2 specialities interview at same hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just don't get it. This is the field you want to be in (med-peds) and the hospital you want to be at - take a freaking chance!

You may think your odds are "slim to none" - but guess what, they gave you not one but two interviews - they must like something about your application.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I think we are missing something or the OP is just enjoying the gymn...

in any event, I don't see how any of the discussion can be classified as,
"Discussion of Electronic Residency Application Service and the NRMP Match" .... aka title definer of this forum.

Ugh, if we're strict about that, this would be the most boring forum ever.

in any event, I don't see how any of the discussion can be classified as,
"Discussion of Electronic Residency Application Service and the NRMP Match" .... aka title definer of this forum.

:confused: How is this not a discussion involving the match and its required interview process?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh, if we're strict about that, this would be the most boring forum ever.
In other words, this thread really isn't in the correct forum, but it adds some entertainment for those of us reading the boring incorrect forum it currently resides in... Got you, understand the message, loud & clear.:bow:

:confused: How is this not a discussion involving the match and its required interview process?
You're serious? I am amazed given my most recent experience with the round about explanations for moving other threads and discussions....:confused:

I have read about interviews in this thread.... I have heard no specifics about ERAS or the NRMP.... i.e. title descriptor of this forum. I do, However, find numerous threads in combined residencies forum discussing med/peds and interviews....
Either way, I have voiced my opinion. I am not a mod and they can move and shuffle to "best" served forums and "most relevant", etc... as they see fit....

What? Are you reading the thread? This has more to do with the specialty of MedPeds and some nebulous ideas in one of their specific programs. It has a lot less to do with ERAS and the NRMP.

It doesnt even have anything to do with interviewing any more.

It apparently has something to do with the little known customs and practices of of MedPeds programs and their secret war on Internal Medicine.

Not everything is going to be black and white. Users interpret moderation policy as having no room for individual differences. It is clear from this and other forums that it is impossible to be completely objective and definitive.

Was the OP asking about a topic relevant to the match? Yes.

Could the thread have been placed into Gen Res or even the Med-Peds forum? Yes.

Are threads always moved when they don't exactly fit the topic? No.

I am a bit troubled by the multiple complaints here and elsewhere about SDN Moderation. We have an all volunteer staff, most of whom are hard working students, residents and attendings. All of us have made mistakes and there are times when we disagree as to how best to manage the various fora. I am troubled because I see an excessive amount of vitriol for what amounts to an internet forum and complaints directed at someone who is a thoughtful and warm person.

C'mon guys...does it really matter how hard the TOS is adhered to, day to day? Does it really matter whether every single thread is where its supposed to be? It is really worth it to personally attack another user who is giving of her time, outside of a busy residency, to HELP you?

I'd say no.

We never claimed to be perfect or that we wouldn't make mistakes. As far as I can see, this thread is appropriate for this forum. We have evaluated other threads which have been moved and found, as a group, that they were appropriately moved.

Users are asked to use appropriate channels when they have a complaint. They are directed to contact the moderator of the forum of concern first and if the issue cannot be resolved at that level, to move up the ladder to a Super Moderator (Blue) or Admin. Complaints directed against a staff member should not be made in a thread; this is a TOS akin to calling out another member. Regardless of how they are veiled, it is clear that the complaints are about staff and it pains me to see someone attacked when they are doing a good job while learning how to be a better moderator.

Not everything is going to be black and white. Users interpret moderation policy as having no room for individual differences. It is clear from this and other forums that it is impossible to be completely objective and definitive.

I am a bit troubled by the multiple complaints here and elsewhere about SDN Moderation. We have an all volunteer staff, most of whom are hard working students, residents and attendings. All of us have made mistakes and there are times when we disagree as to how best to manage the various fora. I am troubled because I see an excessive amount of vitriol for what amounts to an internet forum and complaints directed at someone who is a thoughtful and warm person.

C'mon guys...does it really matter how hard the TOS is adhered to, day to day? Does it really matter whether every single thread is where its supposed to be? It is really worth it to personally attack another user who is giving of her time, outside of a busy residency, to HELP you?

I'd say no.

