2011 COMLEX Level I Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bleeker10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a thread like this for those of us taking the beast this year so I thought I'd make one. When's everyone taking it? I'm taking it May 24th so I now have just over 60 days until I take it.

What materials are being used? I'm using FA, Goljan, BRS Phys, and Savarese along w/ Kaplan COMLEX and USMLE Qbanks (provided by school), USMLEWorld, and COMBANK.

Anyone taking USMLE too? I'm undecided since I'm military. I'll see where I'm at in a month and I can schedule it then.

Members don't see this ad.

Just took my exam a few days ago and it was not what I expected. Most popular questions were micro and OMM/innervations and the rest was pretty mixed with fair amount of psych (make sure you know that if you haven't taken it).

I averaged 71% on USMLEQbank and 82% on combank (only did about 800 total quest) and felt pretty confident on practice quest but that was NOT the case for comlex. I thought it was a little harder than COMSAE B and C. There were definitely a good amount of gimme quest but I wasn't feeling 100% confident for about half the questions. Even though I used FA, Goljan and Savarese, it felt liked I didn't study the right material. A lot of times I was able to answer by educated guesses where only 1 or 2 answer choices made sense. I had a lot of long stem quest and more vague wtf question then I thought I would.

I felt really confident before the exam (based on practice questions) and was realistically hoping to get above 600, but now I think I should be lucky ifI get anything close to 500. I'm completely down and feel I won't be able to relax till the score comes back.
Did anyone else feel that way after taking the COMLEX and ended up with a decent score??

Last edited:
I really want this score to be released. I'm getting sick of waiting. The NBOME definitely didn't answer my email either.

Just took my exam a few days ago and it was not what I expected. Most popular questions were micro and OMM/innervations and the rest was pretty mixed with fair amount of psych (make sure you know that if you haven't taken it).

I averaged 71% on USMLEQbank and 82% on combank (only did about 800 total quest) and felt pretty confident on practice quest but that was NOT the case for comlex. I thought it was a little harder than COMSAE B and C. There were definitely a good amount of gimme quest but I wasn't feeling 100% confident for about half the questions. Even though I used FA, Goljan and Savarese, it felt liked I didn’t study the right material. A lot of times I was able to answer by educated guesses where only 1 or 2 answer choices made sense. I had a lot of long stem quest and more vague wtf question then I thought I would.

I felt really confident before the exam (based on practice questions) and was realistically hoping to get above 600, but now I think I should be lucky ifI get anything close to 500. I'm completely down and feel I won’t be able to relax till the score comes back.
Did anyone else feel that way after taking the COMLEX and ended up with a decent score??

i felt the same way. it seemed like my whole exam was OMM and innervations. i studied primarily from first aid and pathoma. I also used DIT, u-world (avg ~60), and combank (avg ~76). i thought i might have failed the exam. i scored just over 600. DONT LOSE HOPE!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

I averaged 71% on USMLEQbank and 82% on combank (only did about 800 total quest) and felt pretty confident on practice quest but that was NOT the case for comlex. I thought it was a little harder than COMSAE B and C. There were definitely a good amount of gimme quest but I wasn't feeling 100% confident for about half the questions. Even though I used FA, Goljan and Savarese, it felt liked I didn’t study the right material. A lot of times I was able to answer by educated guesses where only 1 or 2 answer choices made sense. I had a lot of long stem quest and more vague wtf question then I thought I would.

I felt really confident before the exam (based on practice questions) and was realistically hoping to get above 600, but now I think I should be lucky ifI get anything close to 500. I'm completely down and feel I won’t be able to relax till the score comes back.

felt same way. was getting 630-640 on comsaes and felt confident going in and then felt awful after the test. A lot of gimme questions, but also so many weird ones. I was even worried about breaking a 500 and on the real deal I broke a 600. I don't think anyone feels confident after this exam...Stay positive! good luck :)

i felt the same way. it seemed like my whole exam was OMM and innervations. i studied primarily from first aid and pathoma. I also used DIT, u-world (avg ~60), and combank (avg ~76). i thought i might have failed the exam. i scored just over 600. DONT LOSE HOPE!!!

felt same way. was getting 630-640 on comsaes and felt confident going in and then felt awful after the test. A lot of gimme questions, but also so many weird ones. I was even worried about breaking a 500 and on the real deal I broke a 600. I don't think anyone feels confident after this exam...Stay positive! good luck :)

Good to know, thanks guys, that makes me feel a lot better

According to reliable sources, grades should be up no later than next week.

