2009-2010 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was I the only one who received my first year site match email yesterday? I figured this thread would be blowing up.

I'm not particularly happy with my placement. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

A few people have posted about their sites on the facebook page. It looks like some of the Pullman and Spokane spots have been filled.

I just got the acceptance call from my Excom lady! It was so kind of her to call (and she was in China too!!). I was #5 on the waitlist, so it's moving along quite well!

Good luck to the rest of you - I can't believe this! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the acceptance call from my Excom lady! It was so kind of her to call (and she was in China too!!). I was #5 on the waitlist, so it's moving along quite well!

Good luck to the rest of you - I can't believe this! :love:

CONGRATS foofoo!

Congrats! I interviewed on the same day as you and am glad to see that you have been accepted.

Yahoo Foofoo! Many congrats and thanks for the update on the alternate list status! I've been dying to see movement for days. I just can't wait until May 15!

Thank you all so, so much! You are all such a supportive, lovely group of people and I wish all of you the best. :)

I'm running on a high right now... I'm still in shock. I'm actually leaving for Hawaii tomorrow so I guess that's one heck of a way to celebrate! :p

Again, good luck to all of you! :)

Yay!!! Congrats =) I found out the day I got BACK from Hawaii, which made for a pretty tense trip :p Have fun celebrating~!

Last edited:
Congrats Foofoo, have fun in Hawaii.

Looks like the list is moving slightly faster than last year, Ill try not to read into it too much but it gives me some hope.

Yahoo Foofoo! Many congrats and thanks for the update on the alternate list status! I've been dying to see movement for days. I just can't wait until May 15!

This may be a silly ? but is May 15th a deadline for accepted students?

You got it, by May 15th applicants with multiple acceptances must choose 1 school and decline their other acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year half of the people off the waitlist got in before May 15 (21), and the majority of the rest got in during to two weeks following May 15.

Anyone planning to go to second look this weekend?

Wait, it's THIS weekend? Did anyone else not get the email?

Wait, it's THIS weekend? Did anyone else not get the email?

It was sent out on monday. There were two emails i think and in one of them Amen forgot to bcc everyone and I thought it was strange that there were only like.. 20 people.. so it made me wonder when no one on sdn or the fb page mentioned second look. Here's the email:

Dear all,

Hope this finds you well. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to welcome you to the 2010 second look event at the UWSOM!

This e-mail attempts to answer all of your questions and issues. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

Those traveling from distance and staying at hotel Deca, two forms of transportation are available to you: The Link Light Rail and/or Shuttle. Once you arrive at the SeaTac international airport, I would suggest that you take the Sound Transit Link LightRailto Westlake –the last stop for the rail (cost of one-way is $2.50) and from there get on a metro bus (choices of 70, 71, 73—cost is $2.25) to University district, you will need to get off at hotel Deca (45th & Brooklyn). Please click on the link to get more information about the hotel Deca. http://www.hoteldeca.com/

If the light rail is not for you, there is an alternate transportation, shuttle Express service to the Deca that runs every hour, on the hour. Follow the ground transportation sign at the airport for the location (cost is $37). More information can be found on the link: http://www.shuttleexpress.com/airportTransfers.html Once you arrive at hotel at about 1:30PM, Dan Olson, a member of our OMCA team will wait for you at the Decal Lobby for a short walk or a short shuttle ride to South Campus Center for scheduled event that begins at 2:00PM.

Those of you from Seattle and vicinity, please plan on arriving directly at South Campus Center 354, on Friday, April 16, 2010 at 2:00PM. See attached agenda for your detailed agenda. Program begins with Meet & Greet with our staff and a welcome from Dean Ramsey, dean of the School of Medicine at the University of Washington and Dr. Tom Norris, Vice Dean for Academic Affairs, Dr. Carol Teitz, Associate Dean for Admissions, Dr. Pete Eveland, Associate Dean for Student Affairs, and Dr. David Acosta, Associate Dean for Multicultural Affairs. Additional information about curriculum, financial aid and other information will be provided. Light lunch will be also provided.

Dinner with current medical students, community members, faculty mentors and members of the admissions executive committee will be begin at 6:00PM at hotel Deca. A panel of minority physicians will also share their stories and passion of providing care, followed by Q & A session. The minority physician panel is presented by the many student organization at the UWSOM (Qmed, LMSA, SNMA, Medicine Wheel Society, APAMSA & AFERM). The scheduled events for the second look will conclude on Saturday, April 17, 2010 at around 3:00PM. We will host brunch at hotel Deca at 10:00AM with students & staff and a visit to SeaMar Clinic for students interested in Latina/o health from 1-3PM, this event is organized by Latina/o Medical Student Association (LMSA) and the generosity of SeaMar community Clinic.

So I called the OMCA and the 2nd look weekend is really only for tentative and OOR applicants. That's why most people didn't get an email.

