2011-2012 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i know of someone who is declining and another who is still undecided between Duke-NUS and another offer. therefore, there definitely is hope for those of you guys still on the waiting list!! :luck:

I heard that there was an applicant on the waiting list who got accepted just 1 day before class started because someone pulled out suddenly. don't give up hope!

I went to bed with the worst feeling ever, thinking that waitlist meant rejection. Woke up and read this & my day has since turned around. Thanks DrBroker, you made my day : )

Edit: ANDD we're on page 14 O.O

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just to update you guys. The student online group now has 31 members.

Just to update you guys. The student online group now has 31 members.
Thank you for the update! btw, is it mandatory to join the online group? just wondering if it means only 31 people accepted their offers..

Members don't see this ad :)
didn't someone mention they have sent out all acceptances already?

yup, class is not full yet. Not everyone has replied.

I got a rejection email yesterday. Was told we could keep the recommendation letters for next application. Will attempt Mcat again since I think that was my downfall. Is anyone retaking Mcat?

The group has 36 members now but includes some admin staff. Also they just sent the invitation to join so I think not everyone has seen that email or have time to join. Good luck to those still waiting!

Hi can u let me know where's the online grp? :) thanks! I didn't receive the invite.. Or was it tgt with the schedule they sent a while back..

edit/ hahas, okay i got it. thanks for the people who pm-ed me!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I am a re-applicant to Duke-NUS. Applied for 2011 entry in the 'early admissions' cycle with a 31S (12BS, 11PS, 8VR), and a 3.75GPA (Canadian University). Got wait listed and eventually rejected in July. Am an international applicant - was told my VR score was too low. Applied again for 2012 entry - this time in the regular admissions cycle with a 37R (11VR, 13BS, 13PS), interviewed on january 4, and accepted in the first week of february. Am currently teaching the MCAT in Singapore!

Some of my other stats for those of you who are applying (keep going, you will get there!)
One conference paper (Society of Anesthesia and Perinatology),
one paper in organometallics
research at Nanyang Technological Univeristy in anti-neoplastic drug development
Sick Kids Hospital (Toronto) - retrospective study on gabapentin's effects during pregnancy
Shadowed a sex-trade worker to evaluate effectiveness of harm reduction as it pertains to the sex-trade industry (cocaine use, opioid use)
Intramural and Varsity Soccer (Univeristy of Toronto)
President of Student Council (4th year of undergraduate studies)
BSc Hons Pharmacology with 3.75 GPA (Univeristy of Toronto)
Went to United World College of South East Asia (Grad 07)
Canadian Citizen

Have also interviewed at Dartmouth Medical School, Queen's University Medical School, and McMaster Univeristy medical school. Feel blessed to have been accepted in Singapore - this is where I grew up! Am rooting for everyone who has applied - I have seen the dedication and desire in students that I'm currently teaching the MCAT to (most of whom are in their early thirties/mid twenties)!

My advice: Duke-NUS is a fantastic option for students in this region, and I encourage all re-applicants to take a dedicated approach to the MCAT so they don't have to write it more than once. It really sucks! The interview can be an intimidating experience, but persevere! My MCAT score was a shocker and I have been teaching Singaporean students this year for the MCAT and they are all scoring in the early-mid 30's right now after diagnostic scores in the mid 20s. Happy to give tips - shoot me a PM :)

God bless

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I am a re-applicant to Duke-NUS. Applied for 2011 entry in the 'early admissions' cycle with a 31S (12BS, 11PS, 8VR), and a 3.75GPA (Canadian University). Got wait listed and eventually rejected in July. Am an international applicant - was told my VR score was too low. Applied again for 2012 entry - this time in the regular admissions cycle with a 37R (11VR, 13BS, 13PS), interviewed on january 4, and accepted in the first week of february. Am currently teaching the MCAT in Singapore!

Some of my other stats for those of you who are applying (keep going, you will get there!)
One conference paper (Society of Anesthesia and Perinatology),
one paper in organometallics
research at Nanyang Technological Univeristy in anti-neoplastic drug development
Sick Kids Hospital (Toronto) - retrospective study on gabapentin's effects during pregnancy
Shadowed a sex-trade worker to evaluate effectiveness of harm reduction as it pertains to the sex-trade industry (cocaine use, opioid use)
Intramural and Varsity Soccer (Univeristy of Toronto)
President of Student Council (4th year of undergraduate studies)
BSc Hons Pharmacology with 3.75 GPA (Univeristy of Toronto)
Went to United World College of South East Asia (Grad 07)
Canadian Citizen

Have also interviewed at Dartmouth Medical School, Queen's University Medical School, and McMaster Univeristy medical school. Feel blessed to have been accepted in Singapore - this is where I grew up! Am rooting for everyone who has applied - I have seen the dedication and desire in students that I'm currently teaching the MCAT to (most of whom are in their early thirties/mid twenties)!

