***2007-2008 Application Season*** Post all application questions here! Part I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah mine were all 9's too. It took me a couple weeks to figure out that's why AACOMAS wasn't uploading my scores.

Members don't see this ad.

You'd think with the high standards they want their applicants to have that someone there would notice that thousands of people have the same social security number, and one with all the same number at that. I wonder what they got on their MCAT? Probably a 99

Took me about 2 months to figure this out on my own AACOMAS app!

I faxed them (AAMC) a notorized copy of my drivers license and social security card (wrote "Please change SSN" in big letters) and they (AAMC) changed it the next business day. I then had to re-release my scores to AACOMAS and it took about a week before AACOMAS corrected my application. Then another 7-10 days before I was complete at CCOM (which was only missing my official MCAT score-this is how I initially found the problem).

Thousands of dollars and you can't make sure you have my MCAT score before you let me think everything is ok!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
All 9's as well. Someone said that banks have a free notary. I had already done it elsewhere so can't tell you for sure. Takes a week or two from when you mail the copy. I would call them a couple of times to keep them from losing it as well, not that I lack any confidence in them :rolleyes:.

Just out of curiosity, where did other people get all 9's. I took it in Worcester, MA.

All 9's as well. Someone said that banks have a free notary. I had already done it elsewhere so can't tell you for sure. Takes a week or two from when you mail the copy. I would call them a couple of times to keep them from losing it as well, not that I lack any confidence in them :rolleyes:.

Just out of curiosity, where did other people get all 9's. I took it in Worcester, MA.

Bedford, TX Yeah I went to my bank and it was free. She was even going to fax it for me for free but it wouldn't go through. Then I went to Kinko's to fax it myself and it wouldn't go through. I called AAMC twice and both people told me I had the right number. I figured it would never go through so I just mailed it. A week after I mailed it I e-mailed them about when it should show up on my report and they said to give it up to two weeks. The next day it was changed.

Now I do see that my SSN is all 9's but it says that my score release is complete. I haven't heard anything from the school I applied to so I don't know if that means they were able to see the scores or not. On the THx site it says also that the scores were sent and that the school was notified that they were available to them at this time. I hope there is no more drama because I ahve had enough this semester already. :scared:

Sorry I meant that the system was notified, not the school.

Now I do see that my SSN is all 9's but it says that my score release is complete. I haven't heard anything from the school I applied to so I don't know if that means they were able to see the scores or not. On the THx site it says also that the scores were sent and that the school was notified that they were available to them at this time. I hope there is no more drama because I ahve had enough this semester already. :scared:

Where did you have your scores sent, just one school? How about to AACOMAS? The AAMC will release your scores but AACOMAS won't upload them if the SSNs do not match. I'm not sure about individual schools but you might want to check into it so you aren't further delayed.

Yea it was to their system not individual schools. What was the point in putting the SSN in if they were going to screw it up. Is this for everyone or a select few? So you mean I have to go through all that stuff like these guys did? Sending SSN and License info?

Yea it was to their system not individual schools. What was the point in putting the SSN in if they were going to screw it up. Is this for everyone or a select few? So you mean I have to go through all that stuff like these guys did? Sending SSN and License info?

It was only the elite among us who have had to do this. My husband's SSN was right but for some reason they messed mine up. How long has it been since your scores were released to AACOMAS? Have they shown up yet? Unfortunately it sounds like you'll have to do what the rest of us did.

If you go to your AACOMAS application: In the Status menu on the right there should be a date next to Official MCAT Scores and your score should be there when you click on it. If not...get to a copy machine, notary, and fax machine!!

Or just call and ask them! But be ready to wait on hold!! If you're all 9's though, you're probably screwed. Just be glad you found out now!

Yea I just checked the THx and the SSN is all 9's. This is rediculous I filled out information and that's what they should have used! :mad: Just venting sorry.

Why does it take 4-6 weeks to "verify" my application? I mean, all they have to do is look at my transcripts (which they have) and make sure all my classes I put in are the same, right? Why in the world does that take 4-6 weeks when I am paying as much for it as I am? Seriously....

maybe because there are thousands and thousands of applicants, other than yourself?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, they have to check each class that every applicant has taken. An individual application may just take an hour or so, but thousands can back up the process a little. It probably won't take 6-weeks though. I had my last transcript in on 9/7 and was just verified 10/1, so it wasn't even a month (just mailed today - yay!)

It sucks, but there's no other way, so just try to distract yourself with something else for a while.

Only one person works for AACOMAS, and he only has one eye, so it takes him a while.