We never claimed to be perfect or that we wouldn't make mistakes. As far as I can see, this thread is appropriate for this forum. We have evaluated other threads which have been moved and found, as a group, that they were appropriately moved.

Users are asked to use appropriate channels when they have a complaint. They are directed to contact the moderator of the forum of concern first and if the issue cannot be resolved at that level, to move up the ladder to a Super Moderator (Blue) or Admin. Complaints directed against a staff member should not be made in a thread; this is a TOS akin to calling out another member. Regardless of how they are veiled, it is clear that the complaints are about staff and it pains me to see someone attacked when they are doing a good job while learning how to be a better moderator.

Sorry WS... didnt mean to be offensive.

This particular thread has run its course, and some of us think it would actually benefit from being moved to the Combined Specialties forum for some more useful discussion.

Sometimes on internet forums we feel the need to make a big fuss to demonstrate the normal non-verbal communication that would have demonstrated a sense of conviction.

Not everything is going to be black and white...
I am a bit troubled by the multiple complaints here and elsewhere about SDN Moderation.

...Does it really matter whether every single thread is where its supposed to be? It is really worth it to personally attack another user who is giving of her time, outside of a busy residency, to HELP you?...
I'm not sure there was a personal attack here.... I am surprised the Mods came out to quickly determine leaving this thread here is most appropriate. I am trying to understand the inconsistencies. Previously, clearly NOT black & white, a decision was made:
...I'm not saying that none of this is important...

I moved the thread because I think that the people who benefit the most ...[insert combined residencies]
I agree with ...was appropriately moved.

...The topic of the quality of ...is of MOST interest to...[insert combined residencies]
I have inserted my OPINION in the brackets as to apply these rational to the current thread. IMHO, combined residencies is more appropriate and a more black & white decision then the recent one we know and love... Again, that was my opinion. As noted, movement to another, possibly more appropriate forum could provide more discussion with the med/peds folks within the combined residencies forum... You folks have made your call, so any continued discussion along those lines are irrelavent at this point. Again, I don't see disagreeing or voicing confusion at what appears to be inconsistencies to be a "personal attack"....

regards,
JAD

PS: if someone feels my suggestion to move thread and my supporting comments for said opinion have offended them or was a personal attack, please accept my apologies.

This particular thread has run its course, and some of us think it would actually benefit from being moved to the Combined Specialties forum for some more useful discussion.

Sometimes on internet forums we feel the need to make a big fuss to demonstrate the normal non-verbal communication that would have demonstrated a sense of conviction.

A politely worded PM would have gotten the point across just as well. I do read those, and try to respond in a timely manner.

In any case, I agree, I think that the user has gotten as much use out of the ERAS forum as he is going to get. I can move it to the combined residencies forum, although I don't know how much more info the OP will get, seeing as the moderator of that forum (group_theory) has already responded in this thread.

What? Are you reading the thread? This has more to do with the specialty of MedPeds and some nebulous ideas in one of their specific programs. It has a lot less to do with ERAS and the NRMP.

It doesnt even have anything to do with interviewing any more.

It apparently has something to do with the little known customs and practices of of MedPeds programs and their secret war on Internal Medicine.

:laugh:

I'd say no.

I agree..

IMHO, this thread had reached a level of saturation that had frustrated everyone on it except the OP, and these were the after effects of that frustration. Guys. let it be here...and OP, seriously, decide what you want to do. I think you have now reached a point where the more opinions you are asking, the more confused you are getting, so just think about what you want out of your life and do it - IM isnt so competitive that you are just going to be thrown out of that place. You seem the have the CV, and the interest in that institution, two things that seem to matter a lot, especially for IM.

I'm not sure there was a personal attack here....

I am not referencing this thread alone.

The volume of PMs I get complaining about moderation here and elsewhere is phenomenal. I'm simply asking that users try and visualize WHO is doing the moderation, the stress they are feel when users complain and why some members actually leave staff because they can't handle the daily complaints (see dragonfly's recent post about this). I also ask that users who do have a complaint actually use some well established channels rather than post polls deriding other members or post complaints in the thread.

