* * 2009-2010 Secondary Applications Thread!! * *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received secondaries from
PCOM
MSU
DMU
Western yet?

I submitted my primary all the way back in 6/3.

Please let me know.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

don't worry about DMU's secondary. They don't even have any essays. Just a tiny form to fill out and submit online.

And as for the others don't get nervous yet. Many schools only review new applications every 3-4 weeks. So they might not have even looked at your app yet. I didn't get any secondaries until end of Aug.

PCOM is notorious for taking FOREVER with all their applications. Just know that its not that unusal to wait. They send it in snail mail. (i wish they would go electronic).

In the meantime, check out the secondary essay questions (found in Chocolate bear's signature) and start writing them NOW. You'll want to get those in AS THEY COME.

I know several schools keep track of how fast you get them back. If they get them back sooner you get a huge advantage over others.

And you should check out VCOM and consider adding that school to your ACCOMAS app. I was highly impressed by them. (and a bigger list of schools is always better!)

Anyone know if the UMDNJ secondary application is the one their using for this year?

Also do you need in invitation from the school to fill out this secondary application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the secondary essay prompts change from year to year or can I just use the ones for 2008-2009?

so I just got a letter from Touro saying I am short 2 credits in gen Chem. My university gives 3 credits for all course, including those which include a lab...so instead of 8 I have 6. Do you think if I write to them they'll accept that? I have a minor in chemistry so it seems a little outragious that they should say I don't have enough chemistry. sigh, oh well

so I just got a letter from Touro saying I am short 2 credits in gen Chem. My university gives 3 credits for all course, including those which include a lab...so instead of 8 I have 6. Do you think if I write to them they'll accept that? I have a minor in chemistry so it seems a little outragious that they should say I don't have enough chemistry. sigh, oh well

Definitely explain the situation to the dean of admissions or the asst. dean. You might have to end up taking 2 credits of Gen Chem though, if you want to go there. The stupid fact of the matter is that they have strict policies on these sorts of things due to accreditation review standards. If they're caught not adhering to the strict rules setup by those who accredit them, they get in huge trouble.

I don't know if this has been asked, and if it has I apologize, but I am filling out my secondaries and was curious if I should double space the essays. I am assuming not, since some say only half a page? thanks

I have been waiting for my AACOMAS to be verified forever. I want to start working on secondary prompts (thanks everyone for posting the prompts!). I would like to first start on the schools that send secondaries to everyone rather than the ones that heavily screen applicants.
Your help is greatly appreciated. I apologize if this information is posted somewhere else already.

I have been waiting for my AACOMAS to be verified forever. I want to start working on secondary prompts (thanks everyone for posting the prompts!). I would like to first start on the schools that send secondaries to everyone rather than the ones that heavily screen applicants.
Your help is greatly appreciated. I apologize if this information is posted somewhere else already.

We compiled a list last year for schools that screen. It may not be perfect, but it should get you started. Check my signature. If not there, check the FAQs thread at the top of the Pre Osteo forum. It's in there somewhere. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you and my bad!:oops:

on a side note, I am feeling frustrated looking at these prompts. I already answered "why DO" and "why primary care" in my personal statement. It's going to be difficult answering these questions and not sound redundant in the secondaries. :(

Will I be able to submit my secondary applications while I'm waiting for my MCAT score?

How long does it take to get a secondary back from OU? I was verified by AACOMAS on July 30th and haven't heard a thing back from OU yet. I'm an Ohio resident who has a 3.87 gpa and a 28 on my MCAT, so I don't think I got screened...

How long does it take to get a secondary back from OU? I was verified by AACOMAS on July 30th and haven't heard a thing back from OU yet. I'm an Ohio resident who has a 3.87 gpa and a 28 on my MCAT, so I don't think I got screened...

Schools may not even receive your materials for two weeks after being verified. Then, it may take a few weeks after that for them to reach your materials and contact you. And that's assuming they have all of their act together for this year's application cycle. Some schools are still working on getting all of the 2013ers started with classes and everything before working on next year's stuff. It's difficult, but you'll be waiting for everything. Get used to it. :D

Should I send in my LORs without a formal request from the school?

I have completed the secondary from NOVA but haven't sent in my LORs- nor have they asked me for them.

Also, for NYCOM, will they ask for LORs to be sent if/when I get a request for a secondary?

Will I be able to submit my secondary applications while I'm waiting for my MCAT score?

I am not even sure if the schools would even send you an invitation for filling out the secondary without a score. I know some schools heavily screen the primary applications. Some schools (I know MSU) has a min MCAT cutoff to send out the secondary.

You can surely submit your secondary application for schools like UMDNJ-SOM whose application is available online, you don't have to wait for an invitation.

Should I send in my LORs without a formal request from the school?

I have completed the secondary from NOVA but haven't sent in my LORs- nor have they asked me for them.

Also, for NYCOM, will they ask for LORs to be sent if/when I get a request for a secondary?

yes, you are supposed to send out your LORs about the same time you are turning in your secondary. Check the CIB.

