2011 COMLEX Level I Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bleeker10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a thread like this for those of us taking the beast this year so I thought I'd make one. When's everyone taking it? I'm taking it May 24th so I now have just over 60 days until I take it.

What materials are being used? I'm using FA, Goljan, BRS Phys, and Savarese along w/ Kaplan COMLEX and USMLE Qbanks (provided by school), USMLEWorld, and COMBANK.

Anyone taking USMLE too? I'm undecided since I'm military. I'll see where I'm at in a month and I can schedule it then.

Members don't see this ad.

Met my goal.. Broke a 600!

Sooo relieved! I felt awful after the test, literAlly kept thinking of everything I got wrong/stupid mistakes I made. My test was not fun, very hard... So those of you who felt like crap after it's not the end all. Have faith in your practice scores (easier said than done tho haa). I had a list of at least 50 qs I def got wrong, and even more I was unsure of.

I think stupid mistakes from nerves and not going with my first instinct Is why I didn't reach my peak potential, but I am really just grateful I didn't do as bad as I felt.

For those waiting on scores, try and nor think about it/stay positive. And for those yet to take it, really focus in the exam and try and minimize any foolish mistakes.

Celebration timeeee :)

Oh and I do not have step 2 eligibility status don't freak out, neither do I. When I read that on here I thought I must have failed, so don't be concerned!

i got a 581...how good/bad is taht score? i honestly dont know anything about comlex scoring, i've been focusing on usmle

Members don't see this ad :)
got my score back today. took the test on 6/17 and when i walked out of the exam, i thought might have failed. i ended up with a 604.

took my first COMSAE (C) before i really started studying (5/7): 410
did DIT and took another COMSAE (B) (5/30): 515
between the two COMSAEs, while i was doing DIT, i did UWorld.
i got through all but ~200 of the UWorld questions with an overall 60%.
When i first started UW, i was getting 40%. near the end, i was getting 60-70%.
about 3.5 weeks before my COMLEX, i started doing COMBANK. i finished all of the questions with an overall average of 76%.

i didn't do another COMSAE because i was worried that a poor performance would throw off my game.

i was stupid and didn't do a good job studying OMM. i tried reading the green book but i started OMM ~2 days before my exam and i just was so sick and tired of studying that i gave up on it pretty fast. if i was to do it all again, i would have studied more OMM. a pretty big chunk of my exam was OMM.

i'm just glad to be done with STEP 1 for good!

i got a 581...how good/bad is taht score? i honestly dont know anything about comlex scoring, i've been focusing on usmle

I got a 585. So im in the same ballpark vicinity as you. Im very curious what this score could get me. I will say that I have no interest in derm or ENT. Though I won't rule out ortho or ophtho and I'm curious if this is a sufficient score for that.

also: save me the "personality and fit is everything in a DO program". I've heard that plenty. I also believe it enough... but still: there *is* a "good score" to aim for at least in every residency. And I want to be at or above it. :laugh:

Just got my score 710/97. Very happy. I was so burnt down after USMLE, so didn't focus on this exam at all. Also happy that my comsae B showed 669, and i got much more

Hey everyone,

I took it today, just got back......Wanted to post since this thread has helped me a ton!

Before I forget I had 1 question where I had to calculate the serum osmo and pick the correct number. It was pretty specific.

Overall some very very easy questions, less than 10-20 seconds to answer....then some WTF questions from left field. Some things I have never heard of before. I also got the birth control matching, but knew 3 out of the 4.

Biochem- Nothing really here, got a few ?s on some of the glycogen storage diseases and a few about the genetic diseases like marfan's and osteogenisis imperfecta. Maybe 5ish questions total....

Behav Science- A few ethical situations...1 or 2 where pretty tough. Some crap about teaching a resident to talk to patients and the right way to do it according to some method I've never heard of before. 2 questions on the p value and getting a number and interpreting it.

Micro- a HUGE chunk of my exam....not much on treatment maybe 4-6 questions. The majority where they give you a set of signs and symptoms and say pick the bug/virus/parasite/worm. The majority where bacteria, a few on viruses, a few on protozoa and fungi and one or two on worms.

