* * 2009-2010 Secondary Applications Thread!! * *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
So...
Once AACOMAS has been verified and sent to school...at this point do they decide to send a rejection or ask for a secondary? OR does every school expect a secondary before rejection?

Depends on the school. Some will send you the secondary automatically after getting your primary, some have initial GPA/MCAT screening before sending the secondary, and some will wait and only send the secondary to you if invited to interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school. Some will send you the secondary automatically after getting your primary, some have initial GPA/MCAT screening before sending the secondary, and some will wait and only send the secondary to you if invited to interview

thank you for the quick reply.

is there a thread here that has that info based on school?

there was a "secondaries questions" thread last year. A search should garner you everything you ever wanted and more.

there was a "secondaries questions" thread last year. A search should garner you everything you ever wanted and more.

yep...I did look thru the secondary thread...but it was more about essay questions, etc...I didn't see any replies specifically about rejection, etc.

A lot of DO schools employ a GPA and MCAT cut off (normally around 2.7 BCMP/overall and between 17 and 20). If you pass that cut off then they invite you to complete a secondary. If you don't make the cut then they send you a rejection notice. Good luck!

A lot of DO schools employ a GPA and MCAT cut off (normally around 2.7 BCMP/overall and between 17 and 20). If you pass that cut off then they invite you to complete a secondary. If you don't make the cut then they send you a rejection notice. Good luck!

Cool! Thanks for the info.

Any school can reject you at 3 different stages in the process: 1) Post-Primary, 2) Post-Secondary, or 3) Post-Interview. In practice most schools will give you a secondary since it generates an extra fee for the school unless your GPA/MCAT is really outside their range.

Well I took mcats 1.31.09.
The mcat website says that scores should come out 3.3.09

I'm assuming then there is no point in doing secondaries who's deadlines
are 3.1.09?

Also, I've been accepted to my choice of caribb school, but thinking of
deferring and applying early to US schools. If I apply on day 1...and defer for Jan. entry...is that enough time to know if I'm staying stateside?

Well I took mcats 1.31.09.
The mcat website says that scores should come out 3.3.09

I'm assuming then there is no point in doing secondaries who's deadlines
are 3.1.09?

Also, I've been accepted to my choice of caribb school, but thinking of
deferring and applying early to US schools. If I apply on day 1...and defer for Jan. entry...is that enough time to know if I'm staying stateside?

If you're going to defer, I'd defer for a year. Schools aren't finished interviewing/handing out acceptances by January.

If you're going to defer, I'd defer for a year. Schools aren't finished interviewing/handing out acceptances by January.

So even applying uber early? Does this hold true for the US allopathic schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
So even applying uber early? Does this hold true for the US allopathic schools?
No. Schools DO or MD are by no means done with their decisions yet. I submitted on the 1st day, and I am still waiting to here back from like 20 MD programs, one I interviewed at in Sept. and I still don't have their decision. I am also on a few waitlists, you could be pulled from those anytime up until the start of classes ~august. By no means will you know for sure if you are staying stateside by jan. or possibly even by may you might not know.

i thought D.O. schools use sGPA instead of BCMP, or it is only for aacomas?

Also, do schools often reject ppl after they turn in their secondaries, and the reason being is "your gpa is too low"? That would be pretty jacked up.... I mean didn't they already screen out applicants with low gpas by primary?

Last edited:
i thought D.O. schools use sGPA instead of BCMP, or it is only for aacomas?

Also, do schools often reject ppl after they turn in their secondaries, and the reason being is "your gpa is too low"? That would be pretty jacked up.... I mean didn't they already screen out applicants with low gpas by primary?

No, you're correct; DO schools utilize science GPAs, not BCMP (which incorrectly implies math).

And I have heard of people getting rejected after sending their secondaries for reasons that could have been deduced from their primaries. I don't think it's right either, but it happens.

MSUCOM is famous for demanding a secondary fee before they'll look at you (or they were when I applied).

Well...I applied to 13 DO schools...
I'm thinking since I'm SOOOOOOOOO LATE in the cycle and thats
going against me...that I don't want to do 13 secondaries...save me
some $$$.

I'm thinking of only doing my top 3 schools.

Does this seem logical?

some $$$.

Does this seem logical?

if you really don't wana do those secondary essays, i guess you can apply to schools that don't do secondaries.... i wonder if theres any :laugh:

No. The later you apply, the broader you apply. Schools are now getting late and are getting more selective in deciding who gets the few remaining interview positions left. They aren't going to give their remaining interview spots to the folks 1/2 way down the list in case there is a nice stellar applicant applying late too.