My advice: Duke-NUS is a fantastic option for students in this region, and I encourage all re-applicants to take a dedicated approach to the MCAT so they don't have to write it more than once. It really sucks! The interview can be an intimidating experience, but persevere! My MCAT score was a shocker and I have been teaching Singaporean students this year for the MCAT and they are all scoring in the early-mid 30's right now after diagnostic scores in the mid 20s. Happy to give tips - shoot me a PM :)

God bless

Where did you interview on January 4? Why was it intimidating for you?

I can see that you have improved your MCAT score tremendously in one year. What is your secret?

Where did you interview on January 4? Why was it intimidating for you?

I can see that you have improved your MCAT score tremendously in one year. What is your secret?

In January I interviewed in Singapore (when I applied for 2011 admissions, I interviewed in Los Angeles) - my suggestion is to interview in Singapore. It's a much better opportunity to get a feeler for the school. It was intimidating because one of the 3 interviewers I had was fairly provocative and antagonistic, a style of interview that I wasn't familiar or used to. In any case - I think the best way to deal with these types of situations is to be confident and back yourself (although many would argue that there are many good ways of dealing with such interviewers!)

I actually wrote my first MCAT (31S) in 2009 (after the end of my second year of undergraduate studies). I wrote my second MCAT 2 years after (2011) after graduating. Secret? I did a prep course - this helped for the only reason that it increased my base of resources and ability to network with others as to what they found useful. I used a variety of resources (not just examcrackers), and was probably also more experienced (2 more years of undergraduate experience).

Noticed your previous comments and I too wish I had found this thread earlier! I had no idea that there was an active forum for duke-nus applications.

As a side-note, still waiting for offers from states/Canada - so where I will be this fall is anyone's guess. Promise to keep wait-listers in the loop. Fingers crossed, stay strong!

Hope that answers your question!

Last edited:
Just to follow up on some of the comments on previous threads, I believe around 60% of the Duke-NUS class is now filled. When I applied last year, I was rejected finally only in late july. So keep your hopes up! If you are on the wait-list, you never know what to expect. My advice: Expect anything, but plan to improve and strengthen your application :) If you write the MCAT in the early summer (june/july), then a less than par score allows you to write it one more time this year so you can apply for 2013 entry.

I know of one candidate who may be wait listed right now, but will be receiving results of his second MCAT by mid june - which might be in time to strengthen his application for the 2012 cycle! So.. plan ahead and allow yourself multiple opportunities to write the MCAT if that is what it will take :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey outsider89,

Thanks for sharing your stats and story with us. Definitely inspiring!! Your stats and extracurriculars are amazing. There is no reason why any med schools wouldn't want you! Congrats on your acceptance!

i just received my rejection letter. still in a state of shock cause of a deal-breaker in my application that i got to know about... somewhat. But the good news is that I think that can be rectified should i choose to reapply.

As for my stats, i think i shared quite awhile ago (you can read if you're interested) at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12220436

i kind of think it has got to do with my referrals though (um. it's kind of complicated). Anyway I asked about referrals in reapplications... and I was told we can choose which referrals to exclude or retain if we re-apply.

My younger brother shared this with me when i was pretty much shattered. And I hope it'll inspire you as well. Take some time to check it out if you haven't came across this?
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/jk_rowling_the_fringe_benefits_of_failure.html

All the best to those of you who're still waiting. perhaps we should start a 2012-2013 forums? :)

OMG sweetsecrets : ( ! That's so unfortunate ... I hope you get those referee situation fixed. I didn't know that referees could be a deal-breaker ! : O (Shocked)

I respect your perseverance, all the best in the next application cycle !

i just received my rejection letter. still in a state of shock cause of a deal-breaker in my application that i got to know about... somewhat. But the good news is that I think that can be rectified should i choose to reapply.

As for my stats, i think i shared quite awhile ago (you can read if you're interested) at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12220436

i kind of think it has got to do with my referrals though (um. it's kind of complicated). Anyway I asked about referrals in reapplications... and I was told we can choose which referrals to exclude or retain if we re-apply.

