2009-2010 Clinical/Counseling Psych Programs Rejection Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IIT rejected my PhD clinical application, via snail mail received today. Didn't think to look at the date of the letter. Unexpectedly, they also offered to forward my application for consideration by their 2 year MS Rehab Counseling program. So one letter = one definite rejection + one possible do-over. I'm not going to rule it out, anything can happen next week with two programs likely to get back in touch with their post-interview decisions (gulp!). I just wonder to what extent the MS option would be akin to Columbia/TC's MA in Developmental Psych or the New School's MA in General Psych options. That is, would I gain any extra momentum when re-applying for PhD/PsyD programs once the MS is in hand (or all but in hand)?

Anybody out there go this route at IIT or know somebody who has?

Members don't see this ad.

Rejection via snail mail today for CUNY Neuropsych PhD program (Basic Track)

IIT rejected my PhD clinical application, via snail mail received today. Didn't think to look at the date of the letter. Unexpectedly, they also offered to forward my application for consideration by their 2 year MS Rehab Counseling program. So one letter = one definite rejection + one possible do-over. I'm not going to rule it out, anything can happen next week with two programs likely to get back in touch with their post-interview decisions (gulp!). I just wonder to what extent the MS option would be akin to Columbia/TC's MA in Developmental Psych or the New School's MA in General Psych options. That is, would I gain any extra momentum when re-applying for PhD/PsyD programs once the MS is in hand (or all but in hand)?

Did you interview there?

Members don't see this ad :)

I originally considered the program (PhD), but decided to leave it off my short list-- had other options, plus the POI I e-mailed never responsed (I know, I know.. silly reason, but nearly every professor I e-mailed elsewhere responded).

The rehabilitation counseling program is, I believe, just like any other, and is CORE accredited. So, you could become a licensed rehab counselor upon graduation. IMO, this is a degree with much more scope (i.e., you can actually do something with it past bachelors-level work) than a general experimental degree. Apparently, a lot of people with the degree apply to doctoral programs in clinical or counseling psychology, but if you're not into rehab, I probably wouldn't encourage it. If you are and you like this particular program upon closer inspection, you might want to check out UW-Madison: #1 program in the country for rehab counseling, and they also have a PhD program.

I originally considered the program (PhD), but decided to leave it off my short list-- had other options, plus the POI I e-mailed never responsed (I know, I know.. silly reason, but nearly every professor I e-mailed elsewhere responded).

The rehabilitation counseling program is, I believe, just like any other, and is CORE accredited. So, you could become a licensed rehab counselor upon graduation. IMO, this is a degree with much more scope (i.e., you can actually do something with it past bachelors-level work) than a general experimental degree. Apparently, a lot of people with the degree apply to doctoral programs in clinical or counseling psychology, but if you're not into rehab, I probably wouldn't encourage it. If you are and you like this particular program upon closer inspection, you might want to check out UW-Madison: #1 program in the country for rehab counseling, and they also have a PhD program.

Thanks -- Madison is the uber-research-intensive PhD program, no? Rehab does appeal to me, though I don't know how much there is outside the vocational rehab emphasis of the field.

This could be a decent option inasmuch as it is tied to internships, a research project, the goal of attaining licensure, and significant possibilities for financial aid. They even tout the program as based on the Boulder model, if that makes sense at the MS level. So overall it does seem like a decent back up/do over option especially if I could get advanced standing if/when I reapplied for a doctorate.

I just may call to see how long I can sit on the offer. Big week coming up with two PsyD programs making post-interview decisions!!

IIT stands for?

Hoftsra Post interview Clinical Ph.D program _ REJECT.

This is posted after some days of reflection. Otherwise, this professional forum would've heard some unprofessional words. :ninja:

::::wwooooooo saaaaaa::::: :::rubs ears:::

Rejection to UVM clinical phd via snail mail on March 19th, letter dated March 17th.

They wrote that on St. Patty's Day--is nothing sacred? :(

Rejection to UVM clinical phd via snail mail on March 19th, letter dated March 17th.

They wrote that on St. Patty's Day--is nothing sacred? :(

UVM's loss, its freezing up in VT anyway!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoftsra Post interview Clinical Ph.D program _ REJECT.