However, if you're one of those stellar applicants, by all means apply to only a few schools. I will warn you, however, that most people who do that are sorely disappointed.
some $$$.

Does this seem logical?

No. The later you apply, the broader you apply. Schools are now getting late and are getting more selective in deciding who gets the few remaining interview positions left. They aren't going to give their remaining interview spots to the folks 1/2 way down the list in case there is a nice stellar applicant applying late too.

However, if you're one of those stellar applicants, by all means apply to only a few schools. I will warn you, however, that most people who do that are sorely disappointed.

Ok...well...my mcat scores are suppose to be out tomorrow or so.
I've missed NSU supplementary deadline (3.1.09)

I've received confirmation that the following has received my AACOMAS.
1. LECOM-Erie,Brad
2. UNECOM
3. I'm waiting on UMDNJ, NYCOM, TOURO-NY,CA,NV, ATSU-Az,Western,OU,PCOM
4. I think I'm past PCOM's suppl. deadline
5. In the meanwhile, I've made the decision not to go to the new DO school...thus knocking out the Touros & ATSU.
6. I think OU only takes 10% OOS?

CONCLUSION: I think I'm down to doing supplementaries for
-LECOM-E,B
-UNECOM
-UMDNJ
-NYCOM
-Western (last pick since I'd like to stay in the northeast)

I NEED MY MCAT SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!

Not all schools screen before sending out the secondary and the ones that do only do it to make sure you meet a minimum standard. It doesn't mean that GPA or MCAT will get you in. It's just a way to say this is the absolute minimum we will take, but if we get thousands of applicants with higher stats, you still might be rejected before interview. Both MD and DO schools do this.

Not all schools screen before sending out the secondary and the ones that do only do it to make sure you meet a minimum standard. It doesn't mean that GPA or MCAT will get you in. It's just a way to say this is the absolute minimum we will take, but if we get thousands of applicants with higher stats, you still might be rejected before interview. Both MD and DO schools do this.

And then there are schools like Western that are confirmed as saying that getting a secondary only happens after a thorough review of the primary, and not just GPA/MCAT.

Then there are schools like NYCOM that don't send a secondary until they want you to interview.

And then there are schools like Western that are confirmed as saying that getting a secondary only happens after a thorough review of the primary, and not just GPA/MCAT.

Then there are schools like NYCOM that don't send a secondary until they want you to interview.

Thanks CB!

So then can I conclude:
1. For Western: if they ask for a secondary my primary pique their interest?
2. For NYCOM: asking for a secondary is a good indication? Don't blow the interview!

Thanks CB!

So then can I conclude:
1. For Western: if they ask for a secondary my primary pique their interest?
2. For NYCOM: asking for a secondary is a good indication? Don't blow the interview!

1. Yes, according to their admissions office.
2. At NYCOM, secondary = interview. Period. (someone correct me if I'm wrong here)

Well I just received an email from a counselor at Western:

"I received your letters of recommendation and your personal statement. As soon as your application is uploaded into our system I will be sending you the supplemental application."

I know for DO schools, you get a call and receive a formal letter once you get accepted.

I was just wondering in what format do schools invite students for secondary applications? through e-mail? or through mail (regular or certified)? or a phone call (which I doubt it)?

Thanks.

Some DO schools will send you an email inviting you to complete a secondary. I remember for AZCOM, Nova, UNECOM and Western I received emails inviting me to work on a secondary. However, I think PCOM sent a letter with the secondary enclosed. Long story short, I think it varies by school in how they contact you to complete the secondary. Hope that helps!

I know for DO schools, you get a call and receive a formal letter once you get accepted.

I was just wondering in what format do schools invite students for secondary applications? through e-mail? or through mail (regular or certified)? or a phone call (which I doubt it)?

Thanks.

It varies with schools, but most send out emails for interview invites. Pikeville is the only one I know of the snail mails their interview invites.

Tuck beat me to the punch. LOL

im just wondering if anyone knows any schools that don't use secondary appli at all? I tried searching but nothing really came out :p

nycom sends you the secondary when they invite you for an interview. (you have to bring the secondary with you to the interview completed.

some $$$.

Does this seem logical?

I would think you're quite picky for someone applying so late. What doesn't seem logical is why you paid for the primaries for 13 schools when you were planning to fill out only 3 secondaries. :rolleyes:

I agree with ShyRem; apply broadly and you'll have the best chance to get into somewhere.

And yes CB, you're correct. :thumbup:

I would think you're quite picky for someone applying so late. What doesn't seem logical is why you paid for the primaries for 13 schools when you were planning to fill out only 3 secondaries. :rolleyes:

I agree with ShyRem; apply broadly and you'll have the best chance to get into somewhere.

