2007 LECOM Biomedical Postbac Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Booter008

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my postbac acceptance letter. Who else will be going to LECOM in the Fall?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!
I'd like to know who else got accepted...how exciting for you!:clap: :clap:

I've been accepted into the LECOM post-bac. However, I think I'm going to decline and do a SMP at SUNY Buffalo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been accepted into the LECOM post-bac. However, I think I'm going to decline and do a SMP at SUNY Buffalo.

Congrats, but that sucks you're not coming to Erie. Anyone else out there?

congrats Dr 14220!

i would do the SMP program too (if you ask me)

mind me asking waht was you mcat score? I still need to take mine but my application and everything else has been sent. do you think if I take the mcat in July I still have a chance for the fall? gosh I wanted to take the mcat sooner but my practice tests are otherwise. :confused:
please respond (and anyone else who can answer) good luck :thumbup:

~m~

July would be a little late as it takes 30 days to get your score back and you have to have you application complete by August 1st. You could just take the test and get a score (if your PT's are higher than say 17 I might suggest this) and then just retake in Aug/Sept for your application if your score is below a 21. This way you can still apply for post-bacc otherwise you have a lag year. Completely up to you though. I know two people that are doing this though. :luck:

thanks cptstarbuck!

So are you saying to take the MCAT asap to get a score to get into lecom (and the other post bacs I applied too) and then take it again if I score below a 21?
If I dont take the mcat soon then it seems like I wasted time applying to all these schools and added a lag year on top of it. :/ :(

~m~

Well if you don't think you'll get above a 21, I'm not sure what other post-bacc cutoffs are so I can't say anything about them. But with LECOM, yes that's what I'm saying. Otherwise you have the lag year.
they told me that they are on rolling admissions and they will not review ur file unless it is complete.

Well if you don't think you'll get above a 21, I'm not sure what other post-bacc cutoffs are so I can't say anything about them. But with LECOM, yes that's what I'm saying. Otherwise you have the lag year.

I scored below a 21 when I took my MCAT back in April of '06. My acceptance letter said that I would have to retake the MCAT and get at least a score of 21 or higher. They give you until January of '08 to retake it and get this score before applying to the med school. You also have to get at least a 3.0 GPA in the program the first semester in order to continue in the Spring. I recommend taking your MCAT ASAP because someone in another thread said that over 600 people applied to this program and they're only taking around 150.

When you do get accepted, get up to Erie ASAP because finding a place to live is not fun at all....especially if you're bringing a dog like me :laugh:. If anyone needs help, send me a PM because I just spent the last few days up there looking.

I scored below a 21 when I took my MCAT back in April of '06. My acceptance letter said that I would have to retake the MCAT and get at least a score of 21 or higher. They give you until January of '08 to retake it and get this score before applying to the med school. You also have to get at least a 3.0 GPA in the program the first semester in order to continue in the Spring. I recommend taking your MCAT ASAP because someone in another thread said that over 600 people applied to this program and they're only taking around 150.

When you do get accepted, get up to Erie ASAP because finding a place to live is not fun at all....especially if you're bringing a dog like me :laugh:. If anyone needs help, send me a PM because I just spent the last few days up there looking.

thanks booter008 ill try my best studying and taking it asap IF my practice scores go up. otherwise I can take my test when I am ready; LECOM is on rolling admission right. hows the area there?
~m~

thanks booter008 ill try my best studying and taking it asap IF my practice scores go up. otherwise I can take my test when I am ready; LECOM is on rolling admission right. hows the area there?
~m~

From the few days I was there, I liked Erie. The people were friendly and the town was a good size. The school looked very modern. Aside from all the studying, it should be a great experience.

For all those post-baccers who will be going to Erie in the Fall and who need housing check out js2010's post in LECOM -Erie 2011's Acceptances. It's a really great deal, and is really close to the school. I wish I could live there, but unfortunately it's pet-free.

Hey Guys i got in too!! my last semester of undergrad was nerve-wrecking. I got a 21 on the MCAT and did not get a letter saying that I should retake the MCAT (I'm wondering if I should retake it anyways to ensure a better chance of getting in the following year).

I hope it doesn't get too cold up there during winter time.

GOOD LUCK to everyone!!

Hey Guys i got in too!! my last semester of undergrad was nerve-wrecking. I got a 21 on the MCAT and did not get a letter saying that I should retake the MCAT (I'm wondering if I should retake it anyways to ensure a better chance of getting in the following year).

I hope it doesn't get too cold up there during winter time.

GOOD LUCK to everyone!!

