2009-2010 Clinical/Counseling Psych Programs Rejection Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejection from UVA this morning via online status update. Boo.

Members don't see this ad.

Received a rejection letter from Fairleigh Dickinson via snail-mail. The letter seemed more like advertisement for their Master's degree programs than a rejection letter...classless.:eek:

Nah, it's still good feedback. Better than a rejection!

I think terpskins10 meant that applying there in the first place was a waste of money since the professor was switching to another university. : )

I agree with you that the contact from the POI was nice. It is better than an outright rejection.

I just think that is a sad situation. . . . I'm sorry futureappsy2. That's rough. I hope it wasn't one of your top choices!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think terpskins10 meant that applying there in the first place was a waste of money since the professor was switching to another university. : )

Yup! It was more of a joke than anything. I think futureapppsy has a couple other choices to consider :cool:

Yup! It was more of a joke than anything. I think futureapppsy has a couple other choices to consider :cool:

Yep. She's been pretty darn fortunate in this process, but I still hope this particular program wasn't on the top of her list.

Just received a letter from Duquesne today that they could not offer me admissions. It was a pretty nice letter via snail mail. Their application was FREE so I decided to give their Clinical Psychology PhD program a try.

Just received a letter from Duquesne today that they could not offer me admissions. It was a pretty nice letter via snail mail. Their application was FREE so I decided to give their Clinical Psychology PhD program a try.

Wow, I didn't realize that there was a program out there without an application fee. That's nice. But, of course, there is still the cost of having the GRE scores and transcripts sent there. : )

Rejections via snail mail for Northeastern Counseling Ph.D and Duquesne Clinical Ph.D

University of Oregon-Clinical PhD rejected today via snail mail :(.

Rejection received via snail mail, dated Feb. 17, 2010, Clinical PhD program

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I feel terrible asking this but if the person who received the post-interview Drexel rejection would not mind PMing me their POI I would really appreciate it. I am on pins and needles and am wondering if I should give up hope or not...

thank you and good luck on the rest of the process!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dare I ask if anyone has heard from John Jay?

Isn't there some sort of policy that schools have to tell you if you are waitlisted? It's been over a month and despite attempts to correspond to find out application status, I have no idea if I'm waitlisted, rejected, or accepted. Complete and utter silence on the other end. It's so frustrating ...

Thanks

I just received an email today from Yeshiva University (Clinical Psy.D) program saying:

At the present moment you are still under consideration for a doctoral program at the Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology. This status is still effective and pending. The Committee on Admissions has authorized me to inform you that you have also at this time been accepted for admission to a course of study leading to a Master of Arts Degree in Mental Health Counseling for the semester commencing Fall, 2010. Should an opening occur and should you be accepted to a doctoral program, that acceptance will, of course, take precedence over acceptance to a Master's program in Mental Health Counseling. Furthermore, we wish to make it clear that your acceptance of admission to the M.A. program at this stage in no way affects your status on the alternate list or the likelihood that you will be offered admission to a doctoral program between now and the beginning of the school year.

Is this their way of telling me I'm rejected and they want me to go to their masters program? It kind of frustrates me because I'm already in a masters program AND I checked off the box on their application that I wasn't interested in their masters program if in case I didn't get into their doctoral program.. ugh.. Did anyone else get something like this? What does this mean?

I feel like I just received a vague break-up letter :confused:

Found out when checking my online status last night on the MyWisc website for the clinical PhD program.

Dare I ask if anyone has heard from John Jay?

Isn't there some sort of policy that schools have to tell you if you are waitlisted? It's been over a month and despite attempts to correspond to find out application status, I have no idea if I'm waitlisted, rejected, or accepted. Complete and utter silence on the other end. It's so frustrating ...

Thanks

Also, if there is anyone out there (lukers included) who know for sure they don't want to accept the John Jay offer, please please let the program know ASAP.

I just received an email today from Yeshiva University (Clinical Psy.D) program saying:

At the present moment you are still under consideration for a doctoral program at the Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology. This status is still effective and pending. The Committee on Admissions has authorized me to inform you that you have also at this time been accepted for admission to a course of study leading to a Master of Arts Degree in Mental Health Counseling for the semester commencing Fall, 2010. Should an opening occur and should you be accepted to a doctoral program, that acceptance will, of course, take precedence over acceptance to a Master's program in Mental Health Counseling. Furthermore, we wish to make it clear that your acceptance of admission to the M.A. program at this stage in no way affects your status on the alternate list or the likelihood that you will be offered admission to a doctoral program between now and the beginning of the school year.

Is this their way of telling me I'm rejected and they want me to go to their masters program? It kind of frustrates me because I'm already in a masters program AND I checked off the box on their application that I wasn't interested in their masters program if in case I didn't get into their doctoral program.. ugh.. Did anyone else get something like this? What does this mean?

It seems like a waitlist to me, with "alternate list" and all. Good luck! :luck:

Sorry about the letter...and if you dont feel like answering questions I understand... its a hard letter to receive. Do you mind me asking if it was a mass email?

I remember reading that rejections would be posted online with in a week of interview invites going out. Did anyone ever actually get rejections online?

Thanks!

I received the same email last friday. I was also wodering what it meant and thought we may be on some sort of waitlist. It upset me as well because I already have a masters degree and I am not interested in attaining another one. If anyone else has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I received the same email last friday. I was also wodering what it meant and thought we may be on some sort of waitlist. It upset me as well because I already have a masters degree and I am not interested in attaining another one. If anyone else has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

this sounds like a waitlist situation.. I would contact them and ask them what it means, and if you're on a waitlist, what your place is on the list.

Rejection received 3/6/10 via snail mail from The Catholic University of America.:thumbdown:

Do you know if anyone got acceptance letters yet? I didnt get any email from them since the interview...

