2010-2011 Marshall University (Edwards) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I received my acceptance call around 8pm today, very excited!! Good luck to everyone who applied :D

Members don't see this ad.

I received my call around 8:55pm tonight! Good luck to the rest of the applicants and congrats to the others that have been accepted!

what were your stats? are you instate? when did you apply? when did you interview?

In-state, secondary completed beginning of sept, 28 mcat, 3.7 gpa undergrad, graduate work, interviewed and accepted oct 27th

congrats everyone!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on HOLD! Whoohoo!

what were your stats? Whats their view of students with MCAT below 30-what if you also have an expired MCAT of 35?

How about GPA below 3.0 but grad GPA of 3.9 (non-science)?

I received my call around 8:55pm tonight! (Nov 2) Good luck to the rest of the applicants and congrats to the others that have been accepted!

Hi,

I received an acceptance call also on Nov. 2. Have you received the formal letter in mail yet? Does anyone have a similar date? Thanks.

I haven't received my letter yet either and I received my phone call on Nov. 2 also.

I haven't received my letter yet either and I received my phone call on Nov. 2 also.

Some medical schools only allow two weeks to accept an written offer for admission. A missing mail may create a problem. I would appreciate it if anyone posts a message when he/she has received a formal letter (who received an acceptance call around Nov. 2).

How long does it usually take for the formal letter?

Thanks.

Some medical schools only allow two weeks to accept an written offer for admission. A missing mail may create a problem. I would appreciate it if anyone posts a message when he/she has received a formal letter (who received an acceptance call around Nov. 2).

How long does it usually take for the formal letter?

Thanks.
I received my phone call in mid-october and haven't received a letter, though I "accepted" the offer on the phone...

You can always call Ms. Warren and ask... I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

Sarah

I know its a bit early, but has anyone decided to attend/not attend Marshall?

Can anyone tell me where the 3rd and 4th years take place? Are they floating through WV or in specific locations?

i have pretty much decided to stay in Huntington to go to Marshall since I have been a grad student. This could change but it would take something big.

Can anyone tell me where the 3rd and 4th years take place? Are they floating through WV or in specific locations?

As far as I know they take place at Cabell Hospital but you can go other places for rotations and such.

Members don't see this ad :)
@arch: I've also pretty much decided to attend here (99%)??

@overfloater: 3rd and 4th years take place at marshall, with the exception of your 2(?) required "rural rotations". I think you get some of a choice for this, and housing at these locations is either provided by the institution at which you're working or by MUSOM.

Hope this helps!

@arch: I've also pretty much decided to attend here (99%)??

@overfloater: 3rd and 4th years take place at marshall, with the exception of your 2(?) required "rural rotations". I think you get some of a choice for this, and housing at these locations is either provided by the institution at which you're working or by MUSOM.

Hope this helps!

Why did you pick Marshall over WVU (since you said you also got accepted there), if you don't mind my asking?

Why did you pick Marshall over WVU (since you said you also got accepted there), if you don't mind my asking?
Several reasons, here are a few:

1) I'm originally from Charleston and I've been OOS for undergrad, so it would be nice to be close to my family

2) MUSOM really bent over backwards to accommodate my interview (WVU wouldn't budge at all, and I didn't want to buy two sets of plane tickets).

3) During my interviews at both schools, I got the impression that WVU cared a lot about it's institution but that Marshall cared about it's students... Personally, I rank the school that cares for it's students higher. I also think that MUSOM would be more willing to accommodate things like research schedules while a student, etc.

Are you choosing between the two as well??

Interview- Nov 9th Acceptance letter received yesterday! :thumbup: Are any accepted females looking for roommates? I don't have facebook but you can email me at [email protected] if you're interested.:)

3) During my interviews at both schools, I got the impression that WVU cared a lot about it's institution but that Marshall cared about it's students... Personally, I rank the school that cares for it's students higher. I also think that MUSOM would be more willing to accommodate things like research schedules while a student, etc.

Speaking strictly based on numbers, it's hard to contest that WVU is the better school, but despite that, I too am 99% certain that I'll be attending MUSOM next fall. The student support services is one of the big selling factors for me as well. It seems to me that MUSOM has many programs in place that cater to their students' success.

