2007 LECOM Biomedical Postbac Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are the typical statistics of admitted students? Is mid May to late to apply (after I get this semsters grades and MCAT score)?

It's hard to say what stats are for accepted postbac students. Usually it's for people with low GPA's....less than 3.0, but there are a few of us in the program with low MCAT scores...less than 20. Mid May might be a little late to apply. I'd recommend the beginning of April at the latest.

Members don't see this ad.

So how has the postbac program treated you guys? I was wondering because I plan on applying for the Fall of 2008.

The program has been very helpful. I highly recommend it. Classes are taught at a steady pace which leaves a great deal of time for other things...studying for MCAT, part-time job, etc.

Hello I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea on how long it takes from the time you apply until you hear whether or not you were accepted? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea on how long it takes from the time you apply until you hear whether or not you were accepted? Thanks.

I applied in early April and was accepted in mid May.

Yeah, I'd like to add to the admissions process.

I applied in mid Feb 08, and they confirmed my application as processed 1 week ago, so roughly 3 weeks. They said they will make a decision about my application in 1 week, so any day now I'll hear.

It's good to know that it still isn't too late, so give it shot, especially if your stats are doable.

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how many people apply to this program and also the number of people that get accepted. Also, what is the approximate class size for the program? Thank you! :)

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how many people apply to this program and also the number of people that get accepted. Also, what is the approximate class size for the program? Thank you! :)

I heard around 400 apply. Our class this year had around 60.

Thanks for your response! Wow, it's a hard program to get into then. I actually sent in my application for the program about 3 weeks ago, so I hope I hear from them soon. Thanks again!

Well, I just got the acceptance letter. It's interesting that they give you until August 1st to decide, being that the application fee is also the deposit.

Another thing they said in the packet is that for a 3.0 first semester means an automatic interview at LECOM-E. So, just to confirm it if anyone was curious.

I'm glad I can wait to hear from the other schools before making a decision, but it seems like a lot of you enjoy the program. It might be a hard decision (or an easy one if I'm unlucky :laugh: )

Reactions: 1 user
-)Does anyone know when they'll give us the list of books we need for the program? Or does anyone have the current list of books for the program? I was thinking I could just skim the material before classes start.

-)Also, how strict are their attendance policies. I'm applying to med schools for this years cycle and if i get interviews, will they allow me to miss class? Thanks!:)

-)Does anyone know when they'll give us the list of books we need for the program? Or does anyone have the current list of books for the program? I was thinking I could just skim the material before classes start.

-)Also, how strict are their attendance policies. I'm applying to med schools for this years cycle and if i get interviews, will they allow me to miss class? Thanks!:)

You won't need any books for postbac...except for anatomy, but that's not until Spring. All test questions come from the professors lecture notes.

Attendance is really strict, you have to sign in before every lecture. Med school interviews are excused absences as well as taking the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone started looking for housing? I'm in the process now and wanted to know if anyone has found any decent places.

Sorry to anyone who was interested in my townhouse..its sold..

Hey, does anyone know the percentage of LECOM post-bac students that gain acceptance into LECOM's medical program? Thank you!

Last year they said that 80% of the class was accepted, but not all of them ended up going. This year it seems as if there was an error so they didn't reserve enough seats for all of the post-bacs (since we interview late in the process). That resulted in most of the students being waitlisted. I got lucky since I was one of the first groups interviewed so I was accepted.

As a side note, if you are a post-bac and you are accepted into LECOM-E, you are required to maintain an overall 3.0 GPA and get higher than a 75% in every course in your second semester. Doesn't sound too bad, but the apathy/indifference really tends to build after you get that acceptance letter :p

I'd say there were about 15-20 out of 60 who either got into LECOM-E or LECOM-B. Like pianoman said.....most postbacs were waitlisted.

I believe this year's postbac class is going to be a 2 year masters program at the new bayfront location. Do you guys get to apply during your first year or do you have to wait until second?

