2009-2010 Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess there were no acceptances sent out this week? Ehh, I guess there's always next week :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I have a feeling today might have some good news for you guys :xf::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
i just found this site... is that for undergrads only?
http://www.enrollment.vcu.edu/rar/docs/app_for_domic.pdf

seems a bit weird u can't apply for instate after a year or two, even if u decided to settle there...

Well, it looks like that form can be completed by anyone enrolled at VCU, regardless of program. It doesn't give information on what the specific criteria are for eligibility, however. I took a look at the statute linked in that document, and that's not particularly clear either!

This section seems to be the pertinent portion that precludes most people from gaining in-state tuition after moving here solely for school:

"Domiciliary status shall not ordinarily be conferred by the performance of acts which are auxiliary to fulfilling educational objectives or are required or routinely performed by temporary residents of the Commonwealth. Mere physical presence or residence primarily for educational purposes shall not confer domiciliary status. A matriculating student who has entered an institution and is classified as an out-of-state student shall be required to rebut by clear and convincing evidence the presumption that he is in the Commonwealth for the purpose of attending school and not as a bona fide domiciliary."

That is why most people need to come here prior to school, acquire employment and start paying taxes here, for a significant amount of time before being successful gaining in-state tuition.

You could always try, though.

So...mid-June is nearing...Someone said that movement should happen from May 15 until mid-June, and then it becomes really slow. What does that mean for us if it has been already really slow before June 15? Does it necessarily have to mean anything?

- Wants to stay hopeful.

So...mid-June is nearing...Someone said that movement should happen from May 15 until mid-June, and then it becomes really slow. What does that mean for us if it has been already really slow before June 15? Does it necessarily have to mean anything?

- Wants to stay hopeful.

Same here. I don't think anybody knows the answer to that. Now would be a good time emailing Dr. WHC about the movement since she's the only one who could really inform us.

Would any current students mind stopping by at the admissions office to see if movement has been pretty slow recently?

Hi everyone!!

I just got my acceptance!!! (6:05pm)

For those who have been around this post long enough...
you guys prob recognize my screen name..

This has been an emotional journey!

I'm an instate, female re-applicant,
who had not-so-great undergrad stats but did my all @ VCU postbac/M.S.
who got WL all the way to the last day last cycle,
but FINALLY got an offer this time around!!!!!

I'm still shaking! But I so wanted to post my story here to encourage all and any of you still out there keeping your fingers (and toes) crossed!
Good luck!!! I really hope to see many of you this summer!!!! :luck::luck::luck:

Hi everyone!!

I'm still shaking! But I so wanted to post my story here to encourage all and any of you still out there keeping your fingers (and toes) crossed!
Good luck!!! I really hope to see many of you this summer!!!! :luck::luck::luck:

It's good to hear about applicants like you, congrats!

Did you email Dr. WHC at all about your rank?

Enjoy the rest of your summer

Hi everyone!!

Congrats! Looks like there's going to be a LOT of former Certificate people in VCU this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!!

Congrats! You mind sharing your stats with us?

I got the acceptance email on Monday. The interesting thing is Dr. WHC emailed me last week and told me that they got to my position last year sometime around early to mid July. I guess the waitlist is really moving.
White male/OOS
Oh, and I’ll be seeing you guys there at the white coat ceremony:thumbup:

Some days I wake up and I tell myself that today will be the day. I work myself up into thinking that I will get that email until it's time to check my email and then I realize that it was all just wishful thinking. Oh well... anybody hear anything today?

Some days I wake up and I tell myself that today will be the day. I work myself up into thinking that I will get that email until it's time to check my email and then I realize that it was all just wishful thinking. Oh well... anybody hear anything today?

dadocca, that was me today :/

6pm came and passed, and I got the e-mail notification sound from my iPhone at 6:09pm ... but it was a false alarm :(

gosh, can i please get in?

I got the acceptance email on Monday. The interesting thing is Dr. WHC emailed me last week and told me that they got to my position last year sometime around early to mid July. I guess the waitlist is really moving.
White male/OOS
Oh, and I’ll be seeing you guys there at the white coat ceremony:thumbup:

Congrats on the acceptance. I remember you from the Utah board. Looks like we are both rebounding over to VCU. Gotta be happy with this place though, it really is a great school...

Can anyone who was a reapplicant to VCU and who was admitted this year give us tips on the second personal statement that we need to write please? How does it need to be different, what it needs to highlight, etc...

Thank you!! =D

Can anyone who was a reapplicant to VCU and who was admitted this year give us tips on the second personal statement that we need to write please? How does it need to be different, what it needs to highlight, etc...

Thank you!! =D

Well during my first application cycle, I was still working and doing more extracurricular activities. When writing my personal statement, I thought that I had to make a drastic change to it. So I came up with 3 different versions/themes for my PS. I eventually narrowed it to 2 and went with my old PS but with some experiences changed up. If you're like me, the PS that I used for my first application cycle pretty much explained why I wanted to become a doctor and had the experiences to show it. But since then, I've had some more experiences that I weighed as being more representative of why I wanted to be a physician. Sure you can change your PS completely, and you should explore it. But don't feel like you have to completely change everything. Sometimes your PS might just need a tune-up to show that you have done something since you last applied and that your passion for medicine and patient care has truly flourished since last year.