Immuno- a few on immunodeficiencies, one or 2 on hypersensitivity and that's it. A few on Rh incompatibility.

Pharm- not too bad...most what drug to treat this or side effects. I had one really weird one....what drug can be inhaled for osteoporosis????WTF?

Anatomy- a few weird ones NOT in first aid. Not more than 10 or so questions.

Carido- A few tricky ones, more than I thought....Probably 20-30 questions. Some murmurs where easy, but some questions where not so easy....

Resp- Not too many questions, a few on cancers, fungal infections in the lungs and sarcodosis.

Heme/Onc- I really cannot remember too much, maybe one about Beta thal.....

Renal- A few on nephritic and nephrotic, but easy like kid strep throat a week ago has RBC casts what is diagnosis. A few on renal failure. One on acetaminophen toxicity that was tough. One on nephrotic.

Path- A few on chemicals and what they would cause like CCl4 and so on. There were a few pictures of tissue samples and they wanted the diagnosis. They gave you the region the biopsy was from but that was it. Kind of tough here. At least 15ish questions like this. Which I was shocked about!

GI- few on Chrons/UC/anal disorders. Hepatitis, appendicitis, bilirubin questions (know how photo therapy works), micro related diarrhea.

Endocrine- a few on thyroid, lots on repro endocrine, a few on adrenal gland path.

Repro- Some where soooo simple like endometerosis, PCOS, or leiomyoma or partial vs. complete hydatidiform moles. Or all the placenta conditions know COLD. Then some weird hormone questions that were NOT in first aid. Of course some (3ish) you would have to be an OBGYN resident to answer.

Neuro- Epi/subdural/arachnoid, some on skull fracture, uncal herniation, strokes and some difficult ones I thought.

MSK- Lots here, dealt with neuro, omm, autoimmune. A few on arthritis, gout, RA, I actually had a ton of derm....

OMM- MAN soooo many questions probably 30-40% of my test. Know levels COLD for viscerosomatics and chapmans. A few chapmans not in the green book, but not too bad. I had 6-8 questions on post. radial head....haha. Most of the repeated the same scenario, fell on out stretched hand.....Let's see what else, stupid simple ones like TP posterior on some side better in flex/exention what's the diagnosis. Some sacrum that was tough. I had a matching on crainial string patterns (torsion, sidebending rotation so on...). Lots of good old psoas, lots of upper extremity. Actually 5-8 questions on lower extremity. Know common perioneal nerve. Know scoliosis, cobb angle used on x-ray, know how to tell if it's dextro or levo know what it means if the curve cannot be corrected by sidebending. A good number of counterstrain treatment questions....75% where no-brainers and easy....the rest where kind of tough. I knew OMM well from my school, so felt good about it. I bet all the answers are in the green book.

Background on what I did......

Studying since December. I was through FA 3 times before I started DIT probably 20 days ago. I was through UW once before DIT and COMBANK once. I made it through another pass of Combank as well. I didn't really use a method. I just read first aid, did UWorld ?s on that section I read to learn from. I learned a ton doing this. We had a comprehensive pharm final which helped studying.

I did COMSAE A early May got 450.
COMSAE B 543 late May
COMSAE C 538
COMBANK 1st pass 74.5%
COMBANK 2nd pass 89.8%
UWorld like 60.8%

Now have to wait 4-6 weeks which sucks!

Good luck to everyone!

Let me know if you have specific questions.

Nick

Hey everyone,

I just got my score back today and took it June 9th.

My goal when I started studying was 600+. You can see my progression of UWorld, Combank and the COMSAE's above.

I got 601 on the real deal.

So I did about 60ish points better than my best COMSAE which was form B. I guess it's true form B is the most like the real deal.....take it for what's it's worth though.

I just wanted to report back since this thread really helped me.

Hope everyone's rotations are going well.

Nick

Hey everyone,

I just got my score back today and took it June 9th.

My goal when I started studying was 600+. You can see my progression of UWorld, Combank and the COMSAE's above.

I got 601 on the real deal.

