2010-2011 Marshall University (Edwards) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Just received the supplementary app email. Interviews for non-residents will begin in January.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad I checked my E-mail. I got the supplemental app on the 15th as well.
I've got to wait until after I get my MCAT scores back in august to submit though.

The next two months are going to be painfully slow. I'm ready to interview now! :laugh:

Bumping the thread to see if there are any other instaters applying to Marshall.

I've got the MCAT done now, just waiting until August for my scores to come in.

I'm wondering when they start interviewing instaters. It seems everyone from the thread last year was OOS. At any rate I'll let everyone know after I get my secondary turned in next month. Hopefully they start interviews right away since they have rolling admissions.

does this supp. app have any essays? if so, what are they?

I'm from Charleston, WV-

Junior at Penn State

MCAT- retaking Aug Friday the 13th; good choice, I know.

Submitted Primary a while ago, waiting to submit secondary September 13thish (after I get my MCAT score back)

So that's where I stand.

Last edited:
/\ What's up man! Welcome to the Marshall thread.

I'm instate, 3.5cGPA 3.7sGPA. I'm still at Marshall starting my senior year in the fall. Got my primary in and waiting on my MCAT score (2 more weeks) before sending in my secondary.

The app process has been great so far. I've met some Marshall med students and they seem really positive. I really hope I get in, I can't wait to put one of those stickers on my car!

Good Luck!

Nonetheless, it's great to meet someone who is in the same boat as me! The day you will be finding out your scores is the same day I take my test; Friday the 13th....we fail on that.

Anyway, You'll probably interview sooner than I do, so let me know how that goes, :luck:!

I really can't believe we are the only people lurking on SDN applying to Marshall in state. Weird. Where is everyone?!

Last edited:
I meant 'man' only in the most general terms, ha! I really like Marshall, and it seems like I'm the only one on here. It is good to find someone else!

I'm convinced that WV is the best state for in state applicants. We have 3 schools and a tiny population, some pretty great odds. Granted all three schools are barely within the state lines but still...

How's the test prep coming? You still have 2 weeks left, plenty of time for cramming!

Cramming is right my friend...just going over and over and over Kaplan materials & taking an AAMC practice every other day.

Also, at Penn State, we have a pre-professional committee that makes a cover letter for your letters of recommendation, so I have to go up to State College tomorrow for that interview. I got my suit all ready to go! It's actually a good pre-interview practice, I think.

I'm not actually applying to the Osteopathic school in Lewisburg, but you're right, West Virginia does have two really awesome medical schools that prefer in state students, so we do have an advantage. My friends from PA at school definitely aren't so lucky. Are you only applying to those three schools? Marshall is definitely by far my first choice, but I really hate putting all my eggs in two baskets (WVU & Marshall)!!!!! So- I'm going to look into a few more to apply to. Now if I could just decide where to begin looking.... ??

I'm waiting on my MCAT scores to broaden my apps. No use for spending money unless it's necessary right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted this secondary which makes me all caught up with all of my applications. It's a great feeling not having any essays to write (at least until I get more secondaries :xf:).

What do you guys think very solid GPA and MCAT scores means?

I am from Virginia and I got my secondary on June 28th.

GPA is 3.71 but MCAT is 26

I doubt they would consider that too competitive...

I'm also from VA and have contacted the dean. First, she said for OOS don't bother submitting before Dec. They won't look at OOS until January. Also, I would not consider your stats "solid", but just send her an email. She responded quickly to me.

I'm from Virginia and have a cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.5 and a 29 MCAT. I called the admissons office back in like May. She said my 29 was kind of low for an out of stater and pretty much told me I wouldn't be that competitive. I applied anyway because I have family in the state and supposedly that helps, but if she wasn't pleased with a 29, I doubt a 26 would have a good chance.

I emailed the assistant dean of admissions at Marshall with my stats before my MCAT retake (GPA 3.76/26R). She said that my MCAT scores were a little low for a nonresident. They mean last year was a 29 and they like to have nonresidents AT LEAST CLOSE to that level.

I would email them and just talk to them. Show interest and just ask.

Bumping the thread to see if there are any other instaters applying to Marshall.

I've got the MCAT done now, just waiting until August for my scores to come in.

I'm wondering when they start interviewing instaters. It seems everyone from the thread last year was OOS. At any rate I'll let everyone know after I get my secondary turned in next month. Hopefully they start interviews right away since they have rolling admissions.

I'm instate as well and I talked to assistant dean and she said that they would start the first set of interviews for instate students either the first or second week of October. Good luck to everyone!! :luck:

anybody get an interview invite yet? if you did when did you put in your secondary app?

Yep. I'm interviewing next Tuesday (the 5th). I submitted my secondary waaaay back in June.

i'm in state. i submitted my secondary at the beginning of sept. kind of late but had to wait on my mcat score anyway and ms. warren said it wouldnt do much good to submit the secondary until my mcat was in. so. yeah. kind of worried that i wont interview for a very long time. :scared: i hate waiting. so much!!

Yea, in-state, but I've been OOS for my entire undergrad.

Unfortunately, waiting is the name of the game at this point. I'm OOS so I won't hear anything from Marshall until at least December, and I did my secondary for them right away when I got it in July. I'm sure you'll be okay DMH!

Sarah, good luck with your interview! I imagine going to college OOS doesn't matter so much so long as you don't change your residency.

got an e-mail today. interviewing last week of october! woo hoo!

How do they go about interviews and acceptances? Website, Email, or snail mail? I know some are still using snail mail for certain things.