If you plan on attending LECOM for med school, then your MCAT should be fine as long as you do well in the program. If you plan on applying to other schools as well, definitely retake. Studying for that test once was bad enough the first time, but I guess it depends on what you plan to do. Good luck. I heard the winters are pretty bad in Erie. Might be a good idea to get a place to live with a garage if you're not used to the snow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else out there get into the postbac program at LECOM?

booter i've been reading LECOM post-bac threads for a month now, just wanted to thank you for asking all the questions i wanted to ask but was too lazy to register until now.
kind of a downer question but, anyone else worried that with the post-bac class sizes trippling that getting into the med program theoretically gets thrice as competitive??
i mean with an over 21mcat i find myself taking it again this summer to get in the high 20's to "ensure" myself a spot

just trying to get a feel on the incoming 2007 class, but any of you guys from the delaware/philly area?

kind of a downer question but, anyone else worried that with the post-bac class sizes trippling that getting into the med program theoretically gets thrice as competitive??
i mean with an over 21mcat i find myself taking it again this summer to get in the high 20's to "ensure" myself a spot

They raised the required MCAT this year to apply from a 20 to a 21 - 22. I'm with you however - I don't think 1 or 2 points is going to balance the tripling of the class problem. Maybe they plan on making the program a little more difficult this year to "weed" us out. I'm sure LECOM has it all figured out though....why else would they accept such an increase in the number of students into the program otherwise?

I got my acceptance letter today, and now I have to see if this is what's best...

The post-bacc is tripling? :confused: I wasn't told that. I thought they were only taking 100 postbacc and they were increasing the pharm portion to 50? Anyone have the exact numbers? They had like 90 last year for med and 12 for pharm.

I'm not sure of the med vs. pharmacy breakdown. I just heard that they were accepting around 150 students into postbac. I guess that means med and pharmacy....so 100 med and 50 pharmacy makes sense. I thought there were only 50 med in the program last year. With 90 med, then there's really no worries except for those interested in the pharmacy school.

any of you guys started looking for apartments yet? i won't be going up to visit until the last week of june so i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on which appts to look at. thanks

any of you guys started looking for apartments yet? i won't be going up to visit until the last week of june so i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on which appts to look at. thanks

Definitely check out Lake View which is right next to the school. Tanglewood and Willowwood were also great places. Basically what I did was just go through http://www.rentalguideerie.com/ and found the one that fit me best.

Bump

Have any postbac people had a chance to visit Erie yet.....look for apartments, visit the school, etc.?

the courses we take in the postbacc program..are they at the undergraduate level..or at the graduate or medical level (meaning..will we be in the same classes as the osteopathic students??)

How's the apartment hunting going everyone??

+pity++pissed+:beat: or :hello: :banana: :clap: ??

Sorry, I like using the animated smilies, but seriously.......

Well I'm still homeless...on a few apartment waitlists.
So anyone know the statistics of the number of students accepted to medical school from the post bac, and the number of urms at lecom?

HI, FELLOW LECOMERS, I'M AN INCOMING 1ST YEAR, I'M LOOKNG FOR A ROOMATE, FEMALE, NON-SMOKER. I Currently live in a townhouse, just send me an email.

so i got my big pamphlet in the mail...that little RENTAL GUIDE for housing..was it any help..im guessing most of the posters here looked through it..soo im just trying to find a good place thats not TOO far from campus so that I dont have to slip and crash in the snow lol

So who's planning on studying for and retaking the MCAT during the course of the program?

So who's planning on studying for and retaking the MCAT during the course of the program?

i am thinking about postponing my august mcat and taking it in january. but i'm thinking we won't have any time during the course of the semester to review for the mcat well enough for this to pay off

i am thinking about postponing my august mcat and taking it in january. but i'm thinking we won't have any time during the course of the semester to review for the mcat well enough for this to pay off

I'm having the same concern. I'm not prepared to take the mcat now (before the post bac starts), but I'm worried that studying for it during the program won't give me enough time to prep well and get goood grades. If you've been studying and you think you're ready to take it in August, you really should go for it (just my opinion) so you don't have to worry about it!

I have been thinking this over for a couple weeks. I am scheduled to take it in September right before the program starts up, but am highly considering waiting until January. I think the first semester courses will definitely help raise our bio score. Previous postbac students have said there's plenty of time to study for classes...so I hope this means there would be adequate time for MCAT as well. I've been studying all summer and feel ready, but still think I will wait until January.

So I'm with you guys.

I'm taking in Sept and might retake in January if I feel like it. I don't need to retake but I know I could have done alot better if I had studied. I had been told that if you have the minimum to talk to the advisors there before you retake. The only thing that I'm scared of is going down since studying isn't going like I had hoped this summer.

edit: I just looked at Test Dates for 2008, january 24/25th are the only dates. I'm worried that even though they won't review until February that getting the test back at the end of February might be a little late ... I can't decide. :(

It's definitely a tough decision. I think I'll contact Brian and see what he recommends since there are a few of us in the same boat.

