* * 2009-2010 Secondary Applications Thread!! * *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
about secondaries...

1) If you are applying to a school with different campuses like the LECOMs or ATSUs, as long as the secondary prompt asks nothing that is school specific, such as "Describe yourself, why DO?" is it ok to copy and paste essays for both? Seeing as how lots of them have the same prompts?

2) How do we get notified about interviews? Do they usually call or email? Also, what kind of adult diapers do you buy during this time? As I am sure I will **** my pants when I get the call/email. Anyone been in class, checking their email, got an invite and crapped themselves mid-lecture? No?....:oops:

thanks everyone!

1. Yes, you can just use the same essay for both secondaries even if they are branches of the same core school.

2. Some schools call, some email, and some use snail mail.

And don't crap yourself if you get an interview. Do so if you get an acceptance. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I received the secondary paperwork from TOURO CA on Monday. I also some somewhere else on SDN that TOURO NV is sending out interview invites pre-secondary.... has anyone received an interview invite already? If so do you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been informed that last year's link to UMDNJ's Secondary no longer works. As soon as someone gets it, could you please post the link or prompts/details here? :)

No NYCOM prompts?

NYCOM's secondary is only sent to you if you are being given an interview invite (the secondary pretty much IS the interview invite). There are no essays on the secondary, but only a few short-answer.

NYCOM's secondary is only sent to you if you are being given an interview invite (the secondary pretty much IS the interview invite). There are no essays on the secondary, but only a few short-answer.

Know of any other schools like that, where the secondary=interview?!
I saw a thread a few days ago about the Touro schools being that way. Do we know of any others?!

Know of any other schools like that, where the secondary=interview?!
I saw a thread a few days ago about the Touro schools being that way. Do we know of any others?!

If I remember right, WVSOM was the same way. For Touro, it wasn't the same; everyone received a secondary and everyone received an interview. For schools like NYCOM and WVSOM, only selected applicants receive a secondary and the chance to interview.

If I remember right, WVSOM was the same way. For Touro, it wasn't the same; everyone received a secondary and everyone received an interview. For schools like NYCOM and WVSOM, only selected applicants receive a secondary and the chance to interview.

The Touro schools interview everyone who applies? That seems like a lot of interviewing...

The Touro schools interview everyone who applies? That seems like a lot of interviewing...

That's not what was meant, I don't think..

Touro had a more mainstream policy of giving secondaries to everyone they deemed *worthy* and interviewing everyone they deemed *worthy* from the group of applicants who got secondaries.

I don't think they used to bypass the secondary app step for anyone, unlike this year, I guess.

That's not what was meant, I don't think..

Touro had a more mainstream policy of giving secondaries to everyone they deemed *worthy* and interviewing everyone they deemed *worthy* from the group of applicants who got secondaries.

I don't think they used to bypass the secondary app step for anyone, unlike this year, I guess.

Thanks! I went to the tu.edu website and here's what the "official" policy is:
FYI.... found this regarding who the secondary and interview applicant process. Came from the tu.edu website under FAQ's. It looks like not every secondary gets an interview.

Q. What is the TUCOM policy regarding who receives supplemental applications and who receives interviews?

A. It is the policy of the Admissions and Standards Committee that only those applicants who meet minimum application requirements shall receive supplemental applications. In addition, not all candidates who submit supplemental applications will be invited to attend an interview. Applicants that do not qualify for a supplemental application may email the Office of Admissions ([email protected]) to determine what criteria were not met.

FYI.... found this regarding who the secondary and interview applicant process. Came from the tu.edu website under FAQ's. It looks like not every secondary gets an interview.

Q. What is the TUCOM policy regarding who receives supplemental applications and who receives interviews?

A. It is the policy of the Admissions and Standards Committee that only those applicants who meet minimum application requirements shall receive supplemental applications. In addition, not all candidates who submit supplemental applications will be invited to attend an interview. Applicants that do not qualify for a supplemental application may email the Office of Admissions ([email protected]) to determine what criteria were not met.

