2008-2009 Loyola Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've been told, Loyola ranks their waitlist after all interviews are completed. I think at this point all interviews are over, but I don't know if the admissions committee has met yet to A) decide on the fate of those people recently interviewed and B) rank the waitlist.

Best of luck!

Thanks Brent; much like you Loyola has been / is one of my dream schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh also, as far as updates go... can we email them or are we suppose to mail them? I couldn't remember, but definitely want to send one.

Thanks Brent; much like you Loyola has been / is one of my dream schools.

I would mention that in your update letter, if you haven't mentioned it yet. Previous Loyola students have told me Loyola really cares a lot about finding people who are a good fit for the program, and they really want people who are passionate about going there (especially if the Jesuit philosophy is part of what attracts you to Loyola).

When I sent updates to Loyola last year I always mailed them. You might be able to e-mail the update as well, but mailing it would definitely be more personal.

But e-mail is certainly a lot faster...

It might be best to call the office, and find out what would be easiest for them. And, they can probably tell you when (if they haven't done so already) the meeting to rank the waitlist will be taking place (if they still rank the waitlist), in which case it might help to get your update in before that meeting takes place.

Once again--good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Supposedly the final admissions committee meeting was on Monday. They were supposed to send out the letters on Tuesday, but I don't know if that actually happened or not.

Supposedly the final admissions committee meeting was on Monday. They were supposed to send out the letters on Tuesday, but I don't know if that actually happened or not.

I got an email with a form to return if I am still interested in staying on the alternate list. Suppose to return it by the 18th; I'll slip my update in with that.

I got an email with a form to return if I am still interested in staying on the alternate list. Suppose to return it by the 18th; I'll slip my update in with that.

I think this committee meeting was just for the last interviewees. Not sure what they do about the alternate list.

I withdrew my acceptance today. Hope it goes to someone who really wants it. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist.

so, from what I understand- Loyola ranks their waitlist, but they do not inform the people on the waitlist what their rank is.

Well, that is not very helpful for those of us on the list... does anyone know the typical number of applicants on the waitlist??

so, from what I understand- Loyola ranks their waitlist, but they do not inform the people on the waitlist what their rank is.

Well, that is not very helpful for those of us on the list... does anyone know the typical number of applicants on the waitlist??

Hey. I know from a very good source that the reason why they don't give out the ranks is because there isn't a strict ranking system! They pick and choose people from the waitlist as spots open. Hope it helps. I am also waiting... tomorrow should be the first day they start calling. :xf::xf::xf::luck::xf::xf::xf:

I didn't get a chance to call yesterday so I was wondering if anyone here knew the answers to a couple of questions...

#1) Did Loyola over accept during the interview season or did they limit their acceptances to the class size? (Basically, I'm trying to figure out what kind of movement from the waitlist we're going see)

#2) Are the rankings of the waitlist static or are they continually re-reviewed?

Thanks all, and good luck!

I didn't get a chance to call yesterday so I was wondering if anyone here knew the answers to a couple of questions...

#1) Did Loyola over accept during the interview season or did they limit their acceptances to the class size? (Basically, I'm trying to figure out what kind of movement from the waitlist we're going see)

#2) Are the rankings of the waitlist static or are they continually re-reviewed?

Thanks all, and good luck!

hey!

1) They accepted just as many students as the class size as of March 30th. Hopefully many students dropped their acceptance between then and April 15th (yesterday). The movement should be pretty good but I don't know when it will start. Hopefully it will start this Monday.

2) As far as I know, it is not static at all.

good luck!

hey!

1) They accepted just as many students as the class size as of March 30th. Hopefully many students dropped their acceptance between then and April 15th (yesterday). The movement should be pretty good but I don't know when it will start. Hopefully it will start this Monday.

2) As far as I know, it is not static at all.

good luck!

Did anyone on the waitlist hear anything today??

Members don't see this ad :)
me too. still waiting...post if you hear anything!

I'm tired of holding on to my phone!!