Last edited:
According to reliable sources, grades should be up no later than next week.

Are you part of the comlex illuminati? 4 weeks out, is there a day of the week that they usually release on? The longer I wait the more scenarios I come up with that don't end well.

Ha, illuminati. No. But we can't start rotations until we have our passing grades so my "source" was promised by nbome that they'd be in by aug 1.

Ha, illuminati. No. But we can't start rotations until we have our passing grades so my "source" was promised by nbome that they'd be in by aug 1.

Oh Ok sounds good! Our school let's us start our first rotation, but if you fail comlex then they make you retake the test after you finish your first rotation but before you can start block 2

Did you guys all have to take it by a certain date or something?

6/27
oh, i didnt get the question at first. Yea had to be done by the end of june.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I took the COMLEX about a week ago, and didn't think it went great. My COMBANK average was an 85%, my COMSAE C was a 689, but I walked out of the test thinking I'd be lucky with a 500. Did anyone else feel this way and have it turn out being ok?
Can anyone identify with me? :) For those of you who have already received your scores, when you left the test, about what % would you say you had to "make an educated guess on" because you thought the ?s were out of left field? I'm just trying to get a feel for it and not to worry for the next 5 weeks - thanks guys and congrats to all who are finished!!

Members don't see this ad :)
6/27
oh, i didnt get the question at first. Yea had to be done by the end of june.

Was July like an orientation month/vacation then? It seems like it could've been a useful time to study more. At any rate, thanks for the heads up. I took it on 6/24 and am dying to know.

Hey guys! I took the COMLEX about a week ago, and didn't think it went great. My COMBANK average was an 85%, my COMSAE C was a 689, but I walked out of the test thinking I'd be lucky with a 500. Did anyone else feel this way and have it turn out being ok?
Can anyone identify with me? :) For those of you who have already received your scores, when you left the test, about what % would you say you had to "make an educated guess on" because you thought the ?s were out of left field? I'm just trying to get a feel for it and not to worry for the next 5 weeks - thanks guys and congrats to all who are finished!!

I wouldn't worry much at this point. I had very similar stats, and had absolutely the same experience after exam, I was thinking that 500 will be good at this point. However, when I opened my score I was surprised with 710, even higher than my comsae assessment. So don't worry and try to relax before rotations.

when I opened my score I was surprised with 710

Jiminy Christmas. Nice work, that is a ridiculously high score.

Was checking compulsively today..will be doing the same all week until they come out :D. Having taken it 6/24 at least I know now that I will more than likely be in the next batch that comes out. Any one else with me? Flushot I think you are..

Was checking compulsively today..will be doing the same all week until they come out :D. Having taken it 6/24 at least I know now that I will more than likely be in the next batch that comes out. Any one else with me? Flushot I think you are..

I'm right there with ya. I'm also checking every couple hours. The last couple scores came out fridays so I'd put my money on that day to be the most likely judgement day.

I'm in the sameboat, I'm hoping it will be this Friday....

I took mine July 2nd, anyone have the foggiest clue when to expect that one? Couple weeks?

Looks like the lucky ones get it in 5 weeks but a lot of people at 6 weeks. The trend also suggests that Friday afternoons are a popular release time.

Seems irrational to me that it takes almost twice as long as the USMLE scores.

Yes, I am also within the 6/24 group. Rotations would be so much nicer if I knew the score.

Am I correct in thinking that the June 18th crowd hasn't gotten their scores back either? If so the scores have to be released by this friday in order to get their's out by 6 weeks. It also makes me feel less crappy about waiting 4-5 weeks to get my score ;)

Am I correct in thinking that the June 18th crowd hasn't gotten their scores back either? If so the scores have to be released by this friday in order to get their's out by 6 weeks. It also makes me feel less crappy about waiting 4-5 weeks to get my score ;)

Yea, the NBOME home page says that everybody that took it through 6/17 has gotten their scores.

does anyone know what the comlex is like in the winter? as in is it composed of even more weird questions with a sketchy curve etc

I just spoke with a rep from NBOME...she said that they hope to release several step 1 test date scores by the end of this Friday, but if not, def by Monday. She didn't give me specific test date ranges, but I was asking about the 6/23 test date. No telling with the NBOME, we'll have to wait and see if it's true!

