***2007-2008 Application Season*** Post all application questions here! Part I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you just had the transcripts sent a week ago then they probably haven't received them yet or haven't gotten around to yours yet. It really shouldn't take long after they have received them. As for the MCAT score check your score report and make sure your SSN is not listed as 999-99-9999. If so, AACOMAS won't upload your score until they match. This happened to me but once I went through the process of getting the AAMC to fix it it only took 1 day for AACOMAS to upload my scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Compute your GPA and credit hour totals for science, nonscience,
and combined, as well as by year. The Science category
would include all courses with subject codes of B, O T S, P, and I.
Non-science would include courses with subject codes of M, E, H,
and N. Courses with AACOMAS grades of P, N, and G
are not included in GPA calculations.

From: http://www.aacom.org/home-applicants/app/2008_AACOMAS_Instructions.pdf

So, how does that make sense? P is included in science and N is included in non-science...so how can 'P, N, and G' not be included in GPA calculations?

Can someone clarify this for me?

Yeah but that's subject codes vs. AACOMAS grades. Two different things.

P=Pass, N=Fail, but not equivalent to the letter grade F, G= no grade (i.e. CLEP)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone! I just submitted my AACOMAS application a few days ago and I was wondering approximately how long it takes for it to be verified? I am soooo stressed out right now about the entire process!

Anyways, good luck to everyone!

It took AACOMAS a few weeks (14 days) to verify and to send out my application. Once it got sent secondary applications came with in days after being mailed out. It will happen quick so have those essays ready.

They got my last transcript on the 7th and I'm still waiting.... Their website says it can take 4-6 weeks!

I know how you feel! I keep reading these boards seeing people getting acceptances while I'm still waiting for them to get my app! It's killer!

I have a question regarding the updated transcripts in the ACCOMAS application. I sent my updated summer transcripts 2 weeks ago and they are still not up, how long does that normally take? (Or do they leave the dates the same as your original transcript) And does it really matter if I send my application without the updated transcript? I'm being held up waiting on a transcript that only has grades for 2 final classes and its killing me. I've emailed ACCOMAS but I still haven't gotten any response from them. Thanks for any help/advice.

:(:scared:

They got my last transcript on the 7th and I'm still waiting.... Their website says it can take 4-6 weeks!

I know how you feel! I keep reading these boards seeing people getting acceptances while I'm still waiting for them to get my app! It's killer!

Exactly Kate! While I am incredibly happy for everyone, I am constantly worried about having not even started the process yet. Oh well...there isn't much we can do right? Good luck!

It took about three weeks for my app to be verified. I won't be complete at schools probably until the middle of October because I'm still waiting on some LORs. It is exciting but hard to watch other people interviewing and being accepted. With my low MCAT score I'm worried by the time they get around to me there won't be any seats left.

yeah man, check teh SS number on the left panel of your online application(i think it says account information)...i didnt do it and i was delayed for like 2 weeks until i called and they poinoted that out to me

So I am new to this whole AACOMAS application, and needed help with a simple question....

I kept looking at the instructions and I didnt see anything about what to put in the grade section for IB/AP courses. They said what to put in the AACOMAS grade section, but not for the grade section. Maybe I missed it but if anyone knows let me know. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that if you retake a course AACOMAS only averages the new grade into your gpa and disregards the old one. However, I was wondering if the GPA's that the medical schools (DO) advertise on their websites are the origional/actual gpa's (before ratakes are calcualted) or are they reporting the average gpa's after repeats have been calculated into the equation.

-Just curious

thanks

I would assume the GPAs calculated by AACOMAS which means the ones with retakes included. I can't imagine schools would go through the time and effort of calculating all the students' GPAs without the retakes.

sorry u guys some other simple questions, but just want to make sure I'm doing this right...

(1)ok for grade I just put whatever is on the transcript, and for aacomas grade do I just put the same thing?

B for class x, put B for grade, put B for aacomas grade????

(2)what about courses that include labs? should I indicate somehow a lab is included?

thanks!!!!!!! appreciate the help!

I would assume the GPAs calculated by AACOMAS which means the ones with retakes included. I can't imagine schools would go through the time and effort of calculating all the students' GPAs without the retakes.

Thanks. That's what I assumed. Anyone else know for sure?

Thanks. That's what I assumed. Anyone else know for sure?