I'm also a fan of the letter grading system. At WVU, you'll receive either pass, fail, or honors based on your performance. Because honors is only awarded to the top 15% of the class (usually requiring at least a 93% average according to one of my 2nd year friends), WVU creates an environment conducive to competition. At MUSOM on the other hand, if you study hard enough to have mastered at least 90% of the material, you'll earn top marks. If all 80 students have a final average of 90% or better, they all receive A's. I suppose this could be viewed as adverse if you're not one who strives for top marks; after all, a 75 reflects the same on a transcript as a 90 (assuming this isn't the pass/honors cutoff) using a pass/fail system.

Cabell-Huntington Hospital is not a level 1 trauma center like WVU's Ruby Memorial, but I feel that despite this, I'll still get more than enough experience during my clerkships. And let's face it, your real training is during residency anyways, which you can elect to do elsewhere if you really feel that Cabell-Huntington is inadequate.

All considered, WVU may have better raw numbers, but I feel that Marshall has the whole package.

P.S. Cindy Warren told me that she'd soon be setting up a website for the acceptees to become acquainted. See you guys on the other side!

Speaking strictly based on numbers, it's hard to contest that WVU is the better school, but despite that, I too am 99% certain that I'll be attending MUSOM next fall. The student support services is one of the big selling factors for me as well. It seems to me that MUSOM has many programs in place that cater to their students' success.

I'm also a fan of the letter grading system. At WVU, you'll receive either pass, fail, or honors based on your performance. Because honors is only awarded to the top 15% of the class (usually requiring at least a 93% average according to one of my 2nd year friends), WVU creates an environment conducive to competition. At MUSOM on the other hand, if you study hard enough to have mastered at least 90% of the material, you'll earn top marks. If all 80 students have a final average of 90% or better, they all receive A's. I suppose this could be viewed as adverse if you're not one who strives for top marks; after all, a 75 reflects the same on a transcript as a 90 (assuming this isn't the pass/honors cutoff) using a pass/fail system.

Cabell-Huntington Hospital is not a level 1 trauma center like WVU's Ruby Memorial, but I feel that despite this, I'll still get more than enough experience during my clerkships. And let's face it, your real training is during residency anyways, which you can elect to do elsewhere if you really feel that Cabell-Huntington is inadequate.

All considered, WVU may have better raw numbers, but I feel that Marshall has the whole package.

P.S. Cindy Warren told me that she'd soon be setting up a website for the acceptees to become acquainted. See you guys on the other side!

yeah what he said

Just talked to Mrs. Warren this morning. I had left a message last week and she called me back personally. Really nice lady, and she said they were just starting to get to OOS applications.
She said OOSers should expect an e-mail within the next week, so they must be working right up to Christmas.

Just talked to Mrs. Warren this morning. I had left a message last week and she called me back personally. Really nice lady, and she said they were just starting to get to OOS applications.
She said OOSers should expect an e-mail within the next week, so they must be working right up to Christmas.

Good to know! She called me back this morning too. It's amazing what a difference a nice admissions office will make in this whole process--she was so sweet. It really makes the whole thing less inhumane and more personal feeling. She was so sweet!

Agreed, I really like her. She is hands down the nicest person I've met during the whole application season.

Agreed, I really like her. She is hands down the nicest person I've met during the whole application season.

i completely agree. I called her last week and she said "we hope to send out hte first wave by thursday" so that means tomorrow. But it looks like they may have fallen a bit behind schedule, understandable considering its the holidays. Hoping to hear something tomorrow or next week then! :)

i completely agree. I called her last week and she said "we hope to send out hte first wave by thursday" so that means tomorrow. But it looks like they may have fallen a bit behind schedule, understandable considering its the holidays. Hoping to hear something tomorrow or next week then! :)
Good luck, samurai! As an OOSer, it's definitely an accomplishment to be offered an interview at Marshall.

I was fortunate that they let me interview when I was down with family for Thanksgiving, so that we wouldn't have to risk the weather later. It was a great experience, my interviewers were both interested in getting to know me and interesting people themselves (I realize that sounds odd, but I mean it in a good way.)

Good luck, samurai! As an OOSer, it's definitely an accomplishment to be offered an interview at Marshall.