I took the MCAT in May and I have my score from that exam, but I just retook it in early August. Would I have to send score reports to all of the individual schools if I finish their secondaries before my august score is released? (I have already finished primaries and have recieved secondaries from multiple schools.)

I took the MCAT in May and I have my score from that exam, but I just retook it in early August. Would I have to send score reports to all of the individual schools if I finish their secondaries before my august score is released? (I have already finished primaries and have recieved secondaries from multiple schools.)

You release your score to AACOMAS. There is no possible way to release your scores to schools individually.

I have a couple of questions about the Secondaries.

1.) Does everyone just receive them or is there some sense of satisfaction in receiving the secondary?

2.) I dont have my MCAT score back yet (July 30th), should I wait to add more schools if I wont get back any secondaries? I only submitted to MSU so I could get my application verified.

3.) If I dont have my MCAT score do I have to wait to turn in the one secondary that I have gotten (MSU) till I get my MCAT score or would that be bad?

Has anyone received secondaries from
PCOM
MSU
DMU
Western yet?

I submitted my primary all the way back in 6/3.

Please let me know.
Thanks!

I've received DMU, PCOM, and MSU. No Western yet, though.

I have a couple of questions about the Secondaries.

1.) Does everyone just receive them or is there some sense of satisfaction in receiving the secondary?
It depends on the school. Some schools heavily screen primaries, some don't do it at all.

2.) I dont have my MCAT score back yet (July 30th), should I wait to add more schools if I wont get back any secondaries? I only submitted to MSU so I could get my application verified.
I would just check out which schools have an MCAT cutoff for sending secondaries. I would add the schools without a cutoff right now and wait for others until I get my score. (This is what I'm doing)

3.) If I dont have my MCAT score do I have to wait to turn in the one secondary that I have gotten (MSU) till I get my MCAT score or would that be bad?
I don't see any harm in submitting it. They sent it to you, you do your best to answer it and submit it as soon as you can. They would just put your file on hold until they receive your scores.

So for some of the secondary questions like "List the names and relationship of relative(s) in the Osteopathic profession." If non of my relatives are D.O.s, should I put "N/A" or just leave it blank?

So for some of the secondary questions like "List the names and relationship of relative(s) in the Osteopathic profession." If non of my relatives are D.O.s, should I put "N/A" or just leave it blank?

I always put N/A, just so they don't think you skipped over the question or something dumb like that.

To the Evaluator:

OPTIONS:

Method 1: Complete all sections of the form, sign and mail original. Signatures are required.

Method 2: Prepare your comments on a computer, numbered to correspond to the form sections, attach to completed first and last pages of the form.

Method 3: Attach a letter of recommendation to the completed first and last pages of the form. This method is least preferable, as all applicants are evaluated in the areas specified in the form.

Mailing Address: MSUCOM Admissions Office, A136 E. Fee Hall, Michigan State University, E. Lansing, MI 48824-1316.

NOTE: Please keep a copy of the form. Should it be lost in the USPS or MSU mail system, we might have to ask for another copy.

This is the note that comes along with the MSU secondary. It has a bunch of questions that they would like to be answered by TWO people. The only problem is that I dont know if some of those people will want to fill out another forum for me because they also lead busy lives and spent quite a bit of time writing me good LOR, but as stated on here that is looked down to just attach that.

Have other people went through the MSU secondary and just sent in the LOR or do all of you actually get your LOR writers to fill this out. Thanks for the help as always.

To the Evaluator:

OPTIONS:

Method 1: Complete all sections of the form, sign and mail original. Signatures are required.

Method 2: Prepare your comments on a computer, numbered to correspond to the form sections, attach to completed first and last pages of the form.

Method 3: Attach a letter of recommendation to the completed first and last pages of the form. This method is least preferable, as all applicants are evaluated in the areas specified in the form.

Mailing Address: MSUCOM Admissions Office, A136 E. Fee Hall, Michigan State University, E. Lansing, MI 48824-1316.

NOTE: Please keep a copy of the form. Should it be lost in the USPS or MSU mail system, we might have to ask for another copy.

This is the note that comes along with the MSU secondary. It has a bunch of questions that they would like to be answered by TWO people. The only problem is that I dont know if some of those people will want to fill out another forum for me because they also lead busy lives and spent quite a bit of time writing me good LOR, but as stated on here that is looked down to just attach that.

Have other people went through the MSU secondary and just sent in the LOR or do all of you actually get your LOR writers to fill this out. Thanks for the help as always.

I went to the two people I wanted to write my letters (one had already written me one and one had not) and asked them to fill out MSUCOM's form. I just explained how much I want to go to MSU and they were happy to do it. MSUCOM seems to be pretty firm about wanting their evaluation forms to be used.

On the secondary apps. that ask for clinical experience are most people putting the same response they did for there primary apps.(assuming it is the same experience)??

So far, I have only filled out two secondaries, one for VCOM and one for LECOM-Bradenton. LECOM's secondary doesnt ask anything about this...but, VCOM specifically asks for clinical activities which are not stated in the primary application, however I have not done any "new" clinical activities outside those stated in my primary. I did put down however, that I have continued to volunteer at the same location (a medical clinic) beyond the number of hours stated in my primary application.