So I did about 60ish points better than my best COMSAE which was form B. I guess it's true form B is the most like the real deal.....take it for what's it's worth though.

I just wanted to report back since this thread really helped me.

Hope everyone's rotations are going well.

Nick

Congrats! Feels good to hit your goal you started with.

So I take my exam on Wed, I have been doing combank every morning still going back through FA during the day and reading savarese at night. Of the people who have already taken the exam, did you do the tests in the back of savarese or would you recommend doing them?

My combank is 77%, COMSAE C 543, COMSAE B 555, just trying to get an idea what I should be shooting for/expecting on Wed.

Hello, I have the same question as the poster littleasian as above. My classmates have been saying that 500 is generally the average on the COMLEX, with 84 the standard deviation.

What kind of scores are generally recommended for applying for IM, PM&R, or anesthesiology residencies for the DO match? Also does anyone know what the equivalent USMLE score for a 581 COMLEX score is?

Thanks.

Hello, I have the same question as the poster littleasian as above. My classmates have been saying that 500 is generally the average on the COMLEX, with 84 the standard deviation.

What kind of scores are generally recommended for applying for IM, PM&R, or anesthesiology residencies for the DO match? Also does anyone know what the equivalent USMLE score for a 581 COMLEX score is?

Thanks.

yea, i have that EXACT same question! i have never been able to find a score chart like you can with USMLE scores. do these exist?

btw, i love the random users with with 2 posts and 12 posts that come on and say just, "sooo happy 710/97 !!" thank you for all your contributions to SDN in this difficult journey. its very helpful to know your 710/97 and i applaud your 710/97. :biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)
Took it on 6/9/11 and result is: 553/86.

COMBANK Avg: 70%
COMSAE A: didn't take b/c friends told me it was not COMLEX reprsentative and too much behavioral science
COMSAE B: 520 (11 days out)
COMSAE C: 488 (4 days out)

Honestly, I really thought COMSAE's were much harder than the COMLEX and the COMBANK was may as comparable or a tad easier than the COMLEX. So for those who score low or don't think they did well on the COMSAE, don't lose faith and just keep your head high. Take it as a grain of salt and keep chugging.

So, how good or bad is my score really? I keep asking around but I have not seen any good answers. Any ideas?

Took it on 6/9/11 and result is: 553/86.

COMBANK Avg: 70%
COMSAE A: didn't take b/c friends told me it was not COMLEX reprsentative and too much behavioral science
COMSAE B: 520 (11 days out)
COMSAE C: 488 (4 days out)

Honestly, I really thought COMSAE's were much harder than the COMLEX and the COMBANK was may as comparable or a tad easier than the COMLEX. So for those who score low or don't think they did well on the COMSAE, don't lose faith and just keep your head high. Take it as a grain of salt and keep chugging.

So, how good or bad is my score really? I keep asking around but I have not seen any good answers. Any ideas?

There is a percentile converter on NBOME website. I have a score similar to yours (558) and that's about 75th percentile. So that gives you an idea of how good it is.

I'd say 75th percentile is pretty solid. Good enough score to get your foot in lot of specialties (perhaps all of them?).

Hmm, no score yet for me (June 24th). Hopefully after another week I'll get mine.

I also don't see where you guys see Eligibility for Step 2 CE. Did the people who already got their scores have that noticed? I'm getting a little worried now =/

When I log onto my NBOME account, just above Exam status there is a heading that says Exam Eligibility. There's a box below that with 2 lines which both have check marks. One line says level 1 and the 2nd line says level 2 CE. I read the NBOME Bulletin of Information available on line that says the NBOME have the authority to change eligibility based on passing level 1. It just doesn't make sense to me why I'm eligible for step 2 but I don't have my score....makes me nervous that they've made a mistake.