I was worried about the same thing for reapplication this year (to what degree should I change up my PS) and have pretty much settled on what you've stated here. I just hope that whoever reads it isn't someone that rereads it, sees similarities in the first paragraph, and then completely writes it off as the same PS as last year! Think I'll start out with something like "As a reapplicant..." blah blah.

I do have another question for any current students that reapplied though! What did you do with the year off?!?! I'm pretty much looking at mine as an opportunity to do something amazing, just don't know what yet. Thinking I'll work for the first half of the year, save up as much dough as possible, then go abroad and do some medical volunteering. Thoughts?!?

If it makes you feel better, I thoroughly expect to *not* get that email... maybe it's just a defense mechanism, but if I got a status update email (before the rejections go out) from VCU I'd sincerely question whether it was a mistake. If it wasn't a mistake, I'd probably piss myself laughing (and obv be reaaaally excited), lol

I wish I could train myself into thinking like that but no matter how much I try I just can't.

But that's ok... because today is definitely going to be the day!! :laugh:

Last edited:
I wish I could train myself into thinking like that but no matter how much I try I just can't.

But that's ok... because today is definitely going to be the day!! :laugh:

I emailed Dr. WHC and the in-state list has "stalled" and she doesn't expect any more movement from it, a different trend than years' past due to the economy (but she did say this was similar to last year).

The good news for some of you is that the out-of-state list IS moving.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but things could always change I suppose.

It's pretty disappointing to hear that the IS waitlist has stalled...
*sigh*......

Whenever 3oclock rolls around, I have a huge itch to check my email. I just can't wait for that day (really pray it comes) that I see a VCU update...a good one.

Soooo it didn't happen today... They must be waiting for friday to give us all the good news!

I called the admissions office and they said that they're not sending out acceptances in batches on particular days...it's just as a spot becomes available. fyi so that we're not putting all our hopes on certain days. :(

so i emailed Dr WHC about a month ago about my chances on the waitlist. I haven't heard back...should I send another email?

so i emailed Dr WHC about a month ago about my chances on the waitlist. I haven't heard back...should I send another email?

Yes. I had the same situation and she responded after I asked again. Make sure you're clear and quick in your email.

so it appears some people go in 6/16 last year (today). Is that because you have to give a $3000 deposit on 6/15? I know at other schools that is the case, and although each school probably has a different date, I imagine it is sometime soon...

so it appears some people go in 6/16 last year (today). Is that because you have to give a $3000 deposit on 6/15? I know at other schools that is the case, and although each school probably has a different date, I imagine it is sometime soon...

is this for accepted students? i never heard anything about a 3k deposit!

i dont know for sure at VCU, i just know at other schools that is the case. I was just curious... if you are an accepted student you would know better than I do...

Hello!

I have been following this thread for quite some time now, but this is my first time posting. This thread has been a great support system through this long journey and I hope it continues to a successful end. :)

As many others, I am on the out of state waitlist hoping and anxiously waiting to hear some good news any day now. I am sad to see that there have been no recent posts on acceptances for the past few days. Is the OS waitlist movement slowing down?

I really hope things turn back around. Wishing everyone the best of luck!!

it is $100 to reserve your acceptance spot.

Does anyone know if the OOS waitlist is still moving and/or when the next acceptances go out? Trying to hold on here!!

Does anyone know if the OOS waitlist is still moving and/or when the next acceptances go out? Trying to hold on here!!

I'm with dadocca on trying to hold on and continue hoping that spots will open up for SDNers who are patiently waiting.:thumbup::thumbup:

Has anybody been able to get a solid response from the admissions office about their waitlist positions and/or chances of getting off the waitlist?
How did you ask the question to get the most definitive answer?
Is calling better than e-mailing?
Compared to previous year waitlist sagas, isn't it a bit early for acceptances to be handed out one by one and not in batches?
When are people planning on hitting the reapply button?

Another SDNer trying to hold on here!!:xf::xf:

i emailed Dr. WHC a day ago and got a response the next day. I'm OOS btw, and she stated that the OOS list is moving slowly and it's hard to determine since it's totally dependent on withdrawals.

I know...it's kind of vague

good luck to everyone on waitlist!

i emailed Dr. WHC a day ago and got a response the next day. I'm OOS btw, and she stated that the OOS list is moving slowly and it's hard to determine since it's totally dependent on withdrawals.

I know...it's kind of vague

good luck to everyone on waitlist!

Thanks for the update. :thumbup:
Moving slowly is better than not moving! :xf::D
Good luck to you Bear007! :thumbup:

Ok, get ready everyone... tomorrow is the big day :)

(sorry, just being sarcastic and blindly optomistic)... yay for venting waitlist anger on sdn!

Ok, get ready everyone... tomorrow is the big day :)

(sorry, just being sarcastic and blindly optomistic)... yay for venting waitlist anger on sdn!

I hope someone from VCUs admission office reads this and sympathizes with you (us) and hits the batch acceptance button tomorrow!:xf:

In other news, have you (dadocca) hit the reapply button yet?

I hope someone from VCUs admission office reads this and sympathizes with you (us) and hits the batch acceptance button tomorrow!:xf:

In other news, have you (dadocca) hit the reapply button yet?

Thank GOD I have had another acceptance since early this year as I already am a reapplicant... I died on a waitlist last year and have been on 4 waitlists this year... another year of continuous waiting would seriously make me :boom:

But like I said early on, VCU has felt like the perfect fit from day 1 so I guess the wait goes on.

Are you reapplying? If so, I suggest you do it soon and not wait for a final answer from this or any other waitlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.