2010-2011 Rush Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have any idea when they meet or how often they meet to give out acceptances? Any idea how long the wait is post interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Do any of you guys know whether Rush is still giving out interview invites? Been complete since late August...

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of you guys know whether Rush is still giving out interview invites? Been complete since late August...

im pretty sure that they interview through the end of march, and possibly into april. i was invited to interview exactly one week before my interview date, so i suppose its possible to be invited up until mid-late march. good luck guys!

I had a friend last year who got an invite the first or second week of March to interview the last week of March

Yes, I was complete around 10/15 and just got an interview invite for tomorrow. They're still giving out interview invites.

Yes, I was complete around 10/15 and just got an interview invite for tomorrow. They're still giving out interview invites.

Does RUSH invite for interviews via email? snailmail? or telephone?

Their admissions office doesn't have a phone number. You can only contact them by email. But if I remember correctly from last year's thread, they invite the last batch in early March.

How long do you get to study for the USMLE?

We get 36 days this year which is much more than enough. Most people take it after 3 or 4 weeks because of burn out. It might not sound like a lot but it's definitely enough

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi fishsticks,

I'm currently try to decide between Rush and the University of Iowa and a major factor that keeps coming up is the area in which Rush is located. I've heard of students that don't enjoy the school because of the area--I think this is a bit silly, but of course I have to worry about it in my decision process. I've heard great things about lincoln park, but would the commute take very long/would it be hard to get to Rush from that far out?

Thanks!

P.S. Any other sort of decision help would be greatly appreciated anyone :)

I am currently an M2 here. Lots of people life in lincoln park, bucktown, wicker park and around the school. I live downtown this year but last year I lived in center court. I thought it was pretty good living there, lots of restaurants on Taylor street and a couple bars. Lincoln park is definitely do-able. Some people live much further than that. Good luck in your decision :)

I am currently an M2 here. Lots of people life in lincoln park, bucktown, wicker park and around the school. I live downtown this year but last year I lived in center court. I thought it was pretty good living there, lots of restaurants on Taylor street and a couple bars. Lincoln park is definitely do-able. Some people live much further than that. Good luck in your decision :)
I went to UIC for undergrad and I lived pretty close to Rush. As abmd mentioned, Taylor street is a lot of fun. But I want to add that safety should not be one of your concerns. There is very little crime in that area. I used to be outside really late and feel very safe. When you're looking for an apartment, I would suggest you stay away from areas south of Pilsen or past Western. Idk much about University of Iowa--or where exactly it's located, but I would assume Chicago is a much nicer place to live than any city in Iowa.

I went to UIC for undergrad and I lived pretty close to Rush. As abmd mentioned, Taylor street is a lot of fun. But I want to add that safety should not be one of your concerns. There is very little crime in that area. I used to be outside really late and feel very safe. When you're looking for an apartment, I would suggest you stay away from areas south of Pilsen or past Western. Idk much about University of Iowa--or where exactly it's located, but I would assume Chicago is a much nicer place to live than any city in Iowa.

I also went to UIC undergrad, and completely disagree with the statement that safety should not be a concern. There were always crime alerts in the area and there were many times I did not feel as safe as I wanted. It was a great place to live, however, and if you are smart about it, there is no problem with the area.

Ask to be transferred to the medical school admissions office:

(312) 942-7100

:)

Ask to be transferred to the medical school admissions office:

(312) 942-7100

:)

hahaha how surprised were they to hear from an applicant on the phone? Silly Rush, trying to dodge pre-med neuroticism :laugh:. Still hoping for chance to check this school out.... been complete since august! Yikes...

I also went to UIC undergrad, and completely disagree with the statement that safety should not be a concern. There were always crime alerts in the area and there were many times I did not feel as safe as I wanted. It was a great place to live, however, and if you are smart about it, there is no problem with the area.

i think you have to be careful in any neighborhood in chicago. when i lived in lincoln park, there were muggings and assaults all of the time. my best friend was robbed twice while walking down fullerton... and lincoln park is a "safer" neighborhood. no matter where you live you have to be smart! when in doubt, TAKE A CAB.

Have they cashed anyone's deposit yet? I got the email that they received it and that there might be a delay until the end of January, but they still haven't cashed it.

A called a few months back. They were cordial and helpful. :)

I also agree. safety is a concern whereever you are in Chicago or any big city for that matter. I went to Northwestern for undergrad in Evanston. One street west of the main street of northwestern there were frequent attacks etc. but that didn't stop us from going out. Just don't go out by yourself, be smart, travel in groups. Rush also has security that can drive you to and from school up to a certain distance which is pretty nice in winter.

Have they cashed anyone's deposit yet? I got the email that they received it and that there might be a delay until the end of January, but they still haven't cashed it.
I just got my deposit check cashed today.

Does anyone know if/when there is an accepted student second look day?

I spoke with someone that said it's tentatively planned for April 29th, but an official invitation will eventually come out. And I think it's for those who have been waitlisted too.

Is this school still giving out invites? Been complete since late August...