Right. That's the policy that 95% of schools use. Secondary does not guarantee interview in most cases.

No, I didn't mean that literally anyone who applies gets an interview. I meant that everyone that submits a secondary gets an interview. However, with NYCOM, it's not who about who gets a secondary, it's about who gets an interview (meaning they skip right to interview invites).

Also, keep in mind that Touro has 3 different campuses. For NY specifically (assuming they didn't change their policy from last year), anyone who submits a secondary (supplemental application) WILL be interviewed. That may not be the case for the other campuses, as you have pointed out.

Hey guys,

My AACOMAS was verified and sent to the schools a few weeks ago but I'm getting slightly worried because I haven't gotten any secondaries yet.
I only applied to: PCOM, NYCOM, TOURO-NY, and UMDNJ. Could some kind soul just let me know if any others have gotten anything from them? I hear the UMDNJ posted their secondary on their site so you don't need a special invite to complete it?

Thank you and sorry for being a pest!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

My AACOMAS was verified and sent to the schools a few weeks ago but I'm getting slightly worried because I haven't gotten any secondaries yet.
I only applied to: PCOM, NYCOM, TOURO-NY, and UMDNJ. Could some kind soul just let me know if any others have gotten anything from them? I hear the UMDNJ posted their secondary on their site so you don't need a special invite to complete it?

I know we will be waiting a little longer on PCOM, but I cannot comment on the others.

Hey guys,

Yeah, you should be able to fill out UMDNJ's secondary without any official word from them; I waited for months and contacted them before I realized I could have filled it out weeks ago.

As for NYCOM...are you a NY resident? If so, you can expect the secondaries/interview invites to begin in October. Otherwise, expect it in November. Yes, they're late in the process. :D

I haven't received any secondaries yet. I applied to: UMDNJ, PCOM, LECOM, NYCOM, NECOM, PCOM - GA, TOURO - NY, WVU-SOM, CCOM

should i be worried? :confused::confused::confused:

my app is verified and my payment was received, i am taking the MCAT one more time in july. do they need LORs too?

I haven't received any secondaries yet. I applied to: UMDNJ, PCOM, LECOM, NYCOM, NECOM, PCOM - GA, TOURO - NY, WVU-SOM, CCOM

should i be worried? :confused::confused::confused:

my app is verified and my payment was received, i am taking the MCAT one more time in july. do they need LORs too?

I just realized that I am not verified. My status still says submitted to AACOMAS.

I just realized that I am not verified. My status still says submitted to AACOMAS.

My status also still says submitted, but I got a message and an email on Friday evening from someone at AACOMAS saying that I am verified and my apps will be sent out in the next shipment. Perhaps you are in the same boat?

Hey guys,

Yeah, I don't know what is going on with PCOM. Their website says that they are performing a conversion to an online electronic application. PCOM also has not downloaded my letter from VirtualEvals yet either.

Also, AT STILL hasn't even started reviewing secondaries yet, according to their admissions dept. I talked to Brooke Ashley June 13 and she said they will have started by the end of this week...hopefully.

lol! that'll do it

this entire process has made me absolutely batty. I am checking AACOMAS everyday obsessively. sigh. i feel the ulcer developing. :scared:eek: it will be over soon as will the MCATs!!! I will be so happy then. :D

giraffe - Maybe my apps will be sent out with the next batch, I hope so. I submitted on June 8th.

Yeah, I don't know what is going on with PCOM. Their website says that they are performing a conversion to an online electronic application. PCOM also has not downloaded my letter from VirtualEvals yet either.

Also, AT STILL hasn't even started reviewing secondaries yet, according to their admissions dept. I talked to Brooke Ashley June 13 and she said they will have started by the end of this week...hopefully.

At Still soma or Kcom?

At Still soma or Kcom?

All of my secondary materials have been in at both schools for over a week, and neither has sent me a new pin code to refresh my status pages.

All of my secondary materials have been in at both schools for over a week, and neither has sent me a new pin code to refresh my status pages.

