2 yr Partnership Track San Antonio...Need general and CT very needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cf817

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 year partnership track in San Antonio with great mix of pretty much everything. We cover multiple hospitals . Great mix of general , Ortho, urology, OB and Gyn and Neuro. 5 calls a month including one weekend . Otherwise out by 3. Also in great need of CT people for increasingly busy CT load. Bonus for fellowship trained . Six weeks of vacay . Extremely competitive salary first two years and amazing cost of living in San Antonio . Lots of opportunity to earn extra with call and OB shifts as well . Young guys don’t get screwed with picks of cases or dumped with call. Rotating schedule of call . First call ..you get first pick of cases .

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the practice set up (supervision vs doing solo cases). what's the starting salary ("competitive" isn't a salary), etc.

I hear rumblings that that USAP south texas is going to 4:1 supervision for general cases?

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Star/USAP..still doing our own cases...No idea what the immediate future holds for supervision .

It will head toward supervision 100%. Tejas, the other group in San Antonio, sold to Envision and they moved to a supervision model. Groups in Dallas once all MDs also turned to supervision model when bought out by USAP. In my opinion, I would stay away from any groups just bought out by USAP or any AMCs. Old partners just going through the notion until they are vested. Lots of instability. If you do want to go and work with them, just don’t buy a house and no expensive toys.

Reactions: 1 user
What does that “partnership” actually entail? Is it fair to say that you’re not a real owner of anything but USAP company script?

Also, how long until United HC starts canning your contracts like TH and Envision?

It will head toward supervision 100%. Tejas, the other group in San Antonio, sold to Envision and they moved to a supervision model. Groups in Dallas once all MDs also turned to supervision model when bought out by USAP. In my opinion, I would stay away from any groups just bought out by USAP or any AMCs. Old partners just going through the notion until they are vested. Lots of instability. If you do want to go and work with them, just don’t buy a house and no expensive toys.

Not looking to get into a debate about USAP, but just FYI now 5 years post-merger (in the DFW area) we remain 99.9% own cases just like we were before USAP. However, I don't know anything about the groups or the platform/leadership in San Antonio so can't comment

I find it disingenuous to call USAP job partnership track. Maybe I just don’t understand what is “partnership”...

• Love
Star/USAP..still doing our own cases...No idea what the immediate future holds for supervision .

By competitive salary, do you mean the 50% median MGMA salary for the southern US (~500k)? otherwise, please provide us with a clearer explanation of the starting salary other than saying its 'competitive'

By competitive salary, do you mean the 50% median MGMA salary for the southern US (~500k)? otherwise, please provide us with a clearer explanation of the starting salary other than saying its 'competitive'
Damn is that really 50%? Is that not counting benefits? (how much does that add)? i'm underpaid..

Damn is that really 50%? Is that not counting benefits? (how much does that add)? i'm underpaid..

Yes, but these salaries reflect a 1:3 or 1:4 supervision/medical direction model. For "solo" case management the low 400's is more the norm. They do not include benefits.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does that “partnership” actually entail? Is it fair to say that you’re not a real owner of anything but USAP company script?

Also, how long until United HC starts canning your contracts like TH and Envision?

Envision is "in network" with United Health Care at this time. UHC has lowered reimbursement to Envision for 2020.

If you want to apply for this job...please don’t buy a house. Things change and pretty fast change too! Star was probably selling when they were still recruiting for new partners.

They def were. Heard a story of 2+ years on the track and they sold out. Oops...all your lost wages.

The game these days is so f'ed up with all this consolidation bs.

Reactions: 2 users

I have friends who have recently spoken with USAP in San Antonio. It's 350k year 1, with a 25k signing bonus if you commit to 2 years. Year 2 is 375. So effectively 375 both years if you take the bonus. After two years you are voted on to be accepted as a "partner", and, if yes, then they said its a 100k buy-in of company stock that you can either purchase immediately or over 5 years. Apparently they were not very clear or willing to commit to a number as to what the typical partner takes home - would only say that it was variable depending on how much call they took.

Benefits were decent but not great. Vacation as above, retirement matching is 0.67 cents for every dollar you put in. Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance with different tiers available.

They are hiring like crazy right now. Current partners are taking 6-7 calls per month, some of them more if they opt for more OB or something.

Last edited:
I wonder how often this practice needed to advertise on a public forum before the sell-out :unsure:

• Hmm
Reactions: 8 users
@Swamp Gas was a part of this group. Care to chime in?

Apparently they were not very clear or willing to commit to a number as to what the typical partner takes home - would only say that it was variable depending on how much call they took.

:sendoff::sendoff::sendoff:

@Swamp Gas was a part of this group. Care to chime in?

:sendoff::sendoff::sendoff:
It was a very equitable and fair group prior to the buyout. Eat what you kill with more than enough cases to go around. Cases were picked in a revolving order. 10% of collections were taken and put towards your buy in. Most associates were done with buy in in their second year. High earning potential for everyone.

I tried to negotiate a stipulation for a buyout into my contract prior to my hire but they were not willing to alter the contract. I was assured that they had no interest in selling.

The buyout was a long process, it took about a year and a half from the time negotiations started. I was told that I would be made partner regardless of my timeline but was unable to get anything in writing. I didn’t want to continue investing my time with no guarantees and made the decision to leave.

As it turns out, the other Peds guys were ultimately made full partner prior to the buyout, some with only a year of time served. The opposite was also true. I know of a work horse generalist who was very well liked in the group who was not given a full share of the buyout even though the paper work was signed a couple months after he had fulfilled his 3 years.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I have friends who have recently spoken with USAP in San Antonio. It's 350k year 1, with a 25k signing bonus if you commit to 2 years. Year 2 is 375. So effectively 375 both years if you take the bonus. After two years you are voted on to be accepted as a "partner", and, if yes, then they said its a 100k buy-in of company stock that you can either purchase immediately or over 5 years. Apparently they were not very clear or willing to commit to a number as to what the typical partner takes home - would only say that it was variable depending on how much call they took.

Benefits were decent but not great. Vacation as above, retirement matching is 0.67 cents for every dollar you put in. Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance with different tiers available.

They are hiring like crazy right now. Current partners are taking 6-7 calls per month, some of them more if they opt for more OB or something.

AH so then the OP is INCORRECT in saying its a competitive package when it isnt even close to the MGMA median... 375 for that and 2 calls per week seems low... or am I being optimistic?

2 year partnership track in San Antonio with great mix of pretty much everything. We cover multiple hospitals . Great mix of general , Ortho, urology, OB and Gyn and Neuro. 5 calls a month including one weekend . Otherwise out by 3. Also in great need of CT people for increasingly busy CT load. Bonus for fellowship trained . Six weeks of vacay . Extremely competitive salary first two years and amazing cost of living in San Antonio . Lots of opportunity to earn extra with call and OB shifts as well . Young guys don’t get screwed with picks of cases or dumped with call. Rotating schedule of call . First call ..you get first pick of cases .

I think you have two of my residency friends there they seem to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This job reflects the new reality for many groups in decent areas. The real private practice gigs worth buying into are far fewer than just a decade ago.

Yes, those great jobs still exist but they don’t post on SDN. Instead, they can fill by word of mouth very quickly and they choose who they want to join.

The majority of Residents/Fellows will end up in a pseudo partnership, AMC or employee position

Reactions: 4 users