It's definitely a tough decision. I think I'll contact Brian and see what he recommends since there are a few of us in the same boat.
Good idea! Find out what he says. I'm just wondering if late february is a little too late for us in having the scores back. I find it a crock that they can't interview us post-baccs before february when they HAVE the grades from THEIR institution by January there. :rolleyes:

im actually taking them this september...how god of a chance do u really have to get into lecom if u do break a 21 by a large margin..and keep a good gpa there? and is the program recognized well by other schools in case lecom doesnt accept us?

I know of students who've done the program and gotten into other schools like Touro and UMDNJ so I'm imaging that it's a known program. I don't know how much though. And I'm wondering what a target MCAT would be. Does anyone know what the average MCAT is at LECOM?

I'm so glad we've got a discussion going about this. Please fill us in on what you hear from Brian, Booter. I tried contacting a faculty member about it, but I got an "out of the office" response.

I wonder what the scores were of the students who got into other schools...in case LECOM doesn't accept me. I mean, getting a 21 cannot be hard, but I want to do better than that so I can have more confidence that I'll be accepted somewhere.

I know LECOM won't review until February, but February is so late in the application cycle...so I'm worried that my chances at acceptance into other schools would be shot too.

I totally agree with you peaches...i dont want that lag year if i dont get into lecom..and thats why i love the program because its almost like..a "guarantee" in a way ..even though the minimum is slightly low i think that because wed be competing with people from undergrads for seats at lecom, we'd definitely need higher mcat scores ..im guessing well need at least 24's or 25's..but again i want to kick butt on it just to be safe (hence the reason why im taking it in september) for other schools. Im from Rutgers, and my advisers are awesome..they know virtually everything about the procedures and such..so they told me that lecom is a good DO school...the postbacc curriculum is great there its definitely gonna prepare you for medical cshool..so right off the back..you have to aim for at least a 3.6-3.8 because if your MCAT score suffers..then at least the adcoms will know that you can handle a rigorous schedule and lecom's schedule is definitely nothing short of rigorous...however with those classes (I showed my adviser the course list thats online) are amazinga nd he said that any school would recognize a HIGH gpa in that type of schedule..so im guessing if we kick a** in the program and combine it with at least an acceptable mcat score (which could still be near the minimum of 21) we should be getting interviews at other schools, and of course, have a very high chance of getting into lecom. i spoke to two students also via facebook about the program and one of them is actually going to an allopathic school..he got into one and a few interviews as well as other DO schools..i asked him about his creds but he hasnt got back to me so ill post it if i speak to him again..another student said that this program will definitey give u a taste of how medical school is like..and he had a 3.4 gpa with a 25 MCAT and is going to NYCOM..so im guessing the program is recognized but its up to us mainly to do as well as possible and definitely aim for nothing short of a 24-25 on our mcat to be competitive for other schools. thought id share what i found out this week.

I emailed Brian, so hopefully we'll hear back sometime soon.

My main concern with the September test date in terms of applying to other med schools beside LECOM is the timing. We wouldn't get the scores back until October...a little late in the application cycle? Not to mention, we won't have our grades from first semester post-bac until February. I don't see how you can apply to other med schools for Fall of '08 until you get your grades from post-bac....

Well getting scores back in October is not "late" if you've already submitted and you do well on the MCAT. That is where the dilemma lies, if you need to retake the MCAT to get into LECOM you need a higher score to get into other schools. period. If you're application is submitted and you have noted on there you are retaking in sept, you'd still be complete in October there and early enough for the first rounds of interviews before the new year.

Hello everyone,
I thought I would give you a little 411 on LECOM post bac program and what to expect.

1. If you think you are prepared for the MCAT take it before you start the program. Believe me it will save you some headaches. I waited to retake MCAT in Jan '07, during the 2nd semester, and was it hard. I really messed up on my scores in the program because there was a test every week to every other week. I was studying for the MCAT and had to play catch up for the rest of the semester. Plus, I was one of the guinea pigs for the new computerized MCAT and a section was messed up. I could either accepted scores or retake the whole exam, but needed the scores b/c of applying for the fall. So, I was extremely stressed out during that time which did not reflect well on my exams at school. BUt, the my scores for the MCAT had gone up anyways and I feel the fall semester at the post bac program helped considerably.

2. It is not a "guarantee" in for the fall '08. You must work very hard. Ask the profs questions. They have an extremely supportive faculty and staff that will go out their way to help you. But do not, and I can not stress this enough, do not take advantage of them and abuse the privaleges you do have. It will have a devastating backlash on future projects, reviews, etc.

3. Grades for 1st semester, you'll still have time to send them to the schools you are applying to just let them know when you will get your grades.

4. Make sure you get to know everyone in class and your profs.

I loved going there and wish they had accepted me for med school. The only problem I've really had was of recently. They seem to have no time for me now that I no longer go there. I need to clear up a few things with the post bac department and they still have not given me a response to my questions. I completed post bac at the end of April. So I'm a little frustrated and disappointed with them right now.

Otherwise great program.
If anyone has has any questions, please fire away!