My younger brother shared this with me when i was pretty much shattered. And I hope it'll inspire you as well. Take some time to check it out if you haven't came across this?

All the best to those of you who're still waiting. perhaps we should start a 2012-2013 forums? :)

Thanks for sharing that, truly an inspiring talk by JK Rowling. It speaks to us applicants about the countless failures we face in pursuing our passion. Thank you sweetsecrets !

I'm sorry to hear that! But the good thing is that you have feedback right? Keep in touch and I think your hard work will be paid off in the end. If you don't mind, what's the deal breaker?

Sorry to hear the bad news....but thanks for the link, that is quite an inspirational speech

hey guys, it's not that i mind sharing. haha. i don't, but um this is kind of like a public forum, and some things are not nice to share on public. I think we should have a mini facebook group. HAHAHA. then we can share things more openly. :)

I'm sorry to hear that! But the good thing is that you have feedback right? Keep in touch and I think your hard work will be paid off in the end. If you don't mind, what's the deal breaker?

yeah keep in touch. i think we can start creating next year's forum. i don't know how to create one. (i'm quite an IT idiot.) shall try to figure it out soon but my exams are (very) near. >< somebody help! lol.

Hey sweet,

Sorry to hear the bad news, but this will only make the future acceptance that much sweeter. If I can get an acceptance after 5 cycles, anyone can. It's only a matter of time, matter of how much you want it. Referees can be a pain in the ass, especially the academic ones. They often will say yes but only write an uninspirsing, generic letter that make the adcom cringe. Next time you need to make it clear that you want an EXCELLENT reference letter. Honestly, if they can't do that, you shouldn't ask them to be your referees because they can only hurt your application. Rejection sucks, it hurts, and it doesn't help when your friends and family may bombard you with questions about your next step. But please don't take this as a sign of failure or incompetenence. Your time will come soon.

Hey sweet,

Sorry to hear the bad news, but this will only make the future acceptance that much sweeter. If I can get an acceptance after 5 cycles, anyone can. It's only a matter of time, matter of how much you want it. Referees can be a pain in the ass, especially the academic ones. They often will say yes but only write an uninspirsing, generic letter that make the adcom cringe. Next time you need to make it clear that you want an EXCELLENT reference letter. Honestly, if they can't do that, you shouldn't ask them to be your referees because they can only hurt your application. Rejection sucks, it hurts, and it doesn't help when your friends and family may bombard you with questions about your next step. But please don't take this as a sign of failure or incompetenence. Your time will come soon.

hey yeah, thanks alot. you're truly inspiring. and anyway... this isn't my first rejection. haha. i retook the entire A'levels just to work on my GP (for which i had a mental block and submitted a half-page essay and therefore flunked it as expected) because the yllsom at NUS didn't allow me to just retake GP alone. my junior college didn't take me back cause i've been accepted at all the local universities, just not medicine. Upon getting my As, somehow the nus system didn't shortlist me and i didn't even get the chance to be interviewed. I ended up in pharmacy because dentistry comes with a bond and wouldn't allow me to pursue post-grad med until about 8 years later, and i've decided upon Duke-NUS then. And come today after working so hard, it has got to do with my referee. But let's just say i think it's worse than an uninspirsing, generic letter. I get the feeling it's worse... somewhat. And therefore i think it's fair to rule me out, because compared to all the other shortlisted candidates with perfect stats and referrals, it's going to be unfair to let me in. So i told myself to accept it with grace. still overwhelmed at all the obstacles thrown at my pursuit for medicine, but i'm humbled by you.

hey yeah, thanks alot. you're truly inspiring. and anyway... this isn't my first rejection. haha. i retook the entire A'levels just to work on my GP (for which i had a mental block and submitted a half-page essay and therefore flunked it as expected) because the yllsom at NUS didn't allow me to just retake GP alone. my junior college didn't take me back cause i've been accepted at all the local universities, just not medicine. Upon getting my As, somehow the nus system didn't shortlist me and i didn't even get the chance to be interviewed. I ended up in pharmacy because dentistry comes with a bond and wouldn't allow me to pursue post-grad med until about 8 years later, and i've decided upon Duke-NUS then. And come today after working so hard, it has got to do with my referee. But let's just say i think it's worse than an uninspirsing, generic letter. I get the feeling it's worse... somewhat. And therefore i think it's fair to rule me out, because compared to all the other shortlisted candidates with perfect stats and referrals, it's going to be unfair to let me in. So i told myself to accept it with grace. still overwhelmed at all the obstacles thrown at my pursuit for medicine, but i'm humbled by you.