So I called the OMCA and the 2nd look weekend is really only for tentative and OOR applicants. That's why most people didn't get an email.

that seems odd because i gave my "firm" acceptance for their admission offer like the DAY i got my acceptance email lol

....it may also be for people from underprivileged backgrounds or people wanting to serve the underserved. That part wasn't very clear over the phone. The OMCA attempts to promote diversity at UWSOM and support students underrepresented in medicine, especially those interested in serving the underserved. Since the OMCA is hosting (and financing) the event, people who are connected with OMCA may have been invited. Yet, the OMCA can't or doesn't discriminate against ANY medical student regardless of background or ethnicity, especially since "economically disadvantaged" and "minority background" are, according to the OMCA, self-identifying terms.

I was told the same thing about second look weekend. Only "tentative" students were sent the email. I receeived my site match email today-- I will be in Seattle :)

Congrats to those moving off the waitlist!!

anymore movement off of the waitlist?????

For the little Idaho following the first alternate has been accepted...is alternate #2 out there?!

Congrats to any new Idaho WWAMI students! Make sure to join the "Moscow/Pullman WWAMI E-2010" group if you facebook.

I have only been to seattle during the summers. Honestly, is the weather as weary and depressing as people make it out to be? How many days of sunshine is there really? Do you ever get sick of the rain and cold?

I have only been to seattle during the summers. Honestly, is the weather as weary and depressing as people make it out to be? How many days of sunshine is there really? Do you ever get sick of the rain and cold?

It's rainy, yes, but definitely not as much as it is stereotyped to be. Some winter days are dry and clear, and when it's sunny outside, it's absolutely gorgeous! The air is super clean, and on clear days, you can see Mount Rainier from campus. =] I love it here and really hope that the weather isn't going to influence your choice in med schools!

It's rainy, yes, but definitely not as much as it is stereotyped to be. Some winter days are dry and clear, and when it's sunny outside, it's absolutely gorgeous! The air is super clean, and on clear days, you can see Mount Rainier from campus. =] I love it here and really hope that the weather isn't going to influence your choice in med schools!

I totally agree with the above post. the rest of the country honestly blows seattle rain way out of proportion! not sure where you are from, but you know how it rains on the east coast? like stormy torential downpours! well we rarely get that here, its most just like a drizzle. and it doesnt rain all day, sometimes it stops for a while :)

and if youre a girl and can pull off rainboots sometimes its fun to don all the rain gear lol

also ive talked to a lot of patients at the med center who just came here to be treated for something, and then they ended up moving here because they liked it so much. and they also say that the rain isnt as bad as they thought it would be...

Also take into consideration that Seattle has a great bar/cultural scene that easily beats most other places, and that for clinicals you have an extensive selection of far-flung sites throughout WWAMI-land to choose from if you get tired of Seattle.

If there's one reason NOT to pick UW-Seattle I'd say it's the traffic & pop. density, but maybe that's just me, and even then I've heard Spokane is very nice (and sunnier) as well.

The combination of short days and rain makes for a depressing winter in Seattle, which gets dark around 4pm. Stock up on vitamin D pills. It would be nicer if it snowed like Minneapolis, where the snow is dry and brightens the mood, but Seattle is steel gray. OTOH, there are spells of nice weather.

Seattle summers can be quite nice, but there are days in June as cool and damp as other cities in February, so on cool and rainy June days people wear parkas to baseball games.

Socially, Seattle is described by many newcomers as "Seattle Ice," where the locals seem stand-offish and cool, for years. They'd be shocked to hear themselves so described, but are nonetheless somewhat introverted. Political correctness is the Seattle norm, so if you are conservative, it won't seem like home.

Better weather and friendlier people are found in eastern Washington, so if you get the first year in Pullman or Spokane, enjoy it. Beautiful territory and wide open spaces there.

Dawgman- I think you mean "Seattle Freeze." :)

Thanks all for the responses. Yea, I know summers are gorgeous, but from what you all have written i probably could stand the gloom as it doesn't sound that bad although it might be some getting used to....I would love to go to school in Seattle (since i think rain is better than snow) but being that i would be OOS applicant don't think I have a chance. Do they honestly really only accept 5% out of state or less? If I am interested in primary care, but really haven't demonstrate that, so should I not bother applying?

There is no harm in applying. I wasn't sure if my washington residency was going to be approved and it turns out that I received a letter friday I am still considered OOS however I was accepted in March. I am hoping my washington residency gets approved before classes start so I don't have to pay OOS tuition. Like I said there is no harm in applying, you never know! Good luck.

Oh and Seattle IS beautiful in the summer and yes the winters can be a little gloomy but then there will be an amazing clear crisp winter day where you can see Mt Rainier and the Cascades and the Olympics and it makes it all worth it!!!

ACCEPTED !! !