I know I've personally given up hope but I'm OOS and complete a lot later. :(

dont give up! i got an interview invite today (at 2:45am!?). my app was complete in med-sept....

dont give up! i got an interview invite today (at 2:45am!?). my app was complete in med-sept....

Congrats. Are you in-state? I was complete on Sep 27, so hopefully will hear back in the near future too.

Congrats. Still though my complete date was after September.

I'm going to be in Chicago late March for a UIC interview. Anyone know if they'd accept an "I'll be in the area...just sayin'..." email? Honestly it seems like the last thing that would work but I hear about it a lot.

Got an interview invite this morning rather unexpectedly. :) Complete late August. Anyone know whether there are still open slots or if this would be for the waitlist?

Got an interview invite this morning rather unexpectedly. :) Complete late August. Anyone know whether there are still open slots or if this would be for the waitlist?

Soooo jealous. :smuggrin: Haha, good luck!

I interviewed Feb 9. It was a great interview day, and one thing they were big on was not inviting interviewers just for waitlist spots. They only offer enough interview spots as they have seats in the class. That is why they do not post many open interview days--they wait to see how full the class is. What they told me was that everyone at the interview day has the possibility of being accepted. That said, good luck!

Just found out I was accepted earlier this afternoon. This is my first acceptance at my top choice school, so I am very excited. As you can tell, I'm OOS, so this will be my first experience with living in Chicago. I can't wait to meet the rest of my incoming class. Any idea how much the deposit will be? Any other important dates to know about?

Soooo jealous. :smuggrin: Haha, good luck!

:oops: Thanks; I'll try not to let you down. ;) Looks like you still have a few open applications? Best of luck to you as well!

I interviewed Feb 9. It was a great interview day, and one thing they were big on was not inviting interviewers just for waitlist spots. They only offer enough interview spots as they have seats in the class. That is why they do not post many open interview days--they wait to see how full the class is. What they told me was that everyone at the interview day has the possibility of being accepted. That said, good luck!

Fabulous info. Thank you!

Just found out I was accepted earlier this afternoon. This is my first acceptance at my top choice school, so I am very excited. As you can tell, I'm OOS, so this will be my first experience with living in Chicago. I can't wait to meet the rest of my incoming class. Any idea how much the deposit will be? Any other important dates to know about?
Congrats! The deposit is $100. And there is a second look towards the end of April. You'll get more info by email.

Hey everyone,

I just got my acceptance letter last week. I'm sending my deposit tomorrow. I'm from California and kinda dreading the cold winter lol. I was very impressed with the school when I interviewed. Everyone at the school seems so.... Happy. It was weird lol.

This is my second choice and I am still waiting on one more acceptance (my undergraduate institution), but if that falls through I'm glad I got into such a good school. Good luck to everyone else.

I spoke to a student on the admissions committee and he said they keep accepting pretty late, however, if you get on the waiting list you have almost no chance of coming off of it. Most likely because they have such a long interview window.

Hey everyone,

I just got my acceptance letter last week. I'm sending my deposit tomorrow. I'm from California and kinda dreading the cold winter lol. I was very impressed with the school when I interviewed. Everyone at the school seems so.... Happy. It was weird lol.

This is my second choice and I am still waiting on one more acceptance (my undergraduate institution), but if that falls through I'm glad I got into such a good school. Good luck to everyone else.

I spoke to a student on the admissions committee and he said they keep accepting pretty late, however, if you get on the waiting list you have almost no chance of coming off of it. Most likely because they have such a long interview window.

Congrats on your acceptance! I just wanted to throw in that at my interview day they mentioned that in the past they had not made any use of the wait list but they are hoping to do so this year. Apparently they have cut down on the total number interviewed and kept it around 300 (if I remember correctly) and they were planning to accept around 200 for a class size of 128.

Hope that helps anyone who is still waiting to hear back.

Interview invite this morning for one of the last two interview days

ID3, do you mind sharing y our stats? and when were you complete?

ID3, do you mind sharing y our stats? and when were you complete?

35K, 3.8 sGPA, complete in early August. I'm also a non-trad student, originally an electrical engineer.

Yay! I remember you from the MSU thread. Glad to see another good midwest school recognized your abilities. :)

Yea! I think I am a perfect example as to why the writing sample on the MCAT is a complete and utter joke, a K is the 0.3 percentile and while it may have disqualified me at some schools (MSU?) it won't keep me from going to a good medical school.

Last edited:
Interview invite this morning! Very unexpected this late in the season - the 2 dates available were March 23rd and 30th. Selected the 30th, as the 23rd was already taken. Best of luck to everyone!

Interview invite this morning! Very unexpected this late in the season - the 2 dates available were March 23rd and 30th. Selected the 30th, as the 23rd was already taken. Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats. When was your application complete?

wow! Congrats! I'm still hoping for an interview here... I actually live in Chicago and would love a chance at Rush :)
Too bad they accept no updates/ letters... I could have written so much lol!
Here's to an invite for the rest of us waiting! ;)

Just got the letter from Dr. Deutsch, so excited! I interviewed Feb 16. Good luck to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.