I hope tomorrow is the day :luck::xf::xf::xf::xf::luck:

I just called Loyola and it's not looking good at all...

there was some wait list movement since Friday but class is currently full.

It's very difficult to remain hopeful.

I just called Loyola and it's not looking good at all...

there was some wait list movement since Friday but class is currently full.

It's very difficult to remain hopeful.
Noooooooooo; I am keeping the faith, but it's wavering :(

Noooooooooo; I am keeping the faith, but it's wavering :(

I remember hearing on SDN last year that waitlist movement at Loyola is pretty slow.

I know a guy who was accepted about two weeks before classes began. And a current student told me she knew someone who was accepted about two weeks into class.

So there's always hope :). I wish you all the best of luck :luck::luck::luck::luck:.

I remember hearing on SDN last year that waitlist movement at Loyola is pretty slow.

I know a guy who was accepted about two weeks before classes began. And a current student told me she knew someone who was accepted about two weeks into class.

So there's always hope :). I wish you all the best of luck :luck::luck::luck::luck:.
Thanks for the confidence. My buddy who is a 2nd year got off the waitlist in June. I just have so much to do (mainly moving to a new state), so I would like to be able to make some headway on all that.

Well, the truth is, I am still very hopeful... but what do I do?

Do I start reapplying in a couple of weeks? I am on one other wait list but no guarantees.

I also accepted a job offer for which the training starts mid June... Do I start my job and then quit it when I get in?

What about retaking the MCAT?

It would be nice to know where I stand.

now that I have that off my chest.

GOOD LUCK TO US ALL!!! :luck::luck::luck:

there goes another week...
Well let's look at it this way. People who are offered spots off the waitlist have two weeks to make a decision; therefore at some point next week perhaps some people will be declining their previously held spot with Loyola. Also, perhaps Loyola is taking some time to get their waitlist in order following the declined spots from last Friday and movement will begin shortly.

<---- Attempting to remain optimistic.

Well let's look at it this way. People who are offered spots off the waitlist have two weeks to make a decision; therefore at some point next week perhaps some people will be declining their previously held spot with Loyola. Also, perhaps Loyola is taking some time to get their waitlist in order following the declined spots from last Friday and movement will begin shortly.

<---- Attempting to remain optimistic.

My optimism is waning. After next week only a lucky few will have a shot so let's hope that we hear soon.

My optimism is waning. After next week only a lucky few will have a shot so let's hope that we hear soon.
While it's true that with the passing of each two week period (the time allotted for wl offer decisions post May15th) the chances decrease at an exponential rate. I'm a little comforted by the fact that there seems to be no knowledge of waitlist movement. As much as Loyola rocks, I don't think 100% of people offered an acceptance chose to matriculate. There has to be some movement, right?

While it's true that with the passing of each two week period (the time allotted for wl offer decisions post May15th) the chances decrease at an exponential rate. I'm a little comforted by the fact that there seems to be no knowledge of waitlist movement. As much as Loyola rocks, I don't think 100% of people offered an acceptance chose to matriculate. There has to be some movement, right?

When I called last Tuesday they said that there WAS some movement
but very little. But why is no movement comforting? It simply means that not many students have given up their spot yet. Also, unlike other schools that stop interviewing in February and give out all of the open spots to waitlisted applicants, Loyola interviews and gives out acceptances until end of April!

I know that many in fact choose to decline the offer because Loyola is more expensive than other med schools from a similar rank. Let's hope we observe this trend again this year.

:luck::luck::luck: I truly hope that we are all classmates in July :luck::luck::luck:

There aren't many of us still hanging on here so it is more than possible.

I know for a fact that one spot will be opening on Monday. Hopefully it goes to one of you!

My "no movement" comment was in hopes that there were spots open but they were just taking their time evaluating who those spots will be offered to. If there was some movement, it looks like that's not the case. It does look like the hope is dwindling; but I'm sure a few of us will march on. Good luck Kristi!

That spot I mentioned before is now officially open. Good luck!