Hey there, sorry to hear about your situation. What makes you think the references might be bad? It is scary to think that the people that you ask to vouch for you might be putting you down (since we're not allowed to read the letters anyway) :(

Hey there, sorry to hear about your situation. What makes you think the references might be bad? It is scary to think that the people that you ask to vouch for you might be putting you down (since we're not allowed to read the letters anyway) :(

yeah it is. it makes me worry who are those I can get to be my referees if i want to re-apply, and if i want to start on a clean slate. :X

but hey... it is always easy to blame others for our failure, or blame God, as I always do. But while it is easy to blame it on my referrals that I feel broke the deal, I do acknowledge that there are other areas where I can improve on, such as my MCAT score. It is competitive (I was told), but it would make me an even stronger applicant if I can get a few more points by studying harder without having the need to juggle it with internship or school. And as much as I'm not a bootlicker, not even a moderate pleaser to say the least, I should have taken the initiative to build relationships with my potential referees. It's in my character (that i'm not a pleaser), and for this I will stay true to myself. I will however, perhaps try to update my referees more regularly this time round (especially since i'm graduating and leaving school) so that they can know me better as a person? And very importantly, choose them wisely.

Last edited:
yeah it is. it makes me worry who are those I can get to be my referees if i want to re-apply, and if i want to start on a clean slate. :X

but hey... it is always easy to blame others for our failure, or blame God, as I always do. But while it is easy to blame it on my referrals that I feel broke the deal, I do acknowledge that there are other areas where I can improve on, such as my MCAT score. It is competitive (I was told), but it would make me an even stronger applicant if I can get a few more points by studying harder without having the need to juggle it with internship or school. And as much as I'm not a bootlicker, not even a moderate pleaser to say the least, I should have taken the initiative to build relationships with my potential referees. It's in my character (that i'm not a pleaser), and for this I will stay true to myself. I will however, perhaps try to update my referees more regularly this time round (especially since i'm graduating and leaving school) so that they can know me better as a person? And very importantly, choose them wisely.

Thanks for the advice! Any plan after this?

Thanks for the advice! Any plan after this?

yes i do. :) i had a couple of requests to try again. haha. i plan on working full-time at an NGO based in the philippines (i've always been an active volunteer, and this is kind of my thing), i also enquired about assignments with the mountain trust, and doctors without borders. basically i will see where life takes me, re-do my MCAT and work on areas of my application if i can, especially the referees part? are you applying for the next intake? :)

i can also choose to do my registration as a pharmacist (and keep renewing my license even as a doctor). but to keep my name on the register down the road requires me to pay money every year or 2 (when you renew your practicing certificate). :X so... prolly not? cause i'm not exactly that well to do, unfortunately. :X

yes i do. :) i had a couple of requests to try again. haha. i plan on working full-time at an NGO based in the philippines (i've always been an active volunteer, and this is kind of my thing), i also enquired about assignments with the mountain trust, and doctors without borders. basically i will see where life takes me, re-do my MCAT and work on areas of my application if i can, especially the referees part? are you applying for the next intake? :)

i can also choose to do my registration as a pharmacist (and keep renewing my license even as a doctor). but to keep my name on the register down the road requires me to pay money every year or 2 (when you renew your practicing certificate). :X so... prolly not? cause i'm not exactly that well to do, unfortunately. :X

That's very similar to my plan! I can feel that I'm going to be rejected too. How do you join doctor without borders? Aren't you required to be a medical student, at least? I am looking at the prospect of joining the red cross. :laugh:

That's very similar to my plan! I can feel that I'm going to be rejected too. How do you join doctor without borders? Aren't you required to be a medical student, at least? I am looking at the prospect of joining the red cross. :laugh:

i did a degree in pharmacy. so, in that sense maybe i'm at an edge. i'm not registered yet though. but i'm looking at their internships. you can google it. :)

red cross is great. i am a certified first aider from there and have contacts if you want to volunteer. mainly they do blood donation drives and standby first aiders for major events like marathons and stuff. :)

i did a degree in pharmacy. so, in that sense maybe i'm at an edge. i'm not registered yet though. but i'm looking at their internships. you can google it. :)

red cross is great. i am a certified first aider from there and have contacts if you want to volunteer. mainly they do blood donation drives and standby first aiders for major events like marathons and stuff. :)

lol yeah I probably should get cpr+first aid certified. I am thinking of joining the international red cross and serve in other countries. if that doesn't work, there's always engineer without borders :laugh:

ps. where do you serve for red cross?

