2006 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MoosePilot said:
I got permission from the Air Force to apply! Hooray!! :D

I would say that feels like 50% of the job done to me (although there's much more than 50% left, with all these secondaries. Uggh).

:thumbup: Great news, Moose. :D Best of luck to you. :love:

Members don't see this ad.

I was finally verified by AMCAS this morning! My overall GPA was a bit lower than what I thought it would be but considering where it was when I first started taking my pre-reqs I won't complain! Hopefully, my MCAT will help.

Anyway, it feels good to have one more thing done. Now bring on the secondaries! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
titoincali said:
I was finally verified by AMCAS this morning! My overall GPA was a bit lower than what I thought it would be but considering where it was when I first started taking my pre-reqs I won't complain! Hopefully, my MCAT will help.

Anyway, it feels good to have one more thing done. Now bring on the secondaries! :thumbup:

Congrats on getting verified. :thumbup: You know something, I was thinking how funny it is that I've been so impatient these last few weeks for secondaries. Because now I'm considering how I'll be able to handle the onslaught if they all arrive at once. :eek: :scared:

QofQuimica said:
Congrats on getting verified. :thumbup: You know something, I was thinking how funny it is that I've been so impatient these last few weeks for secondaries. Because now I'm considering how I'll be able to handle the onslaught if they all arrive at once. :eek: :scared:

I know. My big concern is I'm leaving on July 16th for a 16 day trip to Scandinavia and Russia. I'm afraid there is going to be an onslaught of secondaries sent while I'm there! My e-mail account sends my e-mails to my phone, which is a world phone that will have coverage in Europe, so I'll know when I get secondaries but I can't guarentee that I can do something about it. :scared:

Anyway, I'm going to try to complete secondaries that are already posted online in the next couple of weeks but the rest is going to be tough. Do you know if there are time limits on the secondaries? Meaning, do they tell you they have to be returned within a certain amount of time?

Hey y'all,

First post for me. Very nontrad. Middle of AMCAS, shooting for July 11. Too late? Maybe. Anyway, just wanted to get started here.

Good luck everyone.

Emet

titoincali said:
Anyway, I'm going to try to complete secondaries that are already posted online in the next couple of weeks but the rest is going to be tough. Do you know if there are time limits on the secondaries? Meaning, do they tell you they have to be returned within a certain amount of time?

I don't know the answer to that. But I think that your plan to start working on your apps now is smart, and I don't think that waiting two weeks to return them will hurt you. I've started working on some of my essays as well. Also, if you haven't already, don't forget to start gently harrassing your LOR writers, because you'll need those letters for your secondaries.

EMET_BUTS, welcome to our humble forum. No, I don't think you'll be too late. Some people are not going to be complete until Oct. if they are taking the Aug. MCAT.

EMET_BUTS said:
Hey y'all,

First post for me. Very nontrad. Middle of AMCAS, shooting for July 11. Too late? Maybe. Anyway, just wanted to get started here.

Good luck everyone.

Emet

Welcome and good luck! :luck:

QofQuimica said:
I don't know the answer to that. But I think that your plan to start working on your apps now is smart, and I don't think that waiting two weeks to return them will hurt you. I've started working on some of my essays as well. Also, if you haven't already, don't forget to start gently harrassing your LOR writers, because you'll need those letters for your secondaries.

EMET_BUTS, welcome to our humble forum. No, I don't think you'll be too late. Some people are not going to be complete until Oct. if they are taking the Aug. MCAT.

I asked for my letters to be completed by July 1st, and by some miracle, they are all complete and waiting at my alma mater to be sent out!

And welcome EMET_BUTS!

QofQuimica said:
Any of you non-trads receive secondaries yet? jmugele, tito, darkside, moose, anyone else?
I got an automated email from VCU today, saying that my application status has changed and that I can go online to check on it. Well, I also discovered today that their application status system for 2006 applicants won't be available until 7/18. Cripes.

QofQuimica said:
Any of you non-trads receive secondaries yet? jmugele, tito, darkside, moose, anyone else?

I'm embarressed to admit that I've been obsessively checking my blackberry to see if I've received notification of an e-mail from schools. Now I know why they call it crackberry! I just checked the pre-allo forum and the only two schools that people mentioned they have received secondaries from are MCG and VCU, neither or which I applied to, so hopefully they are coming soon!

I just want at least one this week so I can feel validated or something. :laugh:

QofQuimica said:

No, but every time I get a notification from SDN, I think it might be a school contacting me. You're really throwing me off, here.