Sorry, I don't mean to make people worried. I was just wondering if anyone else out there had the same thing because it just changed for us. Maybe it's our school's issue? RN2DO and I both go to the same COM

Last edited:
When I log onto my NBOME account, just above Exam status there is a heading that says Exam Eligibility. There's a box below that with 2 lines which both have check marks. One line says level 1 and the 2nd line says level 2 CE. I read the NBOME Bulletin of Information available on line that says the NBOME have the authority to change eligibility based on passing level 1. It just doesn't make sense to me why I'm eligible for step 2 but I don't have my score....makes me nervous that they've made a mistake.

Sorry, I don't mean to make people worried. I was just wondering if anyone else out there had the same thing because it just changed for us. Maybe it's our school's issue? RN2DO and I both go to the same COM

I'm gonna guess that it has more to do with your school. My school didn't release us for step 1 until later than some of my friends at other schools and I imagine that they decide when to release their students.

Here comes the traditional breakdown of pre-exam grades and the real thing:

these were done first time through, random blocks of 50 questions
Kaplan USMLE Qbank 72%
Kaplan COMLEX QBook 70%
COMBANK 80%
COMSAE C- 508 four weeks out
COMSAE B- 574 one week out
crammed FA and incorrect questions for the last week
Real deal 679/95! I was praying for a 600 and was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

I studied with Goljan audio for all of second year, used FA extensively, and focused heavily on Qbanks and going over all questions wether I got them right or wrong.
I listened to all of goljan audio at least 5 times over the year because I had a long commute, I think that guy is awesome.
Kaplan pharm flashcards were very good since they focus on bugs+drugs, and they ask what drug should be used in a given situation, very COMLEX style.

Good luck to all those waiting for grades!

I've never heard of the COMLEX. Sounds fun. I'd love to take it some time. Is it a group test?

Considering the fact I thought the exam was completely awful I am pleased with my score. I took it 6/8 and got just below a 530 and I walked out of the exam feeling like I failed (also score was about 70 points higher than COMSAE C that I took 1 week out). Congrats on all the awesome scores and goodluck in 3rd year!

551/86
Did not take the USMLE.
Ranked in the top 12% of my class.

hoping for an OB/GYN residency in MI...what do you think about my chances? I plan on only applying to the DO match.

Besides the obvious Plastics, ENT, etc. are there any other specialties you think are ruled out with this score? (And, yes, I understand that personality matters too...)

Thanks in advance.

I have a question for those who took the comlex. I took the usmle on the 15th and I have been working on the Savarese book for a couple days. I really don't feel like doing the tests in the back of the book. Are they worth it?

I took a comsae C and got a 538. I honestly would be perfectly happy with that score and studying omm is so irritating. I just wanted an above average USMLE score.

So what do you think? Do the exams?

anyone know if you can get a breakdown of your score by subject online? Will that be mailed out?

Yes, your score breakdown is mailed out. Usually takes around 4-5 business days from the time your online scores were released.

I have a question for those who took the comlex. I took the usmle on the 15th and I have been working on the Savarese book for a couple days. I really don't feel like doing the tests in the back of the book. Are they worth it?

I took a comsae C and got a 538. I honestly would be perfectly happy with that score and studying omm is so irritating. I just wanted an above average USMLE score.

I did 2 of the 4 exams and thought they were pretty helpful. Some of those questions have a very, very long stem and the real exam does NOT have stems that are full page long. But it's a nice change up from simply reading the green book which can get boring/unproductive your 3rd or 4th time through.

Yes, your score breakdown is mailed out. Usually takes around 4-5 business days from the time your online scores were released.

I did 2 of the 4 exams and thought they were pretty helpful. Some of those questions have a very, very long stem and the real exam does NOT have stems that are full page long. But it's a nice change up from simply reading the green book which can get boring/unproductive your 3rd or 4th time through.

My actual comlex had stems that were far longer than the comsae forms. I would say on average each question was 6-7 sentences and even counted one that was 14 or 15 sentences long.

My actual comlex had stems that were far longer than the comsae forms. I would say on average each question was 6-7 sentences and even counted one that was 14 or 15 sentences long.

Same. I had a lot of long winded questions on test day. On question banks I was finishing blocks of 50 with 25 min left and on test day I was finishing with 10-15 min left. I really felt they were a lot more worded on the real deal than most of the practice tests. Especially most COMBANK questions.