I was just accepted from the alternate list. Maybe I got amph's spot! I'm so excited, I hope the rest of you get the call soon!

I was just accepted from the alternate list. Maybe I got amph's spot! I'm so excited, I hope the rest of you get the call soon!

That's AWESOME Monkeygirl, Congratulations!!! Here's hoping that we're going to be classmates. You best be going out celebrating!

nice, congrats!

Congrats monkeygirl! I was wondering how many letters you sent Loyola once you were placed on the WL. Did you just send a LOI or did you send updates (if so, how many?) Also did you call them at all (if so who did you call?) Sorry to be so nosy but I want to do everything I can to get in. Loyola is my absolute dream school!

Congrats again and thanks for any info you are able to share!!:luck::luck::luck:

Congrats monkeygirl! I was wondering how many letters you sent Loyola once you were placed on the WL. Did you just send a LOI or did you send updates (if so, how many?) Also did you call them at all (if so who did you call?) Sorry to be so nosy but I want to do everything I can to get in. Loyola is my absolute dream school!

Congrats again and thanks for any info you are able to share!!:luck::luck::luck:

Thanks so much!

I sent them 1 LOInterest and 2 updates after I was waitlisted. I sent all via email but the letter I attached as a pdf. I called them a few times with random questions but I think they only took my amcas id once.

Good luck!

double posted.

congrats

What email did you use? I am surprised they accept email updates. I was told by the committee that they prefer updates and LOIs by mail. That is why their email cannot be found anywhere.

Thanks!

i actually used email for my updates as well- granted I havent gotten off the waitlist. I'm not sure what email I used though.

the movement looks particularly slow this year.

I called again today. Unlike last week when they said they are expecting movement in the next week, this week they didn't sound nearly as positive.

Quote: "There MAY be more movement in the future. It may occur anytime between next week and the end of July." not what I wanted to hear... hit me right in the stomach.

I am leaving for a medical brigade to Honduras in a couple of days. I will try my best not think about it while I'm there. Then, I'll start reapplying, working, and repairing my soul when I return.

peace

the movement looks particularly slow this year.

I called again today. Unlike last week when they said they are expecting movement in the next week, this week they didn't sound nearly as positive.

Quote: "There MAY be more movement in the future. It may occur anytime between next week and the end of July." not what I wanted to hear... hit me right in the stomach.

I am leaving for a medical brigade to Honduras in a couple of days. I will try my best not think about it while I'm there. Then, I'll start reapplying, working, and repairing my soul when I return.

peace

:( Well hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Where in Honduras are you heading? Have fun with landing and taking off in Tegulcigalpa! The country is beautiful and the people are amazing! I spent some time in Comayauga and San Antonio de la Questa; I miss it so much.

Where in Honduras are you heading? Have fun with landing and taking off in Tegulcigalpa! The country is beautiful and the people are amazing! I spent some time in Comayauga and San Antonio de la Questa; I miss it so much.

We will be going to a different part of the country every day; setting up temporary clinics and treating patients. I just packed one huge bag with donated meds. There will be 10 physicians and 15 students on the trip. I am so excited but I would enjoy it so much more if I knew where/if I was going anywhere next year. Either way, it should be a great experience.

What were you doing there?

We will be going to a different part of the country every day; setting up temporary clinics and treating patients. I just packed one huge bag with donated meds. There will be 10 physicians and 15 students on the trip. I am so excited but I would enjoy it so much more if I knew where/if I was going anywhere next year. Either way, it should be a great experience.

What were you doing there?
Sounds like the same thing you are.

sweet! I hope we are classmates so we can share our experiences.

I have a feeling that third week post May 15th will be a charm for all of us :):xf::love:

sweet! I hope we are classmates so we can share our experiences.

I have a feeling that third week post May 15th will be a charm for all of us :):xf::love:
I sure hope you're right. I'd love to hear about your adventures in Honduras! Have an amazing time... I know you will. :)

has anyone heard of any movement in the past week and a half? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.