Maybe they are overwhelmed? I know the person who logs lors was on vacation. I think if you don't get a pin by the end of the week - then you should probably call. They picked up on the first ring for me (I recommend calling in the morning) and were very friendly.

Maybe they are overwhelmed? I know the person who logs lors was on vacation. I think if you don't get a pin by the end of the week - then you should probably call. They picked up on the first ring for me (I recommend calling in the morning) and were very friendly.

Thanks for the heads up...

My status also still says submitted, but I got a message and an email on Friday evening from someone at AACOMAS saying that I am verified and my apps will be sent out in the next shipment. Perhaps you are in the same boat?

you were right! i called them and the guy told me it will go out next thursday. thanks for the tip :)

I submitted my secondary to KCOM and SOMA on 7/12 and got the new pin code for KCOM yesterday (7/13). Have not yet heard back from SOMA.

I submitted my secondary to KCOM and SOMA on 7/12 and got the new pin code for KCOM yesterday (7/13). Have not yet heard back from SOMA.

Yea, right after I submitted they followed up with a new pin code, but, at the time, I did not have my LOR's in. I guess I was expecting the same promptness they showed me after submitting the supplemental for a new update pin code once my LOR's were turned in.

I will give it a little more time and then follow-up.

Yea, right after I submitted they followed up with a new pin code, but, at the time, I did not have my LOR's in. I guess I was expecting the same promptness they showed me after submitting the supplemental for a new update pin code once my LOR's were turned in.

I will give it a little more time and then follow-up.

I don't think they give you a new pin code.

Ok, I know the information has to be out there, but I looked and I looked and it's hard to search for, so here goes.

I submitted my primaries a week ago, but I still haven't gotten anything back yet. I heard that secondaries get sent back to you automatically by a lot of schools? My stats can't be that bad! So, I sent my primaries to:

A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Pikeville College, School of Osteopathic Medicine

Someone please tell me that they wait a little bit before sending back secondaries. Thanks, would really help. thank thank!!!~~

~D

your primaries need to be verified before they get sent out..4-6 weeks for verification and then a few more days for them to be released to schools...then maybe a week or two to get secondaries...RELAX!

Most schools won't send you secondaries until your AACOMAS is verified. You can check the status of your application by logging into AACOMAS and looking at the summary on the right column, where it says "Current" (right now it should say "Processing"). Usually it takes 4-6 weeks.

Chill, it will take some time. And no they are not all automatic.

keep in mind that September is the highest month for schools to receive LORS which are a part of the secondary application, thus, the average applicant's secondary isn't complete until September, so you are still very early in the application process. You are still 'ahead' of the masses.... take a deep breath and enjoy the few weeks before you start getting the flood of secondaries.

Also, a great resource to check and see if schools offer secondaries to everyone or cut, is each member schools summary at the aacom website. If a school as a point where they cut the summary will say something like "To attend XYZCOM you must have at least a 24 MCAT and a 3.25 GPA" not word for word, but close.

Schools like

AT Still
PCOM
LECOM

these schools have more than 1 branch...does that mean they use one secondary? or does each one have their own distinct secondary (with different questions, etc)? thanks.

Schools like

AT Still
PCOM
LECOM

these schools have more than 1 branch...does that mean they use one secondary? or does each one have their own distinct secondary (with different questions, etc)? thanks.

They usually use the exact same questions. However, you're usually going to have to convince each location why they're right for you. Luckily most branch campuses use the same general goals/mission, etc, but they often have very different patient populations, research opportunities, community programs, etc. Thus you'll have to research each campus separately. But, in an essay for PCOM-GA, it would be very acceptable to mention that you're very interested in the school due to its long history of producing great physicians through the PA campus, among other things.

I second that and keep in mind that although the schools operate under the same "umbrella" of goals, the specific things they look for can vary greatly. I interviewed at LECOM Erie, and LECOM Bradenton in the same year. In Erie they told me that they found that students with a major in social sciences did not perform as well in their program so you needed to be an exceptional candidate to be considered if your degree was psychology. Whereas Bradenton said they welcomed students from social science backgrounds because they added 'diversity' to the campus.