I was accepted this year (2008), and we have not been told that this is going to be a two year program. After my acceptance, i received a second letter with a survey asking my opinion of their beginning a two year program, with a master's option. As of now, the two year program is pretty much still a figment of the administration's imagination.

I was really hoping to get into the LECOM postbac program but I got my denial letter today. I am not sure if I should reapply next year or what? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was really hoping to get into the LECOM postbac program but I got my denial letter today. I am not sure if I should reapply next year or what? Does anyone have any suggestions?

depends on a lot of factors. what are your stats and such?

I was accepted to LECOM's post bacc a few weeks ago. I was also accepted into Duquesne's post bacc program.

LECOM's post bacc offers an interview for med school if you get a certain GPA. Duquesne has a linkage program with LECOM. I have no clue which program to attend.

I really want to go to LECOM's medical school; which program do you guys think would offer me a better chance?

does anyone know if LECOM's PB requires professional dress during classes??? just curious.

LECOM's postbac requires a professional dress code....just like the med students. I'm not sure about the other program you're talking about, but I would imagine LECOM's program would be better because it's LECOM.....same professors, same notes, same books...essentially the same classes as a first year. You get to know the faculty which was a major plus during the interview.

^^
hmmm...courses are a big consideration. At the moment I am leaning towards LECOM.

Does LECOM's PB support students who apply to other schools during their PB year? Do professors write LOR for other med schools or is there a committee-type organization? Or does the school expect students to have a lag year if they are not accepted into LECOM med school?

I was reading over the forums and was seeing different things about the interview process. One said that most people who had a 3.0 and a decent interview would be accepted into lecom and another said that only 25% of the students got in... They said that the interview process was late or something. Does that seem like a new trend for the school or do you guys think it may have just been something that happend last year? Thank you for the feedback in advance.

(you may be wondering why I have podiatry student...My fiance got accepted so i am asking for her, she has not been on studentdoctor yet....thanks again)

Hey, if anyone is still looking for a place to live, I have a friend who is looking for a roommate. She was a former LECOM PostBac '08 student accepted into this September's incoming Pharmacy class who is looking to share a large 2 bedroom townhouse, located about 9 miles from school near the lake. It has a 2 car garage (you're going to want it come winter) and full basement for storage. If you are a non-smoker, ok with pets, and would be interested in more details, send me a message and I will get you in contact with her.

I should be hearing back from LECOM by the end of the week (according to Tom from the Admissions office). So hopefully I'll let you know of some good news by then.

I plan on attending in the fall. Have you found housing?

Last year they said that 80% of the class was accepted, but not all of them ended up going. This year it seems as if there was an error so they didn't reserve enough seats for all of the post-bacs (since we interview late in the process). That resulted in most of the students being waitlisted. I got lucky since I was one of the first groups interviewed so I was accepted.

As a side note, if you are a post-bac and you are accepted into LECOM-E, you are required to maintain an overall 3.0 GPA and get higher than a 75% in every course in your second semester. Doesn't sound too bad, but the apathy/indifference really tends to build after you get that acceptance letter :p

So wait this year most post bacc's were waitlisted? i am currently waitlisted at LECOM and I applied to the post bacc program hoping that this would grant me an admission next year. Do you think its better just to reapply or attend the program?

I just got into LECOM's post-bac program today! However, I am still deciding between LECOM and MWU's Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences program in Arizona. I also got waitlisted for PCOM's Biomedical Sciences program so that decision is pending. I need to do more research and come up with a solid decision. Do you guys have any thoughts on these 3 schools and their programs?? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I got an apartment with Landmark Square. I've heard a few negative things about it, but I'm not that worried. I have a cat, which influenced my housing decision a lot. It's rather inexpensive and seems like a safe area.

Have you?

I got an apartment in Landmark Square too!! When will you be moving in? I also have a friend from undergrad who is already there (Landmark Square) and seems to like it pretty well. Congrats on the housing!

I've some time before medical school, but attending LECOM-B is my ultimate goal. If I am needing to attend a SMP, and do well, would attending LECOM's SMP helpful?