Since there are only two moderators of that forum, where there are complaints about its moderation, it does become personal, because its pretty easy to tell who the complaints are about. So I stand by my comment that this thread, others like it and the PMs are personal attacks. I know they weren't meant as so and its easy to say, "hey its just an internet forum" but staff members do get upset when they are accused of not doing their job. I think we all would.

Suggestions for improvement are taken seriously. We all realize that moderation is difficult and some decisions aren't easy to make. A PM as suggested above goes a long way toward improving the site, and relationships amongst its users. Sometimes you don't get what you ask for, but know that it was considered and discussed.

So, let's move on and allow the OP to decide whatever he/she wants to do and proceed with business as usual which will be trying to make SDN better for everyone involved.

Back to the original topic

One thing to keep in mind - if you go ahead and interview Med-Peds, the worse that can happen is that they place you lower on their rank list (and there's a chance it may have no impact on the rank list). If you cancel the Med-Peds interview, your chance of ranking in med-peds is ZERO.

For medicine, it is unlikely to affect their ranking of you.

So I don't understand why you want to cancel the Med-Peds interview.

Just have a good answer to why you applied to both. A clear, concise answer may go a long way and won't affect your ranking. Babbling incoherent responses will make the interviewers question your logic and reasoning skills.

Whichever path you ultimately decide, I wish you the best of luck. 4th year is hard enough, and to hear conflicting advice and information can make one nervous and neurotic. Good luck at your interview(s).

Back to the original topic

One thing to keep in mind - if you go ahead and interview Med-Peds, the worse that can happen is that they place you lower on their rank list (and there's a chance it may have no impact on the rank list). If you cancel the Med-Peds interview, your chance of ranking in med-peds is ZERO.

For medicine, it is unlikely to affect their ranking of you.

So I don't understand why you want to cancel the Med-Peds interview.

Just have a good answer to why you applied to both. A clear, concise answer may go a long way and won't affect your ranking. Babbling incoherent responses will make the interviewers question your logic and reasoning skills.

Whichever path you ultimately decide, I wish you the best of luck. 4th year is hard enough, and to hear conflicting advice and information can make one nervous and neurotic. Good luck at your interview(s).

first THANK YOU for getting this thread to back to its original question and not making it about where it should it be parked!
and you said it right this absolutely is making me neurotic and being a 4th year and travelling the world for interviews with the money I dont have adds more fun to the process!

As others have said a lot of people who apply to Med-Peds also apply to IM and/or Peds or both and rank them all. Lots of applicants decide very late and many let the match make the final decision for them. The numbers of applicants interviewing in two programs are in the range of 30-40% for med-peds and IM and a little lower for med-peds and peds. Any med-peds PD would be a fool to convince themselves that a candidate is applying only to med-peds. With more than half our applicants on our rank list applying to multiple specialties how can we rank someone lower than others just because we know they are doing it. I think the issues will be:

1. If you are using med-peds as a back up to IM then how committed to seeing kids are you? Using IM as a back up for med-peds makes more sense.

2. You will need to convince the program directors that you are committed to staying in the program you match to.

3. Will you end up doing just IM or Peds when you are done or an IM or Peds fellowship or hospitalist position when you are done? If that is your intent then do not do med-peds. While you may have some added benefit from training in the specialty you do not practice you are taking that training away from someone who will practice both specialties.

As others have said a lot of people who apply to Med-Peds also apply to IM and/or Peds or both and rank them all. Lots of applicants decide very late and many let the match make the final decision for them. The numbers of applicants interviewing in two programs are in the range of 30-40% for med-peds and IM and a little lower for med-peds and peds. Any med-peds PD would be a fool to convince themselves that a candidate is applying only to med-peds. With more than half our applicants on our rank list applying to multiple specialties how can we rank someone lower than others just because we know they are doing it. I think the issues will be:

1. If you are using med-peds as a back up to IM then how committed to seeing kids are you? Using IM as a back up for med-peds makes more sense.

2. You will need to convince the program directors that you are committed to staying in the program you match to.

3. Will you end up doing just IM or Peds when you are done or an IM or Peds fellowship or hospitalist position when you are done? If that is your intent then do not do med-peds. While you may have some added benefit from training in the specialty you do not practice you are taking that training away from someone who will practice both specialties.

Thanks that probably was the best answer my to question so far!!!