:love:

Good luck to all the waitlisters out there.. don't give up hope, I was #9. I'm so freaking happy right now...

Political correctness is the Seattle norm, so if you are conservative, it won't seem like home.

I'm not entirely sure if I agree with this part, maybe for some people. But I am very conservative and have never felt like this in Seattle. Maybe it's something you just have to get used to, but wherever you go there will always be people who don't agree with you...I wouldn't let being conservative stop you from applying to UW!

^^Congrats! I'm glad the list has already gotten through #9!

Political correctness is the Seattle norm, so if you are conservative, it won't seem like home.

my political viewpoint aside, i found this to be a pretty comical remark. if you are equating political correctness with liberalism, are you then equating political incorrectness with conservatism?

I think it is not entirely correct to broadly generalize Seattleites as one type of person or another. Certainly the stereotypes are true in some circumstances but Seattle is a very diverse city with people coming from all over the country, all over the world really.

Still I don't know if these are reasons to avoid Seattle. I've talked to countless patients at the med center who say the exact opposite of that article! So I wouldn't put too much stock in that, and maybe it is just a personal opinion. But I love Seattle and I think people should give it a try before dismissing it based on these things...not saying you have don't have a valid point though...

Still I don't know if these are reasons to avoid Seattle. I've talked to countless patients at the med center who say the exact opposite of that article! So I wouldn't put too much stock in that, and maybe it is just a personal opinion. But I love Seattle and I think people should give it a try before dismissing it based on these things...not saying you have don't have a valid point though...

It would be interesting to hear from WWAMI people and others after they've spent time in Seattle and the other locations throughout the region, and how their sense of acceptance (or lack thereof) differed among locations. The Freeze discussed in my second cite above seems more particular to Seattle than other towns and cities in the region, such as Tacoma, Portland, or Spokane, where people are said to be more genuinely friendly.

What has been the experience of those on this thread, who've interviewed at UW and presumably other good schools? Who's nicest? Who's icest?

The weather here SUCKS. We get 58 sunny days a year. 58! That's 7th least in the US.

YES it does get gloomy and depressing and it's cold and crappy and rainy and grey most of the time.

YES the summers here are awesome!! Not worth it in the long-run though. Just my opinion.

"SEATTLE - Those new to the area this summer, with its seemingly endless sunshine, might be surprised that Seattle only averages 58 sunny days a year. That's seventh-least in the U.S. of cities that report official climate data, and as you might expect, other Pacific Northwest cities dot the list. But I bet you can't guess the least-sunny place in the U.S.
With just 48 sunny days a year, it's Elkins, West Virginia, just edging out Astoria, Oregon which has 50.
As for the rest of Seattle's days, we average 226 cloudy days (4th most in the U.S.) and 81 partly cloudy days. Of all those days, we get 155 days of rain a year.

http://www.komonews.com/news/archive/4103321.html

source is our local news station.

So people from sunny places or those who are expecting decent weather... you were warned.

any new wait list movement out there?

It's moving quickly my friends. I was #15 and was accepted today as an OOR applicant! Now it's decision-making time!

Does anybody know if they release financial aid offers soon after being accepted or do they wait until after they release SOM scholarships?

Good luck to everybody else :thumbup:

It's moving quickly my friends. I was #15 and was accepted today as an OOR applicant! Now it's decision-making time!

Does anybody know if they release financial aid offers soon after being accepted or do they wait until after they release SOM scholarships?

First of all, congratulations!!

I was accepted on 4/12 and I just received my financial aid offer today (4/30). So I think it should come to you pretty soon! Hope that helps. :)

It should come pretty soon. Although the info that you'll get first is only going to be loans and stafford loans. They won't have information for scholarships (if you're eligible) until later. Did you get the email about the SoM scholarship (deadline is like May 31st)? If you didn't I would contact the fin aid office to find out if they have any that you're eligible for...but like I said before, you won't know if you have any of that money until after you have to make your decision already. Not sure if that helps...

Where else are you trying to decide between?

Were you #15 on the OOR waitlist? Does this help movement on the in-state waitlist? CONGRATS!!! :)

Were you #15 on the OOR waitlist? Does this help movement on the in-state waitlist? CONGRATS!!! :)

I'm pretty sure OOR and Washington residents are on the same list. Good luck! I imagine they're going to go deep on the alternate list this year :thumbup:

Thank you Foofoo and Crywin for the financial aid info. The 52K tuition for OOR students during the first year is pretty scary but we'll see what happens. Luckily, I could become a WA resident after a year.

Right now, I'm deciding between the school that's closest to home (Emory) and UW which is that farthest from home; except maybe Hawai'i haha. I'm still on a couple of other wait lists which I'd love to get off of but I don't have my hopes up too high.

BTW everybody, May 15th is right around the corner!

Status
Not open for further replies.