$20,000 signing bonus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just talked to my recruiter, he said its only for medical, not the dental HPSP. I hope that you guys are right but Im skeptical now.

Members don't see this ad.

I just talked to my recruiter, he said its only for medical, not the dental HPSP. I hope that you guys are right but Im skeptical now.
I thought you meant NAVY/ARMY...my bad. AF currently does not have a 20,000 sign on bonus as far as I know.

From what I hear/read, the Air Force has no trouble making its quota so offering a bonus would be a business waste. The AF usually ends up with a waiting list.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, thats what my recruiter said. He said that they are offering it to the medical AF because they had unfilled spots but were not offering it to dental. I hope SMILLS91 is right, but I dont know how he is so sure the AF is offering it.

Yeah, thats what my recruiter said. He said that they are offering it to the medical AF because they had unfilled spots but were not offering it to dental. I hope SMILLS91 is right, but I dont know how he is so sure the AF is offering it.

Well, my recruiter did a excellent job with my application and was very honest the entire time.......so I believe him when he says it will be going for both....but who knows....maybe he was given false information......he makes sure to not tell me anything that's not official, unless I ask him....and when I asked him, he told me that he has also heard that the $20,000 bonus is coming to the AF .....we will just have to wait and see

I hope so. It be nice to have some extra money when in D-school.

Like my recruiter said, they didn't ask for the bonus but they were given it because both the Army and Navy has it. On the other hand, he has yet to see it in writing on his desk yet or as something he can guarantee to recruits. Basically he told me it's something that will happen but the time frame of when it will be instated is not definite yet, so don't count on it.

Yep, my recruiter has told this to me too. He said that nothing is in writing, though. He also said that if it does become official, then we would get the bonus if we haven't started dental school. So hopefully it becomes official soon!

For the record, my recruiter confirmed that this is something that has been passed down from higher-ups and is GUARANTEED (at least for physician HPSPers) It is unlikely that I will accept, because I would have to owe another year. The 20k CSAB comes with a 4-year contract to be served concurrently with your HPSP obligation.

I asked my AF recruiter about this... he's been doing it for a while and seems to be top notch. Here's his reply:
As of now, the 20K is for Med students only

It's offered with the 3-year, but you'll owe 4 active instead of 3 active duty years.

very true...thats how the Army HPSP works. 9k first year 9k second year and 2 k 3rd year...For the Army it is medical and dental hpsp gets the bonus...The only stipulation is that the applicant cannot require a waiver for the scholarship. Waiver can be age, moral or weight.

very true...thats how the Army HPSP works. 9k first year 9k second year and 2 k 3rd year...For the Army it is medical and dental hpsp gets the bonus...The only stipulation is that the applicant cannot require a waiver for the scholarship. Waiver can be age, moral or weight.

That's really how the Army decided to break out it's bonus? With the Navy, I got 9k on one day, 9k the next, and 2k the next, so I got all 20k over a three day span. They said it was because there were reporting issues if they gave over 10k at any given time.

As for the waiver thing, again I can only speak for the Navy, I had a medical waiver and still got the bonus.

I asked my AF recruiter about this... he's been doing it for a while and seems to be top notch. Here's his reply:
As of now, the 20K is for Med students only

I can confirm this. Just got off the phone with my recruiter and he said that the bonus had been approved, but he didn't know when it would be dispersed. I called AFIT to confirm this info but he said that as of now a bonus has been approved for medical students but NOT dental and that there would be no bonus instated for dental students in the near future. Good for med students bad for dental.

Bottom line: Don't count on it.

Yeah but Joe Blow doesn't get his professional education paid for with a stipend each month.

Couldn't be more true...... I figure the Navy is going to spend somewhere between 300K-400K for my dental school..... and then when i get out they will pay me 70k a year or so..... not a bad deal

so, if you are doing the military for the money, unless its gonna cost you 400k to pay for school, dont do it. (period)

Remarkably, there are quite a few dental schools such as Boston and NYU that DO cost near that figure. I have no idea how I would begin to pay that amount of money back. OUCH.

Couldn't be more true...... I figure the Navy is going to spend somewhere between 300K-400K for my dental school..... and then when i get out they will pay me 70k a year or so..... not a bad deal

This is true. On July 1st, the stipend will jump to $1907 a month. Once you factor in your 45 day active duty time, which can get you a nice chunk of extra cash. Also, you will get the bonus of experience to know what the hell you are doing when you get out of the military. Many dental schools do not prepare students for private practice; not even close to preparing them. In fact, many people are concerned at how few dental schools actually prepare students for life after school.

The HPSP is a good deal.