2008-2009 Loyola Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just got an interview invite via phone call

i JUST woke up so needless to say, i sounded like a bafoon over the phone.

Hey congrats!! When were you complete? What are your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

just got an interview invite via phone call

i JUST woke up so needless to say, i sounded like a bafoon over the phone.

We should start a club--Loyola's call actually woke me up, and being as disoriented as I normally am upon waking from a dream, I think my response to "hi this is .... from Stritch School of Medicine" was "huh?"

Fortunately I was a bit more coherent at my interview.

Congrats on the interview, and good luck! I'm sure you'll love your visit.

-Brent

I just called and was told this. I really like Stritch, so it was good to hear.

Are many people invited after being "flagged"?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called and was told this. I really like Stritch, so it was good to hear.

Are many people invited after being "flagged"?

I was complete back in Sept. or Oct, and I didn't interview until last month, so I must have been flagged for some time. I actually never called this year to check-in on my status because I applied to Loyola last year and called every single Thursday to check in on my status, and at least for me it only increased my anxiety.

I thought this year, I'll just make sure I'm complete, and from there I'll try my best to live life as much as normal. My interview totally came out of the blue--I had thought as a reapplicant if I was going be offered an interview it'd be more likely to be in the beginning of the cycle, so I had thought my chances were very very low when the new year came around.

Loyola students told me the hardest thing about applying to Loyola was getting an interview. They interview very few people compared to other schools.

But to answer your question, yes, I do believe a number of interviews are extended after people have been flagged.

I hope you and everyone else hoping for an interview gets one,

-Brent

it seems as if everyone has been flagged - im starting to think that this is just what they are telling everyone in anticipation of their final review.

has anyone been told anything different when they called?

no, haha i think EVERYONE is flagged. but are they still sending out invites? or just when people withdraw

Hmm. I called two weeks ago and there was no talk of "flagging" my app- nor the many times I called before.

However, I submitted an LOI 2 weeks ago. When I called today it was the first time anything about flagging was mentioned.

it seems as if everyone has been flagged - im starting to think that this is just what they are telling everyone in anticipation of their final review.

has anyone been told anything different when they called?

Unfortunately (I think?) the admissions office told me I was still "under review" and there was no mention of "flagging."
But I did get out of her that the last interview date was April 24th...still hoping. Good luck to everyone still waiting for an interview!!

Unfortunately (I think?) the admissions office told me I was still "under review" and there was no mention of "flagging."
But I did get out of her that the last interview date was April 24th...still hoping. Good luck to everyone still waiting for an interview!!

interesting. thanks for the info.

We should start a club--Loyola's call actually woke me up, and being as disoriented as I normally am upon waking from a dream, I think my response to "hi this is .... from Stritch School of Medicine" was "huh?"

Fortunately I was a bit more coherent at my interview.

Congrats on the interview, and good luck! I'm sure you'll love your visit.

-Brent

yea serious. glad to know i wasn't the only one.
there's was a brief pause then she was like "sorry, did i just wake you up? i know it's early on the west coast"

anyways, thanks to you and everyone else for the congrats

as for my stats, 3.4 gpa, 32 mcat, 3.7 SMP MAMS (hey they actually give us interviews), submitted loyola secondary on 9/10 so my guess was probably complete by the end of september, kind of late

We should start a club--

Agreed... Except mine was post-interview & my first acceptance. Great event, but me being tired kind of ruined the excitement...

"Oh, thank you Dr. Muraskas. Thank you very much."
(I fall back into bed)
... "Who was that?"
"Huh? I got into med school. I'm tired, and don't have class for 2 hours. Goodnight"

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed... Except mine was post-interview & my first acceptance. Great event, but me being tired kind of ruined the excitement...

"Oh, thank you Dr. Muraskas. Thank you very much."
(I fall back into bed)
... "Who was that?"
"Huh? I got into med school. I'm tired, and don't have class for 2 hours. Goodnight"

What a great story!

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this thread that is jealous of you.

-Brent

Hey y'all!! For anyone who did this, or will, who are you addressing a LOI/"I really really want to interview with you letter" to? I can't really decipher who is the up-top administrator when it comes to admissions.....any help would be lovely :)

I called and they told me to address the Admissions Committee.

Hey y'all!! For anyone who did this, or will, who are you addressing a LOI/"I really really want to interview with you letter" to? I can't really decipher who is the up-top administrator when it comes to admissions.....any help would be lovely :)

I sent in a pre-interview LOI last year and sent letters to the admissions committee and Dean Adrian Jones. If you personally know anyone on the admissions committee (any of the interviewers) then it probably wouldn't hurt to send them a letter as well.

Good luck!

-Brent

I sent in a pre-interview LOI last year and sent letters to the admissions committee and Dean Adrian Jones. If you personally know anyone on the admissions committee (any of the interviewers) then it probably wouldn't hurt to send them a letter as well.

Good luck!

-Brent

Thanks for the tip-that's who I was going to initially send the letter to but couldn't decide so I just went for the general ad comm....think it would be too annoying if I sent the same letter to her? I know I am really late in the game but I want to look back and know I tried.....

