HPSP Tuition/Reimbursement/Stipend/Bonus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brephos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a NavyHPSP D1 and school has begun. I thought I'd share what's going on with me and hope some of you will do the same to make sure we're getting what we should - when we should.

1. Tuition - Nobody at my school has asked me for any tuition money or about paying for anything. Boy that's nice. Apparently, it's being taken care of without me doing anything. Now to be clear, I signed and provided information on what seemed like a million naval forms/documents the day I commissioned. I also signed something for my dental school months ago affirming that I was an HPSP student, but that's it. I just showed up and everything is apparently taken care of without me doing anything more. I kind of thought somebody might say where's the money - or come fill out a bunch more stuff or I'd have to do something to get the ball rolling, but apparently the school and the military are in sync. (I will check on getting my deposit money reimbursed soon, but for now - I'm not worried about it.)

2. Reimbursement - I'm keeping up with receipts and for example ordered a rental laptop ... got proper paperwork and signature from school registrar proving it was required and submitted yesterday. I'm hopeful this will work out as easy as tuition, but have no idea how long it will take to get reimbursed. We'll see.

3. Stipend/Bonus - Last week was orientation for my dental school, and my first day of class was yesterday, Monday 8/27. I would love to get my first stipend payment this Friday on 8/31, but have a feeling it won't come until 9/14 or maybe 10/1 or even later. I understand the bonus will be paid within 30 days of the first stipend payment. Hence - we need that first stipend payment to get the ball rolling:)

I'll share when I get my first stipend and bonus payment (comes in 3 installments) - so you can see if you are getting yours when I'm getting mine. If you are a D1 in any branch please share when you got your stipend/bonus - this way we'll know if we might have a problem we need to check on - since none of us know when we are supposed to get paid. Thanks in advance for any replies.

By the way, I know some of you may have had a school that started in June and you can share with us your timeline as it's possible you are already receiving your stipend/bonus and that will give us all a general idea as to what we can expect.

Anchors Aweigh!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
May I ask you how long after Dental school do you have to serve ? I think I may be interested in doing this but I have no clue about anything

QUOTE="brephos, post: 20262173, member: 857565"]I'm a NavyHPSP D1 and school has begun. I thought I'd share what's going on with me and hope some of you will do the same to make sure we're getting what we should - when we should.

1. Tuition - Nobody at my school has asked me for any tuition money or about paying for anything. Boy that's nice. Apparently, it's being taken care of without me doing anything. Now to be clear, I signed and provided information on what seemed like a million naval forms/documents the day I commissioned. I also signed something for my dental school months ago affirming that I was an HPSP student, but that's it. I just showed up and everything is apparently taken care of without me doing anything more. I kind of thought somebody might say where's the money - or come fill out a bunch more stuff or I'd have to do something to get the ball rolling, but apparently the school and the military are in sync. (I will check on getting my deposit money reimbursed soon, but for now - I'm not worried about it.)

2. Reimbursement - I'm keeping up with receipts and for example ordered a rental laptop ... got proper paperwork and signature from school registrar proving it was required and submitted yesterday. I'm hopeful this will work out as easy as tuition, but have no idea how long it will take to get reimbursed. We'll see.

3. Stipend/Bonus - Last week was orientation for my dental school, and my first day of class was yesterday, Monday 8/27. I would love to get my first stipend payment this Friday on 8/31, but have a feeling it won't come until 9/14 or maybe 10/1 or even later. I understand the bonus will be paid within 30 days of the first stipend payment. Hence - we need that first stipend payment to get the ball rolling:)

I'll share when I get my first stipend and bonus payment (comes in 3 installments) - so you can see if you are getting yours when I'm getting mine. If you are a D1 in any branch please share when you got your stipend/bonus - this way we'll know if we might have a problem we need to check on - since none of us know when we are supposed to get paid. Thanks in advance for any replies.

By the way, I know some of you may have had a school that started in June and you can share with us your timeline as it's possible you are already receiving your stipend/bonus and that will give us all a general idea as to what we can expect.

Anchors Aweigh![/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
D1 Air Force here. My school stated that they have billed them, but tuition is not paid for yet. I believe I received my stipend today actually, a little confused though. First I thought that military payment schedule was on the 1st of every month and the 15th, maybe its because its the day before? Anyways, it was not the amount I was expecting (lower). I started school on August 27th, so my guess is that the stipend for this payment cycle is reflective on how many days of “work” (school) have been completed and that’s why it is not necessarily the expected amount. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
D1 Air Force here. My school stated that they have billed them, but tuition is not paid for yet. I believe I received my stipend today actually, a little confused though. First I thought that military payment schedule was on the 1st of every month and the 15th, maybe its because its the day before? Anyways, it was not the amount I was expecting (lower). I started school on August 27th, so my guess is that the stipend for this payment cycle is reflective on how many days of “work” (school) have been completed and that’s why it is not necessarily the expected amount. Thoughts?

Military pay is usually scheduled on the 1st and the 15th unless those dates fall on a holiday or weekend. When that happens you get paid on the business day before.

