2010-2011 University of Massachusetts Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not alone........mid march I, no response. gunna b a tough weekend 4 us. maybe a third waitlist round? but i doubt it. funny thing is - i haven't heard word about anyone who interviewed mid march who was accepted. true for others out there?

Members don't see this ad.

is that how it works now? as waitlists are going out they are in the order that people are on the actual waitlist... ? and have all first round acceptances been given out already?

is that how it works now? as waitlists are going out they are in the order that people are on the actual waitlist... ? and have all first round acceptances been given out already?
I wish, but no. the waitlist is not ranked

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed in December. All hopes crushed at this point.

Congrats to all those waitlisted!

How do they decide who to accept off the wait list then? lottery?

I called last week and they said that when a spot opens up, they review all of the WL files and decide who gets it.

Does anybody know approx. how many people get waitlisted?

How many people in the forum still waiting to hear from UMass reagrding any decision?

How many people in the forum still waiting to hear from UMass reagrding any decision?

Sorry, I answered my own question. I saw prior years' threads and people get waitlisted and admitted well into mid May.

Hey, this question is directed towards any current student. I am wondering about what UMass students generally do in the summers between first and second year. Are there lots of opportunities for paid research or other applicable jobs?

Thanks!

Hey, this question is directed towards any current student. I am wondering about what UMass students generally do in the summers between first and second year. Are there lots of opportunities for paid research or other applicable jobs?

Thanks!

As first years, we're all going through this now! It doesn't seem like there's a typical summer- I have friends who are getting married and taking the summer off, some that are working through school programs and staying in Worcester, and some heading abroad via funding for most of the summer. That does seem to be a popular choice, as it's pretty easy to get funded to work/language study abroad (Especially through the Multicultural Pathway, which you guys will hear about, but really anyone can get funding!)

As for paid research, etc: Aside from finding research projects on your own (which is very do-able, with lots of funding opportunities), there are 2 main programs that students apply through. One is a service-learning program, which includes placements working in different agencies or clinics, or things of that nature. It's shorter but not really research-based, though projects can come out of it. The other is for research- anything from clinical to bench, with a published list of available projects. Both of these are funded! It seems that everyone who is interested in a project/program will get funded, but I don't know for sure.

From talking to second years, it seems like anything or nothing is a good option! Traveling, working, research, or lounging around. But there are plenty of opportunities!

P.S. COME TO SECOND LOOK! :)

As first years, we're all going through this now! It doesn't seem like there's a typical summer- I have friends who are getting married and taking the summer off, some that are working through school programs and staying in Worcester, and some heading abroad via funding for most of the summer. That does seem to be a popular choice, as it's pretty easy to get funded to work/language study abroad (Especially through the Multicultural Pathway, which you guys will hear about, but really anyone can get funding!)

As for paid research, etc: Aside from finding research projects on your own (which is very do-able, with lots of funding opportunities), there are 2 main programs that students apply through. One is a service-learning program, which includes placements working in different agencies or clinics, or things of that nature. It's shorter but not really research-based, though projects can come out of it. The other is for research- anything from clinical to bench, with a published list of available projects. Both of these are funded! It seems that everyone who is interested in a project/program will get funded, but I don't know for sure.

From talking to second years, it seems like anything or nothing is a good option! Traveling, working, research, or lounging around. But there are plenty of opportunities!

Wow, thanks for the helpful info. I'm wicked excited!!

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way of obtaining UMMS's Match List for this year?

Yeah Bulldog, I can email it to you if you want to PM me

our 4th years did really well, makes me feel like I have a bit too much to live up to

Does anybody know approx. how many people get waitlisted?
If you call, they will not tell you. But it has been estimated from previous threads to be somewhere between 100-150. I know that range sucks, I want to know, too.

EDIT: Also, I have heard that 50-60 typically get off the WL

Last edited:
You are not alone........mid march I, no response. gunna b a tough weekend 4 us. maybe a third waitlist round? but i doubt it. funny thing is - i haven't heard word about anyone who interviewed mid march who was accepted. true for others out there?

Do you happen to know if anyone who interviewed mid-March has been notified with any decision?

If you call, they will not tell you. But it has been estimated from previous threads to be somewhere between 100-150. I know that range sucks, I want to know, too.

EDIT: Also, I have heard that 50-60 typically get off the WL

from what i've heard, about half the class is from the waitlist. i could be overestimating, but it's a lot compared to other medical schools. if you're on the waitlist at umass, you're in decent shape. lots of students hope to be on the waitlist (something i learned last year when being on the waitlist). definitely send those intent letters, it definitely doesn't hurt!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0[/YOUTUBE]
:xf: for something. good luck everyone

Last edited:
Hi

Do you think theres any hope for those who haven't heard anything and interviewed early to mid march? There being any news today and looking at previous years this looked like it would be a pretty busy week. Do you think that this is due to the Holiday weekend and do you think there will be alot of rejections acceptances/waitlists next week?

Has anyone who has heard already gotten their message in the mail instead of receiving an email? thanks for any comment or thoughts.

Last edited:
Hi

Do you think theres any hope for those who haven't heard anything and interviewed early to mid march? There being any news today and looking at previous years this looked like it would be a pretty busy week. Do you think that this is due to the Holiday weekend and do you think there will be alot of rejections acceptances/waitlists next week?

