***2007-2008 Application Season*** Post all application questions here! Part I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The hardest part of the whole application process for me was going through and entering in all my grades from my undergrad. Looking at some of the crap I did badly in...

F - Sport and Event Promotion
C - Coaching theories and principals

I could go on...

Members don't see this ad.

Im waiting to get my MCAT score back in the next few weeks and while im waiting im filling out the other application stuff. My question is while If i get my letters or reccomendation and send them in, and then god forbid I do porrly on my MCAT and have to retake next year, will all of my information and letters and what not be saved, or do I have to redo everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im waiting to get my MCAT score back in the next few weeks and while im waiting im filling out the other application stuff. My question is while If i get my letters or reccomendation and send them in, and then god forbid I do porrly on my MCAT and have to retake next year, will all of my information and letters and what not be saved, or do I have to redo everything.

If you have your letters sent to Interfolio and open up an account longer than a year then you might not have to deal with that. Everything else you enter including work and volunteer experiences, courses, etc. will be gone when the 2008-2009 application cycle starts.

Ok, so i"m working on filling out my accomas, in the coursework section do I list EVERY COURSE I have ever taken? or only courses that fulfill the pre-reqs for the schools in applying for?

Yes, every single course. It was really a pain for my husband because he has over 400 credit hours. :laugh:

geez, that is the stupidest thing I've ever seen, I send them all my transcripts but still have to list ever course, looks like this will be my project for the day :(

Ok, thanks guys

400 hours? Wow. I have like 240, and it took me all day. 3 application services too.

The real pain is trying to remember the grades you got from courses you took way back...For me, I had to report college courses I took in high school. I didn't even remember half of them, so I ordered a copy of my transcripts. Also, sending in multiple transcripts is a pain and more $.

The real pain is trying to remember the grades you got from courses you took way back...For me, I had to report college courses I took in high school. I didn't even remember half of them, so I ordered a copy of my transcripts. Also, sending in multiple transcripts is a pain and more $.

I'm the same way, luckily I have a copy of all of my transcripts in front of me, this is soooooo painful

Hey Everyone,

I just got my mcat scores back today, and I was wondering, do i just release my score report through the mcat services to AACOMAS or should I create a score report and email the verification code to the schools? is that right?

Thanks

Please guys does anyone know if it's possible to apply to 3 schools now and maybe later apply to maybe 5 more?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes you can it will just cost you more later.

Thx EEL08. Do u mean just in terms of the money?

Since medical schools have rolling admissions, I would apply to all the schools you're considering now so you don't run the risk of not getting accepted to a particular school because you applied too late.

Hi yall,

I don't know a lot about applying DO... would it be extremely late to apply now? Has it been taking the 4-6 weeks to process?

Nope ... in terms of blood. It will cost you your soul:scared:

:laugh: And yes Chiloxy I was just referring to the financial cost. I believe for each school it's cheaper when you pay the first time versus adding schools. I haven't done it so I don't know how much more but I know you can add more schools after the fact.

I don't recall for certain, but I'm pretty sure I added one or two, and just had to pay the extra 35 bucks or whatever...

Needless to say, you definitely can add more later.

so it's not too late to apply? i'm on the cusp in terms of gpa and am awaiting my mcat score.

Hey Everyone,

I just got my mcat scores back today, and I was wondering, do i just release my score report through the mcat services to AACOMAS or should I create a score report and email the verification code to the schools? is that right?

Thanks

I just had mine released to AACOMAS. If you want to get your scores to the schools faster you could e-mail or call them and see if it would be okay for you to fax them your scores.

Hi yall,

I don't know a lot about applying DO... would it be extremely late to apply now? Has it been taking the 4-6 weeks to process?
Took about 3 weeks for mine. Hook 'em.

I just had mine released to AACOMAS. If you want to get your scores to the schools faster you could e-mail or call them and see if it would be okay for you to fax them your scores.

thanks! yeah i just released it to aacomas as well...