I was fortunate that they let me interview when I was down with family for Thanksgiving, so that we wouldn't have to risk the weather later. It was a great experience, my interviewers were both interested in getting to know me and interesting people themselves (I realize that sounds odd, but I mean it in a good way.)

anyone hear anything!?

nothing! maybe by "in the next week" she meant "whenever we feel like it, hopefully before next August."
we'll see what this next week brings

I know of a few OOSers who have interveiws, but they are all in the Med Sci Master's Program here at Marshall

I am talking about the regular decision applications with no ties to any programs. Last year, interview invites went out to OOSers around this time and wanted to know if the ball had started rolling yet.

I am talking about the regular decision applications with no ties to any programs. Last year, interview invites went out to OOSers around this time and wanted to know if the ball had started rolling yet.

i still havent heard a thing

i still havent heard a thing

if I had to take a guess, I do not think we will hear anything until next week which is quite the surprise given last year's timetable. Wishing all OOSers good luck!

Got the interview invite today for end of January. I will be declining it on Monday morning. OOS (have super strong ties to the Huntington area, however) >3.70 and a 33 MCAT.

Good luck everyone!!! The invite said ~25 OOS are given acceptances, I think (but don't quote me!!!!)

Got the interview invite today for end of January. I will be declining it on Monday morning. OOS (have super strong ties to the Huntington area, however) >3.70 and a 33 MCAT.

Good luck everyone!!! The invite said ~25 OOS are given acceptances, I think (but don't quote me!!!!)

Congrats on the interview...and thanks for declining it on behalf of all of us OOSers! :)

does anyone know what sort of notification method marshall uses to let the applicant know that they've been put "on-hold" or that there has been no decision made on their candidacy after the adcom has met to discuss about them?

for all the fellow OOS'ers. I called Cindy today, she said they were running behind schedule. She said 1/3rd of the OOS interviews have been sent out... the remaining 2/3rds will go out this week sometime.

does anyone know what sort of notification method marshall uses to let the applicant know that they've been put "on-hold" or that there has been no decision made on their candidacy after the adcom has met to discuss about them?

So within two weeks of your interview (at least for In state) the committee meets (usually a Tuesday night) and they try to get through everyone who has been interviewed. If they accept you, you will get a call within the nexgt few days. If they make no decision or if they reject you then you won't hear anything. If rejected then you should get a letter in the mail. Ask Cindy whenyou interview when she think the committee will bring you up and she should be able to give you a fairly accurate time table. If its been about a week after she told you call and ask her if she can tell you anything. She can usually give you the heads up not problem because she is like the nicest person in the world.

Just got an invite at 1pm. She really meant the end when she said they'd send out invites "by the end of this week."
OOS (VA) mcat 32 uGPA 3.6

and sure enough, as encouraging as can be, the invite said only 20-25 OOS will be offered acceptances post-interview

I got an invite today at 1:00 PM via email.

OOS (VA)
UGPA: 3.16
GGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 36

From the email: "After we have interviewed all of the selected nonresidents, we will select the 20-25 nonresidents for the class."

Talked to Cindy today, sounded like there were still a good number of interview slots open, but maybe they're for more IS?
I asked for the soonest Monday slot and got Feb 14. Didn't realize it was Valentine's Day until just now. Can't wait...

OOS. Just got an interview invite this morning. I can choose from the 14, 22, or 23 of February. The e-mail said they hope to have all OOS students interviewed by February 23rd.

I just got an email saying that I never responded to a jan 19th email for an interview invite...but I never got that! Anyway I wrote her back and let her know that I'm definitely still interested, I hope this doesn't hurt my chances!

I'm OOS, btw.

congrats! and i wouldn't worry. they aren't making any decisions for OOSers until all the interviews are done.

does every other OOSer with an interview have strong ties to WV? from what i gather that's more important than most other factors.

congrats! and i wouldn't worry. they aren't making any decisions for OOSers until all the interviews are done.

does every other OOSer with an interview have strong ties to WV? from what i gather that's more important than most other factors.

Okay thanks that makes me feel better. I just hope they don't think I'm uninterested or something.

I literally have no ties to WV whatsoever. I'm from Ohio (I guess that's next to WV....does that count? lol). 3.5 gpa and 29Q. I'm honestly surprised about this interview invite and I'm definitely grateful. I sent an update/letter of interest about a month ago so I don't know if that played a part at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.