Even if the schools are affiliated they really are unique institutions.

Thanks so much. Interesting how branch schools look for different things...and it makes sense for why they would.

I only ask this question because I have a pretty large list of schools (~13) and don't want to be swamped with secondaries...with each school having their own questions, etc...so I just want to play this as smartly as I can! Again, thanks all. If anyone else has more to add, I'd be grateful.

Thanks so much. Interesting how branch schools look for different things...and it makes sense for why they would.

I only ask this question because I have a pretty large list of schools (~13) and don't want to be swamped with secondaries...with each school having their own questions, etc...so I just want to play this as smartly as I can! Again, thanks all. If anyone else has more to add, I'd be grateful.
I applied to 11 schools last year, and filled out 9 secondaries. Perhaps it was easier for me, as I had just submitted my primary on July 13th (countless secondaries were released by the time it was processed). With that being said, it seems as though after writing one or two secondaries I was able to copy/paste paragraphs, add a string or two specific to the school's mission or location, and send it in (of course making sure that I provided a specific enough answer to their question). It only makes sense that medical schools would have fairly similar essays - don't sweat the process. You'll find trends in the essays, and you can save yourself time once you find them.

I received the secondary paperwork from TOURO CA on Monday. I also some somewhere else on SDN that TOURO NV is sending out interview invites pre-secondary.... has anyone received an interview invite already? If so do you mind sharing your stats?

I got an interview from Touro NV, and I do not mind sharing my stats. My GPA is 3.6, with science GPA of 3.66. My MCAT is a 23M, and my primary was released 6/24/09. I also have the round of the mill extracurriculars with some teaching experience. Nothing to really shout about. If you applied and have these stats or better (which many probably do) then I would expect an interview fairly soon. Good luck to you all.:)

Hey Everyone!
So I'm filling out my secondary applications, and I have a few questions...

First- On the secondary apps when they ask for a personal essay describing why you want to become an osteopathic physician, etc, Can I just put my personal statement that I put on my primary application??? Or do I have to write new essays?

Also- We are supposed to have letters of recommendation from a D.O....my letter of recommendation is actually a letter signed by three physicians, 2 MDs and a DO....do you think that is ok?

Thanks guys!

Hey Everyone!
So I'm filling out my secondary applications, and I have a few questions...

First- On the secondary apps when they ask for a personal essay describing why you want to become an osteopathic physician, etc, Can I just put my personal statement that I put on my primary application??? Or do I have to write new essays?

Also- We are supposed to have letters of recommendation from a D.O....my letter of recommendation is actually a letter signed by three physicians, 2 MDs and a DO....do you think that is ok?

Thanks guys!

1. NO, they want something different or they wouldnt ask the question. A few of them even say not to repeat things that can be found on your primary app.

2. I'm sure it is ok, if you want you can double check with the schools but I doubt that'd be a problem.

I know there is already a secondary application thread, but I was having a hard time finding the secondary essay prompts for each school in that thread so I made this. Anyone who has received the 2009-2010 secondaries please post the prompts here. Thanks in advanced from all of us who are still to be verified.

1. NO, they want something different or they wouldnt ask the question. A few of them even say not to repeat things that can be found on your primary app.

In my personal statement, I mentioned a specific event that caused me to pursue a career as a physician.. the problem was that same event is what made me want to be a DO.. However, in my personal statement, I just described the general situation and didn't give much detail that answered the question Why DO... So when I'm answering the Why DO? questions in the secondaries, it should be all right to mention this event again but in greater detail, right?

In my personal statement, I mentioned a specific event that caused me to pursue a career as a physician.. the problem was that same event is what made me want to be a DO.. However, in my personal statement, I just described the general situation and didn't give much detail that answered the question Why DO... So when I'm answering the Why DO? questions in the secondaries, it should be all right to mention this event again but in greater detail, right?

Yes.

Merging with the existing secondary essays thread in the main Pre Osteo forum. That way everybody can see the new essay prompts as they are leaked. :)