lol yeah I probably should get cpr+first aid certified. I am thinking of joining the international red cross and serve in other countries. if that doesn't work, there's always engineer without borders :laugh:

ps. where do you serve for red cross?

oh no... i don't serve in red cross. i do more overseas community aid. hmm, but i supposed the one in sg serve locally? you need to be a registered doctor, nurse or paramedic to go for disaster relief. yup. are you from sg?

oh no... i don't serve in red cross. i do more overseas community aid. hmm, but i supposed the one in sg serve locally? you need to be a registered doctor, nurse or paramedic to go for disaster relief. yup. are you from sg?

Aah ok, I'm underqalified. I'm not from singapore btw. but my homeland is like next to it. I'm just praying everyday that I don't have to go back to that nasty place ever again. :xf:

Aah ok, I'm underqalified. I'm not from singapore btw. but my homeland is like next to it. I'm just praying everyday that I don't have to go back to that nasty place ever again. :xf:

nasty place? :X there're alot of options you know. not just red cross. you are welcome to pm me your questions and i see how i can direct you to organizations you may find an interest in volunteering at? :)

Hi Everyone,

I've received a lot of questions regarding how to improve VR scores - I figured I would respond on the forum so that anyone who comes across this post can winnow through my response to find what works for them, and what is superfluous.

While I am a Canadian and did my undergraduate education at the University of Toronto, I recognize now (After teaching VR and MCAT in singapore for the last 4 months) that there are a variety of similar types of mistakes that people in Singapore make (you haven't had the same training).

1) EVERYONE (and i mean pretty much everyone) in America or Canada takes a prep course when preparing for their MCAT. I don't know many people who have got above a 30 without taking a prep course...

2) Verbal Reasoning:
a) Read articles on the economist as well as on other websites with 'wordy' or 'nonsensical' articles. Try to summarize the 'main idea' at the end of every passage you've studied. Who is the author? Why did they write the article you are reading (if it is so boring, then why would they write it!)? What is their purpose? What are their opinions (if any) on the issue they are writing about?

b) Underline names, dates, and definitions. Try to avoid underlining or highlighting excessively.

c) Don't use exam crackers! Try to use princeton review + Kaplan - those are my suggestions (as well as the Elite 45 Princeton Review book)

d) When looking at questions - try to assess what type of question it is (very quickly). Is it a 'go find the facts' question, or is it an 'inference' question. If the question simply asks you to find details/facts, then go back to the passage. If the passage is asking you to infer, then try to keep in mind the 'main idea' when looking at the answer choices - you needn't refer to the passage at all!

e) Stay away from extreme answer choices - choices that include the words 'all' or 'every' or 'always' - these are rarely correct. Only take these options (the more extreme options, if you will) when the question is phrased as 'which of the following most strengthens or weakens the author's argument that...'

I know that a lot of these tips can be found in prep books etc - a lot of students ignore them and just resort to their old (primary school, middle school) methods of critical reading. For the MCAT, you have to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and really put yourself in a situation that is discomforting and requires discipline. Do one passage every day. Read a tough article and summarize it every day. It is the odd things, the things that push you above and beyond your comfort zone (i.e. secondary school method of reading comprehension) that will improve your score in VR to 10 and above.

Hope this helps :)

Hmm not that many people take a prep course actually, not in Vancouver at least, and it's certainly possible to get above 30 without a prep course, but be prepared to do ALOT of practice exams. I personally think that's the key. MCAT is not about pure memorization - it's about applying the knowledge to the questions, and you need practice for that. I suppose outsider is mainly talking about verbal, but I'm talking about MCAT in general. I got above 30 by doing practice questions over and over again without a prep course, but be prepared to put in the hard work.

c) Don't use exam crackers! Try to use princeton review + Kaplan - those are my suggestions (as well as the Elite 45 Princeton Review book)

Can you please elaborate on this? I have been using EK in addition to my Kaplan's. I found that Kaplan uses way too much mumbo jumbo on techniques and all that, and many on this forum actually recommended EK 101.