How do they go about interviews and acceptances? Website, Email, or snail mail? I know some are still using snail mail for certain things.
I don't know about acceptances, but I got my invite via email.

Good luck!

They send interview invitations by e-mail and if you are accepted Ms. Warren calls you. Waitlisted and rejects are via snail mail.

Someone hold a mirror under this thread's nose to see if it fogs up.

Anyway, would those of you who interviewed please comment on your respective experiences?

Hahaha, AtTheBeach!

I'm also curious about the experience here. Can those who have interviewed comment on the interview day, facilities, etc?

Also, are any congratulations in order? :)

Hahaha, AtTheBeach!

I'm also curious about the experience here. Can those who have interviewed comment on the interview day, facilities, etc?

Also, are any congratulations in order? :)
Yep. I interviewed here on 10/5 and loved it. Ms. Warren is super super nice and greets you and talks about any questions you have before you interview. Then, I was interviewed by two people - one professor and one staff member - separately for about 45 minutes each. They're more than willing to talk about any questions you have, go over the program, etc. They also walk through your file essentially in chronological order, including your AMCAS application.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this school. They have a brand new (3 year old) cancer center and they just finished expanding their hospital. Two thumbs up! If anyone has any other questions, lemme know!

I haven't heard back from them yet, but they said to expect news soon, so any day now!

I am instate and applied and got an interview invite sometime soon. I was wondering what the admission chances are for students who get interview invites between october and november. What kind of students are they looking for?

Also, if you get an interview invite and are in-state is that significant? especially if you have a low GPA or low MCAT? Or is it just courtesy because you are instate. in other words, is the interview a significant factor once you get it and your stats dont matter as much or does it not mean as much?

just wondering.

I am instate and applied and got an interview invite sometime soon. I was wondering what the admission chances are for students who get interview invites between october and november. What kind of students are they looking for?

Also, if you get an interview invite and are in-state is that significant? especially if you have a low GPA or low MCAT? Or is it just courtesy because you are instate. in other words, is the interview a significant factor once you get it and your stats dont matter as much or does it not mean as much?

just wondering.

being an in-state student will definitely help. but it will NOT make up for low gpa/low mcat. getting an interview invite is obviously a good thing, but your stats will still matter when the committee is reviewing your application.

im not sure about how they decide when to give interviews to what applicants. i don't know if it depends solely on when you submitted all of your materials or if they interview those they feel are better applicants first.

if you have a low gpa/low mcat you may want to consider applying for the medical sciences graduate program at marshall. it will strengthen your application and can help make up for a low undergrad gpa by showing commitment and ability. also, as part of the program, you can get half tuition paid for an mcat prep course(you pay half, the program pays half). if you are planning on re-taking the mcat, this may benefit you. if this is something you are interested in i suggest applying soon because this program tends to fill up quickly. they usually only take 15-20 students. it's a really good option for those who may not get accepted this cycle. if you want any more information about the program the website is: http://bms.marshall.edu/medicalsciences/default.aspx

i hope that helps! :)

So Marshall gets ~200 in-state applications, ~1000 OOS applications, and has a class size of ~70 (I think 50ish of that is instate). I have no idea how many in-state-ers they interview, but I'm pretty sure they interview ALL the in state applicants they want to before moving on to OOS applicants. Hope this helps.

Just got the admitted phone call :)!! Good luck everyone!

Well, it's the only place that's admitted me so far, but even so, I really loved the school and the people there. Also, it's much cheaper than other schools when you have IS tuition, which makes it a great deal.

I'm sure I won't make my final decision until I'm sure where I'm admitted, etc, but I definitely loved it.

Well, it's the only place that's admitted me so far, but even so, I really loved the school and the people there. Also, it's much cheaper than other schools when you have IS tuition, which makes it a great deal.

I'm sure I won't make my final decision until I'm sure where I'm admitted, etc, but I definitely loved it.

Congrats!!
when did you interview? Did they provide you with stats, like In state MCAT/GPA? their website only provides overall data. do you know info offhand? also were you told you would get in on the day of int?

Congrats!!
when did you interview? Did they provide you with stats, like In state MCAT/GPA? their website only provides overall data. do you know info offhand? also were you told you would get in on the day of int?
I interviewed 10/5. In terms of stats, the website numbers are the same that they told me when I interviewed... and I'm unsure offhand. Since I interviewed before "black-out date" or whatever you want to call it, I didn't hear until late this week, but I have no idea what the "normal" timeline is if you interviewed after 10/15. Good luck! Do you have an interview set up?

I interviewed 10/5. In terms of stats, the website numbers are the same that they told me when I interviewed... and I'm unsure offhand. Since I interviewed before "black-out date" or whatever you want to call it, I didn't hear until late this week, but I have no idea what the "normal" timeline is if you interviewed after 10/15. Good luck! Do you have an interview set up?

sorry for late reply

yah I do, its sometime november

what were your stats? are you instate? when did you apply? when did you interview?

Got my acceptance phone call from Ms. Warren this evening. IS with 3.3 UG GPA and 31 MCAT. Good luck to everyone else!

Ehh, no call for me tonight. I wonder if this means waitlist or rejection? I'm IS 3.6s 3.5o 26(9/7/10).

I thought both of my interviews went well. IDK. Prolly that stupid 7, I knew it would ruin me.

Good luck errbody else!

got the call a little over an hour ago. IS 31 MCAT, 3.65 GPA, but I am also a grad student in their Medical Science Program. I've seen half of their med school already because I am a slacker :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.