This is posted after some days of reflection. Otherwise, this professional forum would've heard some unprofessional words. :ninja:

::::wwooooooo saaaaaa::::: :::rubs ears:::

I am very sorry to hear that you didn't get in. I figured I was rejected since I didn't get a call from them when acceptances went out, but I also haven't gotten rejected yet. Do you mind letting me know how you received the news? I wonder if I'm on some kind of waitlist or if the letter is just taking awhile.. I live in NYC though so you'd think it would come pretty quickly

I called Joan. She told me personally. I see no need in anxious waiting and am very proactive when it comes to status inquiries.

I am very sorry to hear that you didn't get in. I figured I was rejected since I didn't get a call from them when acceptances went out, but I also haven't gotten rejected yet. Do you mind letting me know how you received the news? I wonder if I'm on some kind of waitlist or if the letter is just taking awhile.. I live in NYC though so you'd think it would come pretty quickly

Post-interview rejection from Massachusettes School of Professional Psychology Clinical PsyD. Received 3/22/10 via email to check online status....post interview rejection feels like a slap to the face

So I got a letter Thursday from Wright State Psy.D. program telling me I was rejected..... today they sent me an email telling me that I was waitlisted. What is up with that??? Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm just a little confused.

So I got a letter Thursday from Wright State Psy.D. program telling me I was rejected..... today they sent me an email telling me that I was waitlisted. What is up with that??? Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm just a little confused.

I remember reading a post a while back from someone who had been rejected at a university (not Wright State) and then later accepted. Obviously, this is rare, but it happens. . . . But, I would contact Wright State just to make sure that you have in fact been waitlisted.

3 official rejections in the past 2 days:

SUNY-Binghamton - email
SUNY-Stony Brook - snail mailed
Vanderbilt - snail mailed.

Expected but hey, one can still hope for miracles.

I remember reading a post a while back from someone who had been rejected at a university (not Wright State) and then later accepted. Obviously, this is rare, but it happens. . . . But, I would contact Wright State just to make sure that you have in fact been waitlisted.

yep, this was Markp. I think it was UHUHS. I think it's pretty rare but obviously it happens.

3 official rejections in the past 2 days:

SUNY-Binghamton - email
SUNY-Stony Brook - snail mailed
Vanderbilt - snail mailed.

Expected but hey, one can still hope for miracles.

I am still owed 4. I wonder when they will show up.

How many different ways are there to word a rejection letter??

I've gotten so many variations! Why don't they just send me a note on their official letterhead that just reads, "NO!".

Hi all! Just wondering if anyone has gotten waitlisted/rejected from Boston University Clinical PhD. or Rutgers Clinical PhD.???

I contacted each program to get a sense of my status but their responses were...vague.

I found it especially goofy that Rutgers graduate admissions emailed me @10:30 pm to say "The department has not yet rendered a decision on your application..." :confused:

I kinda expect rejections but do some places not even tell you if you are waitlisted? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :rolleyes:

I am still owed 4. I wonder when they will show up.

But you have an acceptance, lol, so these don't matter anymore!

Got 2 canadian schools left. I'll hope for a miracle, but if not I'll just settle on a master's program that has actually been the only program to contact me.

But you have an acceptance, lol, so these don't matter anymore!

Got 2 canadian schools left. I'll hope for a miracle, but if not I'll just settle on a master's program that has actually been the only program to contact me.

You're right. I should keep my eye on the positive.

I just don't want to come home to those rejection letters in my mailbox. I know it's silly but I just don't want them. I guess I would prefer an email.

Yeah it really sucks. My parents are always like "OH you got mail today :) :) :) :)"

I'm like, who cares, lol. They kinda don't get that POIs would have contacted you personally.

Yeah it really sucks. My parents are always like "OH you got mail today :) :) :) :)"

I'm like, who cares, lol. They kinda don't get that POIs would have contacted you personally.

Some schools still do acceptances via snail mail (I think Catholic's MSW program is that way). I know by the thickness of the envelope... a thin envelope is def. a rejection, although I thought I had a rejection from Mason's MSW program only to open it to find it was a letter from the financial aid office asking me for more info.... Otherwise, no word from them, so I'm assuming that's a rejection, too. Come to think of it, my one and only acceptance so far has been via email...