Anyone else hear anything yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
QofQuimica said:
lol, well, I've gotten one automated email so far, but that's it. Not like I'm obsessively checking or anything. :smuggrin:

Where's your automated email from?

QofQuimica said:
lol, well, I've gotten one automated email so far, but that's it. Not like I'm obsessively checking or anything. :smuggrin:

Was that the MCW e-mail?

Hey! I just hit the 100+ posts mark. Considering I was at the 10+ post mark early June I'd say it's a sad reflection of what my days are like now. Work, work, work, let's see if anyone has gotten off a waitlist, work, work, work, I wonder what SailCrazy has said lately, work, work, work...you get the picture. :smuggrin:

I haven't gotten ANYTHING from my amcas schools :(, but got OUCOM and MSUCOM secondaries and the NYCOM notification (basically a receipt for my aacomas app and saying interviews start in September). I applied to MCW and VCU but haven't heard anything! :eek:

I just (five minutes ago) got an email from Georgetown SOM saying they received my primary. The email then goes on to explain how selective GU is, their average stats, and that I should carefully consider everything before I submit my secondary and nonrefundable check. I wonder if they send the same form email to everyone, or if they filter based on the raw numbers.

blee said:
I just (five minutes ago) got an email from Georgetown SOM saying they received my primary. The email then goes on to explain how selective GU is, their average stats, and that I should carefully consider everything before I submit my secondary and nonrefundable check. I wonder if they send the same form email to everyone, or if they filter based on the raw numbers.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but my guess is that it's a form letter they send to everyone. It probably keeps people from complaining too much about their costs, and if it eliminates a few lower-tier secondaries, it lowers their cost too. I wouldn't worry that you were targeted or anything. Just one man's opinion.

No, I didn't apply to MCW. But I'm happy to announce that I just got my first secondary. :D It, and the mass email I mentioned before, are both from USF. They do screen based on state of residence, MCAT, and GPA. I haven't heard anything yet from any of the other FL schools.

Any other non-trads from FL applying? It seems like most of you guys are from the midwest or northeast. :p

QofQuimica said:
No, I didn't apply to MCW. But I'm happy to announce that I just got my first secondary. :D It, and the mass email I mentioned before, are both from USF. They do screen based on state of residence, MCAT, and GPA. I haven't heard anything yet from any of the other FL schools.

Any other non-trads from FL applying? It seems like most of you guys are from the midwest or northeast. :p

Congrats! I know you'll be successful in this application cycle. :love:

I'm waiting for that first response from a school that screens. Although it was nice to receive one today, even though I know the school doesn't screen and it practically told me to rethink applying to their school! :eek:

QofQuimica said:

Zip, zero, zilch, nada, nothing so far.

Not that I'm actually complaining, I'm still waiting on a few LOR's.

TheDarkSide said:
Zip, zero, zilch, nada, nothing so far.

Not that I'm actually complaining, I'm still waiting on a few LOR's.

I just now got a secondary notification from UVa. I don't know if they screen or not.

jmugele said:
I just now got a secondary notification from UVa. I don't know if they screen or not.
According to MSAR, they don't. I got the same email a little while ago today.

FYI (and for everyone else), their secondary app is all online, except for the part where you mail them a check. I could not find any provision to save your progress, though, so you might want to login, copy the mini essay prompts, and answer them in Textpad or Word or something similar. That way you can conveniently review them before pasting them in to submit.

Whoo! 1st secondary, from MCW. :thumbup:

Now I just have to get all my LOR's in order...

(banging head violently against table)

TheDarkSide said:
Whoo! 1st secondary, from MCW. :thumbup:

Now I just have to get all my LOR's in order...

(banging head violently against table)

Hang in there, DarkSide. I totally sympathize. I got my LORs sent in early by telling my letter writers in May that the letters had to be received by the end of June. :smuggrin: Of course, half of them were still late, but they did all make it in before I got any secondaries. All in all, I highly recommend fibbing to the letter writers about when the letters are due....I guess I should have told you about this idea a month ago instead of now. :oops:

One more sign of life for me: an acknowledgment form from U. Miami. :thumbup:

I've gotten secondaries from OSU-COM, AZCOM, and TCOM. Now I've gotten the one from GWU as well.