Thanks for the tip-that's who I was going to initially send the letter to but couldn't decide so I just went for the general ad comm....think it would be too annoying if I sent the same letter to her? I know I am really late in the game but I want to look back and know I tried.....

Dean Jones is actually a man :). He is really nice though! Good luck!

Personally I don't think Dean Jones (and yes, as lildoc points out he is a man) would be annoyed, as long as the letter depicts your sincere interest in Loyola and doesn't amount to begging. It's always tough to write one of these kinds of letters, but ultimately it should reflect what your comfortable with rather than what others say you should do/write.

My impression is that if you address a letter to the admissions committee and one to Dean Jones, it is likely that the letter addressed to Dean Jones will go straight to him, with his normal mail, whereas the letter to the committee would go to your file, and be viewed the next time your application is reviewed. However, it's possible the letter to Dean Jones will go to the file as well, in which case it doesn't help that you sent a separate letter to him, but I doubt it would hurt.

If you're concerned at all, I'd recommend giving the admissions office a call--they're very nice and helpful.

-Brent

I really appreciate all the help....I'll just go ahead and send Dean Jones the same letter and hope HE doesn't have to read it twice ;)

I got a call from Dean Jones a little while ago--Loyola wants me! :)

It's a dream come true after having tried unsuccessfully last year.

I hope that everyone still hoping for an interview/acceptance gets one--I"m sending you all my good-luck vibes.

-Brent

I got a call from Dean Jones a little while ago--Loyola wants me! :)

It's a dream come true after having tried unsuccessfully last year.

I hope that everyone still hoping for an interview/acceptance gets one--I"m sending you all my good-luck vibes.

-Brent

Hey, a big congratulations!!!! That is so awesome to hear, I love good news!! Good luck, you're going to be a doctor :D

NICE!! From a fellow re-app, I can only imagine how good this feels for you! Enjoy the moment.

Thanks raaska and mbe!

It does verry very good!--especially since Loyola was my dream school.

And, not to mention I only had one other interview and thought things might not work out again this year, so I was prepping myself to start the application cycle all over again.

anyone else from cali concerned about living in the midwest??

anyone else from cali concerned about living in the midwest??

well I am your friendly Floridian that is starting to become quite terrified (but also excited) of the climate change o_O

I must say. The climate does seem scary, considering Ive never seen snow, and have lived in Florida all my life. The sacrifices to study medicine...(Freezing your butt off....lol)

Do decisions usually go out on Thursdays, anyone know? :xf::shrug::xf:

:roflcopter: <-- for complete randomness, roflcopter rocks!!!!

it's humid in the summer
cold as hell in the winter but you get used to it. or at least i did.

the city always keeps the roads clear so the driving isn't an issue really. wiping snow off of your car window as a routine before actually getting to drive might be one though.

chicago is an awesome city though i must say. i wish i could pick it up and move it next to los angeles.

I'm not too concerned about the weather--I figure it can't be that bad if so many people still live in Chicago. Of course, most of them didn’t grow up in California. Well, I'm sure I'll have plenty of miserable days, but I'll just try my best to make the most of it (snow angels and snowball fights anyone?)

Personally, the thing I'm more concerned about is the flatness of the Midwest--I grew up in the SF Bay Area and have lived here my whole life, and have always lived in the shadow of at least a few hills. I'm a big fan of the outdoors and like spending time in Yosemite, King’s Canyon, etc., where you have granite cliffs thousands of feet high, and you just don’t run into that too often in the Midwest…

On the other hand, the flatness must sure be good for fuel economy and biking :)

im more concerned about the cultural differences than the weather actually, well, let me take that back...I am equally concerned about both, the weather and cultural differences. I grew up near SF also.

I must say. The climate does seem scary, considering Ive never seen snow, and have lived in Florida all my life. The sacrifices to study medicine...(Freezing your butt off....lol)

Do decisions usually go out on Thursdays, anyone know? :xf::shrug::xf:

:roflcopter: <-- for complete randomness, roflcopter rocks!!!!

Yeah, the very first time I saw snow was at my Loyola interview lol. But I think I like it....it sure beats this miserable heat and 40 degree daily temperature fluctuations in Florida.

ANd for your other question, I belive I received a call on a tuesday.

im more concerned about the cultural differences than the weather actually, well, let me take that back...I am equally concerned about both, the weather and cultural differences. I grew up near SF also.

There definetely are some cultural differences. For one thing, people always tell me folks in the Midwest dress up to go to church (anyone know if this is really the case?). Over here jeans, T-shirt, and sandals are considered a little sloppy, but still fine...

But, there are some enclaves. When my girlfriend and I visited we stopped by a Whole Foods in Oak Park--ahhh, it reminded us of our Berkeley days, complete with hippie-earth-friendly folk and people with nose and eyebrow piercings.

Gotta love Berkeley :)

There definetely are some cultural differences. For one thing, people always tell me folks in the Midwest dress up to go to church (anyone know if this is really the case?). Over here jeans, T-shirt, and sandals are considered a little sloppy, but still fine...