So, has anyone talked to the NBOME about when the next score release is planned? I was hoping maybe they could give a more set date like they did for the last group.

Nevermind - I just called and they said that for the 6/23 test date we would get our scores the first week in August (she said it would be at least the 6 week mark). :scared:

My response was regarding the practice exams found on the back of Savarese, and not COMSAEs, which is what the poster was asking about.

Nevermind - I just called and they said that for the 6/23 test date we would get our scores the first week in August (she said it would be at least the 6 week mark). :scared:

I took it on the 6/23 too. That's just painful. And considering I barely passed my USMLE (and felt just as crappy after the COMLEX), I can't even focus on my clinicals.

If I were you, I will do those. I mainly studied for USMLE and only did exams in the back of Savarese for COMLEX. I ended up with 710/97. I will say they are very helpful for me.

I took it on the 6/23 too. That's just painful. And considering I barely passed my USMLE (and felt just as crappy after the COMLEX), I can't even focus on my clinicals.
I'm hoping that the woman made a mistake and we actually get them sooner. She didn't sound like she knew, so maybe she just meant to tell me the last possible date that we would get them?

hey vita, our school dont let us start our rotation until we have our passing grade and the last day our school allowed us to sit for the exam was the 27th so i think we should be able to get it before then~

hey vita, our school dont let us start our rotation until we have our passing grade and the last day our school allowed us to sit for the exam was the 27th so i think we should be able to get it before then~
Nah, our school lets us start. They won't pull us from rotations until December if we don't have a passing score.
ETA: There are people not taking it until August now, because they didn't get a 490 on the COMSAEs. I think the July 20th date was just so that they had room to push tests back if they needed to.

Vita:11297935 said:

Whaa? Holy moly I dont want to wait that long. I got my USMLE score back almost a week ago now. Im gonna call and see what they tell me. Im usually not the neurotic type but that is a looong wait!

Whaa? Holy moly I dont want to wait that long. I got my USMLE score back almost a week ago now. Im gonna call and see what they tell me. Im usually not the neurotic type but that is a looong wait!

Do it and let me know what they say!

Just took the comlex today....what a fantastic piece of ****.

Took it today as well, so many questions had more than one correct answer. I ended up writing comments for a couple of the questions. I can't believe how many grammatical mistakes there were on the exam. Also there is no way you can study for most of the ob gyn questions. Same goes for anatomy, I had so much anatomy, must have had a 100 questions just on anatomy, also some bugs I have never even heard of. I hope the curve is good. Sorry guys I M on my iPhone.

Took it today as well, so many questions had more than one correct answer. I ended up writing comments for a couple of the questions. I can't believe how many grammatical mistakes there were on the exam. Also there is no way you can study for most of the ob gyn questions. Same goes for anatomy, I had so much anatomy, must have had a 100 questions just on anatomy, also some bugs I have never even heard of. I hope the curve is good. Sorry guys I M on my iPhone.

I'm sorry to hear that. I had almost no anatomy on my exam and if there was some, it was usually OMM related. Had I had as much as you, I'd probably be praying for a generous curve.

It's a lot of luck it seems, not just in what you get, but also how others do. It's a shame so much is riding on how you roll the dice.

this was my story. took it today and i had lotttss of anatomy. i was like wtheck! definitely no way I could have prepared for the anatomy that was tested today. did you read all of savarese? i was in a crunch so i only crammed for the HY stuff (ie autonomics, iliosacral, etc) so i was thinking maybe the anatomy stuff was in savarese?

also, i agree w/ you. i had lots of bugs that i never heard of and if i did learn about it, it was during class where i didn't pay attention because it wasn't HY (ie it wasn't in First Aid).

Also, agree w/ you about OBGyn. I thought you could only get some of those questions right if you did a OB rotation. otherwise.... how the heck were you supposed to know?