So here is my deal

I'm taking the mcat in Jan, I've talked to all the schools I've applied to and they say that this is fine. I am also taking a majority of my pre-req classes this year, I've also told the schools this and they say this is fine

I know getting into fall 2008 is a long shot but I'm shooting anyway because it is still a possibility.

My question is do I submit my applications now or do I wait until the end of this first quarter when I've aced all of my pre-req classes and blow them away by my 4.0 science gpa:luck:

so it's not too late to apply? i'm on the cusp in terms of gpa and am awaiting my mcat score.

Honestly I don't think it's too late to apply. The faster you can submit AACOMAS the better. You would need to get your transcripts in and get a hold of LOR very soon. If you want to share your stats and activities it might be easier to tell you if you have a good chance or not.

I would wait until December when your fall grades are in. Your MCAT scores won't be available until February so you can't be complete at schools until then at least. Have your AACOMAS ready to submit, enter those classes with grades then have your transcript sent. Oh and if you have any other schools you should have those transcripts sent now if you haven't already. So let's say you submit the middle of December and AACOMAS verifies and mails your app by the end of January. That still gives you a little time to finish and submit your secondaries and have LOR sent to the schools. Did all that just make sense because I feel like I'm talking in circles? :p

I would wait until December when your fall grades are in. Your MCAT scores won't be available until February so you can't be complete at schools until then at least. Have your AACOMAS ready to submit, enter those classes with grades then have your transcript sent. Oh and if you have any other schools you should have those transcripts sent now if you haven't already. So let's say you submit the middle of December and AACOMAS verifies and mails your app by the end of January. That still gives you a little time to finish and submit your secondaries and have LOR sent to the schools. Did all that just make sense because I feel like I'm talking in circles? :p

Ha, yep that makes sense and was sort of what I was thinking about doing, so thanks!

Does anyone know what the quality points in the aacomas gpa calc area are? Do adcoms use these?

Does anyone know what the quality points in the aacomas gpa calc area are? Do adcoms use these?

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to, but usually QP is simply your grade for the class (the numeric equivalent, usually out of 4.0; i.e., B = 3.0) multiplied by the semester credit hours of the class (say, 4 credit hours). Your QP for a given semester is the sum of all of the QP's for the classes in that semester. If you divide the semester QP by the total number of credits for that semester, you then have the overall GPA for that semester. Likewise, if you add up all the QP for the year and divide that by the total number of credit hours for that year, you have the overall GPA for that year, and so forth.

You fill in what AACOMAS wants you to fill and they calculate your GPA; you don't need to do that. Adcom members will see your AACOMAS calculated GPAs and may use them for admissions purposes.

How long does it take MCAT folks to send the score to DO Application system ?

Once you release it to AACOMAS, it should take a day or two (if my memory serves me correctly).

Where on your apps are you supposed to list shadowing experience?

Should this be listed on your primary under EC's OR is this something that gets addressed in secondaries?

Thanks

I have a question. Does anyone know if AACOMAS leaves out a course you are CURRENTLY RETAKING in your GPA?

I am RETAKING the 2nd series Physics this semester and I reported it in my AACOMAS application as in progress. When they verified my gpa, they only counted my 1st series into the gpa. It seems they didn't count my 2nd series grade from before, but pending completion of this class, they will. Has this happened to anyone?

I really don't understand your question, BUT ... AACOMAS (unlike AMCAS) completely replaces grades that you retake. No averaging, just replacement. It's a great thing ... :thumbup: I hope that helps.

I have a question. Does anyone know if AACOMAS leaves out a course you are CURRENTLY RETAKING in your GPA?

I am RETAKING the 2nd series Physics this semester and I reported it in my AACOMAS application as in progress. When they verified my gpa, they only counted my 1st series into the gpa. It seems they didn't count my 2nd series grade from before, but pending completion of this class, they will. Has this happened to anyone?

They can't really count it as a repeat if you haven't finished it yet. Once you finish it you can update AACOMAS(?) and the schools.