I always put N/A, just so they don't think you skipped over the question or something dumb like that.

On the same note, would adcom favor applicants that have health profession relatives? I have NDs in my family... iono if that counts

On the secondary apps. that ask for clinical experience are most people putting the same response they did for there primary apps.(assuming it is the same experience)??

That's what I did.

I already mentioned the answers to questions like why osteopathic medicine and why primary care in my personal statement. I don't know if I should re-state the same things again in my secondary applications from some schools that are asking those questions. I don't want to just start BSing just because I have nothing more to say but I feel weird talking about the same things all over again.
anybody else having/had the same problem?:confused:

On the same note, would adcom favor applicants that have health profession relatives? I have NDs in my family... iono if that counts

If you have docs in your family, adcoms will probably assume you have a better idea than the average citizen as to what the profession/lifestyle is like. However, if you have sufficient clinical experience under your belt, I think that evens the playing field for someone who doesn't have such family.

However, if you have ND family members, this might steer the convo down some sort of debate path, depending on how the interviewer feels about that profession, especially if your interviewer is a doc. Maybe you wouldn't mind that, but I personally wouldn't want my interview turning into a that. It might not go that direction anyway, but I thought I'd bring it up as a bit of a warning.

For MSU's secondary it asks about experiences going all the way back to high school. Im not sure if I'm alone on this one but I didnt do much of volunteer work at all in HS. I played sports, school, and worked. I kinda regret this now but I was still a kid at that time. What do they expect out of us to be volunteering from birth???

this is a stupid question, but i cannot find or know where to find my aacomas id?

any help is greatly appreciated!

this is a stupid question, but i cannot find or know where to find my aacomas id?

any help is greatly appreciated!

If you go into ur AACOMAS application home, it's right above the "AACOMAS status" on the right side of the screen.

For MSU's secondary it asks about experiences going all the way back to high school. Im not sure if I'm alone on this one but I didnt do much of volunteer work at all in HS. I played sports, school, and worked. I kinda regret this now but I was still a kid at that time. What do they expect out of us to be volunteering from birth???

LOL

I didn't have anything from HS either. Just put that you worked. Shoot, that's more than some of the kids can say! :D

You may have some experiences you forgot about too. Church volunteering, various clubs, etc. Point being, don't worry about it if you have a mostly empty section there.

Hi everyone. I have a question.

On Nova's secondary it asks: Are you acquainted with an osteopathic physician (e.g., family physician, relative, or close friend)? If so, please provide name, relationship to physician, institution and date of graduation and where they earned their osteopathic degree (in that order).

What do they mean by "institution"? I assume it's not where they graduated and got their DO degree. Does it mean undergrad? I'm confused. :confused:

Thanks!

hey, im a rookie and cant seem to find the thread that has all the DO's secondaries for 2009/2010 again? its bugging me, can you please tell me what to search for or send me a link. for instance, i was looking for the touro and western secondary threads. thanks, ill keep searching as well. take care,

-Z

hey, im a rookie and cant seem to find the thread that has all the DO's secondaries for 2009/2010 again? its bugging me, can you please tell me what to search for or send me a link. for instance, i was looking for the touro and western secondary threads. thanks, ill keep searching as well. take care,

-Z

You can look in CBears signature for them in thi thread

So the essay is below. My question is do they want two separate pages or all on one?

Applicant Essay:

Please complete your essay and include your responses to the following questions: (Please use font size 12 and limit your essay to one page. You may attach your essay to the application if additional space is needed.)

1. Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?
2. How does the osteopathic profession fit into your professional goals and values?

i'm sure this question has been asked before, but how much did people tweak their secondary essay answers which you already addressed in your primary personal statement?

i already addressed why i want to be a DO and why i'm fit for that, but some of the secondary essay questions asks the same thing. should i just switch around words or do they want something fresh? are they going to be re-reading personal statements while reviewing the secondary?

thanks!

I wrote completely new essays with new ideas/topics. I just didn't want to take a chance. It's one of the most important application in my life, why be lazy now? Plus, I checked out a book at the library on how to write medical school essays and there was a question and answer portion for 3-4 different adcoms. One of the adcoms was from VCOM. They said their biggest pet peeve was to see a lazy applicant reuse the ideas/topics discussed in primary applications for secondary essay questions. Take whatever I say with a grain of salt, but it worked so far... 10 interview invites lined up as of today :)

I dont know if this had been addressed in another thread, but I guess I was a little late in getting verified and just got my first secondary in today from LECOM, the DO letter has a specific set of guidelines for the recommender, but I already got my DO to send a general letter in to interfolio....are other schools like this (hoping for a specific letter tailoring to their school)??!

i mean....do they expect a DO to write 15 different and unique letters for every school an applicant is applying to? i hope not....! any help would be much appreciated :)

Generic letter will be fine. My evaluator wrote her letter before I even knew these guidelines existed.