I have a question for all you non-trads. Being that I am 5 years out of school and took all my science classes at a different school than where I got my degree am I required to use my under-grad pre-health committee? Here's the situation. I talked to my undergrad pre-health committee chair (who I know well from working in the Bio dept while in school) and he agreed to write a letter for me even though I didn't take my prereqs there. I also got 1 bio, 1 chem, 1 physics prof (all from my post-bacc classes) and 2 MD's from work to write letters for me. Everyone has finished and submitted their letter except the undergrad committe letter and it looks like they are going to take a while. I want to start sending in some of my secondaries in the next week. Should I just use the letters from my post-bacc and work for now and think about using my committee letter for later schools when it's complete?

titoincali said:
I have a question for all you non-trads. Being that I am 5 years out of school and took all my science classes at a different school than where I got my degree am I required to use my under-grad pre-health committee? Here's the situation. I talked to my undergrad pre-health committee chair (who I know well from working in the Bio dept while in school) and he agreed to write a letter for me even though I didn't take my prereqs there. I also got 1 bio, 1 chem, 1 physics prof (all from my post-bacc classes) and 2 MD's from work to write letters for me. Everyone has finished and submitted their letter except the undergrad committe letter and it looks like they are going to take a while. I want to start sending in some of my secondaries in the next week. Should I just use the letters from my post-bacc and work for now and think about using my committee letter for later schools when it's complete?

Schools usually give an impression on whether they want a pre-med committee letter or are willing to take faculty letters in place of it. If they're ok with it and your LORs are good, run with that. Otherwise I'd wait.

QofQuimica said:
Hang in there, DarkSide. I totally sympathize. I got my LORs sent in early by telling my letter writers in May that the letters had to be received by the end of June. :smuggrin: Of course, half of them were still late, but they did all make it in before I got any secondaries. All in all, I highly recommend fibbing to the letter writers about when the letters are due....I guess I should have told you about this idea a month ago instead of now. :oops:

Heh. Did that. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it will be no big. I'm gonna chase my boss and the doc that's writing for me down this weekend, and if I remain unable to contact my English prof I have another I can use for a back up. It's still very early, I know... I'd just rather have it all under wraps.

titoincali said:

I think it is best to get letters from the people who taught you your pre-req classes; those are the most recent classes you took, right? I guess you should probably contact your medical schools and ask them about this. I didn't get any letters from my undergrad or even my MS, b/c how the heck am I supposed to show up after five years and ask for a LOR??? :rolleyes: :smuggrin: So I have one from my PhD PI, one from a committee member, one from an academic physician with whom I am volunteering, and two character letters.

Yeah, I'm not even sure who my instructors were for some of my pre-reqs! I got LORs from my old PI, my current PI, two of my recent instructors, and a coworker/advisor. Anyway, given the situation that many of us are in I can't imagine being required to use a pre-med committee. How could they possibly write a letter having no knowledge of you? Besides, many schools do not have these committees so it's not unheard of to send in LORs directly.

I got secondaries from OSU and OU via email today. It's too bad we don't know which schools screen before sending out secondaries.

I know that USF and U. Miami ask for a minimum MCAT and GPA, declaration of state residency, that kind of thing. I think that a lot of the schools that don't screen are the ones that sent mass emails to tons of people. There are several threads about it in pre-allo.

BTW, I want to tell you guys that I have been using Interfolio for my LORs and it is absolutely fantastic. It costs more ($4 to e-deliver the LORs and $5 to snail mail them) but it is so easy and convenient that it's worth the price. If you haven't checked it out, you might want to take a look: www.interfolio.com.

From TheDarkSide's mdapplicants profile - this has to be one of the best nontrad quotes ever:
TheDarkSide said:
"Very average EC stuff: .... 1 year science fiction & fantasy research assistant."
:laugh: At least is was science fiction!

You were right though. My background is pretty similar, except I have a year and a half as an associate research tech. investigating happenstance and whimsy! :D

Just found this thread...

I finally submitted AMCAS on 7/7. I couldn't get any momentum going on my personal statement and activity descriptions, but I'm happy with the final product once I got rolling.

I've applied to too many schools, but couldn't help myself. I can't wait to get processed, but fear the essay onslaught at the same time... :eek:

Good luck everyone! :luck:

I'm not quite up for dropping this into my sig. yet, but here I am in a nutshell: My MDapplicants profile

OK, so I just pressed the buttons to submit (and bill my credit card). Not sure I can believe I am actually doing this. I have thought about it every day of every year for 17 years. Even took MCATs back in the late 90's, only to let a 33 expire.

Thanks for starting and continuing these threads.... keeps us newbies hopeful...