Just like the previous poster said; it's the AACOMAS GPA. They wouldn't waste their time re-calculating GPAs. Plus, since the AACOMAS GPA with retakes will be higher than the AMCAS GPA with retakes, it will show their school having a higher average. And we know every school wants as high an average GPA as possible.

Hi, I'm new. I'm also considering applying to a few osteopathic schools in my quest to become a physician. I have a letter about recommendations and reference letters: do some schools require a letter specifically from a DO? I know MSUCOM doesn't (one of my top choices).

Another question: Is there a deadline for the AACOMAS applicaiton? I'm writing it now! The secondary applications are further down the line but it seems that my chances grow if I submit earlier. Is this only because some students have already been chosen? Is it because it "looks bad" if you apply later? That might sound naive. I doubt the latter explanation.

Is there a deadline for AACOMAS applications? It seems there are separate online application deadlines for different schools.

I've only decided recently to pursue medicine. My undergrad wasn't great. My first round at the MCAT was a 30Q. I only started taking bio courses during the spring, and I need more psych and english credits before I make the transition to medical school. So I'm doing that now. I don't have a heck of a lot of related ec's: I'm volunteering at a rehab center now and struggling to find more.

I'm from Canada. I'm not even sure there are any DO's in Canada!

I'm new, but not old. I've received a degree in chemistry and took time off to travel. Call it a transitional period, call it soul searching. Both terms are accurate. The idea of becoming a doctor was something I never really explored. It hit me like a ton of bricks one day. At once, while visiting a seminar on a Caribbean medical school, a desire I've never before felt overcame me. Comparing my motivation as an undergraduate to now is night and day. I stay up late thinking about it. I work hard at school. I listen to the little details and asides about diseases and genetic disorders during my undergrad lectures. I love helping people. I enjoy interacting with human beings, not because they might need my help, but because they're human beings. What more do I need to do to get in?

Why osteopathy? Whole body approach, whole patient approach. It's a philosophy worth philosophizing about.

You opinions are very much appreciated.

I thought MSUCOM wanted like 2 DO letters. Could be wrong.

Check individual school websites, they'll tell you if the DO letter is required or only strongly recommended. Shadowing a DO may be a very good idea- you'll have some more clinical experience to put down as well.

AACOMAS, as far as I know, doesn't have a specific due date. Just like AMCAS, the sooner you get it in the better. Each school posts the due date of their secondary.

Good luck!

I know NYCOM and UNECOM do not require DO letter, and do accept people without them (I was accepted at both without a DO letter)!

DMU does not require DO letters. I had the option of getting a letter from a DO I shadowed twice or an MD I knew really well and I opted for the MD letter. I think I made the right choice and it was never brought up at any of my interviews.

DMU does not require a DO letter, but one of the people in the admissions office told me that they suggest one. It isn't on the website that I've seen, but that's what she said to me.

you are wrong about msu.

MSUCOM has two evaluation forms that they ask be filled out. They do not need to be done by a DO or even by a professor, rather someone who knows you well. I had a family friend/pastor do one and I had my girlfriends father do one. How's that for non-traditional?

Also, the reason for applying early is that schools use rolling admissions. If you are in early, there is a better chance that they will even get to your application. By the end of the admission season there are only a few spots in the class to fill, and they will be much more selective in their invites.

Hello fellow Pre-DO'ers, I was wondering if there was anyone who had their AACOMAS sent to the following schools that were mailed on 9/23?

NSUCOM
LECOM-Bradenton
Touro-NY
Touro-CA
Touro-NV
WVSOM

I had mine sent and contacted them earlier today and still they claim to have not received my AACOMAS. Is anyone else in the same boat? I read previous posts from appx. earlier this month where other applicants claim to have been sent secondaries from schools such as NSUCOM within a few days after the AACOMAS mailing date. I've given it all week. Do you guys think that there is something wrong with my AACOMAS being sent or do I need to give it more time before contacting them? Any info is greatly appreciated. I'm getting worried :confused:

It was mailed on the 23rd? I wouldn't worry too much then, it hasn't been quite a full week. So, if you consider the time to get it mailed... make it to the school... and then they have to update their records... I think you're still alright. I would see how you stand with schools around Tuesday or Wednesday.

Yeah, AACOMAS sends them via snail mail, so give the schools at least 7-10 working days to acknowledge receipt of your primary application. The season is picking up pace now and this is the beginning of the busiest part of the year!