Has anyone who has heard already gotten their message in the mail instead of receiving an email? thanks for any comment or thoughts.
Absolutely. From past years it looks like they give out waitlists on more than one friday in April: some early in the month, and some later in the month. Doesn't sound like any news went out today, so it looks like we're onto the next one, or the one after that. Typically rejections don't go out until may, so most likely WL, maybe a few acceptances in one of the coming April Fridays. Just a guess based on skimming the 08-09 and 09-10 threads, though

Absolutely. From past years it looks like they give out waitlists on more than one friday in April: some early in the month, and some later in the month. Doesn't sound like any news went out today, so it looks like we're onto the next one, or the one after that. Typically rejections don't go out until may, so most likely WL, maybe a few acceptances in one of the coming April Fridays. Just a guess based on skimming the 08-09 and 09-10 threads, though

Thanks for reply!!!

When you say acceptances, do you mean acceptances off the waitlist or straight up acceptances? In previous years, have they ever sent out acceptances without a waitlist this late in the game?

Summary from last year's application thread

Wait list
-------------
Fri April 2nd
Squirrel89
Holyhekshler
Mia9
Murdoc 9
anna01106

Fri April 9th
CZiino
friend of EnginDoc
pbrancale

Tues April 13th
Rose123410

Wed April 14th
mariposa87

Fri April 16th
ntad*

Thurs April 22nd
JClass413
Pmy8811
noshowl

Acceptances
-------------------
Wed April 21st
CZiino
holyhekshler

Wed April 28th
Murdoc 9

Tues May 11th
Squirrel89
Pmy8811
Bailey621
isabellarcher**

Tues May 18th
senshisky
pbrancale

Thur June 3rd
Mariposa87

Thur June 10th
anna01106

Rejections
--------------------
Mon April 26th
tantacles
LJTibbs
MSB2010

Tues April 27th
Suenya
catswym
partinerns
vinniekan
apf419
EnginDoc
UWBadger24
ThePrince
JDiver

Only using last year as a model and assuming that last year's Fri April 2nd and Fri April 9th is this year's Fri April 8th and Friday April 15th, I predict the following:

1st round of acceptances off the wait list - Wed April 27th
last round of wait list notifications - Thurs April 28th
rejections - Mon May 2nd and Tues May 3rd
next round of acceptances off the wait list - Wed May 4th

because of the May 15th deadline, I don't think the other rounds of acceptances will be pushed back a week so:

next round of acceptances off the wait list - Tues May 10th
next round of acceptances off the wait list - Tues May 17th

Now, this is all of course just a guess based off the information from last year thread on SDN. The pattern might have already been broken because no one posted being wait listed this past week.

With regard to acceptances off the wait list vs regular acceptances, based off of last year's thread nearly everyone who was accepted in April or May was wait listed first. The only one that was unclear was Bailey621. I think that isabellarcher was probably wait listed based off another post.

However, I could imagine a scenario though where the adcom is meeting to choose people to wait list and people to accept. They choose someone to wait list and later on that same day choose to accept that person too from the wait list. So they were technically accepted off the wait list, but since it would be silly to send a wait list notice, wait for the person to reply yes I want to be wait listed, and then send them the acceptance. The adcom, instead would would just notify the person of a regular acceptance, and that person has no idea that they were technically wait listed by the committee first and then accepted that same day.

Best of luck everyone!

*Note: ntad does mention being interviewed 3/9, I didn't look at interview dates but I know some people who interviewed in March being curious about this

**Note: isabellarcher was probably accepted on Tuesday May 11th, but didn't make a "I was accepted today" post, but rather "I was accepted last week."

hmmm. that's getting very specific. I don't know if we can assume any of that. I was just saying that in past years, some things happen at the beginning of april, and some at the end. since something happened on the 9th this year, something might happen at the end, i.e this friday? for some reason they have been sending everything out on fridays. and yes, last year's april and may acceptances came off the WL. However, clearly less than 1/3 of umass applicants are posting on this thread, so we can't make assumptions. I'm sure some people will get accepted, which I think was the case in the 08-09 thread. So to all of you who are still waiting, good luck and stay hopeful

hmmm. that's getting very specific. I don't know if we can assume any of that. I was just saying that in past years, some things happen at the beginning of april, and some at the end. since something happened on the 9th this year, something might happen at the end, i.e this friday? for some reason they have been sending everything out on fridays. and yes, last year's april and may acceptances came off the WL. However, clearly less than 1/3 of umass applicants are posting on this thread, so we can't make assumptions. I'm sure some people will get accepted, which I think was the case in the 08-09 thread. So to all of you who are still waiting, good luck and stay hopeful

Maybe they will break the Friday trend and tell us earlier since this Friday is the royal wedding? :T

bachelor party for my buddy trumps second look weekend

Only using last year as a model and assuming that last year's Fri April 2nd and Fri April 9th is this year's Fri April 8th and Friday April 15th, I predict the following:

1st round of acceptances off the wait list - Wed April 27th
last round of wait list notifications - Thurs April 28th
rejections - Mon May 2nd and Tues May 3rd
next round of acceptances off the wait list - Wed May 4th

next round of acceptances off the wait list - Tues May 10th
next round of acceptances off the wait list - Tues May 17th

looks right so far seeing Ride Big Sky's acceptance above.

Rejected from MD/PhD and MD programs today. That hurts UMass, that hurts...

Oh well, I have an acceptance so it's not as devastating as it could have been. Congrats to the acceptees! :thumbup:

congrats ride big sky!!

i hope you guys are excited for second look!!!! our second-look committee (all MS1s) has been working really hard to make it a good one, so be prepared!

Last edited:
accepted off waitlist today

Oh wow congrats!!!

Do you guys think they open the files whenever someone withdraws? Since it's no longer Friday-notification only? But how would the committee be so prompt to get together at any notice...?

Status
Not open for further replies.