Best of luck folks.

By the way, Sail.... I have about 8 of the same schools as you... you could be 9 years younger than a classmate (if I should be so lucky and be accepted!!)

EMET_BUTS said:
OK, so I just pressed the buttons to submit (and bill my credit card). Not sure I can believe I am actually doing this. I have thought about it every day of every year for 17 years. Even took MCATs back in the late 90's, only to let a 33 expire.

Thanks for starting and continuing these threads.... keeps us newbies hopeful...

Best of luck folks.

By the way, Sail.... I have about 8 of the same schools as you... you could be 9 years younger than a classmate (if I should be so lucky and be accepted!!)

Congrats!

SailCrazy said:
From TheDarkSide's mdapplicants profile - this has to be one of the best nontrad quotes ever:
:laugh: At least is was science fiction!

You were right though. My background is pretty similar, except I have a year and a half as an associate research tech. investigating happenstance and whimsy! :D

:laugh: I actually almost didn't put that in since it was during my first go round in college. But then I figured, hey, it's post-secondary and it's prolly something they don't see every day. And then I never went back and changed the "very average EC stuff" part.

It was a great job. I got to meet Madeleine L'Engle, if anyone knows who she is (A Wrinkle in Time).

EMET_BUTS said:

Best of luck folks.

And best of luck to you! :luck:

SailCrazy said:

I finally submitted AMCAS on 7/7. I couldn't get any momentum going on my personal statement and activity descriptions, but I'm happy with the final product once I got rolling.

I've applied to too many schools, but couldn't help myself. I can't wait to get processed, but fear the essay onslaught at the same time... :eek:

I'm not quite up for dropping this into my sig. yet, but here I am in a nutshell: My MDapplicants profile

Your MDapplicant profile looks quite solid for getting into MI schools...MSU in particular. Are you considering DO, or just MD? I, too, am from MI, and have done a great deal of research on UM and MSU. I met a recent non-trad graduate of UM, and was quite surprised to hear that his qualifications (for getting in) were less than stellar. As you may already know, UM has this (in-state) image that you practically have to be a genius to get accepted to its medical school. I also recently met with a non-trad DO graduate from MSU who is now practicing. Based on everything that I am hearing, if you are solid in your post-bacc or required classes, do well on the MCAT (30+), and have a good interview, then your chances are pretty good. You're definitely at an exciting phase of the game. Good luck!

SailCrazy said:

Hey Sail...
I have a question for you. I was a double major in Finance & Accounting, so I am coming from a similar background of business. I will be starting my pre-req 2 year plan this fall. Although I am very excited, and confident that I'll do well...I'm also a little anxious. In other words, how quickly will the legs come back...will it be information overload in the beginning...etc. And...even though I aced my calculus class, and all math related classes come very easy...I'm worried about physics as a result of being rusty. So, my question is: Did you feel similar to this? How long did it take you to get back into a groove? Did you find yourself working overly hard in physics just to reacquaint yourself with the mathematical requirements of the class? How difficult did you find classes like OChem and Genetics to be? Thanks for any input that you can offer!

TheDarkSide said:
It was a great job. I got to meet Madeleine L'Engle, if anyone knows who she is (A Wrinkle in Time).

That's so incredibly awesome, Darkside. :thumbup: One of my favorite books as a kid was the sequel to that one, called "A Wind in the Door." I really like how she mixes real science (mitochondria) with made up things (farandolae). Another thing I learned more recently is that L'Engle also wrote a novel about Antarctica (Troubling a Star), which I read a couple of years ago while I was working down there. Apparently L'Engle has been to Antarctica herself. Actually there is a program for artists to come down there, although I don't know if she participated in that or just came down on her own.

Sail, I'm glad you found our humble thread, and please keep updating us. I'm rooting for you. :thumbup:

EMET_BUTS, congrats on pushing the button. :cool: I know how you feel; I did the same thing w/ the MCAT in 1996. :rolleyes:

I was just thinking how fun it would be if we could have a medical school class somewhere that was majority non-trads. I have to say that I'd love to have any or all of you guys as my classmates. :thumbup: Here's to continuous good luck to all of the non-trad applicants. :love:

Hi JM,

It took me a little while to develop efficient study habits, but I made up for that initially with quantity rather than quality...! I had an advantage in that I took genchem & bio my first time through, so some things did ring a bell every now and then.

