile on level 1 does one need to be competitive for a DO general surgery residency? Thanks.

I think I read somewhere that anything over 550 would make you a strong candidate, but you can find plenty of info about that online with avg scores of those students who actually matched this past spring

I was told it would be next week. I asked if it would be Friday since that seems to be what they have been doing and they said that was a coincidence and it could be any day of the week. We'll see. Good luck to all!

Thank you AliDO and good luck to you and everyone else. I was hoping hoping scores would be out by today--4 weeks for some, 5 weeks for others. My school did email me and said to expect scores, most likely this Friday. Since my theory of a Wednesday release looks like it didn't come to pass, maybe the other rumor is true! Hoping for Friday.

my score is up! still says taken but not realesed but my score is up! I passed!!!!

did anyone take the comlex level 1 yesterday on oct 18th? i thought it was pretty hard and some of the questions were just not important to becoming a doctor. what were your opinions of things?

did anyone take the comlex level 1 yesterday on oct 18th? i thought it was pretty hard and some of the questions were just not important to becoming a doctor. what were your opinions of things?

Care to share anything that stood out? :) I take it on monday.

So I know there are a lot of factors that are takien into consideration to land a general surgery residency, but I wanted to know what kind of score do you want to aim for on the comlex and usmle. Also, do you guys know if it is getting more competitive every year to get into it? Thanks in advance!

So I know there are a lot of factors that are takien into consideration to land a general surgery residency, but I wanted to know what kind of score do you want to aim for on the comlex and usmle. Also, do you guys know if it is getting more competitive every year to get into it? Thanks in advance!

This question is better suited for its own thread, and probably on the Osteo board rather than the Step 1 board.

i take my test next tues and i am freaking out just took comsae a on monday scored 410 and plan on taking comsae B on Fri..... any suggestions or tips from now to then to focus on.... I am panicking already and I still have a week

The three highest yield subjects you could study in your last week

1. OMM
2. Micro
3. Repro

If I were you, I'd focus on cramming these three topics in your brain.

I think one assessment test is enough. You have 1 week, why waste 4 hours of it taking a test that provides no answers?

My $0.02

I PASSED!!!! Scored way more then I expected...thank god and everyone for there help...now i can enjoy my 3rd year...

I had tons of sacral omm no chapman lots of micro but I'd say alot more pharm then micro and drugs I've never heard of .... Some repo like matching but not as much as what everyone else seemed to have