Does this mean that your AACOMAS won't be complete until they receive that grade??? I imagine this would hold up the process as you wouldn't be receiving any secondaries in the inerim, no? I was wondering because I have been contemplating taking the second series of physics over again as well (didn't do too hot...) but I won't take it until after I take the MCAT next summer in June so grades won't come out until beginning of August, which would mean I wouldn't start receiving secondaries until mid-August. Someone please correct me if I am wrong? If not, then should I just not report it as 'in progress' when I file my AACOMAS and then update them later??

PlAnEjaNe

Does this mean that your AACOMAS won't be complete until they receive that grade??? I imagine this would hold up the process as you wouldn't be receiving any secondaries in the inerim, no? I was wondering because I have been contemplating taking the second series of physics over again as well (didn't do too hot...) but I won't take it until after I take the MCAT next summer in June so grades won't come out until beginning of August, which would mean I wouldn't start receiving secondaries until mid-August. Someone please correct me if I am wrong? If not, then should I just not report it as 'in progress' when I file my AACOMAS and then update them later??

PlAnEjaNe

Reporting it as in progress will not hold up your application. I listed two as in progress and one that would be taken this semester. They just calculated my GPA based on the actual grades I entered as compared to what is on my transcripts.

Quick questions about adding coursework on AACOMAS:

1. I did a year at NYU before I transferred to UM, when I add stuff from NYU do I put course title and info from that university or do I put what UM put it as on my transcripts

2. I failed organic 2 and am not taking it till next semester, do I put that as in progress or just leave it alone???

free mike vick

Quick questions about adding coursework on AACOMAS:

1. I did a year at NYU before I transferred to UM, when I add stuff from NYU do I put course title and info from that university or do I put what UM put it as on my transcripts

2. I failed organic 2 and am not taking it till next semester, do I put that as in progress or just leave it alone???

free mike vick

1. You need to put it as listed on your NYU transcript which will have to be sent to AACOMAS.

2. You can list it as a class that you will be taking, which school and which semester.

1. You need to put it as listed on your NYU transcript which will have to be sent to AACOMAS.

2. You can list it as a class that you will be taking, which school and which semester.

So I need to have NYU send the transcript over to AACOMAS even if my transcripts were sent to UM and transferred over here? :confused:

NYU is so whack about transcripts. They gave my friend a hard time and it took him weeks to get my transcripts sent from nyu (i live in miami so i couldn'nt go in and do paper myself)

So I need to have NYU send the transcript over to AACOMAS even if my transcripts were sent to UM and transferred over here? :confused:

NYU is so whack about transcripts. They gave my friend a hard time and it took him weeks to get my transcripts sent from nyu (i live in miami so i couldn'nt go in and do paper myself)

Yes you have to have the transcript sent from the actual school. Your UM transcript is not sufficient even if each course is listed in the same way. Pain in the butt, I know.

i got my score on sept 12th and the schools i called still havent received it even though its logged in my accomas account page

i got my score on sept 12th and the schools i called still havent received it even though its logged in my accomas account page

I have no idea how long it takes for AACOMAS to send your updated file to your designated schools. Perhaps your best bet is to contact AACOM and ask.

I have no idea how long it takes for AACOMAS to send your updated file to your designated schools. Perhaps your best bet is to contact AACOM and ask.

I have the same dilemma, AACOMAS got my score on Sept. 17 so I wanted to know how long it will take them to sent it out. So I called them, but lo behold I went through an automated system for like 10 minutes and finally when I was about to speak to a customer rep., I received a stupid voicemail. "AACOMAS is currently busy, please leave a message" UGHHH!!!

I did email them though, but it says it takes them 2-3 business days to reply. :mad:

I received a call back from AACOMAS just a little bit ago. They said, they forward the score the following week. So mine got there 9/17 so I'm guessing it probably be sent out on the 24th. WTF!! it takes them A WEEK to electronically send the score.

yeah kcumb told me that as well, that they actually get mailed to them

i know nycom does not send secondary applications to those who arent being interviewed, but should i send them LORs now anyway?

I had some transcripts sent to them about 1 week ago but does it usually take like 3 weeks to get stuff cuz now it's blank. it is also blank for mcat scores and I had those released two weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.