Anyway, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I tried not to let it phase me and tried to answer questions that I did study for. You could study forever and still miss questions. Nature of the beast. You can never study enough .

this was my story. took it today and i had lotttss of anatomy. i was like wtheck! definitely no way I could have prepared for the anatomy that was tested today. did you read all of savarese? i was in a crunch so i only crammed for the HY stuff (ie autonomics, iliosacral, etc) so i was thinking maybe the anatomy stuff was in savarese?

also, i agree w/ you. i had lots of bugs that i never heard of and if i did learn about it, it was during class where i didn't pay attention because it wasn't HY (ie it wasn't in First Aid).

Also, agree w/ you about OBGyn. I thought you could only get some of those questions right if you did a OB rotation. otherwise.... how the heck were you supposed to know?

Anyway, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I tried not to let it phase me and tried to answer questions that I did study for. You could study forever and still miss questions. Nature of the beast. You can never study enough .

ditto. i took mine on monday and also had lots of anatomy. i read through savarese twice and what they asked about wasn't in there. i probably needed netter with me to answer some of those questions (meaning that they probably weren't worth studying for anyways)

also had lots of OBGyn and that was stuff I drilled over and over again (probably read the Repro and Endo sections 6 or 7 times in first aid) since i heard it was heavily emphasized and I still had a hard time answering some of those questions.

and for the micro....I had a lot of gimmes but at the same time I had stuff that was pretty hard. it was everything that I have heard of (currently working on phD in micro) but really didn't think that they'd ask about.

so to sum up the experience: poorly written test that assesses you based on obscure topics or things you haven't really been exposed to before. such an awesome experience...

ditto. i took mine on monday and also had lots of anatomy. i read through savarese twice and what they asked about wasn't in there. i probably needed netter with me to answer some of those questions (meaning that they probably weren't worth studying for anyways)

also had lots of OBGyn and that was stuff I drilled over and over again (probably read the Repro and Endo sections 6 or 7 times in first aid) since i heard it was heavily emphasized and I still had a hard time answering some of those questions.

and for the micro....I had a lot of gimmes but at the same time I had stuff that was pretty hard. it was everything that I have heard of (currently working on phD in micro) but really didn't think that they'd ask about.

so to sum up the experience: poorly written test that assesses you based on obscure topics or things you haven't really been exposed to before. such an awesome experience...

i think these test writers sit in their ivory towers and come up w/ ways to torture us poor medical students who are stressed out as it is just to make themselves feel better. hahaha

but real, it's a sucky test. i think for the USMLE, you know what they want, but what makes the exam hard is that they ask about stuff you should know, but maybe didn't bother to learn. for COMLEX, it's all about being vague.

Last edited:
my test was a month ago and i remember having a lot of anatomy as well. i was shocked at the detail of some of it too. there's no way i could have studied for some of them. it's just too much detailed material from to long ago.

micro had some bugs that werent in FA at all. that was annoying. usually they gave you a clue like "the guy is a bird keeper" but sometimes they didnt and you had to guess what was most common in a list of zebras. yea right, give me a break.

took it today... definitely a beast. stuff you study in first aid is super easy on the test... its the stuff that's NOT in first aid that kills you and suprisingly takes up a good 30-40% of the test... atleast my form did. I've heard people who've gotten other forms not complain so much, so hopefully they grade accordingly.

psudopolyps and cobblestone lesions that are pancolic not skipping - all in the same presentation. What a way to mess with your mind, right?

i think these test writers sit in their ivory towers and come up w/ ways to torture us poor medical students who are stressed out as it is just to make themselves feel better. hahaha

but real, it's a sucky test. i think for the USMLE, you know what they want, but what makes the exam hard is that they ask about stuff you should know, but maybe didn't bother to learn. for COMLEX, it's all about being vague.

lol, seems like me and you had the same exam. I recall a question asking paclitaxel's side effects. None of the answers listed were from FA. I googled the side effects after the exam, and three of the answers listed were potential side effects. Sucky exam as you said.

lol, seems like me and you had the same exam. I recall a question asking paclitaxel's side effects. None of the answers listed were from FA. I googled the side effects after the exam, and three of the answers listed were potential side effects. Sucky exam as you said.

:thumbdown:

ah yes. paclitaxel.... i got that same question. man... hope everything works out