As far as physics is concerned, I took the non-calc physics. I worked hard but it went well. I don't know if I would have survived trying to re-learn calc in a calc-based class. Review your basic trig. early if that isn't fresh. I beat OChem into submission, again through lots of time & effort.

The main difference in returning to school was the ability to do most/all of the things that everyone knows should be done. I read the book (most of the time), did the homework, and studied. I didn't quit working when I would rather be doing something else. I quit when I knew the material. With a purpose and solid drive I found it much easier for me to put my nose to the grindstone that my classmates who lacked the same academic focus. Most of the time I don't mind it either... I know I'm working my way toward a great goal.

Good luck! :luck:

JamieMac said:
Hey Sail...
I have a question for you. I was a double major in Finance & Accounting, so I am coming from a similar background of business. I will be starting my pre-req 2 year plan this fall. Although I am very excited, and confident that I'll do well...I'm also a little anxious. In other words, how quickly will the legs come back...will it be information overload in the beginning...etc. And...even though I aced my calculus class, and all math related classes come very easy...I'm worried about physics as a result of being rusty. So, my question is: Did you feel similar to this? How long did it take you to get back into a groove? Did you find yourself working overly hard in physics just to reacquaint yourself with the mathematical requirements of the class? How difficult did you find classes like OChem and Genetics to be? Thanks for any input that you can offer!

Congrats! It does seem a bit crazy to have this process moving along...

I hope that we have 8 options to end up at the same place, but I'll still be happy with just 1 acceptance somewhere! :thumbup:
EMET_BUTS said:

Best of luck folks.

JamieMac said:
Are you considering DO, or just MD? .... I met a recent non-trad graduate of UM, and was quite surprised to hear that his qualifications (for getting in) were less than stellar. As you may already know, UM has this (in-state) image that you practically have to be a genius to get accepted to its medical school. I
I think about it more and more as I hear stories like that! :laugh:
Seriously though, I am thinking about it. I'm just giving myself a little post-AMCAS break. In my mind there is really no difference between a DO and an MD in practice. I haven't noticed any in my physician shadowing. If I felt comfortable that my current $670 in AMCAS fees and $1175 in secondary fees (if I am asked to and do return them all) - BEFORE any travel costs - were sure to gain 1 acceptance somewhere, I probably would opt not to incur the additional costs. I'm still worried, so I may add MSU DO and Chicago DO as well.

By the way, what were the stats of the UofM non-trad?

JamieMac said:
Your MDapplicant profile looks quite solid for getting into MI schools...MSU in particular. ... I also recently met with a non-trad DO graduate from MSU who is now practicing. Based on everything that I am hearing, if you are solid in your post-bacc or required classes, do well on the MCAT (30+), and have a good interview, then your chances are pretty good. You're definitely at an exciting phase of the game. Good luck!
Thanks! I'm hoping that is the case. I feel (and have been told) that I will interview well, so I hope that my MCAT, post-bacc grades, & essays/letter of rec are enough to get me there! :luck:

TheDarkSide said:
:laugh: I actually almost didn't put that in since it was during my first go round in college. But then I figured, hey, it's post-secondary and it's prolly something they don't see every day. And then I never went back and changed the "very average EC stuff" part.

I love Madeleine L'Engle! I used to reread the Time trilogy all the time when i was younger. In fact, I can't wait until my niece is a few years older so I can introduce her to the books. What a great job!

I'm such a dork that I don't think meeting celebraties would phase me much but I get excited about meeting authors!

Sweet! Just got my first secondary :thumbup: . Its nice to see an email from Penn, even if I know they send one to everybody. Hey JM, I got your PM, check yer inbox.

titoincali said:
I'm such a dork that I don't think meeting celebraties would phase me much but I get excited about meeting authors!

I feel the same way about authors, and also Nobel-prize winners in the sciences. I have met about a dozen of them at lectures (I always go talk to them afterward) and it is pretty cool. :cool:

QofQuimica said:
I feel the same way about authors, and also Nobel-prize winners in the sciences. I have met about a dozen of them at lectures (I always go talk to them afterward) and it is pretty cool. :cool:

Have you also started a collection of signed books by authors? :laugh:

Re: secondaries, I've received MCW, MSUCOM, OUCOM, KCOM. MCW and MSUCOM are out the door, working on OUCOM and KCOM hoping to have them out the door by Friday. MSUCOM was kindof a pain in the brain - they wanted all your work history and other "nonacademic experiences" since high school. With dates for each. But I suppose it gives them a very thorough overview of the applicant that way.