And yes CB, you're correct. :thumbup:

Well...when I began the whole medical school appl. process my rationale was apply to every school that has a late deadline. The deadline that I chose
was 2.1.09, since I was taking mcats 1.31.09.

So I applied to 13 DO. Now keep in mind I didn't have a clue really about the process...I was just being told...apply apply apply!!!! and hurry up with it...

So I did...took the mcats...been shadowing a DO...been volunteering...and waiting...

At the end of all this...I think I've come to realize that I may have absolutely no shot due to being super late...I also don't want to spend
13 x $50 - $65...So I want to keep them to my 'dream' DO schools which basically means ones in the northeast.

So I'm thinking...
LECOM, NYCOM, UMDNJ, UNECOM

I missed NSU suppl. deadline (3.1 09)...I've eliminated all DO schools that don't have a match list...(Touros, ATSU-Az) Eliminated OU after finding out a large portion that gets accepted are instate...

When will secondaries be available for the 2009-2010 cycle? Do schools send them out in an e-mail or are we supposed to go to their website to find and fill out the secondaries?

If it's on a case by case basis, can you please list the schools that do it one way or another.

Thanks

When will secondaries be available for the 2009-2010 cycle? Do schools send them out in an e-mail or are we supposed to go to their website to find and fill out the secondaries?

If it's on a case by case basis, can you please list the schools that do it one way or another.

Thanks

Every school will send you a secondary via e-mail. It is usually a link to their password protected site. You just have to sit and wait.

However, if you like, you can start pre-writing them. Look at the class threads to see the prompts from last year. Usually the prompts don't change.

I received the invite to complete a secondary application for MSUCOM the other day and just sent it in this morning...it was quite involved and I just hope that not all of them will be like that!

I received the invite to complete a secondary application for MSUCOM the other day and just sent it in this morning...it was quite involved and I just hope that not all of them will be like that!

I don't think they interview so that is why it was so extensive. Lucky though, I have been verified for 2 weeks and havent seen any movement of my app towards schools yet.

I received an email from VCOM today saying that they received my AACOMAS app and would get back to me with in a week. Do they really get back to you in that long? Has anyone else gotten a similar email?

I received an email from VCOM today saying that they received my AACOMAS app and would get back to me with in a week. Do they really get back to you in that long? Has anyone else gotten a similar email?

Yeah I believe so because if you check the CIB it notes that they screen applicants before sending out the secondary.

Do people not pay attention to the CIB or something? When I talked to an admissions lady at MSUCOM she said about a third of applicants that submit a primary don't meet their published minimums to receive a secondary. Do many people just not read this publication or think that they'll look past their GPA?

I don't think they interview so that is why it was so extensive. Lucky though,
random.gif
I have been verified for 2 weeks and havent seen any movement of my app towards schools yet.

I much rather go to an interview, over filling out some of these secondaries. They just take forever.

hey, who said it was a full page?

On the Erie Supplemental, the essay page says "[a]s a general guideline, you should try to keep your answers to one page of text."

I cannot get past half a page on the second prompt.

The first prompt was not too bad--I had been expecting something like that to come up at some point.

On the Erie Supplemental, the essay page says "[a]s a general guideline, you should try to keep your answers to one page of text."

I cannot get past half a page on the second prompt.

The first prompt was not too bad--I had been expecting something like that to come up at some point.

Yeah its rough, I'll hafta sleep on that prompt and get back to it in the AM. DMU supplemental no essays, awesome :thumbup:

Uh guys...."keep it to one page of text" means "Try your hardest not to go *OVER* a page because we find that annoying/counterproductive."

Don't try to force it to a full page. If you write a meaningful essay that's only half a page, but gets all your points across in a clear way, be happy and turn it in. Don't try to just add words to it.

Uh guys...."keep it to one page of text" means "Try your hardest not to go *OVER* a page because we find that annoying/counterproductive."

Don't try to force it to a full page. If you write a meaningful essay that's only half a page, but gets all your points across in a clear way, be happy and turn it in. Don't try to just add words to it.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I made a list of the schools that I need to fulfill a pre-req for--mostly behavioral science. As I was working on my LECOM secondary and researching their website, I noticed that they accept Medical Ethics or a Philosophy class as a behavioral science, which differs from AACOMAS.

My question is whether or not this will be caught during the secondary screening phase or if I need to do something proactice to make sure I receive credit for it by LECOM?

*I have taken Biomedical Ethics as part of my philosophy major.

I got the secondary from NOVA today. Does anyone know if we have to use the evaluation forms provided or if we can just have letters of recommendation on letter head mailed to them. I saw the CIB said they accept paper via snail mail I believe. THanks