I never received an interview from them, so to see this letter was quite a surprise. I decided that I had had enough of this waiting game and called the office. This letter was sent to both, students who interviewed and those that did not. If you have not received an interview you are out of consideration (obv.) As an aside, I inquired as to the cost of their masters program and it runs about 30,000 a year. Comparable to others, but a whole lot of money in my opinion.

I never received an interview from them, so to see this letter was quite a surprise. I decided that I had had enough of this waiting game and called the office. This letter was sent to both, students who interviewed and those that did not. If you have not received an interview you are out of consideration (obv.) As an aside, I inquired as to the cost of their masters program and it runs about 30,000 a year. Comparable to others, but a whole lot of money in my opinion.

30k? For just tuition (not living expenses)? That's not worth it, IMO!

I had an interview but I have not heard back at all from them. Can you please explain this letter? Was it sent to everyone, or just people "on the waiting list" who were interviewed, and others who weren't interviewed but were accepted to the masters program?? I guess it is time to call the office, right? getting nervous over here...

I received a rejection letter from the Psy D School/Clinical Combined Program for Yeshiva. I know that a lot of people have been asking about it. Sorry to disappoint everyone.

Got my official rejection from Pittsburgh today via snail mail. It was a very nice rejection...

Does anyone have any opinions on what the proper way to respond to an email from the POI rejecting you is? I'm not heartbroken (I have an acceptance), but I feel like I need to respond if nothing at all to say thanks for letting me know and not making me wait any longer. I don't want to sever any potential connections, but I don't want to name drop my acceptance (esp. since I haven't accepted yet) either. Maybe I'm just thinking about this too much ...

I received a rejection letter from the Psy D School/Clinical Combined Program for Yeshiva. I know that a lot of people have been asking about it. Sorry to disappoint everyone.
Nobody has received a rejection letter yet from Clinical Health- is that right?

I received a rejection letter from Saint Louis University a week or so ago. If I heard correctly through the grapevine, they have also already had their interviews.

EDIT--- I just realized that was super vague. I applied to the clinical PhD program and lets say the letter came....Feb. 22? Sometime around then.

Does anyone have any opinions on what the proper way to respond to an email from the POI rejecting you is? I'm not heartbroken (I have an acceptance), but I feel like I need to respond if nothing at all to say thanks for letting me know and not making me wait any longer. I don't want to sever any potential connections, but I don't want to name drop my acceptance (esp. since I haven't accepted yet) either. Maybe I'm just thinking about this too much ...

I think I'd go with what you said - I don't know that you need to tell them you were accepted elsewhere - as you said, you haven't decided yet, and you don't want to come across as defensive. You can just thank them for their time and for letting you know - short and professional. :)

I said something along the lines of "Thank you for letting me know of the decision..it was a pleasure meeting you and I'm sure we will bump into each other at conferences in the future"

I already got a phone rejection post-interview, but now I have it in paper.

Post-interview rejection from University of Maine via email from POI on 3/8/10. (The person who got the first offer already accepted it.)

Post-interview rejection from University of Maine via email from POI on 3/8/10. (The person who got the first offer already accepted it.)

Would love to know who your POI was there if you don't mind.

I wonder if the spot that was accepted was the one that I know about... a girl that I spent a LOT of time with at interviews accepted an offer to U Maine...

Rejection by email for Notre Dame's Counseling Psychology Ph.D program. :(

So, I haven't actually received a rejection yet BUT the school I thought (PsyD) was a perfect fit started giving out acceptances three days ago and I haven't hear from them (when I called they said a decision has not been made on my file yet). Now I know it is premature to assume rejection, but I think it may be accurate to assume I was not a top pick since some have heard and I have not. This is discouraging since I thought I showed best for them all around (interview, cv, etc) compared to the other programs I applied for. In short, I've convinced myself 4 for 4 rejections are on their way.

1. Am I reading too far into not hearing 3 days after acceptances started coming out?

2. What the HEY can I do for the next year to better my chances second time around?

So, I haven't actually received a rejection yet BUT the school I thought (PsyD) was a perfect fit started giving out acceptances three days ago and I haven't hear from them (when I called they said a decision has not been made on my file yet). Now I know it is premature to assume rejection, but I think it may be accurate to assume I was not a top pick since some have heard and I have not. This is discouraging since I thought I showed best for them all around (interview, cv, etc) compared to the other programs I applied for. In short, I've convinced myself 4 for 4 rejections are on their way.

1. Am I reading too far into not hearing 3 days after acceptances started coming out?

2. What the HEY can I do for the next year to better my chances second time around?

Which school are you talking about? I feel the same way as you. I've had one wait list and another school gave out acceptances yesterday so im expecting a rejection. This is my first time around so unfortunately I don't have any advice but wish you good luck.

This is discouraging since I thought I showed best for them all around (interview, cv, etc) compared to the other programs I applied for. In short, I've convinced myself 4 for 4 rejections are on their way.

If I read your post correctly, you have not received any rejections yet, correct? The funny thing about interviewing is that you can think you did a bang up job, and you end up not getting an offer. And, you can think that you did a poor job representing yourself, or you can feel that you did not fit as well as other applicants, yet you can end up with an offer.

Don't count yourself out. Also don't count yourself out of your top choice. Sometimes it just takes a while to contact everyone, and even if you are not the top choice, maybe you are an alternate.

Rejected from Memphis's School Psych PhD program via phone call from POI. Apparently the lone spot in the program has been filled, so if you're waiting on this program, better luck elsewhere!

Rejected from University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign Counseling PhD

AND

Rejected from Western Michigan University Counseling PhD

both in the same day 3/10