Don't worry, they will get it soon and then you will be begging for schools to stop sending you secondaries! Get ready for essay time! :D

ok my post got hidden back there so reposting in case anyone can answer. thanks! appreciate any help!

(1)ok for grade I just put whatever is on the transcript, and for aacomas grade do I just put the same thing?

B for class x, put B for grade, put B for aacomas grade????

(2)what about courses that include labs? should I indicate somehow a lab is included?

1) I would put whatever is on your transcript if you are on a +/- system with the exception of A+'s which just become A's. However if you are on a + only system, you can adjust B+s, for example, to a 3.5 rather than a 3.3.

2) I put '(w/lab)' for all courses with a lab. AACOMAS did not delete this.

1) I would put whatever is on your transcript if you are on a +/- system with the exception of A+'s which just become A's. However if you are on a + only system, you can adjust B+s, for example, to a 3.5 rather than a 3.3.

2) I put '(w/lab)' for all courses with a lab. AACOMAS did not delete this.

Awesome. Thanks for answering!!!! :bow:

The FAQ lists computer science in the non-science, math category.

Is it included in my science GPA or not?

I don't think it is on AMCAS.

No. It is not considered science for your med school applications.

No. It is not considered science for your med school applications.

Incorrect. AMCAS considers computer science to be not math thus not BCMP. TMDSAS and AACOMAS consider CS to be math thus BCMP.

In my case this raises my BCMP GPA by 0.5 which is why I care.

Incorrect. AMCAS considers computer science to be not math thus not BCMP. TMDSAS and AACOMAS consider CS to be math thus BCMP.

In my case this raises my BCMP GPA by 0.5 which is why I care.

Okay you just said that Concubine was incorrect but then you argued the same point. It isn't part of the science GPA for AMCAS and AACOMAS doesn't include math in the science GPA so therefore it isn't included there either. Concubine was right.

Okay you just said that Concubine was incorrect but then you argued the same point. It isn't part of the science GPA for AMCAS and AACOMAS doesn't include math in the science GPA so therefore it isn't included there either. Concubine was right.

Oh crap. This is my most favorite and least favorite thing about SDN: I find out the truth by posting out of my ass, getting corrected, half-finishing a counter-argument and then looking it up and seeing how on crack I was. Sigh.

EEL08 is correct. Concubine is correct.

But now that my confidence is shattered, I have to ask: wasn't I correct that TMDSAS includes CS in the science GPA? At least that would be one out of three...

Oh crap. This is my most favorite and least favorite thing about SDN: I find out the truth by posting out of my ass, getting corrected, half-finishing a counter-argument and then looking it up and seeing how on crack I was. Sigh.

EEL08 is correct. Concubine is correct.

But now that my confidence is shattered, I have to ask: wasn't I correct that TMDSAS includes CS in the science GPA? At least that would be one out of three...

:laugh: Ahhh, that was funny. I'm actually not sure about TMDSAS but you could be right. You know what? I bet you are right! :D

You have to be a true masochist to enjoy CS. Or so I'm told.

BCPM intact, never taking another CS class again.

I was just wondering, the mcat site messed up my social and I'm in the process of having them fix it. Right now it says 999-99-9999. Is it possible to just change my Social Security number to that number on the AACOMAS site so the scores could get released then change it to the correct one later? Not that I want to try this but I was just curious if anyone knew.:cool:

I was just wondering, the mcat site messed up my social and I'm in the process of having them fix it. Right now it says 999-99-9999. Is it possible to just change my Social Security number to that number on the AACOMAS site so the scores could get released then change it to the correct one later? Not that I want to try this but I was just curious if anyone knew.:cool:

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Which place on AACOMAS are you talking about?

I had the same problem. You need to send AAMC proof of your real SSN to have them change it, and then have them send it to AACOMAS. Or something like that. But no, you can't change your SSN. Or if you could, it would take way longer than just doing it the other way.

I had the same darn problem. So did a number of other people on here. How do they turn everyone's SSN to 999-99-9999?

It was such a nuisance, you have to jump through their hoops and mail in a notarized copy of your driver's license and SSN card.

I wasn't all 9's. I had two numbers transposed. I don't know if this was my fault or not, but it passed through my last application cycle in '05 completely unnoticed, apparently by anybody. Only AACOMAS caught it this time.

However, I do remember TMDSAS having trouble getting my MCAT score loaded last time, but they didn't ever tell me why. Maybe this was why.

Status
Not open for further replies.