Has anyone completed the UMDNJ's secondaries? They ask:

1) Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?
2) How does the osteopathic profession fit into your professional goals and values?

So basically, question 1 asks me how my experiences led me to osteopathic medicine while question 2 asks me how well it will be incorporated into my future goals/values? Correct?

I'm sort of stuck cause I don't really know what else to write about osteopathic medicine besides the fact that I prefer the holistic view and the focus on patient care, and OMM, of course. Is there anything else? :idea:

When you've been a strength and conditioning coach for college athletics, and a personal trainer, this question is so easy.

How long did it take AMCAS to send your MCAT scores to the AACOMAS service? I forgot to have my official MCAT scores sent and just went to the AMCAS website today to indicate I wanted them sent. I was wondering how long it will be before I can submit my application.

Both times I had it sent they were sent either that day or the next day.

Thanks a lot. I actually just found a link on the Thx website that says they are usually processed within two business days. Thanks.

Hey all,
I know this is extremely late to start sending DO primaries. In fact i've already submitted an app for amcas, had my first interview two weeks ago etc.. BUt an osteopath came to my school last week and kinda converted me to osteopathic medicine. Also i've read the Flexner Report, which somewhat was an eye opener as to why alternative medicine (DO particularly) is looked down upon. Nonetheless, im fully aware that early is better in terms of applying but i wanted to get a general idea from the pre-D.O. community who is applying this cycle...
I will only miss one deadline (michigan state, Oct 15th)

Thanks in advance for your advice and support guys!

The flexner report is why MD's and DO's get the exact same education.

Hey guys! I know it's very late in the game, as many are getting interviews (and acceptances!), but I'm having trouble with the application. For the "coursework" part, do you list courses you plan to take in the future up until graduation? (if so do you list them as Incomplete?) Or do you stop at courses you're currently taking?

Thanks for your help!

There is a designation on there for courses you are planning to take.

Obviously you dont, because you said that Osteopathic medicine is alternative medicine in your last post. Whatupwitdat?

How long does it take for AACOMAS to actually mail out my stuff after I have been verified? It says my gpa was calculated on last Thursday, and still no mail outs. How long will I be waiting?

Obviously you dont, because you said that Osteopathic medicine is alternative medicine in your last post. Whatupwitdat?

How long does it take for AACOMAS to actually mail out my stuff after I have been verified? It says my gpa was calculated on last Thursday, and still no mail outs. How long will I be waiting?

I believe for me it was three days. More than likely today or tomorrow for you.

quick question - if I took the MCAT in early August and sent that score via AMCAS to the DO programs, will all other MCAT scores I get after that also be sent from that first request to send to other programs or do I have to re-request to send new scores to the other programs? I got new scores from the Sept. 16th test date. I have already submitted secondaries to all the schools I am applying to and have been complete for a couple of weeks now.

Thanks!

quick question - if I took the MCAT in early August and sent that score via AMCAS to the DO programs, will all other MCAT scores I get after that also be sent from that first request to send to other programs or do I have to re-request to send new scores to the other programs? I got new scores from the Sept. 16th test date. I have already submitted secondaries to all the schools I am applying to and have been complete for a couple of weeks now.

Thanks!

Nope, you have to release scores to AACOMAS again.

Thanks. Now am I obligated to release those scores or can I also just leave my application as it is?

Thanks. Now am I obligated to release those scores or can I also just leave my application as it is?

You better check with your schools. If they are expecting a new MCAT score from you then you better tell them you wish not to submit your most recent score and you want to proceed with your application as is.

There was a thread about this a week or so ago. I would just make sure that you are being academically honest and not trying to hide your most recent MCAT score.

Good Luck :luck:

Hi gang... what exactly goes into the BCPM GPA? Every single course from those (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math) departments?

For instance, I was not a science major and took some courses from these depts. that were indicate as "for non-science majors only". In other words, they were "science lite" and didn't have labs or anything like that. A Biology or Chem major would have literally not been able to enroll in them.

Do these non-science major courses still count for calculating BCPM? :scared:

Math courses do not count as Science as far as AACOMAS is concerned. The other courses will.

They would still count but may not fill the requirements to count as a prereq. AACOMAS only uses BCP the M goes into your cumulative GPA.

If it sounds like biology, chemistry, or physics, mark it as such. medical schools don't know how easy or hard a class is.

OP .... it is absolutely shocking to me that no one took your username before Oct of 06.

OP .... it is absolutely shocking to me that no one took your username before Oct of 06.

That was surprising to me too... nearly 7 years is a long time for no one to have claimed it. Then again, most people on this board, and especially me, aren't actually Doctors (at least not yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.