Rejection from Washington SU Counseling (no interview) via application website. Dated 3/22. No email or heads up sent.

Rejected off waitlist for their clinical phd via email from POI today 3/25. I was the next alternate so close to my first choice.

Rejected from Hawaii-Manoa. No interview, so it was expected, and I'm actually not that upset about it. Oh well, I'll just try again next year.

Also rejected from UCSB - my dream program. I didn't get an interview, so this was expected, but I won't lie, a teeny tiny part of me was hoping that somehow a miracle might happen. It took them FOREVER to update my status online.

Oh well. Maybe its for the best.

Has anyone been rejected from Rutgers Clinical PhD? Or waitlisted for that matter? I haven't heard anything either way so I'm trying to keep hope alive! :scared:

Thanks!

rejected from Mizzou 3/25.....sadly, I realized about 3 weeks after I applied, that the match wasn't there lol
Woops! $50 better spent next time I suppose :D

Eh...I'm still waitlisted at GWU (PsyD) and Brooklyn (PhD). Anyone else still waitlisted for these schools? I'm super bummed.

fingers crossed that you'll be a cohort mate!!!

"Thank you for your interest in the Graduate Program in Clinical Psychology. I am sorry to inform you that the Admissions Committee, which reviewed your application and credentials, did not recommend admission. Graduate programs at Rutgers receive applications from many outstanding candidates..."

Thats kind of obnoxious

"Thank you for your interest in the Graduate Program in Clinical Psychology. I am sorry to inform you that the Admissions Committee, which reviewed your application and credentials, did not recommend admission. Graduate programs at Rutgers receive applications from many outstanding candidates..."

Thats kind of obnoxious

hmn - was this email, snail mail, or status update? I'm expecting a rejection from them

It was email. I got the same thing.

The only thing more obnoxious is when you get two rejections from the same program...thanks Fordham for rubbing it in!

I feel for those of you that didn't get into Rutgers. I'm expecting the same outcome very soon :(.

I feel for those of you that didn't get into Rutgers. I'm expecting the same outcome very soon :(.

I wasn't even invited to interview there but my status still says "No Decision" online. Crazy how much time it takes to get the official notice...

Same here! Didn't interview and my status has been the same since Dec. when I applied. A couple weeks ago I tried to find out if I was waitlisted but this is the response I got from [email protected]:

"The department has not yet rendered a decision on your application. To obtain the most up-to-date activity on your record, continue to monitor your status online at:
http://gradstudy.rutgers.edu/statusnotes.shtml"

Thats kind of obnoxious

I should be getting one of those soon. I wasn't interviewed but I emailed my POI (Dr. Abela) and he ended up only interviewing and then accepting one student who subsequently accepted the offer. He sent me a very kind email.

Same here! Didn't interview and my status has been the same since Dec. when I applied. A couple weeks ago I tried to find out if I was waitlisted but this is the response I got from [email protected]:

"The department has not yet rendered a decision on your application. To obtain the most up-to-date activity on your record, continue to monitor your status online at:
http://gradstudy.rutgers.edu/statusnotes.shtml"

Sounds a lot like what happened with one of my apps. I knew I had been rejected but hadn't received an official notice... at least not until I emailed them saying that my online status wasn't updated yet... then BOOM my status was up within an hour of my email. I guess they just needed a gentle reminder to update the online app.

Last edited:
Two very similarly worded rejection letters arrived in the mail today, from places that I hadn't interviewed at. University of Denver (dated 3/22) and Widener University (dated 3/16). At least Denver gave me a hint that my transcripts were the weak point of my application.

Still waiting on two schools. Perhaps next week all will be revealed...

Two very similarly worded rejection letters arrived in the mail today, from places that I hadn't interviewed at. University of Denver (dated 3/22) and Widener University (dated 3/16). At least Denver gave me a hint that my transcripts were the weak point of my application.

Still waiting on two schools. Perhaps next week all will be revealed...

clinical or clinical PsyD?

I got my rejection from Univ of Denver Clinical PsyD today by snail mail. was not invited to interview.