7/26/2011 4:00PM - Planned Systems outage this Friday evening
As part of our continuing commitment to improving service to our clients, The National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners, Inc. will be moving equipment into our new and improved data center this weekend. On Friday evening - July 29th - between 10:00PM EDT and 4:00AM EDT, the client access and registration system and all Board and Committee SharePoint sites will be offline for an extended period of time. During the outage all web based access will be unavailable.

Guess maybe this means more like monday.....

7/26/2011 4:00PM - Planned Systems outage this Friday evening
As part of our continuing commitment to improving service to our clients, The National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners, Inc. will be moving equipment into our new and improved data center this weekend. On Friday evening - July 29th - between 10:00PM EDT and 4:00AM EDT, the client access and registration system and all Board and Committee SharePoint sites will be offline for an extended period of time. During the outage all web based access will be unavailable.

Guess maybe this means more like monday.....

We just have to hope they release the scores and THEN pull the plug on all their computers Friday night. Otherwise there's no telling when they will come back.

I took the exam on 6/27. I am a little worried that I haven't gotten the "Eligible for Step 2" update that everyone keeps talking about.

Anyone else who took the exam around this time receive that update?

i took it on the 24th and I also don't see it, I wouldn't worry too much about it. hopefully we will all find out tomorrow before their systems go down. good luck

I took the exam on 6/27. I am a little worried that I haven't gotten the "Eligible for Step 2" update that everyone keeps talking about.

Took it 6/27 as well and no update. I'm at the point where I'm beginning not to care anymore. It's ridiculous how long everything is taking.

I had taken my exam July 5th, and had actually filed a complaint regarding distractions during my exam. I received an email from the NBOME 2 days stating that if I wanted to cancel my scores, I would have to do so by today at noon, otherwise they would be scored and released. ( I elected not to cancel).

However, based on the pattern that the exam scores for 2 weeks of exam dates have been released on every other friday, I'm assuming that tomorrow's release date may include exams taken from July 18 to July 1, and may even include July 5th seeing as that less exam dates were offered during those 2 weeks in comparison to the previous 4.

Just a thought...

i took it on the 24th and I also don't see it, I wouldn't worry too much about it. hopefully we will all find out tomorrow before their systems go down. good luck

I had some friends who took it on the 24th who got the "Step 2" update. It got changed over last thursday, making them think that their scores were gonna be released the next day (nope). One of the same friends took the COMLEX on the 24th, then the USMLE on the 27th. His USMLE score came back almost two weeks ago. :wtf:

Got an email from my school regarding this. Your school has to release you to be eligible for step 2 like they did for step 1. My school is electing to wait to do it until everyone from my class has received their grades. So I wouldn't worry about it at all.

On a similar note, has anyone else looked at the PE schedule that's up yet for next year?

Got an email from my school regarding this. Your school has to release you to be eligible for step 2 like they did for step 1. My school is electing to wait to do it until everyone from my class has received their grades. So I wouldn't worry about it at all.

On a similar note, has anyone else looked at the PE schedule that's up yet for next year?

I just noticed the PE schedule up there - did they just add it or was I just not paying attention before now?

Also omg I hope they release the scores tomorrow but I am also incredibly nervous. I just hope I passed so that I don't have to tackle that beast again!

Soooooooo since I took my test July 2nd and the release dates were through June 17th this last cycle, and they seem to release them every 2 weeks does that mean they will release scores through July 1st test dates tomorrow?

Wow, that was a run-on, hope that made sense. Would suck to have to wait another 2 weeks because I took the exam on a saturday.

Thanks for clearing this up. I was getting a little neurotic seeing people get this update but I haven't seen it.

I just checked it now too and nothing. Guess it will take a least another week.

COMLEX just needs to be gotten rid. The USMLE is a better test anyhow. Seriously, if they want to make us take some separate small test on OMT stuff, then fine.

It is evident that it is not only a subpar exam, but that they just plain do not care about doing anything but the bare minimum and at the last possible second. Furthermore, their responses to us do nothing to answer our questions. Either today or monday? Really? Thanks NBOME, way to be on the ball.