EDIT: I have a question for all of you who have applied to Duke-NUS. Does any of you have transfer credits from a different university? Do I need to calculate these grades into my final GPA?

Last edited:
Outsider89, thank you so much for sharing with us your techniques. Really appreciate it! :)

Like I said - prep courses are useful for VR, but I scored a 12BS and 11PS when I wrote my first MCAT without a prep course (and only using EK). Doing a Prep course and using Kaplan + Princeton Review (and putting in the hours, as keepontrying put it) pushed up my score to 13BS and 13PS, and from 8VR to 11VR. I can honestly say - from 31S to a 37R - I don't know many people who get above a 31/32 without a prep course. But a 30/31/32 MCAT score is DEFINITELY possible without a Prep course (and will get you to the interview stage at duke-nus in *most* cases)**. It's just that students find it difficult to do well in VR without a prep course. Just my experience while teaching the MCAT in Singapore and Canada. Of course, winnow through this to decide what will work best for you :)

**as application years roll on, average MCAT score for accepted applicants at Duke-NUS has gone up to a 33, and is rising. (33 was for AY2011, I wouldn't be surprised if it is closer to 34 for AY2012)

Last edited:
Can you please elaborate on this? I have been using EK in addition to my Kaplan's. I found that Kaplan uses way too much mumbo jumbo on techniques and all that, and many on this forum actually recommended EK 101.

EK is *good* for Sciences, poor for VR (in my experience, and those of others I have spoken to) I don't encourage it to students that I teach in Singapore. I'm no expert, but I would encourage you to use a variety of resources for the VR section, and find what works for you (i.e. use PR, kaplan, just not EK).

I find that EK makes you over-think certain types of questions which is a little unnecessary.

EDIT: I have a question for all of you who have applied to Duke-NUS. Does any of you have transfer credits from a different university? Do I need to calculate these grades into my final GPA?

Yes, if those courses are part of your degree. I got mine calculated into my final GPA.

Like I said - prep courses are useful for VR,

Outsider89, I used Princeton Review, but it didn't help my VR. All of my friends have been finding that you can't really get "taught" VR - ie. none of their prep courses helped them on VR. For the other sections, I agree with you outsider89, those prep courses definitely helped! There's also those small proportion of people who are self-learners that still do well without one - but typically still have friends who took a prep course to be able to use the same resources that are available (tpr/kaplan/aamc tests).

I guess for VR they can teach you those "types of questions to look out for", or what to highlight, etc., but my teacher, who scored 14 on VR didn't even use those techniques... =.= I really think it's one of those things you build up from childhood, those innate speed reading skills you get from reading lots of books. Thus, I've recently come to conclude that for VR, it's either you get it or you don't.

Thoughts?

Also, let me share some of my experience with the MCAT.

I took it in Jan. 2011 and got a 31P (PS14 VR8 BS9). I remember I felt great about the VR but horribly about the BS. I didn't expect to get this high PS score. I remember that one was hard, and it was nothing like the AAMC practice tests. But I scored in my AAMC practice score ranges.

I retook it in Jan. 2012 hoping to improve my BS score. I felt great about the PS part: I thought it was much easier that the one I took last time, but horribly about VR and BS. In VR I ran out of time and had to guess on the last passage. I got a 33P this time (PS12 VR9 BS12) and I was happy with the BS part but kind of dissapointed with PS. I really hope Duke-NUS can add up the highest sub-score :)

But the two MCATs I took were both very different from what was on the AAMC website. Especially for BS, I think now it is more passage analyzing than memorizing knowledge. Most of the questions can be answered from the passage, and I felt like the BS section was another VR section for me. So your reading ability is very very important in MCAT.

Anyway, hope this helps. It seems that they accept quite a lot re-applicants. I am sure MCAT is important but it is only a small part of the application. I think there is not much difference between someone with 31 MCAT and someone with a 33 (I believe scoring above 35 really helps!) assuming their GPAs are both good. I think grades and the MCAT only tell the admission how well you can handle the rigorous course, but your attitude and personality towards medicine is also important. I also see that a lot of people accepted posting on this forum have research publications, so I assume research is also very very important? Assuming grades are acceptable, I think extensive resesarch experience can make someone stand out?

i have a research publication in APJCO... and i didn't get it. my grades are acceptable too. so i think it's alot more than these. :) don't worry. if anything i think the whole idea about research is the process, not the end-product (publications or not).

So...since this forum is so quiet...

How many on the official group now?