Military pay is usually scheduled on the 1st and the 15th unless those dates fall on a holiday or weekend. When that happens you get paid on the business day before.

I understand, thank for the info!

- Luna S - It is a simple match. One year of service for every one year of HPSP received. Four years of HPSP equals four years of military service. Four years is a short term commitment in my mind compared to what many others may do. Consider this, some students may have well developed plans after dental school that are likely to lock them in for a lot more than four years. Maybe even for the rest of their life. For example, if a student opens their own practice they will have to know where they want to be for many many years to make that sort of investment. They may take out a loan and bind themselves to an an area for 10 to 30 years while they talk about how tied down an HPSP student is in the military. Not hardly...
- While I am working my first job by serving in the Navy - I actually have four extra years to be thinking about where I might like to open a practice and at the same time I'm building up my financial resources to do it. Or at the end of the four years, if I want, I can get out of the Navy and work for an established practice - Or I could decide to stay in the Navy - My point is that four years in the Navy isn't really a long time -and it provides me with additional time to consider my next career move.
Since I am single now, but may get married at some point in the next 8 years - it is nice that my spouse would be involved in deciding where we would locate more permanently in any of the above options. Since I am single - it's nice that I have location flexibility and could down the road make decisions with a spouse.
- Anyway ... if a person has a laser focused vision of what they want to do - and where they want to do it ... like getting straight out of school and taking over their father's dental practice ... then by all means, get of dental school and jump straight on it. But don't act like the four year minimum spent in the military is a long term commitment.
- In my case - I don't have anything like that lined up and it's comforting to know that I have a guaranteed first job already in place and to me it isn't a long term commitment at all in the Navy. Considering the job will have already paid me nearly $400,000 while I am in school and will give me a great salary and additional benefits for the next four years after that while I make my truly long term career plans during that time. The military doesn't put pressure on me ... it takes pressure off. I'm 22 now - and will graduate debt free with money in the bank. When I turn 26 - the Navy will provide me with a great first job and incredible benefits and opportunity to hone skill. On top of that, I've got until I'm 30 to really figure out my long term plans - if you know what I mean - and for me, that's nice.

UPDATE on my Tuition, Stipend, Reimbursement, Bonus ... Money rolling in (SMILE). I received together in one payment last Friday (9/31) my first stipend and my first bonus installment of $2,000 of the $20,000. My stipend was prorated -for the # of days I was in school of the two week pay period (10 days of the 15), so it was a little lower than what I will receive next time. I believe the stipend amount this year is will be around $2,330 a month divided into two payments of about $1,165 each - less taxes. I received on Tuesday (9/4) my second bonus installment of $9.000 (less taxes).

Wild Card - I do not like. My school informed me and other HPSP students that there is almost $2,000 in fees that are not covered each semester by HPSP. Most of it is something called the "Financial Aid Fee" - what is that? If I thought it would do any good I would inquire of the Navy about paying it - but since the school seems sure the Navy won't pay it ... why bother. Actually, I think it's ridiculous the school charges this weird fee - that the bursers office could not even explain. It's as though the school knew that HPSP students would receive personal (bonus) money from the Navy and thought up a way to extract it from us in the form of fees. Even so ... with the bonus and stipend the Navy still pays enough to cover this unexpected cost of $2000 and although I anticipated putting more money in my pocket for rent and what not - it is still a manageable amount.

I hope this helps somebody else out there.

Last edited:
Luna S - It is a simple match. One year of service for every one year of HPSP received. Four years of HPSP equals four years of military service. I look at it this way although some students may have well developed plans after dental school their plans are likely to lock them in long term - like for the rest of their life. Say a student opens their own practice tfor example. While I am serving in the Navy - that is to say while I am working my first job - I have four extra years to be thinking about where I might like to open a practice and building up my financial resources to do it. Or if I want to get out of the Navy and work for an established practice - where would that be and where would my spouse (if I'm married - right now I'm not - like to live and raise a family). Or I could decide to stay in the Navy - My point is that four years in the Navy isn't really a long time -and it provides me with additional time to consider my next career move. I'm single and if I were to get married - it's nice that I have location flexibility and could down the road make decisions with a spouse. Anyway ... if a person has a laser focused vision of what they want to do - and where they want to do it ... say I'm going to get out of school and take over their father's dental practice ... then by all means, get of dental school and jump straight on it. In my case - I don't have anything like that lined up and I like the thought that I have a guaranteed first job already in place and it really isn't a long term commitment at all in the Navy. A job that will have already paid me nearly $400,000 over the next four years and will give me a great salary and additional benefits for the next four years after that while I make my truly long term career plans during that time. The military doesn't put pressure on me ... it takes it off. I'm 22 now - and will graduate when I turn 26 - and my military service will take to at least 30. I've got until I'm 30 to really figure it all out - if you know what I mean - and for me, that's nice.