But, there are some enclaves. When my girlfriend and I visited we stopped by a Whole Foods in Oak Park--ahhh, it reminded us of our Berkeley days, complete with hippie-earth-friendly folk and people with nose and eyebrow piercings.

Gotta love Berkeley :)

I've always lived in the midwest (st. louis) and don't worry, not everyone dresses up for mass. I've only been to california once, so I probably can't make the best comparison. I think a big difference would be that midwesterners probably aren't as laid back as those from california. also, don't expect cars to break for pedestrians here :)

I assume interviews are done going out?

I spoke with the office last Thursday and they said that I could be contacted up until the later part of April. (I've been under review for about 5 weeks) I'm sure it's a long shot at this point in the application cycle, but I'm still holding out a little bit of hope. Good luck!

I spoke with the office last Thursday and they said that I could be contacted up until the later part of April. (I've been under review for about 5 weeks) I'm sure it's a long shot at this point in the application cycle, but I'm still holding out a little bit of hope. Good luck!
Just called and I'm "under review." The office said I should hear by the beginning of April.

I called today too, it was my 6 weeks also, and she told me the same thing. I hope it happens sooner then that :xf:Best of luck to you :)

hey guys, I got a late interview invite as well. For those of you who have already interviewed, were interviews first thing in the morning? Or did you go on the tour, talk with students/faculty, etc. and then interview at the end? Also, when did the day end? I made my flight home for 5:30, but I'm worried that may have been a little too early. Thanks!

Congrats funfetti!

You should have two interviews. It seems like everyone had at least one in the morning (mine started at 10:00), and most seemed to have the second interview in the afternoon after the tour/lunch. My second interview was scheduled for 1:00, though others had their interview scheduled later.

I was actually still around at 5:00 or so because my second interview went late and an additional student took me to lunch after that, since I didn't want to eat anything at the first lunch just before my second interview (I get nervous!). I was really impressed that they found another person to take me to lunch--they're all so friendly there.

I believe the majority of applicants finished quite a bit before me (and all were definitely gone before I left)--but I never saw when they left because I was off in the hospital cafeteria chatting. Personally I'd be nervous about making a 5:30 flight, esp. because it's right during commute and it doesn't seem to give you much time to get through security lines, baggage check, etc.

But I’m also not the best person to give advice since I stayed so late!

Best of luck at your interview—it’ll certainly be a lot warmer in Chicago when you visit compared to my visit!

-Brent

Thanks so much Brent! I've heard such good things about the school, so I'm really excited. Congrats on your acceptance :)

Hey people.

I just withdrew from Loyola today so hopefully someone from the waitlist or something hears back.

Character , I'm another Cali person. But since I wont be going to Loyola guess it doesnt count haha. But yeah I was kind of worried about the weather too. To top it all off I'm of middle eastern descent, so genetically programmed to deal with scorching heat.

Wonder how us (and by us I mean me) brown folk would do in NC since its going to be Duke.

Chicago weather is not that bad, y'all need to suck it up! :)

I just got called for an interview today. At first I was very excited, but after going through these posts, it seems like this interview is only for a possible waitlist spot.
I'm really hoping that I am interviewing for an actual spot because I seriously cannot take another waitlist response. I have a deadline in mid-May/June to make for another program.

Does anyone know if there are still spots left for late interviewees?

I just got called for an interview today. At first I was very excited, but after going through these posts, it seems like this interview is only for a possible waitlist spot.
I'm really hoping that I am interviewing for an actual spot because I seriously cannot take another waitlist response. I have a deadline in mid-May/June to make for another program.

Does anyone know if there are still spots left for late interviewees?

I have absolutely no idea, and although I have not had an interview invite so therefore no personal investment in the fact, I think I will call tomorrow and ask this question. I just sort of want to know....I will post on here once I do....if you don't see anything, pm me or something.

My guess is that they wouldn't waste the time and money (I'm sure it costs them some money too) to interview people they KNOW they are just going to be stuck on a waitlist. But that is just a guess...

Hey guys,
I interviewed at Loyola during the first week of March and was told outright by my second interviewer that I was auditioning for a spot on the waiting list, as the number of direct acceptances remaining was "negligible." However, he said that Loyola typically fills anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of its class from the waiting list, which is why the school continues to conduct interviews through the end of April. Hope that helps.

ugh... waitlists do not fit into my plannnnnnnnn!!!

I ultimately would like to defer if I get in, but the waitlist makes this close to impossible...

I don't mean to be jumping ahead of myself, but this applies to some of my other schools as well. If I were to defer at one school, and end up not going there to defer at another... I know that is morally frowned upon, but is it in the realm of possibility without career suicide?

Hey guys,
I interviewed at Loyola during the first week of March and was told outright by my second interviewer that I was auditioning for a spot on the waiting list, as the number of direct acceptances remaining was "negligible." However, he said that Loyola typically fills anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of its class from the waiting list, which is why the school continues to conduct interviews through the end of April. Hope that helps.
He's hoping that you (Big10Badger) were misinformed. Side note; I was also a Badger...On Wisconsin.

Status
Not open for further replies.