UPDATE on my Tuition, Stipend, Reimbursement, Bonus ... Money rolling in (SMILE). I received together in one payment last Friday (9/31) my first stipend and my first bonus installment of $2,000 of the $20,000. My stipend was prorated -for the # of days I was in school of the two week pay period (10 days of the 15), so it was a little lower than what I will receive next time. I believe the stipend amount this year is will be around $2,330 a month divided into two payments of about $1,165 each - less taxes. I received on Tuesday (9/4) my second bonus installment of $9.000 (less taxes).

Wild Card - I do not like. My school informed me and other HPSP students that there is almost $2,000 in fees that are not covered each semester by HPSP. Most of it is something called the "Financial Aid Fee" - what is that? If I thought it would do any good I would inquire of the Navy about paying it - but since the school seems sure the Navy won't pay it ... why bother. Actually, I think it's ridiculous the school charges this weird fee - that the bursers office could not even explain. It's as though the school knew that HPSP students would receive personal (bonus) money from the Navy and thought up a way to extract it from us in the form of fees. Even so ... with the bonus and stipend the Navy still pays enough to cover this unexpected cost of $2000 and although I anticipated putting more money in my pocket for rent and what not - it is still a manageable amount.

Thank you!!

- Luna S - It is a simple match. One year of service for every one year of HPSP received. Four years of HPSP equals four years of military service. Four years is a short term commitment in my mind compared to what many others may do. Consider this, some students may have well developed plans after dental school that are likely to lock them in for a lot more than four years. Maybe even for the rest of their life. For example, if a student opens their own practice they will have to know where they want to be for many many years to make that sort of investment. They may take out a loan and bind themselves to an an area for 10 to 30 years while they talk about how tied down an HPSP student is in the military. Not hardly...
- While I am working my first job by serving in the Navy - I actually have four extra years to be thinking about where I might like to open a practice and at the same time I'm building up my financial resources to do it. Or at the end of the four years, if I want, I can get out of the Navy and work for an established practice - Or I could decide to stay in the Navy - My point is that four years in the Navy isn't really a long time -and it provides me with additional time to consider my next career move.
Since I am single now, but may get married at some point in the next 8 years - it is nice that my spouse would be involved in deciding where we would locate more permanently in any of the above options. Since I am single - it's nice that I have location flexibility and could down the road make decisions with a spouse.
- Anyway ... if a person has a laser focused vision of what they want to do - and where they want to do it ... like getting straight out of school and taking over their father's dental practice ... then by all means, get of dental school and jump straight on it. But don't act like the four year minimum spent in the military is a long term commitment.
- In my case - I don't have anything like that lined up and it's comforting to know that I have a guaranteed first job already in place and to me it isn't a long term commitment at all in the Navy. Considering the job will have already paid me nearly $400,000 while I am in school and will give me a great salary and additional benefits for the next four years after that while I make my truly long term career plans during that time. The military doesn't put pressure on me ... it takes pressure off. I'm 22 now - and will graduate debt free with money in the bank. When I turn 26 - the Navy will provide me with a great first job and incredible benefits and opportunity to hone skill. On top of that, I've got until I'm 30 to really figure out my long term plans - if you know what I mean - and for me, that's nice.

That is insane that there is almost $2,000 in school fees that are not covered a SEMESTER. I have about $656 not covered, but that is only once a year. Something is off with your situation and I would figure it out. That is not right. Good luck!

Still haven't started my stipend--Anyone know how to get an estimate of when this will happen?

Still haven't started my stipend--Anyone know how to get an estimate of when this will happen?
Someone should have contacted you, asking when your school’s start date is. This would be your “first day on the job”. So every 1st and 15th of the month (unless that falls on a holiday or weekend as ABV2104 said above) you should get paid, but I think it is a little odd you have not received it yet. I believe I remember reading somewhere that if you do not receive the stipend within 30 days of starting school you should contact those who you handling your finances (not sure if it is the same acronym for every branch).

Someone should have contacted you, asking when your school’s start date is. This would be your “first day on the job”. So every 1st and 15th of the month (unless that falls on a holiday or weekend as ABV2104 said above) you should get paid, but I think it is a little odd you have not received it yet. I believe I remember reading somewhere that if you do not receive the stipend within 30 days of starting school you should contact those who you handling your finances (not sure if it is the same acronym for every branch).
When I filled out contracts and paperwork, I listed my start date. When you say "handling your finances" do you mean my bank or someone in the military?

When I filled out contracts and paperwork, I listed my start date. When you say "handling your finances" do you mean my bank or someone in the military?

Sorry, I should have been more specific instead of using that broad term. I mean to contact someone from the military. When I signed my contract my recruiter told me that anything related to payment, school billing, or literally anything about “my next steps” into active duty, I’m supposed to reach out to a specific department called AFIT (I am pretty sure this is Air Force specific and hence my reason for using the term “those who handle your finances”). I am not positive on who to contact for the other branches but I am assume there is a similar department that you are supposed to contact.

Thank you for clearing that up. I will see if I can find someone that I can contact.

I got a question for you guys. Congrats on receiving the scholarship! What did the navy or army or airforce tell you guys your salary will be after you graduate?